PDA

View Full Version : soccer

Mavericks#1
09-04-2004, 06:16 AM
fyi http://www.gocreighton.com/sports/common/news_releases_detail.asp?articleID=3854

CatchEmAll_Guy
09-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Soccer drops to Creighton 2-0. Outshot 20-7.

http://www.gocreighton.com/sports/common/news_releases_detail.asp?articleID=3859

Mavericks#1
09-12-2004, 06:57 PM
http://www.gocreighton.com/sports/common/news_releases_detail.asp?articleID=3878 congrats on your first D1 soccer win. Scroll down.

Mavericks#1
09-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Why is no one celebrating your first D1 soccer victory. I thought that is what you guys live for. Maybe you just hate soccer.

Alumguy
09-13-2004, 08:38 AM
Maverick, the fact that you insinuate we celebrate DI victories is odd. Then, your goofy logic concludes that we don't like soccer. Do you work hard at making stupid statements or does it come easy for you?

SDSUFAN
09-13-2004, 09:00 AM
Maverick, the fact that you insinuate we celebrate DI victories is odd. Then, your goofy logic concludes that we don't like soccer. Do you work hard at making stupid statements or does it come easy for you?

Alumguy:

89 rabbit and I and others have been reading this junk on several boards for several months. Mav no 1 and his brother Big Jake will never give up being stupid and expressing their stupidity. You and I know and others know SDSU is going in the right direction so thats all that matters. ;D

JBNJBQ
09-14-2004, 04:59 AM
Why is no one celebrating your first D1 soccer victory. I thought that is what you guys live for. Maybe you just hate soccer.

We EXPECT to win. Just the first of many more to come! You had better start raising crows because I do not believe there are enough wild ones in Nebraska to satisfy the huge appetites of Fat Jake and yourself.

We love all the teams at SDSU! Win or lose! The two of you would not understand that!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

bigjake
09-14-2004, 06:07 AM
I saw the game on Friday the Jacks lost but missed Sunday's game. Gosh, I figured that if they played enough games they would score a goal. To do that against a d1 team (albeit a crappy one) and win the game at the same time is a nice accomplishment. But as I have said from day one you are going to struggle and thus far mav1 and myself have been right on the money. The real test is five years down the road but I still think I will be right.
The other day I came across a comment from Rabbit 89 on Bisonville where he predicted that the Jacks men's bb team would be in the final 4. I forgot the time frame but whatever the time was is irrelevant. That may be the most idiotic comment I have ever heard on that board. I admire his optimism but let's temper it with a little reality and a little logic. The only way the Jacks are ever going to make the Final 4 or even the Big Dance is to "CHEAT". They never even made the Final 4 in D2 basketball - at least since I have been alive. I hear you are going to get your players from MN and Iowa and around here mostly. I suspect high caliber players would rather play in the Big 10 or 12 versus whatever bottom feeding league you find. To get high caliber players you are going to compete against Ne, Iowa, Mn, etc for players. Comparing Frost to UNO is fun for you but you don't stack up so well against the "big boys" facilities. I listen occasionally to MIke H. on the radio and there are lots of doubters in your move. In fact I suspect there are more doubters than proponents. Talk is cheap and so far you haven't shown us much at all compared to your brethren up north in fargo. If I am wrong I will gladly admit down the road but one win against a weak d1 bottom feeding soccer team doesn't prove much. Good win though.

jackrabbit1979
09-14-2004, 06:16 AM
Big Jake you are a f'in idiot.
What has Fargo shown you, they can beat a non scholarship Valpo team, play a div 1AA provisional team close and then beat Montana Tech. Nice accomplishments so far. Ill be the first to admit their football program is leaps and bounds above ours, i just don't want to hear it from someone who can't hack it in the real world so they have to piggy back on our move. Honestly, I know UNO does not have a fan board, but go hang out on the D2Football board and talk about how you lost to some school in Indiana. We are sick and tired of you negative comments on this board. I honestly feel bad for your family if you have one, and your kids, god forbid they ever try something new, you must never let them hear the end of your pessimistic, negative banter about whatever they are doing. Or are you only that way on internet chat rooms, if so what a wonderful outlook on life. Just put down and make fun of people you don't know, institutions you have no connection to, and moves that don't concern you.
Good luck the rest of the year.

P.S. 89, go ahead and move this thread to smack like every other subject that big jake and maverick post on. They can't have civilized positive discussions on this board. ;)

jackmd
09-14-2004, 07:01 AM
Don't feed the trolls!!

IMO the most recent post by bigjake should be his last. I have been a soft proponent of keeping him around but he hasn't proved hes worth it. Ban him, block him, shut him up (not possible). Let him move over to the UND board with the rest of the petty, jealous, left-behind D2 relics.

I already bid farewell some time ago. I think its time to make it official.

89rabbit
09-14-2004, 07:49 AM
The other day I came across a comment from Rabbit 89 on Bisonville where he predicted that the Jacks men's bb team would be in the final 4. . . . They never even made the Final 4 in D2 basketball - at least since I have been alive.

