teenage accidents on the rise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teenage accidents on the rise

yet again today there was another deadly accident involving a teenager in south dakota. this time it was two brookings girls if anyone hasnt read up on south dakota new lately there have been a lot of accidents involving teens dying lately. man not a good way to start summer.

Re: teenage accidents on the rise

Originally posted by thebluehatman
    yet again today there was another deadly accident involving a teenager in south dakota.  this time it was two brookings girls if anyone hasnt read up on south dakota new lately there have been a lot of accidents involving teens dying lately.  man not a good way to start summer.
    We have certainly had some tragic incidents lately.  Alcohol has been implicated in some, but would certainly not be a factor in the accident involving two students on their way to school.  The low age in South Dakota for allowing teenagers to drive has been criticized but the recent accidents that I can recall have involved drivers over the ages of 14 and 15 which have been the target of the critics.

When I was beginning to drive, alcohol, messing with the 8-track player and talking on the CB radio were the big dangers and distractions for driving.  Alcohol is still there but the format of the others has changed a bit from 8-track to MP-3 or satellite radio and from CB to cell phone.

It seems that the questions are still the same.  The other thing that is still the same is that I don't know the answers.  As a parent with kids in both college and high school I live every day with a certain amount of fear and experience a bit of concern every time the phone rings.  I am really appreciating what I put my own parents through.

Comment

I know one of the kids that was involved in the tragic accident today! Two sisters and the only children for the parents. Any parents worst nightmare!

My thoughts and prayers are with them.

All you can do in a situation like this is hug your own kids, tell them you love them, and live life to the fullest each day because every day is so precious.

I feel the same today as when I heard about the tragic passing of Doug Miller.

SUPERBUNNY :'(
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

personally i have the radio buttons memorized so i dont have to look away when driving. but i have this problem with answering texts and calls while driving but im getting better at those. more and more distractions for teenagers these days.

Comment

I think that they should ban cell phone use in a vehicle except for hands free operation but it would be about impossible to enforce.

There have been a few times when I've been on the road and been distracted by dialing, etc.  It's happened to all of us.  

We all just have to do out best to make the roads a safe place!!!

For the record, no indications of what happened today being related to distractions but I'm sure the details will be on the news tonight!

Tragic!!!!!!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Here is the link to the story on KELO:

http://www.keloland.com/News/NewsDet...cfm?Id=0,48219

Doesn't get much more tragic than this!!!!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Also, a big teenage drinking party broken up in the NE part of SD . . . a pickup accident with about seven people in it driven by a teenager under the influence in rural Pennington County . . . a motorcyclist killed in Rapid City when hit by a teenager (19 years old) under the influence of drugs.

Today's keloland.com and argusleader.com are full of pretty disturbing news regarding our teenagers.

What can we do?

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
                I know one of the kids that was involved in the tragic accident today!  Two sisters and the only children for the parents.  Any parents worst nightmare!  

My thoughts and prayers are with them.

All you can do in a situation like this is hug your own kids, tell them you love them, and live life to the fullest each day because every day is so precious.

I feel the same today as when I heard about the tragic passing of Doug Miller.  

SUPERBUNNY :'(
                Yes this is very sad and tragic. Apparently the young lady was in a very big hurry and reports are that she never stop for a stop sign. A very fatal choice that any adult could make too. I think we all need to be careful when driving.

As far as the teens and their open air parties in parks and on private property, I think the law should continue to crack down on them. Parents need to be supportive in doing this. DARE can't do it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                  [quote author=SUPERBUNNY link=1148321874/0#2 date=1148325109]
                  Yes this is very sad and tragic. Apparently the young lady was in a very big hurry and reports are that she never stop for a stop sign. A very fatal choice that any adult could make too. I think we all need to be careful when driving.

As far as the teens and their open air parties in parks and on private property, I think the law should continue to crack down on them. Parents need to be supportive in doing this. DARE can't do it all.
                  Absolute tragedy, my wife went to high school with their father. As a father of 2 daughters I could not imagine going on without either of them much less both. My heart and prayers go out to the Loban family and the communities who know them well.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Cathi Loban was (maybe still is) a secretary in the College of Pharmacy. Terrible tragedy.

Comment

According to Rudes Funeral Home obiturary Cathie would be the grandmother.

http://www.webfh.com/fh/obituaries/o...815CF39EBD6930

Rudes has kind of nice site with a tribute video and also a mail box to express condolences. I dont think there has been this many posts for any one person like you will see for Ashley and Amanda.

Even though I dont know the people, I feel very sad for this family. I express my deepest condolences.

Comment

another weekend another teenage tradegy. the madness continues. this time a girl from howard. and the argus leader makes a big deal out of alcohol being a factor in all of these accidents even though it isnt the case in 50 percent of these accidents.

Jessica Heiberger, 16, wasn’t wearing a seat belt and was ejected when the 1993 Chevy Suburban she was driving left the road and rolled about 7:45 a.m., said Highway Patrol Trooper Derek Vargas.

The crash happened on 437th Avenue near 230th Street in Miner County, about 3 miles east of Howard, Vargas said.

The accident is still under investigation. It is unknown if alcohol was a factor.

apparently teens have nothing better to do on their way to work while driving so they must drink while driving. now if it was someone in their 30's they wouldn't mention alcohol until an autopsy was done.

Comment

Working...
                        X