Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economic Development

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS/707080318

Refinery, Sanford, mine lab could transform S.D.
    Medical research, scientific industries offer immense economic jolt

By Jon Walker
    jwalker@argusleader.com
    Published: July 8, 2007

South Dakota, for years an economic underdog with its low population and geographic remoteness, is licking its chops over three blockbuster projects that may present a new form of prosperity.

The Sanford Health System announcement in February, the Hyperion oil refinery proposal in June and the Homestake science lab decision expected soon all stand to redefine how the state thinks of itself and does business with others.

The operative word so far is potential. Expansion of the Sioux Falls-based Sanford system has begun, riding the donations of philanthropist T. Denny Sanford, including his recent $400 million promise. But the other two are far from certain. Hyperion Resources, based in Texas, said the Elk Point area in South Dakota's southeast corner is on a list of potential sites for the nation's first oil refinery since 1976. And the Homestake lab proposal has been stuck in "any day now" mode while the National Science Foundation considers whether the abandoned Black Hills gold mine is the best place for subatomic research.

Still, to have three such projects on the table in less than six months, all with national or international consequences, is heady territory for a state that's routinely berated for its climate, brain drain and low wages.

"Just one of those has the potential to change the course of history for the state, let alone all three," said Dan Scott, president of the Sioux Falls Development Foundation. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Economic Development

Homestake is in!!!!

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Homestake gold mine in South Dakota's
    Black Hills has been selected for a national laboratory that would
    be the deepest in the world.

Governor Rounds and the state's congressional delegation
    confirmed the selection in a joint statement. A news conference is
    planned later today at Lead (leed), where the mine is located.

Rounds calls is "great news" for science, South Dakota and the
    region.

((Help with the quotes, please???))
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

GREAT NEWS! ;D ;D ;D ;D

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...round_Lab.html

South Dakota wins federal underground lab project

By MARY CLARE JALONICK
        ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

WASHINGTON -- The National Science Foundation has chosen South Dakota's closed Homestake Gold Mine to house a federally funded underground physics lab, a project that could bring millions of dollars to the state.

The state won the project, called the Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory, over Washington and two other states. The project is designed to study the history and makeup of the universe.

In a news release, the agency said Homestake offers the greatest potential for developing the lab. Tony Chan, assistant director for the agency's Directorate of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, said the closed mine is a "unique, world-leading facility."

The lab at Lead, S.D., in the northern Black Hills, would be the largest and deepest facility of its kind in the world, according to the agency.

South Dakota Gov. Mike Rounds and the state's congressional delegation praised the announcement in a joint release.

"This is great news for science and of course for South Dakota and the region," Rounds said.

The team developing the project is expected to receive up to $5 million a year for three years to continue developing a plan for the lab. Construction is scheduled to start in fiscal year 2010, depending on funding from Congress.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go South Dakota!  

Go State!

Comment

Being a student out there I am happy that they got this but I still think that this lab in general is just tax money down the drain, I could see many uses of this money (cancer research, aids research, college aid, ect).

*Edited by the Moderator for political content

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
            Being a student out there I am happy that they got this but I still think that this lab in general is just tax money down the drain, I could see many uses of this money (cancer research, aids research, college aid, ect).

*Edited by the Moderator for political content
            Wow. What a short-sighted perspective. Foundational science like this is what applied research (cancer research, AIDS research) is ultimately built upon. This isn't money down the drain, it's doing the science that will provide the knowledge for other kinds of breakthroughs down the road. Who knows where it will lead?
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I'm not saying it like this I just think its alot of money to spend on an old mine for experiments that nobody really knows what they are for. I taked to one of Herseth Satin's staffers tonight and he couldn't really tell me what kind of experiments they are doing there.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                I'm not saying it like this I just think its alot of money to spend on an old mine for experiments that nobody really knows what they are for. I taked to one of Herseth Satin's staffers tonight and he couldn't really tell me what kind of experiments they are doing there.
                That's because that staffer you spoke to probably didn't get a degree in physics engineering at college.  Believe me, what they're doing there would be very beneficial if (or when) a breakthrough occurs.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/70710034

Underground lab could change the way the world thinks about science

By Terry Woster
                  twoster@midco.net
                  Published: July 10, 2007

LEAD – Discoveries that change the way the world thinks about science will happen at the bottom of the abandoned Homestake mine with Tuesday’s National Science Foundation selection of the Black Hills landmark as the site for a deep underground laboratory, advocates for the former gold mine said.

“We won,” Gov. Mike Rounds told about 300 people who gathered in one of the main buildings of the former gold mine to celebrate a decision that puts Lead, the Black Hills and perhaps all of South Dakota at the center of some of the most cutting-edge physics and engineering research in the world.

“The things that happen at the bottom of that mine will change the fundamental way we think about science,” said Steve Zellmer of Rapid City.

He’s a board member of the South Dakota Science and Technology Authority, the agency that will essentially act as landlord for the new laboratory, renting space to scientists or groups of scientists who want to conduct the types of experiments that can best be done as much as 8,000 feet underground. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

The science lab is huge for this state. It will be a shot in the arm of the economy that will last and last, starting with the construction and following through for decades on uses now planned and some that we cannot imagine at this time. SD Tech stands to gain a great deal with its proximity to Lead and its degrees related to mining including mining engineering. For a while it appeared the demand for mining engineers in the region was going to disappear but the same expertise used in maintaining the gold mine will be needed to maintain the new science facility.

Comment

Not only is this great for Mines, but also for SDSU. The nano-tech research is located in part at SDSU. I am sure I have the name of the department/division/group at SDSU wrong, but my son is very interested in this stuff and it is huge. This is a big benefit to the state. The chance to be able to work in this facility, doing whatever, is going to be a major resume item, according to my son's physics teacher. The information discovered here will be the foundation for the future advancement in many areas.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

SDSU moves to division I and look what happens! I see all of this as a direct consequence of the leadership and vision demonstrated in Brookings and at SDSU. (okay, some sarcasm, perhaps not direct cause and effect but I'm at least going to try to associate these things)
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Your observation has validity, Jackmd.  It's all about attitude.  I recall the days when the DI move was first discussed seriously and many commented that for too long, we have had a tendency to underestimate what we can do around here.  Leaders plotted a course and made it happen.  While there is not a direct link between SDSU's DI move and the underground lab announcement, SDSU's DI move is symbolic of what can be accomplished if we dream a little and then followup on the dreams with planning, leadership and hard work.

I give credit to the Governor's office and the legislature for moving forward with a $20 million commitment.  When the state committed the $20 million without knowing with certainty we'd land the project, I supported that move because it showed we were taking control of our destiny rather than just stumbling along.  

One has to also credit Denny Sanford for pledging $70 million.  

South Dakota just hit a homerun.  Next, we're batting for the refinery project in the SE corner of the state-- that project can also have a huge impact for decades to come...the state will have to be careful about environmental issues etc. but I hope it gets put together.

SDSU can have a big impact in both projects and SDSU grads will have more great job opportunities in the coming years.

Comment

I visited the underground laboratory in the Tower-Sudan mine in the Iron Range. That was quite a trip down, and this one will be even deeper. Sounds pretty interesting.

Comment

Working...
                            X