I challenge you to give us the facts of my alleged prediction. To the best of my recollection I have never predicted a D-I Final Four appearance. I have however said that we will make the "Big Dance" and sooner then many think. I am confident that we can compete in the Big Sky or Mid-Con today and since both Conferences have Auto-Bids it is very possible that we could get into the Big Dance anytime after we are eligible in '08-'09.

As far as the Jacks not making it to the D-II Final Four while you were alive, that helps explain alot. The Jacks were NCAA D-II Runner Ups (that means that we played in the Championship game) in 1985. So you are not even 20 yet.

I must say that I too am growing weary of the constant lies, misrepresentations, and constant attacks. Please consider this a warning. If you want to remain part of the group, please be more careful with your facts and tactful with your assertions. Remember this is a Jackrabbit fan board.

rabbit_tracks
09-14-2004, 12:03 PM
I know soccer is the second newest sport at SDSU, but I never thought I would see the day that it would have a thread in the "Smack" section of the board. By the way, the team has it's first home game of the season on Saturday at 1:00 pm versus Wayne State. For those who do not have a wedding to attend, it may be a good time to see a game at the Fishback Soccer Park before heading out to tailgate. Maybe we could even set up a tailgate at the soccer game!!!!!!!

Go Jacks!

bigjake
09-16-2004, 08:28 AM
Last year JBB had me petitioned to be banned from Bisonville. Whoever makes those decisions looked at my posts and it was unanimous (apparently more than one decide) to let me stay on the site. To me it was an easy decision bc while I may say things that you disagree with and with some inaccuracies occasionally (but with no malice). I never use profanity and I never call names except to JBNJBQ who started that nonsense.
But I am sorry that I misrepresented rabbit 89 - I looked back and you didn't say Final 4 but Big Dance which in my opinion is just about as ridiculous. But we can disagree on that point. But I apologize for mispresenting your claim - I hate when people do that to me.
Yes I was wrong when I said in my lifetime but heck you haven't been in the Final 4 for just about a generation so my point is basically correct - it has been a long time.
Also, I was wrong about the exploratory year - there was no malice in that. One of the first points I ever made on this site was that Ty Graham turned down a scholarship offer from SDSU and came to UNO and I was shot down by so many it wasn't even funny. Heck, he was quoted in OWH and I even asked him after a UNO game once and he said it was true. Now he was in the room and maybe he misinterpreted something as an offer but again there was no malice and I may be right on that, too. Finally, I have stated the money issue several times which you have shot me down on. My point is legit. Even if you get to 20 million - at 5 percent you have 1 million a year to spend on scholarships, travel,etc unless you want to spend the principal of the endowment down which I doubt they do. 1 million goes fast these days.
But if you want to "throw me off" this site that is your perogative - obviously. I would think that if you are so confident in the correctness of your argument that you would realize the weight of the arguments will prove you right over time and that you don't have to ban someone who begs to disagree.

89rabbit
09-16-2004, 08:59 AM
bigjake,

I can understand simple mistakes of fact. The fact that you owned up to your mistakes and corrected your statements is appreciated. Please in the future just try to be more accurate and you will be fine.

That being said where you have the most trouble and what may someday get you kicked off this board is your wild accusations. You have made some hum dingers in the past . Your most recent is what got you a warning more so then your mistakes of fact or your misrepresentation of what I said. Please see below. I do believe that this and other statements have been made with malice. You can argue your points but don't impugn the reputation of persons or institutions without facts. It will not fly here. >:(

The only way the Jacks are ever going to make the Final 4 or even the Big Dance is to "CHEAT".

89rabbit
09-16-2004, 09:14 AM
bigjake,

To your point of final 4 appearances . . . I challenge you to find out how many teams have made the NCAA D-II Men's Basketball Tournament 8 of the last 10 years. I challenge you to see who is third all time in D-II Men's Basketball Tournament Appearances (Hint the team Mascot is a Jackrabbit). SDSU is one of the all time great D-II basketball schools (both Women's and Men's) and it is time for us to move on to bigger and better things. To face new challenges and to step up.

Come along too if you would like (to D-I), or don't it makes no difference to us. If you feel that UNO is best served at the NCAA D-II level that is fine. Our moving to D-I has little effect on UNO. I just don't get the obsession that you have with our program. I wish UNO well in all they do, I hope you could do the same for us.

