Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co-op between SDSU and USD

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...131/COLUMNISTS

More cooperation between SDSU, USD could energize S.D.
    Research gains among potential yields

By By Terry Woster
    Argus Leader
    PUBLISHED: December 31, 2006

The University of South Dakota's move to Division I status in athletics prompted my colleague Patrick Lalley to long for a renewal of the fierce rivalry between his school and South Dakota State University.

I'm an old State man. I've cheered the Jacks during many spirited contests with the Coyotes. In the Division I thing, USD will struggle sometimes. State did, and does. It will also find areas in which it can compete immediately.

You know what I'd like to see in the future, though? Not the rivalry, although that's fun. It fills the bleachers, and it makes us all think we're still young.

What I'd like most to see is an aggressive push for maximum cooperation between the two campuses. Keep the teams and school colors and mascots and such, but work together to build opportunities for young South Dakota men and women. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Co-op between SDSU and USD

I found it interesting the take on the future by an SDSU grad as opposed to USD grad. (Woster vs Lalley)

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I tend to agree with Mr. Woster when you take athletics out of the mix. It is important that both schools do well and create opportunities for the students.

When it comes to athletics though, let the 'Yotes fend for themselves!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

When it comes to athletics though, let the 'Yotes fend for themselves!
        That's apparently the attitude Fred Oien has adopted. USD AD Joel Nielsen recently spent two days as a guest of NDSU AD Gene Taylor in Fargo. Nielsen was there to learn about the transisition process, budgets, travel, etc. NDSU feels a relationship with USD is important.

Contrasting, Fred Oien has directed his  coaching staff that under no terms are they to provide any advice or assistance to any USD coaches as USD approaches the transisition phase to DI.

Comment

[quote=SPORTSFAN]
          Contrasting, Fred Oien has directed his  coaching staff that under no terms are they to provide any advice or assistance to any USD coaches as USD approaches the transisition phase to DI.
          Is that a direct quote from Fred to you? I'll have to ask him if he said that.

Can anyone from NDSU confirm that Nielsen made an official visit?
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

If it did happen it was pretty hush hush as nothing has been reported in the local media about this and this would certainly covered by the local media. It will be interesting to see if that has happened but I would tend to think it may be more of a wishful fans thinking. The treatment you guys got from USD and what we got from UND would certainly be enough in my book to say let them fend for themselves.

Comment

Highly doubt this happened. Taylor has been concentrating on the BBall seasons, football schedule, Gateway Football Conference, new BBall arena, etc... I don't think he has time for a two day training seminar for a future rival, especially a hated uxd.

Comment

Highly doubtful. NDSU and SDSU are friends and partners in the move to division I. UND treated NDSU like $hit during the move and USD treated SDSU like $hit during the move. UND was behind the effort to get all NCC teams to treat both NDSU and SDSU like $hit. I doubt NDSU is providing any assistance to them. I think the you provide them the same help the gave you attitude should be prevailent at both NDSU and SDSU. In order to do that both NDSU and SDSU need to exercise their middle fingers on each hand.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                  [quote author=SPORTSFAN link=1167579712/0#3 date=1168184473]
                  Is that a direct quote from Fred to you?  I'll have to ask him if he said that.  

Can anyone from NDSU confirm that Nielsen made an official visit?
                  I have to agree with JackMD...this was likely not said by Fred to his coaching staff. Also, do you have any evidence of Neilson's visit to NDSU. Considering past events...this is very, very unlikely.

Comment

I don't doubt that some animosity exists between Dr. Oien and the current NCC AD's.  I am certain our coaches are in tune to that.  It doesn't take genius to realize that USD coaches were out there hammering SDSU for being a "traitor" to the DII recruits that would have to suffer through the transition without a chance at a conference title, playoffs, or a championship. They did all they could to undermine our efforts. Thats a fact. I doubt you'll find an official memo but we all know its true. I don't think it had much of an affect but I would certainly point out to future student athletes the waffling that has gone on at USD. With SDSU its what we can offer, with USD its what they can point out is wrong with SDSU and then an offering of USD as an alternative, not a better option but simply an alternate one.

Its the suggestions in SPORTFAN's unsubstantiated post that contributes to the ongoing distaste for USD and its fan.  How can you not recognize the disrespect USD has shown towards SDSU over the last decade, especially during our DI transition?  I know the answer but that doesn't help USD supporters one bit.

