Daktronics gets another Big Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daktronics gets another Big Deal

Brookings-based Daktronics has announced it will provide a $2.4 million upgrade to the Pittsburgh Steelers main end zone scoreboard inside Heinz Field.

Daktronics will replace the scoreboard’s existing screen with its newest generation of 4.4 trillion color HD-X LED display, which spans 96 feet and stands 27 feet high,with an active display area exceeding 2,600, according to a company statement. The new technology will nearly quadruple the resolution of the existing display.
    http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/70130026
    Sounds like things in my department are going to pick up sometime soon. It's about time as they are/have been farming out most of the Large Sport Venue aka ProStar/ProAd people out to other departments. There's a rumor of another big deal coming around some time in the next year or so. Our wonderful friends from the Yankees are supposedly looking at getting a couple hundred million or more dollar display for their new stadium.

Re: Daktronics gets another Big Deal

I suppose this isn't really a Daktronics thing, but do you think we'll eventually see LEDs small enough to have direct view LED panels for consumer sized (37/42/50 inch 16:9) TVs?

Comment

I'm not sure. Right now the smallest spacing between LEDs Dak uses is 3.5 or 4mm. I don't know if you could get them any closer though. The LED's put off quite a bit of heat and when you get a couple of big displays lit up and burning in for 6 hours it makes that particular area of the plant quite warm.

Comment

I thought LEDs were 90%+ efficient? I wouldn't think they'd generate much heat.

Comment

Originally posted by 2006gwfcchamps
          Your knowledge continues to amaze me. Of course LED's don't generate much heat because you think so. End of discussion. Once again, give us a break with these kind of posts. You are running on the borerline of ridiculous.

Comment

Do you have something of substance to add btown?

Comment

Do you have something of substance to add btown?
              No, other than the fact that if you want to stay away from our message board you aren't going to hurt my feelings or hurt the feelings of many others on this board.

Comment

Please speak for yourself.

Comment

Discuss posts, not posters please.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Get yourself a few LEDs... like 20 or 30... not much heat. I have an LED broadcast video light that is pretty cool to the touch.

A million LEDs in a large matrix, on the other hand... well, you get a good bit of heat.

It's nothing compared to the power-hungry furnaces the old JumboTron-style boards were (those were like running 5,000 television sets). LEDs are vastly more efficient. But they do generate some heat. I'm not a math expert, but the formula looks like this:

A little heat x 1,000,000 = a lot of heat.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                      [quote author=2006gwfcchamps link=1170207125/0#5 date=1170264290]Do you have something of substance to add btown?
                      No, other than the fact that if you want to stay away from our message board you aren't going to hurt my feelings or hurt the feelings of many others on this board.[/quote]

2006gwfchamps: I am speaking for myself, You are welcome on this site anytime.
                      We...ARE...STATE!
                      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack

Get yourself a few LEDs... like 20 or 30... not much heat. I have an LED broadcast video light that is pretty cool to the touch.

A million LEDs in a large matrix, on the other hand... well, you get a good bit of heat.

It's nothing compared to the power-hungry furnaces the old JumboTron-style boards were (those were like running 5,000 television sets). LEDs are vastly more efficient. But they do generate some heat. I'm not a math expert, but the formula looks like this:

Ok, got it.

Comment

[quote author=JimmyJack link=1170207125/0#9 date=1170290460]

Ok, got it.
                          [/quote]

Sorry, that came off as more smart-alecky than I intended it to be.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Not at all.

To me, it seems like for a given A, an LED makes a vast amount more cd than incandescents and fluorescents. So I wonder why it's taking so long to switch to LEDs for all lighting purposes.

Comment

Not at all.

To me, it seems like for a given A, an LED makes a vast amount more cd than incandescents and fluorescents. So I wonder why it's taking so long to switch to LEDs for all lighting purposes.
                              I have noticed that more and more laptops are using LEDs as the light source behind the LCD screen. And in broadcast video production, there is definitely a move to LEDs and away from old tungsten and more recent fluorescent technologies. The power usage and heat are much less per lumen with LEDs.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                              X