Sioux Falls Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sioux Falls Development

The area near the Falls known as Uptown may be getting it's first major new project.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/70306017

Sioux Falls Development

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS/703150336

Project to make splash at I-29 & I-90
    Construction on water park to start this year

By Jill Callison
    jcalliso@argusleader.com
    Published: March 15, 2007

A water park and resort will occupy a sprawling piece of land where Interstate 90 meets Interstate 29 on the northwest side of Sioux Falls.

It will include the city's largest hotel and jumpstart development in a corner of the city that's long been lacking large-scale commerce.

Dr. Lloyd Solberg, a Sioux Falls cardiologist who has owned the property with his wife, Jayne, for more than 20 years, announced plans Wednesday for the $85 million Splash Resort and Conference Center. It will feature 400 guest rooms and a 50,000-square-foot enclosed water park.

Construction is scheduled to begin this summer, and it could open by February 2009.

The 80-acre development would include Redstone Village, which would have 400,000 square feet of retail space for stores and 200,000 square feet of office space. It would come together during the next 10 years. Completed, it is expected to add as many as 6,000 retail, hospitality and office jobs.

Total cost of the development is estimated at $180 million to $200 million.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

Re: Sioux Falls Development

For those of us living in Brookings, I'm glad to hear that SF is developing some commercial property to the north.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I'm even more glad to hear it living in North SF!!!

Comment

Econimic Development in Sioux Falls

The great news about economic development in Brookings posted on another thread in this category, prompted me to start this tread on Sioux Falls.  Economic development anywhere in South Dakota is good for SDSU.  And SDSU and the Jacks will particularly benefit from development in the Eastern part of the state.

There are at least five major projects scheduled to start in Sioux Falls this year, all of which are multi-hundred million dollar projects.  There of course is the Sanford Hospital project in central Sioux Falls, the water part development at the corner of of I 29 and I 90, the Uptown Sioux Falls development between downtown and Falls Park, and two combination shopping center/residential developments on the East side, the Dawley Farm Village and ParaPassu's Galleria at River Bend.  And there may be others of which I am not aware.

The developments in Brookings, Sioux Falls and the rest of the I-29 corridor such as Watertown will transform the area in ways that are almost hard to imagine.  SDSU and the Jacks are well positioned to benefit from all of this.

EDIT: I should have posted this under the Sioux Falls devopment thread, but don't know how to move it now. Feel free to move it Filbert or 89Rabbitt.

Comment

We now have three Sioux Falls Development threads!

Comment

Airport Plans Long Term Expansion

By Kent ErdahlEvery fifteen years the Federal Aviation Administration asks the Sioux Falls Regional Airport to look to the horizon and predict growth and this time around that prediction is sky-high.

A new master plan calls for $100 million in improvements to the airport over the next 20 years including short term projects like a new snow removal equipment building scheduled for this summer, intermediate projects like an expanded baggage claim and a new air traffic control tower planned in 6-10 years, and long term options like increased parking and a new concourse which are still more than a decade away.

"You just plan for growth," says Sioux Falls Regional Airport executive director Mike Marnach. "And if the growth is occuring, which it is here, then we're making a plan to take that into consideration."

http://www.ksfy.com/news/6584287.html

Comment

Re: Econimic Development in Sioux Falls

Originally posted by Rabbit74
                The great news about economic development in Brookings posted on another thread in this category, prompted me to start this tread on Sioux Falls.  Economic development anywhere in South Dakota is good for SDSU.  And SDSU and the Jacks will particularly benefit from development in the Eastern part of the state.

There are at least five major projects scheduled to start in Sioux Falls this year, all of which are multi-hundred million dollar projects.  There of course is the Sanford Hospital project in central Sioux Falls, the water part development at the corner of of I 29 and I 90, the Uptown Sioux Falls development between downtown and Falls Park, and two combination shopping center/residential developments on the East side, the Dawley Farm Village and ParaPassu's Galleria at River Bend.  And there may be others of which I am not aware.

The developments in Brookings, Sioux Falls and the rest of the I-29 corridor such as Watertown will transform the area in ways that are almost hard to imagine.  SDSU and the Jacks are well positioned to benefit from all of this.

EDIT:  I should have posted this under the Sioux Falls devopment thread, but don't know how to move it now.  Feel free to move it Filbert or 89Rabbitt.
                You are exactly right it will benefit SDSU and the Jackrabbit athletics. Maybe I am just a dreamer, but whenever SF gets a new arena built, I hope it has 12000-15000 capacity. The fans in the area have proven that they will buy tickets to watch D-I postseason basketball. A new arena would make the Mid-Con conference tournament a fixture in Sioux Falls and it would also give Sioux Falls the opportunity to host NCAA tournament games on both the men's and women's side.

