Jackrabbits up, Coyotes down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackrabbits up, Coyotes down

I know this was posted on another thread, but the Aberdeen Paper had a much longer article and the story just warms my heart.  

http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aber...l/15303024.htm

Jackrabbits seem to be on the rebound

By John Papendick
    American News Sports Editor

Jackrabbits seem to be hopping back onto the South Dakota wildlife landscape.

"There used to be lots of them," said Brook Brown, a South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks conservation officer stationed in Brown County. "Years and years ago, like back in the 1950s, I heard of people having jackrabbit drives where people would surround a section of land and drive them to the middle and get rid a lot of them that way. I guess sometimes churches would put them on.

"I have noticed in the last couple of years that there are more jackrabbits in the countryside when I am out performing my duties," said Brown. A year or so ago, Brown estimated that he found about 100 jackrabbits in a 15-acre field near Aberdeen. "I was amazed."

From the fall of 2004 until the spring of 2006, South Dakota State graduate student Dustin Schaible of Bismarck, N.D., studied jackrabbits in South Dakota. He is currently writing his thesis on that research, planning to get his master's degree in biology in December.

Most of his study focused on the more common white-tailed jackrabbits. Schaible studied their density and distribution, range and habitat, and reproduction and diseases that affect them. He also studied the density and distribution of the more rare black-tailed jackrabbits. Schaible found only a handful of black-tailed jackrabbits, mostly in places like Gregory and Tripp counties. . . .

Schaible hopes to become a teacher or wildlife researcher. "I had a blast doing the research," he said. "Jackrabbits are a good animal. My grandfather always said they are one of the most peaceful animals in nature, and that is really true."

Other current members of GFP staff have heard of increased reports of jackrabbit sightings as well in the last couple of years. In some areas of the state, one possible reason for more jackrabbits is that one of their major foes, coyotes, have taken a major hit to their own population because of the skin disease mange.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Working...
X