SF Arena Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SF Arena Improvements

With the talk about SF wanting to possibly put in a bid for the Mid Con Tourney in the near future. I am just curious want people's opinions are on what needs to be done at the SF Arena to update it (scoreboards, seating, concourse, concessions, etc.) (considering SF doesn't build a new arena in the near future).

Here are my thoughts: 1.) Hire Daktronics to completely upgrade the scoreboards and videoboards. We have all seen what has happened to the evironment and look of Frost Arena by adding the new scoreboards throughout the arena. 2.) Update the seating in the upper balcony. Remove the old wooden seatbacks with new and improved ones. The look and feel of the Arena sometimes makes you feel like you are stuck in the 70's, it kind of has a retro look.

Re: SF Arena Improvements

Are there any wooden seats anymore in the Arena? We were just at a hockey game & I don't remember seeing any, but then not all are out for hockey. The Arena really is not functional, time to take Kelby up on his offer and get it done.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

The only improvement I want to see would be done with a dozer.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDak
        The only improvement I want to see would be done with a dozer.  
        Amen

Comment

I wouldn't want them too bulldoze it its in a good location and would be great for high school games and for conventions, however I do think a New Arena where ever needs to be built for there minor league teams/state tournaments/ and the ocational college game.

Comment

This is a good editorial on the resistance to change in the state and how it relates to the Arena.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../1157/VOICES08

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
              I wouldn't want them too bulldoze it its in a good location and would be great for high school games and for conventions, however I do think a New Arena where ever needs to be built for there minor league teams/state tournaments/ and the ocational college game.
              How can you reply to that? Just makes me shake my head. You have to be making some of the grammatical errors on purpose. Not a personal attack, just an observation. Maybe its just me but I find it hard to believe anyone in college or with a college education could write like that. Try to take the criticism constructively and improve yourself. It will help you a lot and make things much better for the rest of us. Sorry for the discourse but its the right thing to do.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The current Sioux Falls Arena is, in a word, a dump.

There's plenty of room on the existing site to build a new arena with maybe 10,000 seats for hockey and 11-12,000 for basketball.

Adding it onto the Convention Center site and the Sheraton hotel is really a no-brainer, as far as I'm concerned.

After it's built, you can demolish the current Arena and reclaim the space for additional parking.

Tell me who to send my consulting bill to . . .
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

[quote author=filbert link=1176648053/0#7 date=
                  After it's built, you can demolish the current Arena and reclaim the space for additional parking.

Tell me who to send my consulting bill to . . .  [/quote]

I would hesitate to defend the Sioux Falls Arena, but calling it a dump is a little strong. When is the last time you have been inside it? The arrival lobby and the expansive number of ticket boxes is nice as it was a new addition with the Convention Center. The center scoreboard definitely needs replaced as do the old wooden seats. The sight lines are good and the number of concession stands and menu choices are much better than Frost. With all that said Sioux Falls definitely needs a new atate of the art venue. I'm certain it will not be at the current athletic complex. I'm probably in the minority on this board, but I strongly feel the new arena should be place downtown as the focus group concluded. I know people driving in from out of town would like to drive in pull off the interstate and park and walk in the building. I would rather see the site on the river that is being held for the city be developed. If the city can figure out a way to get 60,000 people in and out of downtown in a short period of time for some of the special events and parades that happen each year they can handle 12,000-15,000. The convenience of being able to walk to bars, restaurants before and after games would be a huge boost for economy. There is a reason all the new arenas are being built downtown such as Omaha, Des Moines, Sioux City and that is because that is where the greatest economic impact will be felt by the respective city. If you want to talk about dumps in a bad neighborhood than I think Kemper Arena goes to the top of the list.

Comment

In Omaha, Sioux City, and Des Moines, you can do all of the things you mentioned - pull off the interstate, park and walk to the building, and have the convenience of walking to bars and eateries before and after the game. That is the biggest difference between those places and Sioux Falls. There is no interstate that runs through downtown Sioux Falls. I always hear those comparisions, but they are not accurate. While you are at it, toss in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and Green Bay, Wisconsin. They are a couple of other cities in the midwest that have built new facilities lately. Each of those are located just off the interstate, and new retail and eating and drinking astablishments have sprung up around them, so people can pull off the interstate, park and walk to the building, and have the convenience of walking to bars and eateries before and after the game.