Go State! ;D

bigjake
09-17-2004, 09:50 AM
The reasons (in order) why I am interested in sdsu's move to D1.
1. I lived thru the UMKC naia to d1 transition and thought it was interesting. Went to many games but really never paid much attn. to their philosophical underpinnings behind wanting to go d1 - just followed the men's bb team who for the most part has plodded thru the last 20 years with little to show for it. When I heard that some of the ncc teams were going I wanted to learn about what the decision entails. It is really interesting to me and I have learned a ton on both bisonville and this site. I am not convinced of anything yet (as far as your future success) but am open to learning more.
2. I wouldn't rule out uno going 1aa in fb especially if they have reclassification eventually where you d2 can play 1aa fb and have 63 scholies and stay d2 in everything else so I am especially interested in your d1aa situation.
3. My in-laws live in Sioux Falls and we occasionally go to games together at usd, sdsu, or augie - whoever has the best game that night. If sdsu gets into big sky then often they will have the best game to attend. I have been to brookings about 10 times in my life for games.
4. Finally, it is just an interesting issue to me. I don't know why but it just is. Heck, why do so many people in Omaha love the Cubs. They have never lived there and have absolutely no affiliation to Chicago but they do. Same thing - it is just something that interests them.
Those are my reasons. The lack of success of UMKC is burned into my psyche and that is why I am skeptical of your future success. (yeah, I know you are the flagship univ. of your state, blah, blah, blah and things are different,etc). We shall see but I am open to learning more and I plan to continue to post once in awhile until I get my "unconditional release".

SDSUFAN
09-17-2004, 10:39 AM
A D2 school can compete in D1 in one mens sport and one women's sport. UNO has hockey at D1, so for them to be D1AA in football and rest D2 will never happen as the NCAA regs do not allow such an arrangement. If UNO wants to go D1AA football, then all the sports must be D1 PERIOD. NO EXCEPTIONS. If you think that UNO will go D1AA, Then you need to start lobbying the Nebraska Board of Regents. Try first with Chuck Hassebrook, the guy who thought UNO a communiting school should not have athletics period. Now if you can get Chuck to come around, then UNO has a chance, but none of those sitting regents want UNO to go D1, so I suspect that is the reason the UNO Chancellor has not said peep about going D1. She knows better than to p@@s in the wind. ;D

bigjake
09-17-2004, 03:13 PM
sdsu fan, You make really good points that I believe are correct and I can't argue at all with your logic. Last week though in the OWH our main columnist (tom shatel) had a tidbit in there about how there is talk that the ncaa will change the rules and let d2 schools compete in d1aa in fb and stay d2 in everything else except for d1 hockey. He then speculated that uno will eventually be in the gateway fb conference. Obviously some rules have to be changed but shatel is a connected guy and he is obviously hearing things. I know it is just his prediction but you never know. I would love that. I hope the regents don't care if we go 1aa in fb - we will not be competing for the kind of players the huskers want and need. Even our fb coach has come out and said he would like to be d1aa and that we could do well.

jacksfaninne
09-17-2004, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't put anything past the NCAA. Heck, I thought the 10-year transition to DI was a hard and fast rule. Unless I'm missing something and some regs are hard and others are soft, I see no reason they couldn't change their minds about allowing DII schools to go DIAA in football.

89rabbit
09-20-2004, 09:15 AM
The NCAA is in a lot of ways a legislative body and so rules can change if enough schools have an interest to change. I see no advantage for the NCAA to allow D-II schools to play I-AA football. It is currently not on docket or in any NCAA committee. The NCAA is trying to establish stronger "boarders" between the different divisions. This looks to be wishful thinking on the part of a sports writer in Omaha (if it is true as reported since I have not read his article).

The current NCAA rules allow a lower division school to field a D-I sports team (one each for Men and Women) with the exception of Football, Men's Basketball, and Women's Basketball. I very much doubt that this will change anytime soon. This story may have gotten started because the UNO coaches are worried about what SDSU is going to do to their recruiting. Just a thought. I have not heard anything about this other then what bigjake is saying on several boards.

Never say never, because if enough schools want something the rules can be changed but it won't be soon and UNO will not be in the Gateway, IMHO.

Go State! ;D

bigjake
09-20-2004, 11:57 AM
I don't know anything other than what I have read and heard about the prospect of reclassification. I don't know enough about computers to be able to put tom shatel's item up on this site. If you want to see it go
omaha.com then archives then sep8 then first down and second guesses with tom shatel and you will see the item. That is not the first time I have heard that - our outgoing AD - bob danenhauer -said something to that effect last year about reclassification and he is often pretty knowledgeable. He was also asked last year if sdsu would get a conference and he predicted yes. He thought it would be mid continent.

SDSUFAN
09-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Lets assume the measure to allow D1AA football for D2 members and allowing the keeping of other programs D2 competition passes this Jan at the NCAA convention. Okay if UNO moves their football up to D1AA, that would help the Great West Conference another member, but what affect would this have on UNO's membership in the NCC? I am almost certain UNO would have to leave the NCC by virture of being at the next level for football. Can you imagine USD wanting to compete with someone that offers 63 scholarships? Nope. All other programs including BB would have to find a new conference. Hmmm, would it be easier to move to MIAA? Probably not, as if they accepted UNO, the MIAA would demand UNO play football in their league and with 63 scholarships? Nope. Dont think so, so what would the other D2 sports at UNO do? Probably would have to play as an independant. So some of these things make this a Pat Behrn Pipe dream.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

How about those 2-2 Mavs. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

bigjake
09-20-2004, 06:36 PM
sdsu fan, You make a really good point. I can't argue with it at all - we are not going to be an independent - it would be a logistical nightmare. There went my hopes for d1aa fb.
I thought we would be 9-2 this year - looks more like 7-4 or even 6-5. The one good thing about mediocrity is there are fewer lines at the lemonade stand. We have great lemonade in omaha. We have a high school pass rush. An avg western washington team had the ball for 44 minutes to our 16 - amazing.

