Has anyone else heard this theory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone else heard this theory?

Over on AGS a poster has said that the UXD's have entered an agreement and will only be a package deal to any potential conferences similar to what NDSU and SDSU have done. I've not heard this anywhere else so what's up guys? Have you heard this story? I don't believe it's true myself, if it is it's the best kept secret in ND and SD. Personally the person who said it is not exactly a reliable source but I'm just checking to make sure. Thanks guys.
    BB

Re: Has anyone else heard this theory?

Haven't heard anything formal, but it would make a lot of sense, especially if a conference is looking for ready-made travel partners.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Nice concept, but I would think that if a conference (maybe one that the XDSU's are members of) approached UND without USD, the Fighting Sue would jump at the opportunity. Just speculation though.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
        Nice concept, but I would think that if a conference (maybe one that the XDSU's are members of) approached UND without USD, the Fighting Sue would jump at the opportunity. Just speculation though.
        or vice versa.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I haven't heard that rumor but it makes some sense.  

For SDSU and NDSU, the alliance has struck gold at least twice:  (you may've heard these before) I'm told from an excellent source that several Gateway schools wanted SDSU but not NDSU out of fear of the strength of NDSU...SDSU successfully pressed for NDSU's admission with SDSU and it worked.  The favor was returned recently when the Summit League awarded the Summit basketball tourneys to Sioux Falls: SDSU could only lobby so much but needed the assistance of a more "objective" voice supporting holding the tourneys in Sioux Falls.  NDSU's President Chapman went to bat and was a big factor in the decision to put the tourneys in Sioux Falls. (Such decisions are ultimately up to the university Presidents.)

Comment

I don't disagree guys, just trying to find out if anyone else had heard this story. I'm not sure about the last post prior to this one in this thread though. I don't buy the wanting SDSU but not NDSU.

Comment

Well, bison, that's the nice thing about rumors! They could be truth or someone else's alternate reality!
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisonbacker
                I don't disagree guys, just trying to find out if anyone else had heard this story.  I'm not sure about the last post prior to this one in this thread though.  I don't buy the wanting SDSU but not NDSU.
                Most Bisonfans prefer to believe stories that revolve around NDSU carrying SDSU along with them. You seem to be one of those arrogant ones that can only buy that theory.

Comment

Pot to kettle pot to kettle. Geez guys get a grip I asked a perfeclty simple question didn't come over here for the ripping to start. Wait until we play and do it in the smack thread.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                    [quote author=Bisonbacker link=1184441697/0#5 date=1184458879]I don't disagree guys, just trying to find out if anyone else had heard this story. I'm not sure about the last post prior to this one in this thread though. I don't buy the wanting SDSU but not NDSU.
                    Most Bisonfans prefer to believe stories that revolve around NDSU carrying SDSU along with them. You seem to be one of those arrogant ones that can only buy that theory.[/quote]
                    I think it's pretty well known that there were a number of Gateway schools that weren't exactly excited about bringing the Bison into the conference. I think it's plausable that a) some in the Gateway said "hey, let's just take SDSU and get to a nice even eight members" and b) that SDSU said "no, you take us, you take NDSU too, nine members is a better number for a football league anyway"

It's also quite believable that NDSU went out of their way to support Sioux Falls' Summit Conference basketball tournament bid.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Over on AGS a poster has said that the UXD's have entered an agreement and will only be a package deal to any potential conferences similar to what NDSU and SDSU have done.  I've not heard this anywhere else so what's up guys?  Have you heard this story?  I don't believe it's true myself, if it is it's the best kept secret in ND and SD.  Personally the person who said it is not exactly a reliable source but I'm just checking to make sure.  Thanks guys.
                      BB
                      It may be more than a rumor. Both USD and UND have been watching the move to D1 the past five years and from time to time they  given negative lip service to the move when in reality, they watched closely all the adjustments that SDSU and NDSU have made.

Both NDSU and SDSU have gained a great deal by working together. At least to me, it would make good common sense for USD and UND to work together as getting a conference may not be such a slam dunk.

Elsewhere, a report on President Chicoine visit to Yankton SD was posted with a link to the Yankton paper. President Chicoine indicated during that visit that he has known Jim Abbott of USD for a long time and that he would offer any assistance in helping USD make the move to D1. (This probably what we passionate SDSU fans do not want to hear, but could be beneficial for other matters down the road.)

I am sure President Chicoine has shared with Abbott some information about how NDSU and SDSU worked together. I am sure there are details where SDSU and NDSU worked together on that were never part of a new story. A number of interesting conversations never make it to the public eye. This might be one of them. Unless we have a telephone tab we really don't know what President Chicoine and President Chapman are talking about and to whom they are talking.

Comment

I don't disagree guys, just trying to find out if anyone else had heard this story.  I'm not sure about the last post prior to this one in this thread though.  I don't buy the wanting SDSU but not NDSU.
                        Bisonbacker...one can't have a better source than the one I had. Think about it: it's a real compliment to NDSU to have schools fearful of including them in the conference. Obviously a majority of the Presidents felt it was the right move to include both NDSU and SDSU and that's all that matters.

Comment

I honestly think that anyone of those scenario's may have taken place. Even though I'm passionate about NDSU please believe me when I say that I don't know that we could have gotten to where we are without you guys as our partner in the move. The collaboration between the two universities has been beneficial for both. Now when the season starts all the niceties will stop and the smack can start

Comment

Bisonbacker: you will thank us for the Bison team bus getting better mileage on its way from Brookings to Fargo in November when you have to leave the heavy Dakota Marker in Brookings.

Back to the topic: I've asked a couple of USD fans who tend to have pretty good information about the Coyotes and they had no information on any alliance between UND and USD.

Comment

Working...
                            X