Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD might start playing GWFC schools in 2008

Argus-Leader article:
    The plan, agreed to informally by Great West athletic directors, would have USD playing Southern Utah and Cal Poly from the league in 2008. UND would play UC Davis and Southern Utah, with the five teams playing a complete round-robin schedule in 2009.
    The article goes on to say that UCD didn't want to play two non-counters in 2008.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: USD might start playing GWFC schools in 2008

One can't blame UC-Davis or Cal Poly for only scheduling one of the UxDs in 2008. The Aggies plan to be perrenial playoff contenders and having too many non-counters would be a major hinderance. In addition, Cal Poly missed out on a playoff berth in 2004 in part because they played both SDSU and NDSU, both non-counters during that season.

Comment

Quick questions:
      Can the UxD's schools participate in DII postseason play during the 2007-08 year, which is their transional year. Also, is the NCC still in tact for 2007 or was this thier last year. Last question: what's the first year the UxD's will be able to participate in post season play....2012-13?
      Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFan06
        Quick questions:
        Can the UxD's schools participate in DII postseason play during the 2007-08 year, which is their transional year YES, but not in '08-09, when they are a "non-counter". Think SDSU in 2004.. Also, is the NCC still in tact for 2007 or was this thier last year. 2007/2008 will be the last school year of the NCC  Last question: what's the first year the UxD's will be able to participate in post season play....2012-13? Yes
        Thanks.
        GO JACKS! 8-)

Comment

The Coyotes and Sioux are joining the GWFC in 2008

http://argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll...PORTS/70802047
          Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by DunesRabbit
            The Coyotes and Sioux are joining the GWFC in 2008

It always feels good when your little brother follows in your footsteps. Big shoes to fill fellas, are you up to it?
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
              [quote author=DunesRabbit link=1179334354/0#4 date=1186101618]The Coyotes and Sioux are joining the GWFC in 2008

It always feels good when your little brother follows in your footsteps.  Big shoes to fill fellas, are you up to it?[/quote]

Filling NDSU's shoes maybe a big task, filling SDSU's shoes not such a big task. USD was created first and will always be the older brother.

A little trivia for the Jacks fans to think about, when was the last year that SDSU was in the lead in the all time series between the schools. Answer that and then tell me about big and little brothers.

Comment

D-I > D-II

11,377 > 8,746

SDSU > USD

You may be older, but we are bigger and better and you are following us around!  ;D ;D ;D

Go State!  

P.S. Congrats to the Yotes on the Great West invite, best of luck to you in '08.

Comment

'Ucks- A few quick points:

1) USD may have been founded first, but it took the founding of SDSU for the people of Vermillion to get around to actually starting the school. If my memory serves me corrrectly, there's about a 20-year period that USD existed only as an act of the territorial legislature.

2) During your lifetime, what is the record between SDSU and USD? I'm certain that USD does not have the upper hand (unless you are actually 100 years old)>

Since this is not supposed to be a smack thread, I'll comment on the five-year commitment that the 'Yotes and the Fighting Ralphs made to the GWFC.
                  1) They must be praying that either the GWFC merges with another conference or adds members in order to gain an auto playoff bid.
                  2) UC-Davis and Cal-Poly areprobably not planning a move to the Bowl Division (I-A) anytime soon.
                  3) Just the friendly reminder that Notre Dame will probably be playing the Gophers before SDSU and USD play on the gridiron again.........

Comment

Eventhough I personally don't favor playing SDSU I predict it will happen within the next 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUcks
                      Eventhough I personally don't favor playing SDSU I predict it will happen within the next 4 years.  
                      It'll happen when we want it to happen, that much you can count on. Its not going to make one bit of difference what your preference is. I suspect a lot of decision about your life are that way. Again, to be envied is much better than to be pitied.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

And that just goes to prove how young you are. Not only in body but reasoning too.

Comment

[/quote]Filling NDSU's shoes maybe a big task, filling SDSU's shoes not such a big task.  USD was created first and will always be the older brother.[/quote]

OK, let's try to clear up this whole who came first thing.  I did my undergraduate work at SDSU and just finished my master's work in history at USD.  At my thesis defense a couple of weeks ago, this subject came up.  My major advisor, who has done South Dakota history for 40 years, brought up the people who talk about USD being the state's flagship university, then said "How dumb can you be?"