Mavericks#1
09-20-2004, 07:00 PM
SDSU Fan,

You will be joining us in the ranks of teams that are 2-2 after this weekend. No more cupcakes on your schedule until Augie.

jackmd
09-20-2004, 08:05 PM
SDSU Fan,

You will be joining us in the ranks of teams that are 2-2 after this weekend. No more cupcakes on your schedule until Augie.

You may be right, but I'd much rather be 2-2 with losses to Cal-Davis and Southern than WW and whatever that school from Indiana is called. We'll go back to beating DI BC and finishing ahead of some Big 12 schools. Looking forward to trophy-only hockey? Oh yeah, you're second class in that sport too. The best thing you have going for you is this board. Don't lose it.

JBNJBQ
09-21-2004, 05:23 AM
SDSU Fan,

I predict Auggie will beat UNO! What will that make you?

JBNJBQ
09-21-2004, 05:26 AM
How about those 2-2 Mavs. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just think about it! UNO has two loses. This board has two losers= Fat Jake and Maverstink #1 and they are from UNO. What a small world!

Mavericks#1
09-21-2004, 08:06 AM
JBNJBQ,

You are right about it being a small world. The combined score of both teams in your last weeks game was 41. That is the same amount of years since you last won a conference championship in football (1963). Last time I checked the last ten times we played football we won seven. We maybe struggling this year, but I promise you SDSU is glad it doesn't have to make the roadie down to Omaha this year. I also guarantee you we wouldn't get beat by 52 by a former D2 school and get shut out as well. I will stick by my prediction that you will not win a game against a D1AA football team this year. Georgia Southern played Georgia close for most of the game at Georgia. I cringe to think what they will do to you at their place. Hide the women and children for that one. Does the scoreboard have room for three digits on the Georgia Southern side of the scoreboard.
52 is not only how many points that UCD put on you, it is also that average IQ of the people who are entertained by your stupid picture smack. Man you were really right about it being a small world.

89rabbit
09-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Last time I checked SDSU holds a commanding lead in the all time series against UNO. SDSU leads:

Wins-Loses-Ties
21-13-1

I do admire your brave talk, but clearly UNO wouldn't want anything to do with us this year. After all, we drilled the #14 team (at the time) from your Division earlier this year. SDSU 45 - Winona St. 20 (Winona scored a late TD against the second team to make it look a little better). Winona is currently ranked #20, where is UNO ranked? Best of luck to you the rest of the way. Sorry you are not having the kind of season you would like.

SDSU a D-I University! ;D

jack100
09-21-2004, 02:05 PM
Don't be so hard on the boys from omaha, the ncc, and DII. DII must really be competitive this year - even the USD football team is ranked. USD football ranked in the top 25 - wow - miracles can happen. Hopefully UNO can aspire to reach such goals this year.

bigjake
09-21-2004, 03:22 PM
I think it is safe to say that sdsu will not win a d1aa game this year. I put the over/under for basketball at one. Somehow I do think they will get one win somewhere in men's basketball. That is assuming a healthy big guy (sorry I forgot name) who has had some unlucky health problems. But I don't want to go thru what you are going to go thru in basketball for the next decade. I sat thru the Rick jackson era (pre dana altman) at creighton where we were winning about 6 games a year and it was ugly and not very interesting. The marquettes of the world aren't that much fun if you can't compete with them. You shall see. Have a nice day. But if you can compete with them I will give you your dues and admit I am wrong. So far no evidence of that in fb, soccer or volleyball yet.

89rabbit
09-21-2004, 03:43 PM
I think it is safe to say that sdsu will not win a d1aa game this year. I put the over/under for basketball at one. . . .

But if you can compete with them I will give you your dues and admit I am wrong. So far no evidence of that in fb, soccer or volleyball yet.

bigjake,

Don't expect any job offers from Vegas. You would run a Casino into the ground in no time.

By the way, what do you call the Volleyball Team's 4 wins over D-I schools so far? SDSU has beaten: UTEP, Texas Southern, Northwestern St. (La.), and Boston College!

The question you need to ask yourself is "How do I like my crow"? You are going to be eating a lot of it this year. ;)

Go State! ;D

bigjake
09-21-2004, 05:00 PM
My mistake on the volleyball team but really who gives a hoot about volleyball anyway. It is fb and basketball and the rest is just fluff around the edges. I am waiting anxiously for proof in the 2 big sports and I include women in the bb aspect.
By the way the last time I placed a bet thru a bookmaker I took the Mn Vikings and got 3 points against the Steel Curtain. Needless to say I don't bet any longer but if I was a betting person I would be betting AGAINST your success. Ultimately though you could be 9-19 in basketball and you fanatics would spin it as a success anyway. But it is still fun to rant a little bit.

