• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staurolite has new owners

From the Brookings Register:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...63&page=23

Gulbranson, investors purchase Staurolite Inn

BY JILL FIER

While rumors about the sale of one of the city’s largest hotels have been floating around for months, this time it’s actually true.

Developer Dean Gulbranson, Realtor David Kneip and attorney Tim Hogan, all of Brookings, and Sioux Falls Realtor Greg Kneip are the new owners of the Staurolite Inn and Suites.

The group, now called Star Hospitality, LLC, took over the hotel’s operations as of June 1. The sale was finalized later in the month.

The last owner was a corporation based out of Rochester, Minn. The hotel was built in the early 1970s, and the new Brookings group is the first local owner since it was sold by Don Behrend in the 1990s.

Gulbranson, who will be the managing partner because of his previous experience operating the old Holiday Inn and the Comfort Inn, said the name of the hotel will remain the same. The manager, Tom Jones, and the staff of 25 employees will also stay put.

Gulbranson said the last owner put almost $1 million into upgrading the hotel, and the four new partners want to continue in that direction.

“Within the next two to three months, there will be some changes in-house to improve the property. The first thing is we just need to improve some equipment. And then room decor, that type of thing. Some of the rooms have been upgraded, but not all of them, so we need to work at that,” he said. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Staurolite has new owners

Any word on whether they'll be reopening the bar? I bartended there from Dec to June after graduation while waiting for lawschool to start. Also painted and did basic carpentry on several of the rooms. Not many people better than Don. He was a good guy who also reffed our intersquad football games each spring/fall. It would be nice to see the Staurolite brought back to a nice hotel again.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Dean Gulbranson and David Kneip are good men. They will do a nice job with the property and breath some life into it!

The town needs another nice hotel with convention/restaurant/bar facilities in it!

I remember many a hangover after being in the "Quarry Lounge" during the college years.

Good times!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
        Any word on whether they'll be reopening the bar?  I bartended there from Dec to June after graduation while waiting for lawschool to start.  Also painted and did basic carpentry on several of the rooms.  Not many people better than Don.  He was a good guy who also reffed our intersquad football games each spring/fall.  It would be nice to see the Staurolite brought back to a nice hotel again.
        Dollar pitcher night!! Quarry then downtown. I think it was Thursday night. Don was a good guy. The former Holiday Inn bar has certainly changed.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Did the previous owners of the Staurolite sell its liquor license to another business?? I think that Brookings is at the maximum number of city liquor licenses allowed by state law (unless you pull a Mitchell and annex a couple of county licenses every year).

Comment

I was thinking that they had the ability to have one more somehow if it had to deal with hotel/convention property, but I could be wrong on that. Cubby's and 9 (former Chevy) are owned by the same bunch now and I suppose they could sell one of those licenses if they knocked a hole in the wall between the two.

How many thousands is a liquor license worth?

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Doesn't the Staurolite still have a bar today? I haven't been there for a while but as of 2004 i know they still had a bar and liquor license.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

The restaurant is now call the Fireside Restaurant Restaurant and Lounge, so one could assume that they have both a bar and liquor license. I heard an add for them on the radio today!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

I knew that the Staurolite had the Fireside, but I wasn't sure if they still had liquor (as opposed to just a malt license) as I've never been in the restaurant (despite being in Brookings the past four years). Regardless, I am glad that the establishment has some local owners who sound like they want to make some significant improvements to the place.

Comment

Working...
                  X