SDSU and Brookings Community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU and Brookings Community

I was just wondering what people would like to see done in the Community of Brookings and on the Campus of SDSU? I am not just talking athletics. ie. research park that is be planned. What things would you like to see added to the campus?

Re: SDSU and Brookings Community

As far as campus goes I would definitely like to see SDSU do a better job with general maintenance (lack of a better term) such as clean up leaves and debris that collects around buildings (ie: under the steps at the library) and paint the fire hydrants. They could use a fresh coat, same with the painted curbs on the street. I am sure there are others but I am trying not to create a laundry list here.

I would love to see SDSU add/ increase some outdoor artwork or sculptures. I know South Dakota has great artist and I think making SDSU home to some of their work would be great. I also think Brookings could do this and add the artwork to one of the parks in town or maybe along portions of the bike path.

I would also like to see an outdoor or indoor fountain and maybe a reflection pound. But with the climate probably hard to do.

One more (at least for now), I would like to see SDSU add some more flagpoles around campus. I would like to see three flags poles in front of the HPER Center; one for the U.S. Flag, one for SD State Flag and one for the SDSU Flag - same thing at the Student Union. At CAS add a pole for the SD state flag and one for the SDSU Flag and maybe fly a bigger U.S. Flag during games at CAS.

Sorry one more on CAS, I would like SDSU to increase the number of evergreen trees around the outside fences. I really like the trees on the north side and think it would add to CAS beauty on a warm autumn day to have the stadium surrounded by trees.
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

i hate to say it but those trees won't be around for long... the stadium up date in the near future will change the place big time.

Comment

In my dream vision I always saw a U shaped stadium that was open to the north with a beautiful building on the other side of the trees. With a tunnel through the trees for the team to come through.

Comment

Coughlin, already great, and yet still has so much potential.

Comment

I think Montana State's stadium is a good example of how much potential CAS has.  Here is a link to a picture of their stadium: http://www.msubobcats.com/upload/FAC-stadium_left.jpg.
            With lockerrooms on the North side, new East stands and some seating on the South side they could create an entirely new stadium.  I am assuming that Montana State just added seats on one side and turned the old stands into the visitor/student section.  I also read that there new grandstand, built in 1998, has forty suites.  That would be an awesome improvement to CAS.
            If there are additional lockerrooms included in the building for baseball and softball, then I hope we also build a new track and soccer field and where the "Backyard" currently is, and house their lockerrooms in the same building.  This would create a very centralized athletic complex.  They could always move tailgating to another area. (Sorry if moving the "Backyard" offends anyone, but tailgating is more about the festivities than the location.)

Comment

On a side note, while looking on the web site for the architects that designed MSU's stadium I saw that they had designed an athletics master plan for SDSU.

Sorry for the size, you can only get a thumbnail of the design.
              I looks like it must be outdatted, as there is no PAC or baseball or softball field.  Still looks impressive.  I wonder what happened to this idea.

Comment

no need for a new soccer complex the fishback complex is nice and i think it meets the needs of our soccer program.

Comment

plans are on the book to get rid of rotunda lane and make it all greenspace. but they would replace that with like loops around certain parts of campus. you should see it the masterplan has some good stuff in it.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                    plans are on the book to get rid of rotunda lane and make it all greenspace. but they would replace that with like loops around certain parts of campus. you should see it the masterplan has some good stuff in it.
                    They can't get rid of rotunda lane for a couple of reasons.

1. It is the only way emergency vehicles can get to some buildings.

2. It is the only way to get coal to the power plant.

I worked on a project my final year at SDSU with the engineers in the administration. They want to close student and faculty access to rotunda lane but they can't completely block if off for the two reasons above. They would make up the parking spaces lost on the outskirts of the campus and maybe run buses down rotunda.
                    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                    -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

actually the plans we got today for our tech communication class show otherwise, i don't know how long term the plans are but they show the closing of the road. there was talk about switching the power plant to a different source of energy i'll post more in the future about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X