Improving the airport will make Brookings more accesible to teams outside the region, so they will be more likely to sign home and home deals with the Jackrabbits
                Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

From what I am learning about the big dance and still know little, it appears that all the games are played on a neutral venue. If a large facility in Sioux Falls is built and its large enough to bid on a NCAA regional, I suspect that SDSU would not appear in that particular regional even with a selection at large or winning the Mid Con. I do wonder if tickets would be available to SF and surrounding area fans or would they be held back for all the participating team followers? I know tickets have been hard to come by when the Twin Cities hosted regionals in the past.

At any rate a NCAA Regional would be awfully good business for Sioux Falls. Facilities built now days are never big enough. The SF arena is hardly eligible even with the new improvements and everyone thought it was quiet the place back in 1962 or so when it opened. High school state touraments moved from Huron to SF because of more seating. Now the arena is short in seating and probably very out dated so a new one should be on the drawing boards.

I cant help but think some good things will happen soon in Sioux Falls will happen, and the WNIT crowds are no doubt are getting the attention of planners in SF.

I know acreages between SF and Brookings seem to be going higher and higher in sales price, so this land in between is very valuable, besides being some of the best farm land in the entire state. I understand some farm land in south Moody County went for 2500 per acre recently. Even with a bumper crop you wonder how that cash flows out positively if you got a note on the newly purchased land. This kind of suggests that developers are buying land and waiting for their right move.

There are some tough choices coming down the road. To farm or to urbanize being the big one in some of the area between Bks and SF.

Comment

If I remember right, last year sometime, there was a lot of talk in S.F. about voting on and building a new arena as part as some downtown development. The talked has seemed to fizzle a bit and I'm not sure of all details since then.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
                      If I remember right, last year sometime, there was a lot of talk in S.F. about voting on and building a new arena as part as some downtown development. The talked has seemed to fizzle a bit and I'm not sure of all details since then.
                      My personal opinion is that a new Sioux Falls arena is an idea that will resurface again, fairly quickly I think. The Sioux Falls Arena is just getting too old (and, possibly, too small) to continue to be the city's primary venue much longer.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

A lot of the momentum for a new arena in SF died when the voters soundly rejected a proposal for a new rec center. Cost over-runs on the Philips to the Falls project and some other lack-of-transparencies in city government made the public very skeptical of mega-projects from city government. In addition, the city has the Lewis and Clark water project to worry about. Finally, people would prefer that the new arena was not funded largely on the backs of the property tax payers, with some favoring a new hotel tax to help pay for the arena. This option, however, needs state approval, which is a challenge (at best).

I don't foresee SF ever hosting a men's MBB regional because of its size and the intense competition. A WBB regional, however, would be more of a possiblity, especially since the host school would often get placed there.

On a side note, Mitchell has an events center in the works:
                        http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/arti...p;section=news
                        If Mitchell can get this built, SF may want to resurrect their arena plans so they aren't the ones worrying about losing statewide events.......

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                          [quote author=SD-STATE link=1173962272/0#9 date=1174420117]If I remember right, last year sometime, there was a lot of talk in S.F. about voting on and building a new arena as part as some downtown development. The talked has seemed to fizzle a bit and I'm not sure of all details since then.
                          My personal opinion is that a new Sioux Falls arena is an idea that will resurface again, fairly quickly I think.  The Sioux Falls Arena is just getting too old (and, possibly, too small) to continue to be the city's primary venue much longer.[/quote]

I really think that with R.C. annoucing that they are building another arena will push S.F. too do so also.. I laff because R.C.'s exsisting arena is nicer then S.F.'s bigger and isn't used near as much as S.F.'s... Sioux Falls has 3 very successful sport team tennents in there arena and I really think they should go ahead and build another one.. One thing though I would favor building it next to the exsisting arena.. I don't know if there is room but they have howard wood, and the birdcage and can be part of the convention center also.. Nothing against DownTown but as an out of towner coming to see a skyforce game I like the fact that its easy to find and easy to get out of town...

I would propose a 10,000-12,000 2 decked arena...

Comment

On a side note, Mitchell has an events center in the works:
                            http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/arti...p;section=news
                            If Mitchell can get this built, SF may want to resurrect their arena plans so they aren't the ones worrying about losing statewide events.......[/quote]

I doubt this will pass... I'm for it 110% but when you mention property tax increase in south dakota people get really negative... even if its just small ammounts

Comment

No way Sioux Falls hosts a men's NCAA regiona or even the opening round games. Just not enough population base around here. I have attended the regional and final four in Minneapolis and had no trouble getting tickets the day of the games. Pleny of seats are empty at many of the opening round games even in much larger metro areas than Sioux Falls will ever become. As for the women's NCAA, different story and probably more likely.

Omaha will be hosting the first two rounds of next years Men's NCAA tourney. I would go but there is just so much going on around that time I'm not sure I want to miss other potential events.

Sioux Falls will build a new arena, its just a matter of money.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X