Dakota Schoolers Summer Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dakota Schoolers Summer Classic

The 2007 Dakota Schoolers Summer Classic is scheduled to take place the weekend of June 8 - June 10, 2007 at Sioux Falls Roosevelt High School. The games begin at 12:30 PM on the 8th and the Championship games are scheduled for 3:00 & 4:10 PM on Sunday, June 10th. All teams will compete in pool play and then play in either a final game (based on pool play 16 & Under) or Championship Tournament.

Highlight game of the tournament -- Friday June 8th @ 7:30 PM 17 & Under Division -- Dakota Schoolers vs. South Dakota Heat

Complete tournament brackets and game times can be found here:

http://www.dakotaschoolers.com/news.html

Re: Dakota Schoolers Summer Classic

Of course, I have to be out of town that weekend.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Dakota Schoolers Summer Classic

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...24/1002/SPORTS

Schoolers start summer classic

By Staff Reports
      Argus Leader
      Published: June 8, 2007

The Dakota Schoolers Summer Classic - a local tune-up for the summer all-star boys basketball circuit - runs today through Sunday at Roosevelt High School.

Tournament organizer and Schoolers founder Paul Seville expects 10 teams to compete in the 17-under division, with six in the 15-under group.

The Schoolers, featuring O'Gorman seniors-to-be Joe Palmitier and Alex Scholten and other area standouts, competed in the Howard Pulley tournament in Minneapolis last month.

Their schedule heats up this month with the River City Hoops Festival in Omaha (June 21-24) and the Dakota Showcase in Sioux Falls (28-30). They'll play against the nation's best at the Reebok Summer Championships in Las Vegas in July.

But first up is this weekend's tourney against in-state rivals - South Dakota Heat and South Dakota Storm - and select teams from Minnesota and North Dakota.

"This is a good chance for us to stay home and have teams come to us," said Seville, whose Schoolers also include Roosevelt sophomores Cody Larson and Adol Aluong and Madison juniors Chad White and Tony Fiegen.

"It's a good tune-up for teams that we'll see in other regional tournaments, and it's also a fund-raiser for us." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Heat 77 - Schoolers 66

Great and entertaining first half by both teams. Heat was without the services of Colton Iverson who opted to attend the University of New Mexico Camp this weekend.

Second half the Heat got off to a 11-0 run and basically dictated tempo the second half. Too much experience and hit better shots in the second half. Louie Krogram had a strong showing leading all scorers with 29 pts. Cody Schilling had 19.

Chad White had a solid first half scoring all 13 of his points in the first half. The second half he fatigued and couldn't get his shots to fall. He pulled double duty having to carry the scoring load and having the task of switching back and forth defending Cody Schilling and Louie Krogman.

Jordan Miller also chipped in 13 and Cody Larson 11.

Thanks to all who attended......nice crowd and hopefully those who came out were entertained.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev
          Heat 77 - Schoolers 66

Great and entertaining first half by both teams.  Heat was without the services of Colton Iverson who opted to attend the University of New Mexico Camp this weekend.  

Second half the Heat got off to a 11-0 run and basically dictated tempo the second half.  Too much experience and hit better shots in the second half.  Louie Krogram had a strong showing leading all scorers with 29 pts.  Cody Schilling had 19.

Chad White had a solid first half scoring all 13 of his points in the first half.  The second half he fatigued and couldn't get his shots to fall.  He pulled double duty having to carry the scoring load and having the task of switching back and forth defending Cody Schilling and Louie Krogman.  

Jordan Miller also chipped in 13 and Cody Larson 11.

Thanks to all who attended......nice crowd and hopefully those who came out were entertained.  
          Was an entertaining night for me, first chance I've had to see future recruits White and Fiegen in action and I enjoyed seeing some of the Heat stars and the other young kids for the schoolers too.  Experience did seem to play into the final score, there were a few stretches in the second half where turnovers and poor shot selection did the Schoolers in.  Not often you get to see that many local DI talented high schoolers playing against each other, I enjoyed it.  Not sure what the attendance total was, but I'd say the gym was about 1/3 full, pretty decent I thought.

