Monument to Stupidity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monument to Stupidity

In the 70s Bill Janklow --- a USD alum --- called the Dakotadome a Monument to Stupidity. Look it up. Its about the only time I ever agreed with Bill Janklow.

I guess Mike H has seen lots of domes in his life and thinks the dome looks great. I suppose if you never leave SDs borders it is the biggest thing around. It's good not to leave SD. It keeps you from having vision.

Re: Monument to Stupidity

Jack. That is a moronic statement. Moreover, unless the people were listening to my show today they would have no idea what you are talking about. Would you like to talk about some of the other domes I have been too, or would you rather talk about the comparable improvements that have been made to the Dakotadome as opposed to the improvements that have been made to Coughlin?

The Dakotadome has undergone some improvements that make it look a lot better than it did. Have you seen it? Or did you just decide that this was a good way for you to attack both USD and me in one fell, albiet unclever and uniformed, swoop?

Comment

Who cares about the Dakota Dome - Neither an SDSU football nor SDSU basketball team will ever set foot in that place again!

Comment

One reason the Dome looks so much nicer is the fact that Janklow helped out by giving 5 million of the tobacco settlement money so that USD could get a new roof, yet SDSU is suppose make the move to D1 on its own.  Hardly fair is it.  USD seems to have a special place in the heart of Craig and Mike though.  They never talk about the exits of Kelly Higgins and Jack Doyle and the law suits that cost USD and the Board of Regents money.  So maybe if Janklow had handed SDSU 5 million of the tobacco money, the improvements at Coughlin would have been made.
        I hardly see the connection between harms of smoking and a new roof on the Dakota Dome.
        ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Good morning, jack: Since I am up early let me be the one to piss in your cereal bowl. Not sure who did it yesterday morning, but I am more than happy to take my turn.

This had not really dawned on me before. It must really gawl some SDSU fans that not one kid in this state starts out the season of high school football by declaring: "This is the year we go to Coughlin!". Now, I know that it is probably a minor annoyance for Augie fans, Northern fans, and even SD Tech fans that kids don't set their sites on their facilities either, but given the rivalry between USD and SDSU that used to exist it must really get to folks to hear about "the Dome" on a regular basis.

Let's take a look at this. Where does Coughlin rate as far as football facilities in the state? 3rd? 4th? Lower?

Comment

Mike, a top of the morning to you. Bad night?

I think your true colors are showing.

Comment

Re: facilities.

As far as I am concerned, I hope that no high school football player wakes up hoping to play at Coughlin as a high schooler in search of a championship. As I have previously mentioned, one of the best things about CAS in relation to other NCC schools WAS the lack of extraneous use by high schools. Point: get the BHS Bobcats out of Coughlin!

BTW, the Dakota Dome is and always will be a dump (just as Vermillion is)

Comment

Mike, one more thing ---- I ate bacon and eggs for breakfast. Morons usually eat bacon and eggs.

Comment

SDSUFAN: Be fair. There are a lot of things in SDSU's recent past that we don't talk about on a regular basis either.

jack: Care to talk about Domes, my past travels, or just trash me some more? Just what exactly would my true colors be, oh wise one?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                    SDSUFAN: Be fair. There are a lot of things in SDSU's recent past that we don't talk about on a regular basis either.

jack: Care to talk about Domes, my past travels, or just trash me some more? Just what exactly would my true colors be, oh wise one?
                    I'm not sure you know your true colors, Mike.  Most of us here bleed yellow and blue and you're stepping on toes so expect to be ganged up on (My guess, you like it).

I played in 3 high school state championship games in the dome (we won all 3  ).  I played in college level intramural BB games on the main BB floor at the dome (beaten in the championship game by a team of former USD BB players).  I have watched many games from the stands in the dome (both FB and BB).  Improvements were an absolute must.  That said, a polished turd is still a turd.  They are in the process of polishing another turd as we speak, the Lee Medicine building in Vermillion is getting a multi-million dollar makeover.  That way we can keep our med students in a town with no teaching hospital!!  Great foresight I must say.  Can't think of a better way to spend taxpayers money.

The SD state legislature (made up primarily of backwards thinkers) needs to recognize the importance of their continued support of SDSU as an institution.  Part of SDSU includes the athletic department and teams.  Funding should not be limited because of hard feelings or emotions.  I suspect things will come around.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

You haven't seen it either, eh?

Comment

As far as getting the BHS Bobcats out of Coughlin! It's not going to happen.

You may not be aware that Brookings School District paid for the lights at Coughlin in exchange for the privilege to play at Coughlin.

It's a win-win situation for the high school and SDSU.

GO STATE
                        Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

As far as getting the BHS Bobcats out of Coughlin! It's not going to happen.

You may not be aware that Brookings School District paid for the lights at Coughlin in exchange for the privilege to play at Coughlin.

It's a win-win situation for the high school and SDSU.

How can this be a winning situation for the Jacks (other than having BHS pay for the lights)?? Is it considered a win to play on a field on Saturday that was torn apart in a Friday night mudbowl? Seriously, how many other D1 schools share their GRASS fields with high schools? Ann Arbor Pioneer High School is across the street from Michigan Stadium (the win there is for UofM in that the PHS parking lot is the prime tailgating venue) but the boys don't play in Michigan Stadium. Pay BHS off and send them back to the south side of town...

Comment

BHS playing at Coughlin is a good thing. Look at all the potential recruits from across the state that get a chance to play under the lights at Coughlin and get exposed to SDSU. While not a state championship game - a Friday night game in September at Coughlin is a much better atmosphere than the dome.

Comment

We raised our voices about the lack of improvements at Coughlin, and the working arrangement with BHS may be more wear and tear on the field, but otherwise there would be no lights at all.  So paying off BHS would not be a good idea at this time. If we paid off, where would the money come from? Not me I assure you.

Not it matters a whole lot now, but the D2 championship played in Florence Alabama is played not on the campus of U of North Alabama, but in a municipal staduim on the edge of the UNA campus.  So UNA technically has no football facility and is at the mercy of the City of Florence.  My point is it could be much worse.  NDSU and UND are both playing in facilities that are owned by the city.  So there are more than one town and gown arrangements in existence.  

The only problem that I see with the arrangement is the wear and tear on the natural turf.

Comment

Working...
                              X