X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents not happy about playing time

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/50411008

Unhappy parents take coach to court
    BROOKINGS – The parents of some Deubrook High School boys basketball players have taken a long-running dispute with the team’s coach to court.
    The matter, heard Wednesday in Brookings by Circuit Judge David Gienapp, is an administrative appeal of the Deubrook School Board’s decision to rehire Darwin Hofer as coach.
    Some of the parents have disagreed with Hofer about playing time and the rotation of players.
    The judge is expected to decide the matter by Jan. 10.
    One of the parents bringing the case, Tim Trooien of White, said the group’s main concern is Hofer’s coaching and the rotation of players. They say neither the coach nor the school board have adequately addressed their concerns.
    The superintendent, Kevin Keenaghan, told the judge the team is winning, that no players are being mistreated and that seniors are not guaranteed playing time. He also said he’d rather the parents focus on academics with sports as part of a well-rounded education.
    Meetings the disgruntled parents had with Hofer amounted to “tag-team harassment,” the superintendent said.
    “Why should a person have to stand people questioning everything you do?” Keenaghan said.
    “We value our educational programs here and take them seriously,” Trooien said. “The staff and administration are employees of the school district, which is property of taxpayers and parents who expect accountability. Unfortunately, some people seem to have forgotten that.”

Re: Parents not happy about playing time

I read this the other day and nearly puked. It certainly validated my reasons for not becoming a teacher.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

I think these parents should be proud of themselves.....Not. If your team is winning close games shut up about playing time be a team player and expect to see little time... Practice tells the coach what they need to know about the player's strengths, weaknesses, and why or why not he doesnt deserve to play a lot. Now if you are losing games handily or blowing out teams then it is another story.

Comment

I'm sure all coaches are going to want to coach there now. What bad publicity for the town and the school. The parents should be ashamed of themselves.

Comment

Are these parents any different from the barbershop crowd in Hoosiers?

Its kind of sad. Tag team hararrsement? That takes a lot of practice and its small town life at its worst.

Duebrook from time to time has had some good athletes, it would be something if they did reach and win the state tournament. Hoosiers is more than a figment of our imagination and more than a movie. It could happen in South Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks_NL
            http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/SPORTS/50411008

Unhappy parents take coach to court
            BROOKINGS – The parents of some Deubrook High School boys basketball players have taken a long-running dispute with the team’s coach to court.
            The matter, heard Wednesday in Brookings by Circuit Judge David Gienapp, is an administrative appeal of the Deubrook School Board’s decision to rehire Darwin Hofer as coach.
            Some of the parents have disagreed with Hofer about playing time and the rotation of players.
            The judge is expected to decide the matter by Jan. 10.
            One of the parents bringing the case, Tim Trooien of White, said the group’s main concern is Hofer’s coaching and the rotation of players. They say neither the coach nor the school board have adequately addressed their concerns.
            The superintendent, Kevin Keenaghan, told the judge the team is winning, that no players are being mistreated and that seniors are not guaranteed playing time. He also said he’d rather the parents focus on academics with sports as part of a well-rounded education.
            Meetings the disgruntled parents had with Hofer amounted to “tag-team harassment,” the superintendent said.
            “Why should a person have to stand people questioning everything you do?” Keenaghan said.
            “We value our educational programs here and take them seriously,” Trooien said. “The staff and administration are employees of the school district, which is property of taxpayers and parents who expect accountability. Unfortunately, some people seem to have forgotten that.”

http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Tea...32/Page-Roster

HEAD COACH LEAGUE RECORD OVERALL RECORD
            Darwin Hofer 0 - 1 - 0 2 - 1 - 0

Plaques Height Weight Year Position
            10 Taylor Rymerson Build 6-0 Junior G
            12 Spencer Murphy Build 5-10 Sophomore G
            14 Steven Pavek Build 5-10 Senior G
            20 Garrett Larson Build 6-2 Sophomore G
            22 Tyler Knutson Build 6-2 Senior G, F
            24 Derek Murphy Build 6-2 Junior F
            30 Nathan Iverson Build 6-3 Junior C
            32 Darin Rogness Build 6-2 Senior G, F
            34 Kale Skogen Build 6-2 Senior F
            40 Brandon Engelstad Build 6-2 Senior F, C
            42 Dustin Heimback Build 5-11 Sophomore F
            44 Matt Trooien Build 6-2 Sophomore F
            50 Lucas Quail Build 6-2 Sophomore F

I thought the complaint might have been coming from parents of seniors not getting enough playing time but the man named above has a soph on the team. This is a bad situation for the school and the team, which by the way won the first two games but lost the last one. Do you suppose all the hostility and bickering has affected their ability to play as a team? Parents need to sit in the stands and yell for their team no matter who is on the floor. The parent employers had better watch out they don't get sued for harrassing their emplyee.

Duebrook? How about Suebrook?

Comment

theres open enrollment these days. send the kids somewhere else if they arent happy with the situation.

Comment

Teachers and coaches understand that they will have to put up with a certain amount of displeasure from their pupil's parents. When it comes to a lawsuit something has gone terribly wrong. The lines of communication had to have been broken some time ago. Its embarassing for those who have been named in the article and takes away from the experience that athletics in high school is suppose to provide. Its tough to understand how this issue could not be resolved without a lawsuit.

