• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future for area small colleges also in limbo

Division I decisions at Augie, USD a factor for other in-state schools
    Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com
    July 13, 2006

As two more area colleges investigate a move to Division I, smaller schools in South Dakota remain in a holding pattern.

Some are concerned about the stability of their own leagues. Some see an opportunity to increase their visibility with a move to Division II from NAIA. Some are waiting on what could be a pivotal piece of NCAA legislation that could change scholarship limits.

"The fact that all of these schools around us are looking at moving up obviously has some kind of impact on us," said Willie Sanchez, athletic director at the University of Sioux Falls, an NAIA school. "This is a topic that is discussed here every day."
    read more http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...607130346/1002

Re: Future for area small colleges also in limbo

Does Willie Sanchez still ref basketball and will we see him more as a ref when we get into the Mid-Con?

Boy, I remember how he could make the game about him! That's not good by the way!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Re: Future for area small colleges also in limbo

I dont think Willie has any time to ref anymore. I do respect Willie for his hard work at USF. No doubt the USF president is pushing him to upgrade facilities and programs, but that usually is true in all cases. AD's are the tail on the dog and seldom do they wag the dog.

When you look back at how Fred Oien was preceived for following Dr. Millers direction in movement to D1, it did not seem at the time that SDSU actions would cause all this stir that is now going on at the D2 and NAIA level or enough for Chris Solari to develope this fine article. These smaller schools are going to have to do things differently in order to maintain their programs, or soon they will be like De Paul, Creighton and U of Chicago football programs, namely non-existent.

Comment

Working...
      X