Rape Trial (Gilbert found Not Guilty)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rape Trial (Gilbert found Not Guilty)

Andre Gilbert's rape trial starts tomorrow.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...EWS03/61211022

(filbert: changed thread title)

Re: Rape Trial

Here is an update posted at the Argus Web at 4:27 PM.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...EWS03/61212027

No matter the outcome, its not a good day for the SDSU.

Comment

I moved this here because it's really not specifically basketball-related any more.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Here is today's Argus, not basketball related, but the case is starting to unfold:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...0309/1001/NEWS

Comment

SDSU doesn't need rapists on it's campus, just like it doesn't need people with these "beliefs,"

"I have my beliefs," she testified, "And I just believe same races go together."

She made this comment in reference to why she wouldn't sleep with Gilbert.

Comment

I'm sure the prosecuter cringed when that came out. Nothing like giving a jury a negative opinion of the accuser.

"The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/61213030

The prosecution has rested. I guess we'll read more tomorrow.......

The article in the Argus today, IMHO, skirted the limits of reporting about a rape case. By reporting the association of the victim to SDSU and her relative height, it's very easy to make conjecture re: the ID of the victim. This is bad enough in a normal case, but this is a a high-profile situation (by SD standards) and the anti-interracial comment could be construed as racism.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/61213030

The article in the Argus today, IMHO, skirted the limits of reporting about a rape case. By reporting the association of the victim to SDSU and her relative height, it's very easy to make conjecture re: the ID of the victim. This is bad enough in a normal case, but this is a a high-profile situation (by SD standards) and the anti-interracial comment could be construed as racism.

When the accused has alleged the sex was consensual, then is that not racial too? If indeed it did happen consensually,it would involve two members of different races. The states attorney is trying to build a case that there was no consenual sex and that a rape occurred, and if she is saying that she does not sleep with other members of other racess, is that not the point he is trying to make?

I think the defense has to prove it was consensual, and with lying testimony to investigators, its going to be hard to do.  Also the comment about the victim being unattractive, does not help the accused.

Comment

I am not sure that I would want to be on this jury. The lies/half-truths have been flying since this thing started (from both sides). It could come down to who is more believable.
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

All: I suggest to you that analysis and commentary of an ongoing trial based on the limited reporting of news outlets is neither a prudent or an appropriate activity on an Internet discussion board. We are not in possession of all of the evidence and testimony being presented. We will not decide the case on this board. We're frankly in no position to make any kind of judgments regarding the trial. This isn't an episode of "Law & Order," it's the real thing, with real people.

Please extend the courtesy of sensitivity to those involved, and their families, friends, and associates.

I'm with EQguy . . . I don't think I'd want to be on the jury, either. Godspeed to them.

The only certainty right now is that three young people's lives have been forever changed, and not for the better. And that's the tragedy here, regardless of how the jury decides.

One last thought: the legal standard, I believe, is "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law."
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                      All:  I suggest to you that analysis and commentary of an ongoing trial based on the limited reporting of news outlets is neither a prudent or an appropriate activity on an Internet discussion board.  We are not in possession of all of the evidence and testimony being presented.  We will not decide the case on this board.  We're frankly in no position to make any kind of judgments regarding the trial.  This isn't an episode of "Law & Order," it's the real thing, with real people.  

Please extend the courtesy of sensitivity to those involved, and their families, friends, and associates.

I'm with EQguy . . . I don't think I'd want to be on the jury, either.  Godspeed to them.

The only certainty right now is that three young people's lives have been forever changed, and not for the better.  And that's the tragedy here, regardless of how the jury decides.

One last thought:  the legal standard, I believe, is "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law."
                      Well Filbert, you tipped the soapbox over with that last line. Good try though.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                        [quote author=filbert link=1165890748/0#9 date=1166058144]All: I suggest to you that analysis and commentary of an ongoing trial based on the limited reporting of news outlets is neither a prudent or an appropriate activity on an Internet discussion board. We are not in possession of all of the evidence and testimony being presented. We will not decide the case on this board. We're frankly in no position to make any kind of judgments regarding the trial. This isn't an episode of "Law & Order," it's the real thing, with real people.

I'm with EQguy . . . I don't think I'd want to be on the jury, either. Godspeed to them.

The only certainty right now is that three young people's lives have been forever changed, and not for the better. And that's the tragedy here, regardless of how the jury decides.

One last thought: the legal standard, I believe, is "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law."
                        Well Filbert, you tipped the soapbox over with that last line. Good try though.
                        [/quote]

*shrug*

I'm working on my balance but I'll admit that I have a ways to go.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

*shrug*

I'm working on my balance but I'll admit that I have a ways to go.
                          Your balance is a heck of a lot better than mine. I'm not even going to attempt to comment directly on this topic.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                            [quote author=NightHawk78 link=1165890748/0#6 date=1166053145]http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/61213030

When the accused has alleged the sex was consensual, then is that not racial too? If indeed it did happen consensually,it would involve two members of different races. The states attorney is trying to build a case that there was no consenual sex and that a rape occurred, and if she is saying that she does not sleep with other members of other racess, is that not the point he is trying to make?

I think the defense has to prove it was consensual, and with lying testimony to investigators, its going to be hard to do.  Also the comment about the victim being unattractive, does not help the accused.[/quote]

Not to knit-pick (sp), but the burden of proof lies soley with the prosecution.

Comment

The only certainty right now is that three young people's lives have been forever changed, and not for the better.  And that's the tragedy here, regardless of how the jury decides.
                              You're absolutely right.

Comment

Working...
                              X