Huron University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huron University

What does everyone else think of the old Huron University (sorry I do not know all the other names it has held) auctioning off everything? I am amazed that is for sure. Anyone going? I heard they have all kinds of athletic equipment that has never been used (still in boxes). It might be worth the trip.

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=3789

We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Re: Huron University

My dad drug me to quite a few of Huron College's (as they were called at that time) men's basketball games in the early-mid 80's. I'm sure there are some on the board who could provide more info than me, but they had a great run in basketball at that time. The coach's name escapes me, but he brought in a bunch of talent with questionable backgrounds. He got those kids to play together and I believe the may have won the NAIA championship one year. Or came close? My memories are of loud crowds, a hot gym and my dad making me the perfect paper airplane to placate me while he was trying to watch the game. Most of those old HC players stuck around Huron. I actually ended up playing against quite a few of them in the Huron 3 on 3 and Desmet 3 on 3 tourneys.

It's crazy how fast that school went in the toilet. My theory is they should have stayed Huron College. Once they changed to Huron University, kharma started to take a big dump on them. In all seriousness, I would love to be at the auction. They used to have football. Having an old HU helmet would be a pretty cool item in any guy's sports room. What a great conversation starter. Anyone going?
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I was just going through some of the auction items. Man, would my wife kill me if I bought some of the things on there that I really want. Portable batting cage? Entire Basketball hoop setup! Basketball shorts and jerseys! There are some cool items in there.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Theres a lot of really good stuff in the auction. It would be fun to put bids in on some of this stuff. It is really sad that an athletic department that was having success in some sports had to shut down like that.

Comment

Huron College, formally the Scalpers, the Tribe and as of late Screaming Eagles had a storied past.

The school changed its format from a college to a University when they purchased a school in England.  Because a college is a prep school in Europe the name was changed to recognise it as an upper educational institution.

The best years for the school were when it was owned I beleive by the Prespraterian (sp) church during the 60s' and 70s'.  A lot of coaches and teachers in the state of SD came from Huron College.  Canadian Football Hall of Famer and former Olympian Garney Henley was an HC graduate.   Their wrestling program under the direction of Vern Tate was a terror to institutions accross the country.  Back then they wrestled and played BB in the "Pit"  which is no longer standing.  

The mens BB team in 1982 or 83 was featured in Sports Illustrated along with the Huron Arena because of its unique white tile playing floor at the time.  Coach Fred Paulsen had a connection with the Pentagon and brought in five former All Marine basketball players.  The article started with a two page full size picture of the players in various Marine uniforms standing on the stage of the band shell on Dakota Ave. in Huron...big mural of an eagle flying over the red, white and blue in the back ground.  

Dennis Smith who worked at Twin City Fan for years here in Brookings was one of those former Marines.  Felton Bekett and Tony Braxton were also two of the former Marines.  The other four starters of Braxtons high school went on to Major Div. I programs while he chose the Military route first.  I was a member of the All Marine Football team in the early 80's and this is where I met Dennis.  Side note they didnt win the National Championship but were in the tournament pretty much every year.

I also beleive at the NAIA HAll of Fame there is a picture of former NAIA and pro basketball player Dennis Rodman dunking over a couple of Tribe players in a game at the National Tournament.

I think this is the same team that came here and beat my beloved blue and yellow rabbits before the national tournament.

The Tribe women took second in the NAIA tourney in the late 80s' under the tutalage of a former Irogouis High School coach and Northern State bb player...Lonnie Stover I think? (If someone knows his name for sure please correct me)?

Other former coaches of recognition at HC (CT, HU...etc) were Bruce Carrier, Vern McKee, Bob Beatie the list goes on and on...not to mention alumni that are still coaching and activity directors around this region.

The schools down fall started when purchased by Colorado Tech then hit rock bottom when the Native Americans bought them. (This is not a slam on our Native American members)...just stating facts.

It is sad to see schools such as HU, Yankton College (Lyle Alzados Alma Matter), Springfield and the such close down but in todays high cost, higher educational realm it seems that smaller private and state supported schools are the first to take major hits.

I'm sure there is alot of fantastic memorabilla that I would like to look into, can anyone tell me in a PM where to look up the list?

Comment

the link in the starting post on this thread will take you to all of the auction materials. You are able to bid on them on that site as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
              It's crazy how fast that school went in the toilet.  My theory is they should have stayed Huron College.  Once they changed to Huron University, kharma started to take a big dump on them.  In all seriousness, I would love to be at the auction.  They used to have football.  Having an old HU helmet would be a pretty cool item in any guy's sports room.  What a great conversation starter.  Anyone going?
              Changing from HC to HU was not as bad as when they dropped the HU completly and went to Si Tanka University after the Eagle Butte Si-Tanka bought them.  It made a lot of there alumni mad about not having an identity to there school.  There have been some pretty successful alumni with deep pockets that kept it bailed out over the last decade.  They quit giving after that.  

Having a HU helmet would be nice but it would have the Si Tanka logo on it.  They were still called the screaming eagle so I am not sure why they thought they had to change the helmets to the Si Tanka logo.  It was just another foolish way they spent money.  The equipment is mostly brand new or new and would be a good buy for any university or highschool.

Comment

Too bad everything is in lots.
                Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

I have great memories of HU Tribe games (basketball, football, and wrestling) My sister graduated from there in 1982. What a school (athletically speaking) academically well... they had great sports teams back then!!

Comment

More links for the Auction for anyone

interested.http://www.maascompanies.com/response.asp?project_id=41

We...ARE...STATE!
                    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by D-town
                      More links for the Auction for anyone

interested.http://www.maascompanies.com/response.asp?project_id=41
                      I'd like that popcorn popper and hot dog warmer for the tailgate lot.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I made a mistake in my babble last night...Its Herman Braxton not Tony Braxton... whoooppps! :P

Comment

Toni Braxton is a VERY hot R&B singer...

Comment

the eagles uniform they have for auction is pretty hot looking lol. and the cheerleader uniforms get the girls dressed up in that lol. hotness pure and simple.

Comment

There's a lot of cool stuff on there. Tons of office and kitchen equipment. I can't believe that they are auctioning off things like the championship banners that hung in the basketball arena. Kind of sad to see everything just disappear dor the alumni.

What are the future plans for the rest of the facility?

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X