89rabbit
09-21-2004, 06:35 PM
But if you can compete with them I will give you your dues and admit I am wrong. So far no evidence of that in fb, soccer or volleyball yet.

I see . . . sad really. :'( Now vollerball dosen't matter. You are a real stand up guy.

Go State! ;D

JBNJBQ
09-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Has anyone else noticed that Fat Jake/Maverstink is suddenly a Creighton fan? Glad to see you have "moved up" to DI!

Always a follower!

It doesn't take very many loses at UNO to turn this creep! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

jacksfaninne
09-21-2004, 07:55 PM
... And soccer was such a big deal when we opened with a 2-0 loss to UW-Milwaukee. But not a word when Creighton loses 3-0 to the same UW-Milwaukee team on Sunday. Now soccer is just "fluff around the edges." Flip-flop. Flip-flop.

Mavericks#1
09-22-2004, 07:17 AM
and Creighton beat SDSU 2-0 so whats your point.

Rabbitlivinginverm
09-22-2004, 10:55 AM
With the season UNO is having and the way USD is playing I think the 'yotes have a shot this saturday. It'll be a sad day in Omaha if the mavs lose this one. I'll be rooting for your boys bigjake and mav1. But if your guys lose, I'm not sure you should show up for a while.

bigjake
09-22-2004, 01:43 PM
I guess if i were having the troubles you are on the fb field and soccer field I would think 5-7 in vb is pretty good, too. I would wager that the majority of alumni on this board haven't been to a volleyball game since they were students. Usually those things have so few people that it would quicker to introduce the fans instead of the players at the beginning of the game. You can have great equestrian, great vb, great soccer which you won't - but if you do and you stink in fb and bb then it just just doesn't matter. People don't come to those events other than a few friends and relatives. FB and BB are the high visibility sports. The others are nice but not many people pay attention.
By the way I am a uno fan first, creighton second and unl a distant third. I didn't realize I could only pull for one school. The is the advantage of living in a truly wonderful metropolitan area - more choices. Oh well, I guess you people can go over and cheer for dakota state or whatever the heck that school is in madison, sd.

89rabbit
09-22-2004, 02:22 PM
blah, blah, blah. Are you going to give us credit, like you said you would, or are you going to be negative no matter what we do? I think I know the answer. I just want to hear it from you.

Go State! ;D

bigjake
09-22-2004, 05:11 PM
Seriously I am rather impressed that you have beaten four d1 teams in vb. Granted it is a "fluff around the edges" kind of sport but it is impressive nonetheless. Can't argue that point.
By the way over the last year I have said a few nice things about sdsu. You just don't remember
1. you have a great marching band - probably even better or at least as good as Huskers
2. great bb arena
3. great men's bb coach
4. nice fans.
So I haven't been totally negative - yes, 90 percent but I have had some nice things to say about sdsu

89rabbit
09-22-2004, 10:48 PM
See that wasn't so bad. ;)

Go State! ;D

bigjake
09-23-2004, 06:16 PM
jake's prediction southern 45-sdsu 13. Not as close as the score indicates.
By the way I was disappointed nobody congratulated me on becoming a sophomore on the board. Gosh, you people are gushing over sdsufan and 1000 posts. Heck I have over 100 quality posts that have improved the diversity on the board and stimulated discussion.
Where is my congratulations?

Rabbitlivinginverm
09-23-2004, 10:29 PM
What's your prediction for uno v. usd??

I say uno 42 usd 35. It's a sad day in omaha if this one's as close as it sounds like it's gonna be.

Oh yeah, let me be the 1st to "good job" on your accomplishment. Everyday when I wake up I jump on the cpu to see if you've graced us with words of wisdom. ;D

bigjake
09-24-2004, 04:31 AM
uno 42-28 usd. UNo has absolutely no pass rush so we always have to blitz leaving receivers one on one with our secondary. We aren't very good but usd hasn't beaten anyone.
In the omaha world herald huge column by tom shatel again today about uno needing to go d1aa in fb and how the ncc is just a shell of its former self which I agree. He still is saying that there is a lot of talk of reclassification where you can play d1aa in fb and fund 63 scholarships and stay d2 in everything else. Apparently other schools around here are interested in that especially if d2 cuts fb scholarships down to 24. I hope the vote passes to force uno and other big schools like cmsu, nwmo st, psu and some in the ncc to push for change. He said the same thing I have been saying though is that we CAN"T compete in d1 sports like wrestling and bb, etc. We will get killed in those sports if we go d1 just as you are going to get killed.
Just one man's opinion (albeit one highly connected man around here) and he knows that the if this reclassication does come our regents will go for it. I assume that the league stuff will work itself out somehow for us to either stay in the ncc (ala the rmac)and not play d2 fb or else develop a new league with the psu's and nwmo's and other schools like that want to go the dual route.
They usually put tom shatel's column up a day later in archive bc I couldn't find on omaha.com today. I have agreed all along that you are right about d1aa fb but disagree about the other sports.

