Is United Airlines Coming Back to Sioux Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is United Airlines Coming Back to Sioux Falls

A fews years ago United Airlines pulled out of SF and left just a more limited United Express serving fewer cities.
    I was on UNited's web site looking for tickets to Denver in September and I now see that United will be having flights from SF to Denver starting in Sep. I assume that means that United is coming back which is great news for the area.
    Anybody know anything about this? Just search for some flights past Sept. and you will see the same thing I saw.

Re: Is United Airlines Coming Back to Sioux Falls

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/70628034

United adding Boeing 737 in Sioux Falls

By Michelle Rydell
    mrydell@argusleader.com
    Published: June 28, 2007

A United Airlines bid to add larger aircraft in Sioux Falls would equate to more seating and lower fares for travelers.

David Jehn, United’s director of North America planning, presented a proposal to the Sioux Falls Regional Airport Authority today to upgrade aircrafts.

United’s switch to a larger aircraft would increase passenger capacity through
    Denver and to western states by 100 extra seats.

To offset the costs, United is requesting a one-time incentive grant of $100,000 from the airport authority.

United Airlines will be conducting a trial test from September to January to see if the transition will prove as beneficial to both consumer and company as it does in theory, Jehn said.

Such an increase in seating is expect to help in the airport’s quest to offer cheaper flights that keep travelers from driving to Omaha for low-price carriers such as Southwest Airlines.

As part of a market test, United will drop one of the five flights through Denver and replace two regional jets with a Boeing 737, which has the ability to seat 115 people. A regional jet can seat either 50 or 66 people.

An estimated 100 extra seats will be added for Denver flights, said Mark Sixel, Sioux Falls air service consultant.

“It would be great to have more seats to a busy market like Denver,” said airport director Mike Marnach.

Larger aircrafts often lead to a decrease in ticket fares to ensure full capacity on flights, Jehn said during his proposal. He estimated that ticket costs will decrease by 10 to 25 percent. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Re: Is United Airlines Coming Back to Sioux Falls

I fly every two to three weeks, sometimes on United, and sad to say, I really don't care what it costs because I don't pay for it, but having the opportunity to fly in a real first class section on the way to Denver will make me happier.

Comment

Working...
      X