Randell Beck's column Gov Rounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randell Beck's column Gov Rounds

I was very happy when Gov Rounds was elected in the Republican Primary in 2002 and went on to win over Jim Abbott, the USD president.  Now I am not so sure how much help he has been to SDSU, other than his appointments to the Board of Regents. I was not impressed with use of state owned aircraft for personal use. I suppose being a retired fed govt employee who got a ton of lectures on ethics in my career kind makes me wonder how smart is this guy? Not very smart or is he just plain arrogant when it came to the use of state owned aircraft.  I thought the abortion ban signing was excessive and pandering to the right wing of SD, but I plan to reverse this signing into law this fall by voting to reverse this amendment. The gutting of a bill intented to protect sacred grounds of native americans Bear Butte near Sturgis and being rewritten so that one can build an alchohol distillery really takes the cake.  To top it off two of the Governor's brothers are going to build a distillory in Pierre. As the Church lady would" Isn't that special".

Randell Beck of the Argus is also ethically confused.  As a registered Democrat I can not vote for the relection of Gov Rounds. The fact that Gov Rounds is a SDSU alum does not really matter. In fact does he really care about SDSU? He sent his Lt Gov down to Brookings for the Mid Con campus visit. Governor Hoeven North Dakota Governor, a UND grad made a special trip to Fargo when the Mid con visited. So what ever was on the Gov's schedule it superceded the Mid Con rep's visit to Brookings and Spearfish. I am just not impressed. Maybe others are and can defend him. I sure can not.

Here is  the Randell's column:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...2/COLUMNISTS01

Re: Randell Beck's column Gov Rounds

A general comment (not directed specifically at Haldersham, but at all posters and potential posters):

Discussion on this and other SD political issues is welcome, but I'd just like to ask in advance if everyone would remember we're all Jackrabbit fans here (well, mostly ) so it's my hope we'll keep the discussion at a "sitting next to your buddies in the stands" point of view.

Agree or disagree with one another as you will, but let's not let things evolve into flame wars and bitter feelings.

Thanks.

(Personally, the distillery thing strikes me as being a bit weird at least, but sitting here in K.C. I don't know enough about it to have a more defined opinion).
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Thanks Filbert. I have never met the Governor, but have admired him for his charm and some of his ideas are very progressive for South Dakota Standards. His popularity seems to be almost unshakeable. Why he has created all these questionable appearences is beyond me. I think too since one party has dominated the legislature for a number of sessions,  there has been some arrogance assumed by the majority party and what we don't often see is probably very troubling.  Clarence Koositra our anti D1 guy also voted against the abortion bill. He was challenged in the Republican primary and lost. As Randell Beck mentioned he also voted against the distillery bill.  I have heard that he is considering switching parties.

I am equally disappointed with Democratic Party in that they dont have candidates for all legislative races, and Jack Billion is going to have to spend a great deal of money to make the race close. The last poll showed Billion with about 26 percent and Rounds had a real high number despite all these things. No matter how I vote, I think there will be 20 people to cancell my vote and Rounds gets another term.

One good thing I can say is that Rounds supported SDSU in the research park and with BOR asking for 19 million extra in the next budget bill I think this was done with many assurance of passing in the legislature and signature by the Gov. Oh well it could be much worse.

Comment

Clarence Koositra did switch parties but he is no longer a legislator.

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente
          Clarence Koositra did switch parties but he is no longer a legislator.
          Getting beat in the primary will do that!!

Comment

Working...
          X