Alumguy
09-24-2004, 04:52 AM
bigjake, you are dead wrong that uno can't compete. Ask the kids in the program if they would like the challenge to compete at a higher level. I have no doubt that your wrestling, volleyball, softball, and soccer programs could be very competitive right now.

If you are going to base your thoughts on basketball and football, well, that's going to take a little while. SDSU's decision wasn't about 2004-2005, it's about 2014-15.

bisonguy
09-24-2004, 11:18 AM
bigjake,

UNO's wrestling program could easily be in the top half, more than likely the top quarter of DI schools.

The "I-AA while being a DII school" is just a pipedream from the DII schools that are against a reduction in grants. DI (including I-AA) receives BCS monies that would not be allowed to be shared with the DII schools. The GWFC, for example, uses this money for administrative costs. Why would I-AA schools want a bunch of schools that don't have to field 14 sports, don't have to fund 50% of DI grant levels in at least 12 sports, don't have the academic standards for other athletic programs, etc.? There's absolutely no murmur of anything like this in the I-AA circles, it's only a few DII schools dreaming this up.

bigjake
09-26-2004, 03:40 PM
bison guy, I enjoy a lot of your comments - I think you are fair and bring to a lot of good points to the board. I will say though that if enough members get together that changes like the kind that has been discussed and appeared in the Omaha World Herald can happen. I mean using your logic why did the ncaa let schools like und and uno, etc play d1 hockey and stay d2 in every other sport. Obviously schools like the UNiv of Mn and other great hockey schools who play all sports could claim it isn't fair they get to cherry pick like that but that is the way it is set up.
The all time winningest d2 basketball program (based on no. on national championships is Kentucky Wesleyan College. Heck they play d2 in every sport except fb where they play in the naia. How they are able to do it I don't know - but they do. Exceptions and changes can be made if enough schools want it.
Also, our coaches including our wrestling coach have expressed doubts that we could compete with our resources in d1. The fb coach knows he can but not the other sports. Please save the smack that they aren't competitors bc we all know that is not true.

bisonguy
09-26-2004, 04:24 PM
bigjake,

The NCAA already allows a DII or DIII school to have one women's sport and one men's sport participate at the DI level, as long as it is not football or basketball. With both of these sports, there's too much money at stake. A DII or DIII team can also have a DI sport that does not have a championship at their level (such is the case with DII hockey).

This legislation was passed in the early 90's, and was propelled by money. It isn't going to change. It prevented schools like Georgetown from having a DIII athletic program, but getting big money from having a DI BB team in the BB tourney. BTW- ask UND how much money they get from the Frozen Four. The DII/DIII playing up rule says nothing about revenue sharing (and consequently, that's what the DII/DIII schools recieve).

89rabbit
09-27-2004, 07:55 AM
I think it is safe to say that sdsu will not win a d1aa game this year. I put the over/under for basketball at one. . . . But if you can compete with them I will give you your dues and admit I am wrong. So far no evidence of that in fb . . .

To bigjake's credit he has already offered up congradulations. However, he is already back tracking. He now claims on another thread that he "always believed though that sdsu will do fine in d1aa fb" . . . "But I have and will continue to maintain they will struggle like crazy in the d1 sports for a long long time." I guess we will just have to prove you wrong, yet again when basketball season comes. The over/under is one . . . ::) I think we will have you covered.

It is always hard to admit when you wrong, huh? ;)

Go State! ;D

bigjake
09-27-2004, 09:41 AM
rabbit 89, I did think though you would get beat by a lot by southern but I have always maintained that you would compete reasonably well in fb in time bc of it is not that big of a jump in fb as opposed to some of the other sports. I did say though they you won't be able to compete in fb with just 38 scholarships over an entire season. Sure you can pull the occasional upset but over a whole season 38 can't compete with 63. When and if you get to 63 you will do fine. But I have to hand it to you - no matter where someone comes down on this issue that was a great win. I just didn't think you could win with 38 rides versus 63 in the first year. That was impressive.
I have always maintained with my umkc experience that there will be some unbelievable high points (like when umkc beat ksu a couple of years ago in bb) but that the overall experience will bring more pain than exhilaration. I would love to be in your position though and play 1aa fb. I think that would be great but I am not at all envious of going the d1 route in other sports. We shall see how that shakes out. I just don't want to be a bottom feeder.
I am a Creighton fan too (far behind uno though) and to be fair to sdsu if Evansville can play in the Mo Valley I don't why they wouldn't consider ndsu/sdsu. Worst case scenario I can't imagine you being any worse than they are.
Success to me is
1. Get a league like mid cont or big sky
2. Compete in most sports in the middle of the league
If you can do I will shout from the mountaintop that I was wrong. Way too early for that.

jacksfaninne
09-28-2004, 05:59 PM
Tonight on Sports Nightly, Univ. of Nebraska's radio call-in show, Marc Boehm, Executive Associate Athletic Director, was on. Someone (high squeaky voice, could have been one of the uno ladies from this board) called and asked if Boehm was aware of the rumors that uno may be looking at going 1-AA in fb, and if so, would UNL take a position on the move?