Until other USD supports and SPORTSFAN can swallow their pride, admit their mistakes, and accept our foresight, we don't owe them anything.  USD should have aspirations to become a peer institutions through and through with SDSU.  That won't be accomplished with the current attitude in Vermillion.  Suggestions such as those above will only deter things further.

Now, troll all you want and reply with facts you are witholding or let us know upfront where this information is coming from. USD has joined SDSU in the trek that is DI affiliation. Cooperation will be beneficial to both, in time, following the proper prinicples.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I think that SDSU gave D-I information to UND as a courtesy when it was investigating a D-I move. It wouldn't surprise me if USD's AD received information from NDSU or if Nielsen actually traveled to NDSU (and likely met with lower-level staffers for most of the time-his time with Taylor would surely be limited) to gather knowledge about the transition.

Taking this approach allows SDSU and NDSU to take the high road and show that they aren't being 100% adversarial/vindictive when it comes to the UxDs' transition to D-I.

As for scheduling, a SDSU-USD game might happen in basketball since there's more flexibility available there. As for football, it simply won't happen as long as SDSU and NDSU join the Gateway and I-AA/CS remain at an 11-game schedule. Eight conference games and a money game leave only two slots open, which are likely booked for quite sometime with teams that SDSU already has cotracts with. USD is going to have to settle with some away/away/[s]home[/s]buyout contracts with BS Conference teams if they choose not to add the UxDs. Plus, one needs to remember the animosity that Dr. Oien would have after the way that SDSU players, administrators, and fans have been treated by USD associates......

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                        I think that SDSU gave D-I information to UND as a courtesy when it was investigating a D-I move. It wouldn't surprise me if USD's AD received information from NDSU or if Nielsen actually traveled to NDSU (and likely met with lower-level staffers for most of the time-his time with Taylor would surely be limited) to gather knowledge about the transition.

Taking this approach allows SDSU and NDSU to take the high road and show that they aren't being 100% adversarial/vindictive when it comes to the UxDs' transition to D-I.

As for scheduling, a SDSU-USD game might happen in basketball since there's more flexibility available there. As for football, it simply won't happen as long as SDSU and NDSU join the Gateway and I-AA/CS remain at an 11-game schedule. Eight conference games and a money game leave only two slots open, which are likely booked for quite sometime with teams that SDSU already has cotracts with. USD is going to have to settle with some away/away/[s]home[/s]buyout contracts with BS Conference teams if they choose not to add the UxDs. Plus, one needs to remember the animosity that Dr. Oien would have after the way that SDSU players, administrators, and fans have been treated by USD associates......
                        Logical and sensible points. I don't think Dr. Oien gains anything by making an official statement suggesting direct antagonism of any action by USD. That would be my biggest concern about the information posted above. Things are in a bit of disrepair between the SU's and U's athletics dept right now. Compromises will/should be made with each program accepting its particular role. Right now its clear who is the leader and who is subordinate. At least its clear to some of us.

Comment

NDSU and UND don't partner up for any research that I know of.

One of the state senators started the Red River Valley Research Corridor which is essentially a technology/research park at both schools with each having a different focus (UND is more medical/biology and aeronautical NDSU is more engineering and computer technology).

Comment

Originally posted by 2006gwfcchamps
                            NDSU and UND don't partner up for any research that I know of.

One of the state senators started the Red River Valley Research Corridor which is essentially a technology/research park at both schools with each having a different focus (UND is more medical/biology and aeronautical NDSU is more engineering and computer technology).

I think SDSU, NDSU, UND and USD probably have had informal meetings, but more for information in terms of the individuality of each research park. I recall Allred Kurtenbach, one of the founding partners of Daktronics, was featured in a news article some time ago and he discussed how the he and the SDSU Foundation and other educational institutions hoped to develope the I-29 corridor into a research area similiar to the Silicone Valley. SDSU is just getting started on their research park on the north end of the campus and along I-29. USD is planning a research park in the near future in Sioux Falls, as best I recall. So I do think there is reason to hope for cooperation in research, but to extend it to helping someone make the transition period to D1 a success, thats beyond what Mr Woster was speaking of in his article.

Comment

Is that a direct quote from Fred to you?  I'll have to ask him if he said that.
                              I wish you would. It would be interesting to hear his response. If he denies it, go ask one of the coaches.

Comment

Working...
                              X