State Finals this weekend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Finals this weekend!

I, like many South Dakotans on this board, will be following the State Football Championships this weekend at the Dome. I have personal interest, since I'm calling the game on the radio for my old high school, Dell Rapids, who is playing for the 11-A title (first time to the Dome, baby!)

So, the question is, who will win the championships?

9-B
    Iroquois vs. Colome

9-A
    Scotland vs. Gettysburg

9-AA
    Parker vs. Elkton

11-B
    Aberdeen Roncalli vs. St. Thomas More

11-A
    Dell Rapids vs. Canton

11-AA
    Sioux Falls O'Gorman vs. Sioux Falls Roosevelt

Here's my picks...

9-B: Anyone who can beat Sanborn Central is pretty darn special. But I think the sentimental favorite is Colome, who didn't almost HAVE a team this year... IROQUOIS will win 35-14.

9-A: Gettysburg has been in four state title games... in a case of "always the bridesmaid, never the bride". SCOTLANDcomes in on a hot streak and wins 24-21.

9-AA: Parker is tough, but Elkton comes out of the DVC, so they are battle-hardened. ELKTON wins 32-18.

11-B: Roncalli has yet to be scored upon. St. Thomas More is looking for payback from last year. ABERDEEN RONCALLI will win in the Battle of the Cavaliers II, 40-0

11-A: Dell Rapids won earlier against Canton 21-0, Canton has been on a roll, especially with a near shutout of Winner. But the DELL RAPIDS defense is only giving up 7 points per game and will win 24-14.

11-AA: Make it a 3-peat for O'GORMAN; 35-7.

What do you think?
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: State Finals this weekend!

This is also how I do my weekly picks too...

9-B
    Iroquois vs. Colome

Don't know....I'll go with Iroquois by 9 b/c I like the name "Iroquois."

9-A
    Scotland vs. Gettysburg

Gettyburg by 13 b/c they beat Kimball and my buddy is an assistant coach for Kimball.

9-AA
    Parker vs. Elkton

Parker b/c their wrestling team is tough and a lot of those kids play FB. And, I've never really liked Elkton or anything about Elkton. Has anything good ever come out of Elkton??

11-B
    Aberdeen Roncalli vs. St. Thomas More

Oh boy, I really can't stand ANY Catholic schools. But St. Tommy More takes the cake for my dislike. Roncalli pitches a season long shutout. Final 36-0.

11-A
    Dell Rapids vs. Canton

Don't like Dell Rapids cause that's where Mike H. lives...j/k. Matt Wilbur is from Dells so that makes up for it. He's the only guy I know that red-shirted in High School. Dells by 14.

11-AA
    Sioux Falls O'Gorman vs. Sioux Falls Roosevelt

O.G. will probably win even though I don't want them to. O.G. by 3.

Comment

Hey, I was raised in Dells... so me and Wilber trumps Mike H anyday!
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Must admit I haven't followed HS football since Hamlin went in the tank about 10 years ago. Previous to that I was at the dome every November. I have lived in Vermillion or Yankton a total of 5 years since 1996 and I haven't been to the dome for HS football once. Don't know if I'll make it over this week/weekend or not.

I can't comment on who might win for the reasons stated above. Good luck to all involved and enjoy the experience. You can never go back to high school or high school sports so give it your all on the field this weekend.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

If you come up Friday, come look me up! I'll be at the KJAM booth!
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I have a theory that Matt redshirting upon moving to Dells jumpstarted the town's athletic success. Not because of anything he did personally, but more of a general, "hey let's focus on athletics here. Look, this kid from Miller is REDSHIRTING in high school! He must really take athletics seriously. Let's all take it seriously!!" The basketball squads were the first to see the affect with Kudera and the boys making it to state, but now the feeling has spilled over to the football squad. I don't know, just a theory. I could be wrong.

*since you can't see my smile as I'm writing this, I'll let you know this was written in gest. Although some of Matt's best stories are when he worked at the gas station that "redshirt" year in high school.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I haven't listened to the high school championships in a while, but whoever is doing the announcing now does a really good job. I have the Scotland/Gettysburg game on in the background here at work and am impressed. I used to have a hard time listening to the games when I was in college.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

by listening, I mean I have the video feed up from SD public TV.

Comment

Looks like Scotland wins the 9B Championship with a 20-16 victory over Gettysburg.

Comment

Parker leads Elkton 12-8 after 3 qtrs. They appear to be able to run the ball while Elkton has had trouble moving the ball.

Comment

Final score 26-8 in favor of Parker.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                        I haven't listened to the high school championships in a while, but whoever is doing the announcing now does a really good job.  I have the Scotland/Gettysburg game on in the background here at work and am impressed.  I used to have a hard time listening to the games when I was in college.
                        It's Craig and Mike_H. I also think they do a very good job calling the FB games.

Comment

The definately know their stuff, that's for sure.

My goal is to be better than them tomorrow night... tall order, but I think its possible.
                          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Iroquois runs all over Colome. Schonefelder(sp) is a stud.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                              [quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1162861333/0#6 date=1163099592]I haven't listened to the high school championships in a while, but whoever is doing the announcing now does a really good job.  I have the Scotland/Gettysburg game on in the background here at work and am impressed.  I used to have a hard time listening to the games when I was in college.
                              It's Craig and Mike_H.  I also think they do a very good job calling the FB games.[/quote]

The way the games were originally called back when I was in college/high school, it sounded like the announcers were just a couple of guys watching TV and happened to have a mike in front of them. Those were the guys from Kelo land sports if I remember correctly. They would try to sprinkle in a phrase they recently heard on sportscenter and spent most of the game just saying things like "Ohhhhhhhhhhh" or "woooooooow" or something like that.

Yesterday's games actually sounded like the announcers were...announcing? I've never listened to Craig and Mike (a little out of their broadcasting range) but was impressed.

Comment

Working...
                              X