I really like downtown Sioux Falls, and really like spending time downtown in most of the cities I travel to. However, I would be in favor of building a new facility on the site of the current Arena, just a few blocks from the interstate, or picking a new, wide open location and let the private developers build what they think will make money around it. Just my opinion. If it is built downtown, I would certainly go if there was something worth going to.

Comment

Here is what I would do.
                      1st.I would build a new arena with a hotel (similiar to the exsisting arena or R.C.)
                      2nd. I would build it where you can build around it with appropriate parking, restaraunt and so on.
                      3rd I would make it easily assesable as in close to the interstate and 4 lane roads two and from with multiple ways to get there. preventing a trafic jam.
                      4th.. A parking ramp would be an option but I would be hesitant to buld it right away.
                      5th. I would make it 10-12 thousand, accustically friendly, and with electronics similiar to the Excel Center in St. Paul
                      6th. I would put offices there so the Skyforce, Stampede and Storm can all have there offices part of the complex
                      7th. I would sell the naming rights to help with the bill

I would then leave the exsisting arena as it is. They can utilize the arena to host bigger conventions, big high school games and classic's, and can be used as a "just incase" scenario for the Skyforce or Storm incase of a scheduling conflict.

That is what I would do but I am not paying for it

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                        Here is what I would do.
                        1st.I would build a new arena with a hotel (similiar to the exsisting arena or R.C.)
                        2nd. I would build it where you can build around it with appropriate parking, restaraunt and so on.
                        3rd I would make it easily assesable as in close to the interstate and 4 lane roads two and from with multiple ways to get there. preventing a trafic jam.
                        4th.. A parking ramp would be an option but I would be hesitant to buld it right away.
                        5th. I would make it 10-12 thousand, accustically friendly, and with electronics similiar to the Excel Center in St. Paul
                        6th. I would put offices there so the Skyforce, Stampede and Storm can all have there offices part of the complex
                        7th. I would sell the naming rights to help with the bill

I would then leave the exsisting arena as it is. They can utilize the arena to host bigger conventions, big high school games and classic's, and can be used as a "just incase" scenario for the Skyforce or Storm incase of a scheduling conflict.

That is what I would do but I am not paying for it
                        Pretty much agree with you other than your last point. If the old arena wasn't being used all the time like it currently is, I'm guessing it would be a pretty huge drain maintenance wise. I don't think it turns much of a profit as is, only using it maybe 10% as much in your scenario I'm guessing would be very expensive.

Comment

I do think that the Arena still would have a place once a new building would be built. Look at the issues in SF right now. The Stampede would have to play a home playoff game on the road because of the circus, the Storm are playing now and the Skyforce were just playing in the playoffs. I would like to see the arena dressed up a bit for one of those sports and become their permanent home plus other events. That would just ease the crush this time of year.
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

They could turn the old arena into a family rec center. That's what Sioux City did. I know Sioux Falls has wanted a family rec center, so maybe they could kill two birds with one stone, and get two major civic projects done at the same time. The old arena site might not be the best for a city rec center though since it is not centrally located, but it is easy to get to.

Comment

I really don't think it would be wise to put up any events center seating less than 16,000 people. It isn't often this town builds something like that, and this one better go up with a lasting capacity. I like the Qwest Center in Omaha, for example, and think it would be wise money to build something maybe a touch smaller but fairly close to that.

A couple of years ago, a new bridge for I-229 was put in over the river, and at the time they quoted it in the paper as a 50 year bridge. So, why in blue blazes did they make it a 4 lane bridge when it's quite apparent already that it would be far safer and easier if 80% of the beltway was at least 3 lanes. In 10 years, they will have to tear out the 50 year bridge at an age of 12, to get more lanes across. We really need to start looking forward.

Comment

Working...
                              X