Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gorilla news

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...02/-1/BUSINESS

Is an Allen Township man behind a Dakotas land grab?

By GARY T. PAKULSKI
    BLADE BUSINESS WRITER

FINDLAY -Why are people in a small town in South Dakota scouring the Internet and poring over Hancock County electronic property records looking for information about Richard E. White?

Because many people in Elk Point, S.D., believe that the retired Marathon Oil Corp. executive is involved in a massive land hunt that could turn out to be part of one of the largest economic development projects in South Dakota history.

It has been nicknamed "the gorilla."

People who know, including the state's governor, aren't talking. Many have been required to sign confidentiality agreements.

And Mr. White didn't return messages left at his home in Allen Township near Van Buren, Ohio.

But Elk Point residents trying to find information about the secret project, whose value is estimated at up to $8 billion, found him after launching an Internet search into a man named R.E. White who signed purchase options on land in the largely rural area along the Missouri River.

Developers are said to be assembling 5,000 acres in two separate sections near Elk Point, which is just north of Sioux City, Iowa. The facility, rumored to be an auto plant or oil refinery, could eventually employ 2,000, local people have heard. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Gorilla news

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...EWS03/70613016

South Dakota Department of Tourism and State Development Secretary Richard Benda will hold a media briefing at 4:30 p.m. today at the Community Room of the Union County Courthouse.

The purpose of the briefing is to announce "Project Gorilla," the state said in a news release. (read more)

Comment

Hyperion Oil is looking at the site for a new refinery, not definite that the site is where it is going to go, but that is what the project is. Didn't get to hear much more other than it would be a new type technologically of refinery.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Well, the Gorilla is a "green" oil refinery.......let the debate begin......

Comment

They say it's "eco friendly" while using 12 million gallons of water per day. Seems to be a lot for being eco-friendly but maybe it wouldn't be that big of a deal? I'm not sure. We'll have to see if this actually goes through as 1strowfanatic stated that it's not a for sure deal. Maybe it would bring down the gas prices in SD

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031
            They say it's "eco friendly" while using 12 million gallons of water per day. Seems to be a lot for being eco-friendly but maybe it wouldn't be that big of a deal? I'm not sure. We'll have to see if this actually goes through as 1strowfanatic stated that it's not a for sure deal. Maybe it would bring down the gas prices in SD  
            It will use the water for cooling purposes. I would assume it would be recylced and go back into the river.
            Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

I stand corrected

Comment

I realize 12,000,000 gallons sounds like alot of water, and in all honesty it is.  But considering how much water moves down the Missouri River in a day its just a drop in the bucket, and considering the majority of it will be returned back to the River its not really that big of a deal.

Just to put this into perspective, consider a flow rate of 10,000 cubic feet per second (CFS), which is about as low a rate that ever is released downstream from the dams on the Missouri River.  This is based on the 9,000 cfs flow rate quoted on page 27 of the Missouri River Operating Plan I found using Google.

Here is the link to the Plan
                http://www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil/rcc...P2006-2007.pdf

So using a 10,000 cfs flow rate for ease of calculations consider this...
                10,000 cfs X 60 sec/min X 60 min/hr X 24 hr/day X 7.48 gallons/cubic foot = 6,462,720,000 gallons of water a day.  
                So the required cooling water for the refinery is 0.185% (12/6,462.72) of the flow of the Missouri at its lowest flow rate.  Like I said, its a drop in the bucket, and the drop will be going back into the river anyways.

I can already see that this is going to be a not-in-my-backyard issue and some people are going to fight tooth and nail against it.  I think this would be a good deal for South Dakota.  They are talking about 10,000 jobs during construction and another 2,000 permanent positions at the plant.  These are not minimum wage jobs, they will likely be good paying jobs with good benefits.

With the TransCanada pipeline being built to bring crude oil from Canada, a major water resource in the Missouri River, close proximity to two major interstates, a nice centralized location in the middle part of the United States, a tax friendly atmosphere for the company and its employees, and a booming ethanol industry in SD, IA, and NE for blended fuels, this really looks to be an attractive location for them to build it.

I don't see how people can continually complain about high gas prices then turn around and be against this project.

Comment

Alot of information about it in the KSFY article

http://www.ksfy.com/news/local/7978372.html

Comment

This article from Sioux City says wages would range from $20 to $30 an hour.

http://www.kpth.com/news/7982922.html

Comment

Jack 02,

Please see highlight above. Thanks for the research though. You outdid yourself but I think it will probably help anyone else that was wondering about the water. And I'm not against it at all and it sounds like a good deal. I hope it does come into the region and I hope the gas prices fall a little because of this.

Comment

My understanding (which isn't much) is coal to diesel fuel refinery.  Can they secure enough land seems to be the limiting factor.  I expect to hear a lot about other possible locations and the great loss it would be for SD if this project is rejected here.

Argus says oil to low sulfur gasoline and diesel fuel. Rounds says enough fuel could be produced to supply SD and the surrounding states. Let the debate begin.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                        X