Economic Development In Brookings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economic Development In Brookings

On the radio at noon, overheard a segment on the news. Sounds like within the year a new Arby's will be popping up along 6th Street. MMMMMM more choices for fast food. Let's get some more fancy dining places in town now.

Re: Economic Development In Brookings

Don't get too excited just yet. A few years back, Brookings managed to screw away a Taco Bell that was supposed to go in on 6th Street by Hillcrest Park. And Applebee's was no sure thing for a long time. Hopefully, it happens, though.

Comment

There was also a job add in the Register looking for managers of a new Jimmy Johns coming to town.  Cottonwood Coffee is also opening a new location at Brickwood Plaza in the old Mad Jacks location.  I have heard they will have more dining options there than their downtown location.  I have also heard that the old Econofoods is going to me a 8 or 9 screen movie theater.

Also I have heard that the people that run Taco Johns also own the francise rights to Taco Bell in Brookings, so I'm not sure if we will ever see one in Brookings.

Comment

Jimmy Johns makes a darn good sub and they do it with attitude. Kind of gimicky but I like it.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I heard the NAPA parts store was going to become a bar named the Lucky Lady. Or maybe that was just a dream.
          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Just some thoughts:

1) The City Council approved re-zoning property along 6th Street (near Brickwood Plaza?) where Arby's potentially may build a store. They WANT to be in Brookings and seem to just be waiting for the right spot.
            2) I thought Daktronics bought the old EconoFoods building and was using it for storage and/or office support.
            3) What's the status of the proposed development on the DoT site east of I-29? I thought that a new movie theater, some restaurants, and big-box stores were supposed go there.........
            4) Applebee's was a long, drawn-out process.......
            5) Where is Jimmy Johns supposed to go?
            6) It'll be good to see the "old" Mad Jacks location filled.......good pre-emptive move by Cottonwood Coffee to expand their operations, especially if a chain was looking into the spot........

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne
              I heard the NAPA parts store was going to become a bar named the Lucky Lady. Or maybe that was just a dream.

I lost a lot of memories in that place!
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Last I heard about that DOT/I-29 project was that some local developers were all in a fuss about not getting a chance to develop the site over an out-ot-town agency. That was months ago though and I have heard nothing new. Seems like alot of the city council attention has gone towards the airport situation. As far as getting more "fancy" establishments, I think that is dependent on getting some Liqour liscense issues cleared up at the state level, because right now I believe Brookings is tapped out population wise in regards to liscense proportions.

Comment

What happened to Mad Jacks?

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                    Just some thoughts:

1) The City Council approved re-zoning property along 6th Street (near Brickwood Plaza?) where Arby's potentially may build a store. They WANT to be in Brookings and seem to just be waiting for the right spot.
                    2) I thought Daktronics bought the old EconoFoods building and was using it for storage and/or office support.
                    3) What's the status of the proposed development on the DoT site east of I-29? I thought that a new movie theater, some restaurants, and big-box stores were supposed go there.........
                    4) Applebee's was a long, drawn-out process.......
                    5) Where is Jimmy Johns supposed to go?
                    6) It'll be good to see the "old" Mad Jacks location filled.......good pre-emptive move by Cottonwood Coffee to expand their operations, especially if a chain was looking into the spot........
                    Daktronics is leasing Econofoods. They may have already moved everything out.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 91rabbit
                      What happened to Mad Jacks?
                      MadJacks moved to a new location on South Main in a new strip mall who's name is escaping me.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                        [quote author=91rabbit link=1172686656/0#8 date=1172693806]What happened to Mad Jacks?
                        MadJacks moved to a new location on South Main in a new strip mall who's name is escaping me.[/quote]

The owners of Cottonwood Coffee on Main Ave. have leased the old Mad Jacks on 17th Avenue and 6th Street and will open a restaurant there in April, complete with beer and (this is great!) NO SMOKING. Good for them. It would be nice to have a beer in Brookings and not emerge smelling like cancer.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Amen Jimmy Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyjackrabbit
                            Don't get too excited just yet.  A few years back, Brookings managed to screw away a Taco Bell that was supposed to go in on 6th Street by Hillcrest Park.  And Applebee's was no sure thing for a long time.  Hopefully, it happens, though.
                            If there is something good that is coming to Brookings, the city will find a way to screw it up some how so we lose those businesses. Don't get me wrong, I love Brookings, but somethings in this down are just wierd how they do things.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'd further my thoughts of the economic development of Brookings with a paper I wrote for a class that got me an A but it would get to descriptive in naming names... The jist of it is the big business leadership has a hand or foot in a lot of the decisions. I.e. Bozied's gas mafia, and Manufacturing companies on the east side competing with Mr. Foster from Rainbow.

Comment

Working...
                              X