High School Football - Sturgis Wins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High School Football - Sturgis Wins!

I've just returned home from the Sturgis vs. Rapid City Stevens football game.  After 79 consecutive losses and graduating five consecutive senior classes who never saw their high school football team win a game, Sturgis posted a 22-20 victory.  I'm pretty sure I made it to more of those 79 losses than I missed.  It was great seeing the excitement of the student body when the game was over.  The celebration lasted a very long time.

It was a great crowd.  We have been having great crowds for a long time.  It takes a lot of patience, a lot of courage, and a lot of school pride for the players to continue to work as hard as they have throughout this streak.  It takes a lot of school pride and a lot of admiration for the players for the student body to turn out in big numbers when the team hasn't been winning.

I've been thinking about how much things might change for these boys when the streak finally ended.  I'm sure they will walk a bit more proudly in school next week, probably with a little more swagger in their step.  But what about the big picture?  I can only keep in mind that these boys have been working hard each and every practice knowing that their efforts were not efforts in futility.  They have proudly put on their uniforms for each and every game. They have run enthusiastically onto the field to compete every week.  They have played with courage when the press made fun of them.  They have held their heads high when opposing teams belittled them.  They have earned the respect of the fans that filled our stadium to overflowing many times.  In the big picture I don't think that much has changed at all.  These young men have been winners for a very long time.

Re: High School Football - Sturgis Wins!

Congrads to Sturgis. I dont think we can begin to understand how it feels to lose all those games. Sturgis is I believe coached by Adolf Sheperdson, who was playing WR for the Jacks not that long ago. Congrads also to the coach a SDSU alum. He no doubt has made an impact on the young men and I wish them the best for the rest of the seaoson. Its no fun being on the losing end.

Comment

What a great day for Sturgis! Now they need to get the next one.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
        Congrads to Sturgis. I dont think we can begin to understand how it feels to lose all those games. Sturgis is I believe coached by Adolf Sheperdson, who was playing WR for the Jacks not that long ago. Congrads also to the coach a SDSU alum. He no doubt has made an impact on the young men and I wish them the best for the rest of the seaoson.  Its no fun being on the losing end.
        I believe the several of the coaches are SDSU grads. Cody King and Shepardson are for sure. I think a couple of others may be also. I watched them play Yankton last week and even though Yankton is down this year and they handled Sturgis 30-0 I knew Sturgis had a team that could win at least 1 game and maybe more. Good deal for the Sturgis kids and the community. 2 win in a row? They haven't had that goal for a while.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Congrats Sturgis!!! Must feel pretty good to get that monkey of their back. Good luck getting two in a row.

Comment

Congads Sturgis

And Brandon beat Yankton

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

I believe the several of the coaches are SDSU grads.  Cody King and Shepardson are for sure.  I think a couple of others may be also.  I watched them play Yankton last week and even though Yankton is down this year and they handled Sturgis 30-0 I knew Sturgis had a team that could win at least 1 game and maybe more.  Good deal for the Sturgis kids and the community.  2 win in a row?  They haven't had that goal for a while.

I made the trip to Yankton for that game too.  Too bad I didn't plan ahead and we could have had a cold root beer (after all, this is high school football we're writing about) before the game.  I actually thought that Sturgis played better against Yankton than against RC Stevens.  Hopefully  both teams will win some more games and also develop some future Jackrabbit football players.

Comment

Working...
              X