Boehm said he had heard the rumors and that UNL would fully support uno, would like to see it happen, and wished them well in making it happen. I think he even said UNL would do whatever it could to help make it happen. The follow up question was, if it happened, would the Huskers be willing to play uno? Boehm said, sure. It would be good for everybody. Why play a Western Illinois when they could play a team from right up the road. He did note that you have to be careful when scheduling 1-AA teams, because the top 1-AA teams aren't much different that a lot of 1-A teams (he cited Furman's OT loss to Pitt on Saturday).

Jim Rose, host of the show, closed the topic by mentioning that South Dakota State had recently gone 1-AA, and that it could be good if other teams in the region went that route, 'cause you could start putting together a conference.

bigjake
09-29-2004, 06:48 AM
It wasn't me who called in - i listen to the other sports talk show in town. Jim Rose and the other guy know nothing about uno sports but the guys know everything (and I mean everything about UNL- jim is the play by play guy) and they obviously think that unl and our regents wouldn't have a hard time with us going d1aa. All you naysayers who think it would be impossible for us to do it may be right but it isn't bc LIncoln would fight it. We would not be competing for the same players.
By the way I saw where your vb team lost to American-National University? I think they are a good naia school but still losing to an naia school? But in fairness you have had some nice victories but you can't lose to an naia team - even a good one. UNO doesn't even do that. Also, I see where your soccer team has begun another scoreless streak. They must like Omaha a lot bc it seems like they are down here about every weekend lately.

jackrabbit1979
09-29-2004, 08:13 AM
Jake,
If UNO scheduled NAU in volleyball they would get beat guaranteed, speaking of that does UNO have a volleyball team i can't recall hearing anything ever about their team. Look at the board and see that after our loss to NAU we just knocked off DRAKE a D1 school from your area. That goes along with wins over Boston College, New Mexico, etc. We have a 5-3 record versus D1 volleyball teams.
Not bad for a provisional year at a podunk university ;) >:(

Mavericks#1
09-29-2004, 02:32 PM
UNO has a rich history in volleyball. It has a national championship in volleyball which is more than SDSU can say. UNO also owns the all time series record between the schools. By the way save all the e-mails about all the cross country national championships SDSU has.

Mavericks #1

89rabbit
09-29-2004, 02:47 PM
That is wonderful for UNO, good luck with that D-II thing. Meanwhile we will be playing and beating teams like UTEP, Drake, and Boston College.

Go State! ;D

bigjake
09-29-2004, 02:49 PM
It is always news when a d1 team gets beat by an naia team - any naia team. Continued good luck with d1 - win a great one in fb (no doubt about it) but then get smoked in soccer and get beat in vb by an naia team. LIke umkc there are some exhilarating moments like against southern and then a lot of frustation against national american and the soccer team

89rabbit
09-29-2004, 03:00 PM
Your right it is. D-II is hardly ever news no matter what they do. ;)

Go State! :)

89rabbit
09-29-2004, 03:23 PM
I think it is safe to say that sdsu will not win a d1aa game this year. I put the over/under for basketball at one. . . . But if you can compete with them I will give you your dues and admit I am wrong. So far no evidence of that in fb, soccer or volleyball yet.

D-I wins in all three. Still waiting for our dues and your admission that you were wrong.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

bigjake, you are becoming a crow connoisseur, and basketball season hasn't even started yet. Maybe someone who is going to the Cal-Poly game could ask J. Lohr (a SDSU Grad) what whine goes best with crow.

Go State! ;D

JBNJBQ
10-01-2004, 05:03 AM
I think Fat Jake is one of those "crow magnum men" I've heard about!?

Crow= Fat Jake should be full of it by now!

Magnum=a large whine container, holding about 2/5 of a gallon of whine.

Man=that is the only part that really doesn't fit, but 2 out of three is close enough! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

JBNJBQ

Mavericks#1
10-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Since D2 is so beneath you now, I thought I would let you know that your volleyball team that just the other day you were bragging how many D1 teams you've beat, got worked at home by a lowly D2 school from the NCC 3 games to Zero. How the hell does that happen?

Mavericks#1

89rabbit
10-01-2004, 10:49 PM
Probably the same way a brand new D-I Volleyball team beats established programs like UTEP, Drake, Boston College and the rest.

Go State! ;D

JBNJBQ
10-02-2004, 08:08 AM
I think Fat Jake is one of those "crow magnum men" I've heard about!?

Crow= Fat Jake should be full of it by now!