After that, I thought I'd do a little reading in a book called "Higher Education in South Dakota," published by USD Press in 1989.  Everyone seems to agree that the territorial legislature did indeed create the University of South Dakota in 1862.  This lengthy quote is from the chapter on USD, written by USD Professor Emeritus of English and Theatre Wayne Knutson:

"As a result of the Great Dakota Boom, more than a quarter of a million settlers had come to Dakota Territory by 1888.  Such growth made the need for higher education inevitable.  The potential dedication of federal funds through the Morrill Land Grant College Act was another stimulus to the territorial legislature, which in 1881 authorized an agricultural college in Brookings, several normal schools for teacher training, and a penitentiary in Sioux Falls.  Challenged by these developments and the great flood of 1881, which had essentially destroyed Vermillion, local Vermillion leaders Jefferson Kidder, a recently appointed justice of the Supreme Court of Dakota Territory; Darwin Inman, a banker; Dr. F.N. Burdick, a physician and entrepreneur; and John L. Jolley, a lawyer, teacher, and land office clerk, met in Kidder's office on April 30, 1881.  There they planned strategies for their debilitated town and reviving 'that university project' seemed a particularly good idea for their purpose.  They formed a nonprofit association to establish the University as authorized by the territorial act of 1862."

Sorry for the lengthy post, but from this passage it's clear the territorial legislature did create USD in 1862.  However, the university existed as an idea only for 20 years.  It was not until the Land Grant money became available and SDSU (along with a number of other state universities) was established that local leaders in Vermillion decided to move their backsides and actually do something about CREATING a university.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyjackrabbit
                            Filling NDSU's shoes maybe a big task, filling SDSU's shoes not such a big task.  USD was created first and will always be the older brother.
                            OK, let's try to clear up this whole who came first thing.  I did my undergraduate work at SDSU and just finished my master's work in history at USD.  At my thesis defense a couple of weeks ago, this subject came up.  My major advisor, who has done South Dakota history for 40 years, brought up the people who talk about USD being the state's flagship university, then said "How dumb can you be?"

After that, I thought I'd do a little reading in a book called "Higher Education in South Dakota," published by USD Press in 1989.  Everyone seems to agree that the territorial legislature did indeed create the University of South Dakota in 1862.  This lengthy quote is from the chapter on USD, written by USD Professor Emeritus of English and Theatre Wayne Knutson:

"As a result of the Great Dakota Boom, more than a quarter of a million settlers had come to Dakota Territory by 1888.  Such growth made the need for higher education inevitable.  The potential dedication of federal funds through the Morrill Land Grant College Act was another stimulus to the territorial legislature, which in 1881 authorized an agricultural college in Brookings, several normal schools for teacher training, and a penitentiary in Sioux Falls.  Challenged by these developments and the great flood of 1881, which had essentially destroyed Vermillion, local Vermillion leaders Jefferson Kidder, a recently appointed justice of the Supreme Court of Dakota Territory; Darwin Inman, a banker; Dr. F.N. Burdick, a physician and entrepreneur; and John L. Jolley, a lawyer, teacher, and land office clerk, met in Kidder's office on April 30, 1881.  There they planned strategies for their debilitated town and reviving 'that university project' seemed a particularly good idea for their purpose.  They formed a nonprofit association to establish the University as authorized by the territorial act of 1862."

Sorry for the lengthy post, but from this passage it's clear the territorial legislature did create USD in 1862.  However, the university existed as an idea only for 20 years.  It was not until the Land Grant money became available and SDSU (along with a number of other state universities) was established that local leaders in Vermillion decided to move their backsides and actually do something about CREATING a university.

Classic Post! Thanks johnnyjackrabbit!!!

Comment

Isn't funny how facts keep getting in the way?  Derailed again.  Ucks to be you.

As for johnny's post, brilliant!!

Comment

Working...
                              X