South Dakota media outlets are embarassing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Dakota media outlets are embarassing

Last nights newscasts had the Lawdogs (whatever they are) as the lead story. Very little about the NCC or GWFC. Nothing about NDSU over Ball St. and very little about major DI football or the Ryder Cup.

The Argus has this lame feature about a once proud Beresford program that now struggles to stay in games and a feature on Ben Leber. Brief summaries of the NCC games, an AP story for the second week in a row on the Jacks, and nothing on NDSU over Ball St. No NCC capsule or GWFC capsule.

Am I the only one who thinks this is unacceptable, embarassing and nothing short of a travesty? The Argus is a joke, the evening newscasts are more like a comedy of errors where weather is the number one issue and doppler is shown every 5 minutes. I say we all shift our attention to the net. Drop our subscriptions to the Argus and watch only cable TV networks.

Embarassing and I'm pissed off.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: South Dakota media outlets are embarassing

Yes MD, I think it was embarrassing. Look what the paper Thibadueau Lousiana printed on the Jack Games. It was a pretty decent story about the game. I dont know what this town has for population but is no doubt equal or maybe less than Brookings.

Part of the problem is that TheBrookings Register does not have a Sunday edition of which the SDSU game would be huge news, which in turn would impact the Argus. The Register stories are usually pretty good despite a revolving door in the sports department writers job, but when they come out at noon or later on Monday, they are old news.

Comment

I caught KSFY news after the ND v Mich State debacle (MSU made our collapse at UNI look like no big deal). This is the order they covered the sports

Twins
      HS Cross Country
      Northern vs SWMSU with film
      Northwestern (I.A.) v Nebraska Weslyn with film
      GPAC scores
      NCC scores
      STATE score
      Major College fb.

"The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
        Yes MD, I think it was embarrassing. Look what the paper Thibadueau Lousiana printed on the Jack Games. It was a pretty decent story about the game. I dont know what this town has for population but is no doubt equal or maybe less than Brookings.
        I agree. It's pretty bad when you have to go to oppositions media outlets to get decent coverage on the game. Having a little media support would go a long way to help SDSU with the transition to Divsion I. That's probably just wishful thinking though.
        “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Sioux Falls media is a joke. On the news casts, they spend atleast half the time on the weather. Jerry Seinfeld said it best, 'if it's the 7 day forecast, only give the weather forecast every 7 days.'

Sioux City stations usually do a better job of covering USD than the Sioux Falls stations do. If USD does go D1, they really need to try and tap into that market. It's too bad Brookings doesn't have a different news station around them.

Comment

Originally posted by StormnNorman
            Sioux Falls media is a joke.  On the news casts, they spend atleast half the time on the weather.  Jerry Seinfeld said it best, 'if it's the 7 day forecast, only give the weather forecast every 7 days.'

Sioux City stations usually do a better job of covering USD than the Sioux Falls stations do.  If USD does go D1, they really need to try and tap into that market.  It's too bad Brookings doesn't have a different news station around them.  
            Its a problem with the media source not the schools. Public dissatisfaction is the only thing that will change their philosophy. Oh year, they have to recognize that dissatisfaction. KELO use to have a clue but I'm convinced they have lost all touch with their most recent broadcasts. Weather, some irrelevant feature, weather, national news, weather, the Lawdogs with highlights, weather. What the hell is that?
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
              [quote author=StormnNorman link=1159112567/0#4 date=1159550308]Sioux Falls media is a joke.  On the news casts, they spend atleast half the time on the weather.  Jerry Seinfeld said it best, 'if it's the 7 day forecast, only give the weather forecast every 7 days.'

Sioux City stations usually do a better job of covering USD than the Sioux Falls stations do.  If USD does go D1, they really need to try and tap into that market.  It's too bad Brookings doesn't have a different news station around them.  
              Its a problem with the media source not the schools.  Public dissatisfaction is the only thing that will change their philosophy.  Oh year, they have to recognize that dissatisfaction.  KELO use to have a clue but I'm convinced they have lost all touch with their most recent broadcasts.  Weather, some irrelevant feature, weather, national news, weather, the Lawdogs with highlights, weather.  What the hell is that?[/quote]

I really couldn't believe it last week when they showed the Lawdogs highlights. Seriously, the LAWDOGS! Who gives a rip. I wonder how many people actually go to those games and how many fans the have? Can't be very many. Living out here in the Black Hills, KELO is really my only chance to get sports coverage of SDSU. If KELO thinks showing Lawdog highlights will improve ratings over SDSU or USD highlights, they are sorely mistaken.

Comment

Lawdogs are a joke, I'm sure you saw my comment on the other thread.

Someday SD will realize that DI sports are here and will demand coverage. But unless they experience a Jacks DI-AA game first hand they will never truly know what they are missing.

Until then, we will continue to find most of our information here.

Comment

This question is 100% serious and probably only adds to the point of this thread, but what/who are the Lawdogs (besides my fantasy football team name from 3 years ago)?
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                    This question is 100% serious and probably only adds to the point of this thread, but what/who are the Lawdogs (besides my fantasy football team name from 3 years ago)?
                    http://www.lawdawgs.net/

It is a minor league football team that plays there games on high school fields.  Not sure they could beat any of the college football teams in SD.  

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks_Backer
                      [quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1159112567/0#8 date=1160022032]This question is 100% serious and probably only adds to the point of this thread, but what/who are the Lawdogs (besides my fantasy football team name from 3 years ago)?
                      http://www.lawdawgs.net/

It is a minor league football team that plays there games on high school fields.  Not sure they could beat any of the college football teams in SD.  [/quote]

I have known a few lawdogs players, and while I admire the determination and their love of the game...I certainly agree with you.

State and the U would certainly beat them badly. Not sure on what the NAIA schools would do.

It's ridiculous that they get more press than the state's DI athletic program.

Comment

I'm sorry but there is no way that the LawDogs are getting more press coverage than the Jacks. They got one story on a TV station when they finished there season with only one loss. They are a local team, and they have done many community activities. You would think with the tone of the comments on this board that they lead the coverage every night. I said on the other thread to have some pride. I meant that as a Jacks fan you should have enough pride in the Jacks that you don't have to have them be the only story. The whining about this has been nothing short of pathetic.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

BTW, I have no affiliation with the LawDogs in any way and have never gone to one of their games.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I will agree with you a bit 1st row. But here is my problem. People around the state view the argus as the state's newspaper. Apparently the argus looks at itself as Sioux Falls paper. It's that small time view of itself (same thing of the television stations) that is bothersome to most.

I don't have a problem with the coverage of the Stampede and the Storm because they draw 5000 a night. Apparently people are pretty interested in the two. Considering the interest in the LawDogs, Skyforce and Canaries I can only assume the media attention is brought by advertising $?

"The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

My criticism is based primarily on the ineffable lameness of the (redesigned) Argus web site, which is my primary media outlet for all things South Dakotaish.

How can you possibly explain the abject failure to run a single story on the results of the McNeese game until the Tuesday Whitney column (not even a story--a columnist's weekly column)?

They can run a thousand articles on the Lawdogs, I really don't care. But at this point, Argus web coverage of SDSU that would just be equal to that of USD of Augie would be an improvement.

Considering that the Argus once bent over backwards to promise that SDSU would be covered like a Division I program, color me disappointed.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X