Magnum=a large whine container, holding about 2/5 of a gallon of whine.

Man=that is the only part that really doesn't fit, but 2 out of three is close enough! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Isn't it funny how Maverstink answers posts intended for Fat Jake! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

bigjake
10-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Maverick 1, I too was surprised that they lost 0-3 to a d2 team at home. I can assure you that plenty of sdsu fans will spin that somehow into a postive. Builds character or we were looking past these lowly d2 schools or we had too much homework that night. It will be some nonsense. Maybe they can delete that from their web site so the BSC doesn't see that they got blitzed by a d2 school.

89rabbit
10-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Ya, you are right, because the BSC decision is going to come down to women's volleyball. ::) How did your D-II cows do today. I don't really keep us with the lesser divisions.

Go State! ;D

jackmd
10-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Don't feed the vultures. Their opinions are irrelevant in every aspect of life, every aspect.

bigjake
10-03-2004, 09:31 AM
Maverick 1 - In fairness to the Jacks I have been a little surprised with their initial success. If I had to give them a grade thus far it would be
FB - B to B+ - You have shown to be good but you are still 1-2 in d1aa play. Had you beaten Poly I would give you an A. Probably a B+ since you only have 38 rides.
Soccer - F - Not competitive at all. In fact I am absolutely positive UNO will beat you in Brookings as long as we are healthy. A terrible team. I have seen them play twice so I am sure on this one.
VB - That is a hard one bc you have had some nice victories especially against Boston College. But just can't get past the fact that you got beat by 2 lower division teams. One can be called a fluke but not 2 -especially when one is an NAIA team. Will give you a B but am almost inclined to go C+ with those 2 horrible losses.

Mavericks#1
10-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Big Jake,

I agree with you on your overall grade for SDSU football team. I think the NDSU game will give us a better guage of where they are at. I now think it will be a tight game decided by a touchdown or less either way.
The soccer team has done a little better than I thought. Sounds like their goalie is a stud. She has seen more shots than an Iraqie bunker. I think the UNO and SDSU soccer game will be close because it is in brookings and beacuse of SDSU's goalie. I predict a one goal game either way.
The volleyball team has seen some good wins and some embarrsing loses. I give them a C+.
I now think that their mens basketball team will struggle more then we thought. They have lost some key players (moeller and jones) and had an average recruiting class. I know the SDSU spin doctors will try and convince us otherwise. These guys could spin Kerry and Bushes campaigns better than the advisors they have now. But that is the jackrabbitt fans we have come to know. I do have to give their football team some props they are doing better than I thought.

Mavericks #1

JBNJBQ
10-04-2004, 05:07 AM
Note to JBNJBQ - Go back and check your thread where you said "Jacks are better then (sic) the Bison" or something close to that. Hit edit and correct your choice of words - reflects badly on your fine institution.

Big Jake:

I have obviously overstepped the boundry again for
decency and moderation in my last post! For that
I appologize! Let me try to correct your misguided and
obvious error in a more gentlemanly way. Try this.
Take a look at who posted the thread (It was not JBNJBQ)!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

(don't forget to read verticle)

bigjake
10-04-2004, 05:44 AM
jbnjbq, For once you truly do deserve an apology for some undue smack I gave you. Sorry.

89rabbit
10-04-2004, 07:06 AM
Big Jake:

I have obviously overstepped the boundry again for
decency and moderation in my last post! For that
I appologize! Let me try to correct your misguided and
obvious error in a more gentlemanly way. Try this.
Take a look at who posted the thread (It was not JBNJBQ)!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

(don't forget to read verticle)

LOL, very nice! ;D

Mavericks#1
10-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Since D2 is so beneath you now, I thought I would let you know that your volleyball team that just the other day you were bragging how many D1 teams you've beat, got worked at home by a lowly D2 school from the NCC 3 games to Zero. How the hell does that happen?

Mavericks#1
Just wanted to let you know that the same lowly d2 team that whacked you at home 3-0 came to UNO and lost three games to one. But I know you spinmasters will now tell me how many D1 schools you have beat instead of explaining how you got swept at home by a d2 school

Mavericks #1

DanceswithRabbits
10-22-2004, 10:32 PM
We don't need to spin anything.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Thursdayarticle3.shtml

SDSU ranks 108 out of 316 schools in the Rich Kern Percentage Index, which mimics the Ratings Percentage Index that the NCAA uses to determine postseason teams. That rating places the Jackrabbits higher than such established Division I schools as Iowa, Iowa State and Indiana.

"Most of my friends can't believe we're that high," he said. "It's important for us as we schedule Big Ten teams and Big 12 teams. They want to know our RPI so it doesn't hurt them."

Minnesota is No. 1 in the RKPI ratings. SDSU is second among schools reclassifying to Division I - Northern Colorado is 140, North Dakota State is 218 and California-Davis is 256. Only Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne (106) is rated higher.

The only UNO in the RKPI is University of New Orleans. Go play on a D-II board.