• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homestake Lab

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...793416,00.html

Hope for lab in Henderson Mine grows more iffy

By Jim Erickson, Rocky Mountain News
    June 22, 2006
    A last-minute rule change has tossed a monkey wrench into Colorado's efforts to bring a $300 million, federally funded underground lab to Henderson Mine, near Empire.
    The Henderson team has been competing head-to-head against South Dakota's Homestake Mine to land the Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory, known as DUSEL.

Both groups have worked feverishly for months, crafting DUSEL conceptual designs that must be submitted to the National Science Foundation by Friday. The agency was expected to select one of the two proposals this fall.  .  .  .  

Go South Dakota!  

Re: Homestake Lab

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?B...=461&rfi=9

Wow! Banker gives $70 million for lab, education center

By Donna Smith,
    Black Hills Pioneer
    June 26, 2006

LEAD - The lab at Homestake has a new name today. It will be called the Sanford Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory at Homestake. With the announcement of a $70 million gift from Sioux Falls businessman and philanthropist T. Denny Sanford, Gov. Mike Rounds capped off the special celebration in Lead with the breathtaking news. The lab is reality. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Sioux Falls businessman and philanthropist T. Denny Sanford
      This guy has been throwing his money around a lot lately. It's too bad we couldn't tap into that for SDSU!

Comment

Argus version

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/60626015

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JackTwice
          Sioux Falls businessman and philanthropist T. Denny Sanford
          This guy has been throwing his money around a lot lately. It's too bad we couldn't tap into that for SDSU!
          Well, Mr. Sanford wanted to give the Univ. of MN (his alma mater) money for their football stadium, but the two parties were unable to make a suitable arrangement. Goldie Golpher then sold his soul to TCF Bank and Sanford has been giving a bunch of moola to the Mayo Clinic and SD projects. I don't expect him to deal with higher ed directly after the mess with the U of M (his USD med school donation is actually a complex deal with Sioux Valley Hospital, I believe) and his projects seem to be those with a regional focus and benefit.

Comment

U of M's loss is South Dakota's gain!

So what if he wants his name on everything? I'm thinking of selling him naming rights to any of my future progeny for a nice chunk of coinage! LOL
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...804375,00.html

Philanthropist deals blow to Colorado

By Jim Erickson,
              Rocky Mountain News
              June 27, 2006

Colorado's efforts to land a $300 million federal laboratory were dealt a blow Monday when a South Dakota philanthropist announced he has donated $70 million to that state's campaign to win the lab.
              "They outbid us, and I'm not sure what we can do at this point," said physicist Chang Jung, lead scientist on the team trying to bring the Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory to Colorado's Henderson Mine, near Empire.

"I wouldn't say it's the end of the story, but it certainly puts a lot of pressure on us," said Jung, who works at the State University of New York at Stony Brook.

Colorado's Henderson Mine is competing against South Dakota's Homestake Mine for the underground physics, geosciences and microbiology laboratory known as DUSEL.

On Monday, Sioux Falls philanthropist T. Denny Sanford said he has donated $70 million to prepare Homestake Mine for the laboratory. National Science Foundation spokesman M. Mitchell Waldrop said the agency has no immediate comment on the gift.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

So what if he wants his name on everything? I'm thinking of selling him naming rights to any of my future progeny for a nice chunk of coinage! LOL
                I am looking forward to the birth of little T. Denny child of Jackrabbit1!

Comment

It is almost like a soap opera for the very smart.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._uwlab14m.html

UW pulls out of race to build underground lab

By Nick Perry

Seattle Times staff reporter

The world's deepest underground laboratory will not be built in the Cascades after all.

The University of Washington has pulled out of a race to build the facility after the National Science Foundation withdrew an offer for a $500,000 design grant. The NSF reversal came just 10 days after the agency awarded the grant.

The problem was that the UW wanted to switch sites from Cashmere Mountain near Leavenworth to Pioneer Tunnel near Stevens Pass.

"The secondary option that they suggested was substantially different from what had been reviewed," said Judy Sunley, an acting assistant director at NSF. "It's conceivable it would have some interesting things to offer," but the foundation simply didn't know enough about the site, she said.

The NSF is considering building a lab about a mile and a half underground so that researchers can study certain particles without interference from cosmic rays. Essentially, the rock above the lab would serve as a 7,000-foot-thick shield.

Just last month, the UW was celebrating after the NSF reinstated it into the race with two other states to build a lab. The foundation last year rejected the UW's application, but the university successfully appealed.

But Wick Haxton, a UW physics professor who helped craft the proposal, said the latest twist signaled it was time to withdraw for good.

"Any further appeal would run the risk of delaying the entire project, which would not benefit the larger scientific community," he said. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

One down, one to go. This would be so good for the SD.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...263851,00.html

Underground lab race nears end
                      Henderson Mine team polishes bid for $300 million project

By Jim Erickson, Rocky Mountain News
                      January 8, 2007

Colorado researchers are putting the finishing touches on a detailed proposal to build a $300 million federally funded underground laboratory inside Henderson Mine near Empire.
                      The 250-page proposal is due Tuesday at the National Science Foundation in Washington, D.C.

This spring, the federal agency is expected to award up to $15 million to the team that wins the competition for the Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory, known as DUSEL. The lab would host groundbreaking physics, geology and microbiology experiments.

"The content is all there, and we are just doing some polishing," Colorado State University physicist Robert Wilson said of the proposal.

"I'm feeling quite good about what we've been able to do. The completeness of what we've prepared, as well as its scope, are very impressive."

In 2005, Henderson Mine and South Dakota's Homestake Mine beat out six other teams vying for the DUSEL project. The two finalists were awarded $500,000 apiece from the NSF to prepare a conceptual design for the facility. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                      X