AA basketball in SD is hard to watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA basketball in SD is hard to watch

Yankton defeated Watertown in "thriling" fashion 32-29 last night. I don't know if its just the ESD but these games are tough to watch. I'm not sure these kids are learning a style of basketball that is consistent with the game played at the next level. Not that that is what its about, but I think there is something to be said when a high scoring game in SD boy's basketball means one team exceeds 50 points.

I don't think you can really place blame but I was present when a couple of AD's were discussing this issue and I think they would like to find a solution. I enjoy watching a well disciplined team play basketball but I'd like to see at least 1 point a minute. A shot clock probably isn't practical so a change in the coaching philosophy is probably the only solution.

I'd be interested to hearing more opinions from those closer to high school basketball in the state. It might be as simple as the lack of talent on the court prevents teams from scoring more. I definitely think that plays a part. Maybe I'm wrong.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: AA basketball in SD is hard to watch

I think at least at the AA level, shot clocks are the solution. Those schools can afford them. Hel!, they would probably pay for themselves by increased attendance at the games, when people didn't have to watch 5 minute possessions.

Comment

I agree Jackmd! AA ball has been a bore for years. Yet those athletes, because of the schools they attend, think they're so much better then the rest of the state! They have it instilled in them that they score so few points due to Defense, but if you take a great class A or B team thats use to scoring 70-80 pts a night, I don't know that any AA school would know HOW to score that many points!

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitcoach
        I agree Jackmd!  AA ball has been a bore for years.  Yet those athletes, because of the schools they attend, think they're so much better then the rest of the state!  They have it instilled in them that they score so few points due to Defense, but if you take a great class A or B team thats use to scoring 70-80 pts a night, I don't know that any AA school would know HOW to score that many points!
        an A or B school wouldnt score 70 or 80 points against a AA school, mark my word. and i think it is defense but it might also be that the refs at the AA level, let it get more physical.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit
          [quote author=rabbitcoach link=1168092072/0#2 date=1168119117]I agree Jackmd!  AA ball has been a bore for years.  Yet those athletes, because of the schools they attend, think they're so much better then the rest of the state!  They have it instilled in them that they score so few points due to Defense, but if you take a great class A or B team thats use to scoring 70-80 pts a night, I don't know that any AA school would know HOW to score that many points!
          an A or B school wouldnt score 70 or 80 points against a AA school, mark my word.  and i think it is defense but it might also be that the refs at the AA level, let it get more physical.
          [/quote]

I'm not really interested in what an A or B school would do against a AA school, its not really relevant.  My point is more about the style of play, especially in the ESD.  I have been watching several high school games on various sports networks and the game in the other states is a lot different.  Granted, many of the teams have 2 or more players with major conference teams recruiting or having signed them so the talent level is much greater than here.  However, I think coaching styles and potentially officiating have contributed.  Now, I come from a B/A school and only played against AA kids in junior high (thats what we called it), soph, and JV games.  Generally, they were more talented from top of the roster to the bottom.

Its not necessarily about preparing kids for the next level so I'm not asking for sweeping changes but I would like to see a faster pace and a little more scoring.  That will definitely prepare the kids better for DI basketball.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I'm not saying any random A or B school. The upper level of both classes could compete with AA and I really do believe a select few schools would continue their same scoring output.

Comment

then maybe we need to go to a one class system and let them try and compete. now and then an upper A school could compete with the mid to lower AA schools. lennox and custer has proven that in the past. i cant see the top B schools competing very often with AA. and if the A or B school does score 70 points against the AA, then the AA is going to score 80-90. they do now how to shoot, its just the defense the prevents it from happening. ive seen since arguement on the argus forum before and neither side will give in. so until it happens on the court, we will never know.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit
                then maybe we need to go to a one class system and let them try and compete.  now and then an upper A school could compete with the mid to lower AA schools.  lennox and custer has proven that in the past.  i cant see the top B schools competing very often with AA.  and if the A or B school does score 70 points against the AA, then the AA is going to score 80-90.  they do now how to shoot, its just the defense the prevents it from happening.   ive seen since arguement on the argus forum before and neither side will give in.  so until it happens on the court, we will never know.  
                I didn't want this to become a discussion about AA vs A vs B. IT DOESN'T MATTER. I want to hear some opinions about AA basketball in SD. I must admit, I don't pay that much attention to it. My kids are all 5 and under and I last played high school ball in 1991. However, the other day at a funtion I listend to a couple of ADs discussing AA basketball games this season. Their comments were along the lines of the low scoring, especially in the ESD. Comments included the quality of defense, especially big men in the paint, but also the lack of scoring and the coaching philosophy. So, I decided to pay attention. Just so happens, last night here in Yankton the score was 32-29 and to me that just drove home the point these guys were trying to make. Now, one game does not make a season but in reviewing other scores, 50 points aren't too often scored.

I don't care about the discussion regarding the different classes. It just doesn't matter who could beat whom.

Comment

I think its a lack of that kind of player you can build a fast-paced game around.  Watertown's coach, SDSU great Brian Norberg, is not blessed with having kids with superior basketball talent.  He has some athletic kids but they're just not showing much at this point.

I'm for a shot clock.

Comment

Shot clock and 2 halves of basketball instead of 4 quarters will speed the AA up and generate more points.

Comment

Shot clock and 2 halves of basketball instead of 4 quarters will speed the AA up and generate more points

Amen

Comment

so sd would go to 18 minute halves like minnesota? so it is 8 minute quarters times 4 is 32 minutes and it would be 36 minutes for a game. 4 more minutes. how many more points will be scored in 4 minutes. and a shot clock will prevent teams from slowing the game down or it could also force teams to take bad shots before the shot clock expires, thus, not scoring anymore points than before. i say leave it alone. ive watched AA basketball for 20 yrs and havent quit going because of the low scores. what did some of the A and B teams score last night? Iroquois 40 Langford 38 Redfield 43 Hitchcock/Tulare 36 Sunshine Bible 40 Plankinton 36 Irene/Wakonda 48 Bon Homme 29. Oh and some AA scores last night. Roosevelt 64 RC STevens 58 Washington 72 Spearfish 69. OK OK Ogorman 38 RC Central 32.

it doesnt happen every night and it doesnt just happen in AA basketball. If it isnt broke, dont fix it. I vote, leave it alone.

Comment

http://www.dglobe.com/articles/index...242743785d4f6a

I don't watch SD HS basketball at all except I've been to the state tournament a couple of years ago. I'm from MN so I went to a local newspaper to see some scores. They play 18 minute halves and maybe that would do something. The scores are def higher than what has been added on here....although I will add that SW MN has some pretty decent players of late and you should all be watching Cody Schilling play from Ellsworth. He's the real deal and we should be working hard for him.

Comment

Didn't work...go to dglobe.com...click on sports..and then on the HBC-Ellsworth game I think and that will show some scores. You do not have to log in.

Comment

The ESD was a low scoring league back in the fifties and sixties when I was in high school. Not the kind of basketball that translates easily to the college game.

Comment

Working...
                              X