Comment

Are there tournament results posted anywhere on the web?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks02
              Are there tournament results posted anywhere on the web?

I haven't seen them, but it is my understanding that the Schoolers beat the Heat by 20 in the finals.    

Go State!  

Comment

From Padraic Duffy in the RC Journal:

I just got back from Sioux Falls where I watched the Dakota Schoolers Classic summer basketball tournament. The trip was ostensibly to watch the South Dakota Heat (led by White River’s Louie Krogman and Yankton’s Colton Iverson) take on the Schoolers.

Friday night’s game was won by the Heat (14 or so?) as Krogman scored 29 and Ellsworth, Minn. standout Cody Schilling dropped 20. Iverson, attending camp in New Mexico, didn’t play the first two days but did make it back for the championship game.

The title game was a completely different story as the Schoolers raced to a 30-point halftime lead (51-21) and won by 20. The difference between the Schoolers and the rest of the teams I saw came down to coaching and execution. Summer ball can devolve into a “Let’s take turns playing 1-on-1[ch8243] atmosphere, but the Schoolers stay away from that, moving the ball quickly and often, which takes a toll on their opponents....

Krogman was held to eight points in the championship game as the wear of a week at Hanson-Anderson and three days of extremely physical basketball took its toll on him. The defense of Shane Cunningham (Aberdeen Central) didn’t help, either.

Krogman is just (and I do mean just) quick enough to deal with athletes like Chad White (Madison) and Cunningham when he’s fresh. He wasn’t fresh on Sunday and at 6 feet tall just doesn’t have enough size to get his shots off like he does in a normal high school game. Louie wants to play D-I basketball — to do that he’s going to have to develop more of a get-to-the FT line mentality to get some easy points, because they’re only going to get harder to come by at that level. White and Cunningham are nice athletes, but (no offense to either of them) they’re not the same caliber of a lot of guys that Louie could see.

The Schoolers’ sophomores-to-be, Cody Larson and Adol Aloung (both from SF Roosevelt) are major talents that will be as good as they want to be. Larson simply outplayed the 6-10 Iverson (said by many to be the top recruit in SD this year). Larson is still a little hesitant and weak at times on the block, but he is only 15. His potential is absurd.

The Madison juniors (Chad White and Tony Fiegen) are as good as advertised, and should make the Bulldogs the team to beat next season in Class A. White’s a super-skilled 6-and-half-foot tall do-everything type that at times seems too smooth, but he is a competitor. Fiegen may be too nice of a kid for his own good on a basketball floor, but his ability to dominate around the rim and on the baseline is only going to get better over the next couple of years. The pair has verbally committed to SDSU.

You can read the rest at http://rapidcityjournal.com/blogs/sports/

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher
                  From Padraic Duffy in the RC Journal:

I just got back from Sioux Falls where I watched the Dakota Schoolers Classic summer basketball tournament. The trip was ostensibly to watch the South Dakota Heat (led by White River’s Louie Krogman and Yankton’s Colton Iverson) take on the Schoolers.

Friday night’s game was won by the Heat (14 or so?) as Krogman scored 29 and Ellsworth, Minn. standout Cody Schilling dropped 20. Iverson, attending camp in New Mexico, didn’t play the first two days but did make it back for the championship game.

The title game was a completely different story as the Schoolers raced to a 30-point halftime lead (51-21) and won by 20. The difference between the Schoolers and the rest of the teams I saw came down to coaching and execution. Summer ball can devolve into a “Let’s take turns playing 1-on-1[ch8243] atmosphere, but the Schoolers stay away from that, moving the ball quickly and often, which takes a toll on their opponents....

