Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Cloud State Chooses Male Homecoming Queen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Cloud State Chooses Male Homecoming Queen?

What do you all think of this? I could not find the story link, just references to the event. : : : : :

Re: St. Cloud State Chooses Male Homecoming Queen?

Here is the link from the St Cloud Times. Got to admit this is weird.

http://miva.sctimes.com/miva/cgi-bin...hive.mv+3+6+17

Times photo by Jess Wittrock, jwittrock@stcloudtimes.com
    Friends of Fue Khang crowd around him after he was crowned homecoming queen Thursday at St. Cloud State University.

23 October, 2004
    SCSU elects 1st male homecoming queen
    By Dave Aeikens
    daeikens@stcloudtimes.com
    PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION

St. Cloud State University students Thursday elected a man as homecoming queen.
    Fue Khang, a student from Minneapolis who serves on the student government, will represent the university as homecoming royalty.

It is the first time since 1940, when homecoming royalty were first selected, that a man has been crowned queen, said Marsha Shoemaker, a university spokeswoman.

To select homecoming royalty, student organizations can nominate and campaign for candidates. This year, 58 candidates were on the ballot, Shoemaker said.

About 750 of the university's 15,500 students voted, she said. Candidates are judged equally on how they do in interviews with university staff and in the student vote. Candidates also receive points for participating in games.

The judging formula that combines points from the interviews, vote and games is designed to make sure a candidate is serious and will represent the school well, said Jessica Ostman, director of university programming.

Ostman said it is uncommon for student groups to nominate a man.

Khang was the nominee from the student senate. His nomination was sincere, student government President Hal Kimball said.

Kimball said the student government does not support gender stereotypes.

"We don't like putting people in a box," Kimball said. "We don't discriminate. It's a beautiful world."

Khang's coronation Thursday night at the Kimberly Ritsche Auditorium shocked at least one candidate's mother.

"It was such a disappointment," said Kim Ferber of St. Cloud, whose daughter Annie was a queen candidate. "I don't even want her going to the school if this is how it's going to be."

Lamont Townsend was elected king; Absera Abraham, princess; and Zeru Wontamo, prince. The homecoming court was scheduled to be at an alumni dinner Friday and appear at today's football game.

Ostman said her office and the university have not received any complaints. She said Khang's selection was well-received at the coronation and a reception that followed.

"I know there was a lot of excitement," Ostman said.

Khang did not return a message left for him at the student government office.

Comment

SDSUFAN:

Thanks for finding the story. I didn't have time this morning to go looking for it. There is a lesson for all of us here:

That's what you get when less than 5% of the eligible voters, actually vote. What an embarassment for the school! There is no doubt he is the queen!

The NCC has certainly changed since we left!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Precisely, student apathy. I am generally politically correct and dont like sterotypes, but wow this has gone too far. Why not have a Honored Person reign over homecoming with out reference to king or queen. Just a thought. ;D.

It does make me think of the one chapter in College On the Hill where in 1940, there were four candidates for student body president. There was John Bibby who was a great legislator and owned a dairy in Brookings but passed away about a year ago, Orville Bentley who was Dean of Agriculture and recently passed away, and John Billington who I met at the Foundation Luncheon last month. The fouth candidate was a guy name Bjork who was run by the Collegian his face was never shown only the back of his head. This Bjork guy took away enough votes from Bibby and Bentley to give the election to Billington. The other candidates demanded that the followers of Bjork produce their candidate which they never did. Its was a very comical election that year, but the point is even when there was full participate as there was in 1940, strange things can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

It is the first time since 1940, when homecoming royalty were first selected, that a man has been crowned queen, said Marsha Shoemaker, a university spokeswoman.
          It won't be the last I would bet! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

To select homecoming royalty, student organizations can nominate and campaign for candidates. This year, 58 candidates were on the ballot, Shoemaker said.

I bet you won't have 58 next year! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

About 750 of the university's 15,500 students voted, she said.

Obviously it means an awful lot to most of the students? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Candidates are judged equally on how they do in interviews with university staff and in the student vote. Candidates also receive points for participating in games.

What kind of games? That alone sounds pretty kinky! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The judging formula that combines points from the interviews, vote and games is designed to make sure a candidate is serious and will represent the school well, said Jessica Ostman, director of university programming.

I am sure the man was very serious! All men from Minnesota dream of being homecoming queen, don't they? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ostman said it is uncommon for student groups to nominate a man.

Apparently not in Minnesota! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Khang was the nominee from the student senate. His nomination was sincere, student government President Hal Kimball said.

He is not only serious, he is sincere too? No wonder he got elected! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Kimball said the student government does not support gender stereotypes.

Why is the person called a queen then? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

"We don't like putting people in a box," Kimball said.
          Do you cremate all of your dead, then? That sure saves space! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

"We don't discriminate.

Will he be playing on the women's basketball team this year? Perhaps we should do away with women's sports all together. Will he be allowed to use the women's restrooms. Are you going to open up the showers to any gender? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

"It's a beautiful world."

It is! But you have an ugly Homecoming queen! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Khang's coronation Thursday night at the Kimberly Ritsche Auditorium shocked at least one candidate's mother.

I think you have under estimated the number! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

"It was such a disappointment," said Kim Ferber of St. Cloud, whose daughter Annie was a queen candidate. "I don't even want her going to the school if this is how it's going to be."
          Don't take it so hard! Boys will be, uh, uh,....Girls! (At least in Minnesota) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lamont Townsend was elected king; Absera Abraham, princess; and Zeru Wontamo, prince. The homecoming court was scheduled to be at an alumni dinner Friday and appear at today's football game.

I bet they will be the only ones there! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ostman said her office and the university have not received any complaints. She said Khang's selection was well-received at the coronation and a reception that followed.

Yeh! I bet! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

"I know there was a lot of excitement," Ostman said.
          Don't mistake uncomfortableness with excitement! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Khang did not return a message left for him at the student government office.

He was fixing his nails! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Working...
          X