I'm certain there is more to the story than what all of us have seen in the papers today and I am sure we will hear people talking about it at the game tomorrow in Brookings. The big story down here is the issue with the wrestler in Parker and charges pending against him. Now moved to juvenile court. 11 students from Parker elected to move to the Marion school district clearing out their lockers over the Christmas break. Parker only has 2 wrestlers on a team that could have contended for a state title. Certainly wonder what is going to come out of each of these situations.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

If I was the coach I would tell the parents to back off and if they didn't then they could explain to their own kids why they aren't on the team.

You hear to much of this crap going on at every level!

A coach has to do a couple of things in my opinion.

1. Follow the code of conduct for the institution he/she represents.
                  2. Make sure the student athletes are keeping up in school.
                  3. Prepare the team for the game.
                  4. Put his best team on the floor!

In this case you have parents of a couple of seniors that aren't that good complaining about lack of "their" playing time going to a couple of underclassmen. Suing over the "roatation of players"? You have got to be freakin' kidding me! I'm sorry that your child is an upperclassmen and doesn't warrant more playing time but the point of the contest is to put the best team on the floor to give your team the best chance to win! The rotation of players in any sport is up to the coach and the coach alone!

How unfair is this to the underclassmen? Will their parents file countersuit because they are better? Will another decent coach leave the profession because of an incident with a few out-of-control jackass parents?

I was glad to see the superintendent stick up for his coach, that has to give the coach some solace in this deal.

Allright, I feel better now! Sorry for the rant!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

You may find the following procedural information interesting.

This case was not a lawsuit. It is an appeal of an administrative decision. The parents had a complaint which they took to the superintendent. Apparently not satisfied at that point, the parents went to the elected school board. It sounds like the school board following the administrative procedures act, held a hearing and made its final ruling which was adverse to the parents. State law provides that an administrative decision like that is reviewable by the circuit court. A final decision by the Circuit Court is appealable to the SD Supreme Court. The Circuit Court may also remand the case for further proceedings by the school board and if that occurs, it goes back to the school board.

This is important: The circuit court is required to give great weight to the findings of the school board and the inferences drawn by the school board. You might say that the elected school board get a "head start" in front of the circuit court. The circuit court will reverse the school board or modify the board's decision only if the circuit court is convinced substantial rights of the appellants have been prejudiced by the board because the board's findings, inferences, conclusions or decision is a) in violation of constitutional or statutory provisions; b) in excess of the statutory authority of the board; c) made on unlawful procedure; d) affected by an error of law; e) clearly erroneous in light of all of the evidence in the record; or f) arbitrary or capricious or characterized by an abuse of discretion or a clearly unwarranted exercise of discretion.

Generally, the circuit court will not hear evidence or testimony. It reviews the record from the school board proceedings.

The legal system functions very well and deals with nutty people -- or nutty school boards -- according to rules and procedures that make a lot of sense. Great weight is given to the decisions of our elected boards while there is also room for correcting the really bad decisions. In a case like this, I hope the school board was careful about following its procedure rules so that its decision stands up. (Of course, I know nothing about the case other than what I've read in the newspapers...maybe the parents have a legitimate gripe...the Judge on the case is a good one.)

Based solely on the news reports, I'm like the other posters on this thread: what the heck are those parents thinking? Assume their kid is a real phenom...a lot of college coaches will avoid the kid because of the crazy parents.

In a way, I enjoy a news story like this one: the reporters put out the factual report and let the readers judge for themselves. My guess is that by Tuesday, now that the whole State has read about this matter, the parents ought to be plenty embarassed and, at the same time, the coach will probably hear a lots of words of support.

Comment

Followup comment: My wife is a high school teacher. You cannot believe how nutty some parents are. BUT, you have to remind yourself that those people really are few and far between.

I have the sense that the number of nuts probably hasn't increased in the 27+ years I've practiced law BUT the intensity of the crazy ones has increased. Some people have such a crazy notion about their "rights" and it shows a profound lack of understanding of the basic foundation of this country. The legal system faces a growing problem with pro se litigants gumming up the system with their crazy ideas in the form of ridiculous lawsuits. I could tell you some amazing stories.

Comment

Remember playing is the reason 2 people have left the men's team the last two year. Keller and Hornby not liking the system....If you don't like it don't let the door hit you on your ass.

Comment

Keep in mind before you rush to judgement, you got your info from the argus, there is more to this story. As well as there is nutty parents there are a few nutty coaches and teachers.

Small town sports politics are alive and well in most small towns around, but the question is what was so different here that the parents took it to this level?

Comment

I read it first in the Register earlier this week. But because the register's site charges you to read stories it has not been linked to there.

Comment

In my professional life I have learned that things are not always necessarily what they appear to be, and there is always more to the story. Maybe these parents are just plain crazy, but I'd bet there is more to it. I feel bad for the kids, I'm sure they didn't think their names and story would be in the press for all of us to criticize.

Comment

Working...
                              X