Krogman was held to eight points in the championship game as the wear of a week at Hanson-Anderson and three days of extremely physical basketball took its toll on him. The defense of Shane Cunningham (Aberdeen Central) didn’t help, either.

Krogman is just (and I do mean just) quick enough to deal with athletes like Chad White (Madison) and Cunningham when he’s fresh. He wasn’t fresh on Sunday and at 6 feet tall just doesn’t have enough size to get his shots off like he does in a normal high school game. Louie wants to play D-I basketball — to do that he’s going to have to develop more of a get-to-the FT line mentality to get some easy points, because they’re only going to get harder to come by at that level. White and Cunningham are nice athletes, but (no offense to either of them) they’re not the same caliber of a lot of guys that Louie could see.

The Schoolers’ sophomores-to-be, Cody Larson and Adol Aloung (both from SF Roosevelt) are major talents that will be as good as they want to be. Larson simply outplayed the 6-10 Iverson (said by many to be the top recruit in SD this year). Larson is still a little hesitant and weak at times on the block, but he is only 15. His potential is absurd.

The Madison juniors (Chad White and Tony Fiegen) are as good as advertised, and should make the Bulldogs the team to beat next season in Class A. White’s a super-skilled 6-and-half-foot tall do-everything type that at times seems too smooth, but he is a competitor. Fiegen may be too nice of a kid for his own good on a basketball floor, but his ability to dominate around the rim and on the baseline is only going to get better over the next couple of years. The pair has verbally committed to SDSU.

You can read the rest at http://rapidcityjournal.com/blogs/sports/
                  the only thing I have to disagree with is Iverson being out played I was unable to watch this weekend but I would have to say playing in a D-I camp in New Mexico and flying back and playing is alot of wear and he didn't mention that... Duffy is a great writer compared to Stu at the argus. Also one thing that is understated that he did mention a bit is that the schoolers are coached by Mueller who most think is the best basketball coach in the state even though he doesn't coach anymore in high school. Though Freisen is a good coach he doesn't have the years under the belt like Mueller. I also think the fact that the heat lack that good point guard has and will continue to hurt them... The schoolers have had that problem in the past.

Comment

Hey Padraic (I know he reads this!) how about some love for the XC/track runners in SD. One who went to an elite invitational in Albuquerque, NM that caused U. of Kentucky's coach to take an interest AND also got accepted to SDSU....you should know who I mean! When Stevens girls don't do too good in those NC meets you still write about them. Just a thought...to stay on topic...GO Heat! and Schoolers!

Comment

joeboo22: I was there. Iverson got outplayed. There may be several reasons, including fatigue, but whatever the reason, he got out played. One game. One time. As I said before, that is why I do not envy the coaches.

Krogman also looked very average. But anyone who saw him on TV during the "B"s knows he is not average. At least against the teams in class "B" in South Dakota. Again, another reason to trust the judgement of coaches. They know a lot more than I do!

Comment

All what I was gettin at is how Duffy gave Louie an excuse for looking average but didn't give one for Colton...

Comment

The good news is there is a lot of young talent in the state and hopefully SDSU will get a shot at landing a few of them. Iverson with his size will get a chance to play for a major conference school if that is his desire.

Comment

I also think the fact that the heat lack that good point guard has and will continue to hurt them... The schoolers have had that problem in the past.

Um.......when?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                              Sorry Cadsev about the personal message.... heres what I got.... First of all Beck was an ok point guard with Pesicka and crew...

Now Cad... you told one of my buds that Louie was going to SDSU he has also heard that Tate is going to Mount Marty and that I Eric Mergan is going to DWU and his brother Rane might also go.... me and him also agree that Louie's brothers prolly will be better and that Keither Cuttler is as good if not better high schooler player that Chad White and Tony Fiegen (not saying college prospect) what do you got to say ( I might not respond soon as I prolly will be busy all weekend)

Hopefully you were under the influence when you wrote the above - otherwise you have no excuse.

Comment

Working...
                              X