1 year contracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 year contracts

The State has to change the law for state employees and one year contracts. At least for employees who make salaries over $75,000. Not only do we risk the chance of losing coaching talent, but individuals with other kinds of talent as well. But I mostly care about the coaching thing.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Re: 1 year contracts

Never happen.

They keep it like that in case someone's brother's wife's niece can have a chance at a job they neither earned or deserved. Another great thing about SD.

Comment

They keep it like that in case someone's brother's wife's niece can have a chance at a job they neither earned or deserved. Another great thing about SD.
      Wait a minute here. You're telling me that a largely red state practices cronyism?

Comment

Originally posted by Bitsbacker
        Never happen.

......and so that someone's sister's husband's cousin isn't tied to a job for years with a stiff buyout penalty.

I'm guessing that some effort to change this policy will arise in the forseeable future, but that the impetus will NOT originate from SDSU. I wouldn't be surprised if a foundation were to start guaranteeing future salaries for certain coaches, causing the Regents to eventually take action like they did with university president salaries......

Comment

I tend to agree that coaches should be an exception to the one-year contract policy. With the amount of money (including a large chunk of student fee money) involved in athletics, it makes sense to have longer periods of stability in the contracts. Professors can get tenure which provides them (as I understand it) with some protection. Why can't coaches get longer contracts?
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I know that SA Senate had talks with the Board of Regents about multi-year contracts. The BOR will not be against it, but they will not promote it either. The people who control contracts are the Bureau of Personnel. These people might be able to change the contracts to multi-year or if they can not we have to get them to agree with us if we take it to the legislature to get it approved, if not they will testify against the proposal and the legislature will look down on that.

Comment

I would venture to guess that SDSU's coaches that have been around a while have a "bonus" structure in place thru the Foundation that is partially tied to their length of service. So, if they leave before a certain benchmark they will leave some money on the table.

Just hypothesising, don't take my comment as fact or insider info.
              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I have a feeling with our new venture into DI the practice of 1 year contracts will be revised.

Comment

I think in order to keep coaches here and to attract coaches to come here we have to go beyond 1 year contracts. However, most of us don't even have the benefit of even a 1 week contract. The vast majority of us live as "at-will employees" and can be fired at a moment's notice. Granted, there are state laws that further govern hiring and firing, but most states adhere to the at-will employment method. Essentially, if the employer feels like downsizing and doesn't use some constitutionally protected reason for getting rid of you (i.e. - your race, religious beliefs, age, etc.) then he/she can fire you. If your employer calls you in the office and says "we've decided we no longer need your services and are giving you 2 weeks severance", you're basically SOL. Without a written contract, which most jobs don't provide (because that would give you the opportunity to have a cause of action for breach of contract if you were fired), your job is actually less secure than that of a state of SD employee (coaches included).

"You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I should state that I have no idea if SD is an at-will employment state.  My law license is for Wisconsin.  The only law in SD that I know comes from past personal indiscretions.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

SD is an at-will employment state!

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X