goyotes
10-19-2004, 01:00 PM
Test

JackJD
10-19-2004, 09:17 PM
You failed the test.

goyotes
10-20-2004, 02:05 PM
83 views of the message in one day. The rivalry lives on. Thank you for participating in the test.

JACKGUYII
10-20-2004, 02:14 PM
How many members on the Coyote Board?

Alumguy
10-20-2004, 02:16 PM
gocoyotes ... it doesn't count as you went back to the thread 74 times to try and remember what you wrote.

goyotes
10-20-2004, 02:49 PM
Now up to 104, of which 4 were my own. Keep up the good work.

Dakota
10-20-2004, 04:38 PM
Dude, most click are just out of curiosity and to see responses. They have nothing to do with rivalry or USD just curiosity.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
10-21-2004, 12:45 PM
Having been off the board for a couple months (job change) I was surprised to see that USD was still open-Thats why I clicked on. I guess it is... don't care. They are D2 arent they??

DanceswithRabbits
10-21-2004, 02:06 PM
I clicked on because I know we are playing San Diego State, I thought we might be playing the University of San Diego as well. They are both Div. I schools like us.

Rabbit_FB_Alum
10-24-2004, 10:53 AM
I guess I never knew there was a rivalry. When there is a rivalry aren't the games usually really close and the two teams usually take turns winning? In the 5 years I played, we only lost to the Yotes 1 time. Not really a good rivalry. Anyway, they are now just another team in a weakened confrence in a dying league.

jackmd
10-25-2004, 12:56 PM
Anyway, they are now just another team in a weakened confrence in a dying league.

Please add with the ugliest team logo.

Jacks99
10-25-2004, 02:07 PM
Spent Saturday with my cousin who is pursuing his law degree at USD, also graduated with 4-year there as well.

Both him and his father (also USD alum) were impressed with State's sucess and their performance against Montana State.

The most interesting part of it was hearing that USD fans spend more time checking the ESPN ticker for State scores than caring about their own. :o

mrsports
11-27-2004, 08:37 AM
They just enjoy seeing SDSU getting their butts kicked.
Some things never change. The Wabbits were mediocre in the NCC and it looks like they are continuing that tradition now that they've gone Division I. The women will probably have a decent record in basketball as I notice they are playing quite a few NAIA schools. Has anyone heard when Notre Dame or UConn might be making a trip to Brookings?

OK_Jackrabbit
11-27-2004, 09:02 AM
Mr. Sports, are you sure your name isn't Mr. Stupid? From yesterday:

Women's Basketball

SDSU 57
Kentucky 55

I'm pretty sure the University of Kentucky Wildcats aren't an NAIA team.

Speaking of NAIA, I see the USD women have Dakota Wesleyan and Mount Mercy coming up. SDSU plays Oregon State in one hour. If you want to check the score, tune in to ESPN. We're SD State on the ticker. What acronym does ESPN use for the Coyotes? Here's a hint: You can watch for the USD score, and you'll never see it on ESPN. Ever.

Has anybody heard when perennial powerhouse Mount Marty will be making the trip to Vermillion? Oh, wait, that's on December 19. Good luck with that.

jacksfaninne
11-27-2004, 09:18 AM
Mrsports has made three posts. He only needed one to prove he's a fool.

DanceswithRabbits
11-27-2004, 11:00 AM
They just enjoy seeing SDSU getting their butts kicked.
Some things never change. The Wabbits were mediocre in the NCC and it looks like they are continuing that tradition now that they've gone Division I. The women will probably have a decent record in basketball as I notice they are playing quite a few NAIA schools. Has anyone heard when Notre Dame or UConn might be making a trip to Brookings?

Mrs. Ports,

How many SEC teams does USD have on their schedule this year? We beat one yesterday, Kentucky. How many Pac 10 teams do you have on your schedule? We are playing one today Oregon St.

The sports headlines from the Argus today went something like this.

SDSU scores historic win over Kentuky

USD men capture overtime victory (over Colorado School of Mines).

Enough said, go find a D-II board to play on.

By the way, not sure when Notre Dame or UConn are coming to Brookings, but the USC Trojans are contracted to come to Frost Arena. Give me any "Big Time" school that is coming to Vermtown.

P.S. SDSU is playing Notre Dame in Baseball this spring. Who is on your baseball schedule? Opps, Sorry Mrs. Ports, I forgot you don't have a baseball team anymore.

DanceswithRabbits
11-27-2004, 02:02 PM
Mrs. Ports,

I almost forgot, Southern University (you know the team that SDSU beat earlier this year) is playing on National TV (NBC) right now. Check it out. I wonder if Peru St. has ever even been on NE Public TV?

Texas_Jacks_Fan
11-29-2004, 12:38 PM
Funny that a usd fan would bring up scheduling cupcake schools.... Did you see who the yotes played in football this year?? ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

The Alabama Crimson tide are also coming to Frost next year!!

jackmd
11-29-2004, 12:51 PM
Don't let Mrs. Ports or any others like her get to you. How would you feel if one of your hardworking, respectable, enthusiastic, optimistic, etc.. co-workers received a promotion, bonus, raise, elevation in quality of life, etc.. because of their merits?

Oh yeah, beacause you are all of the things I just used to describe your co-worker you would be happy for them. Soon the same rewards will come your way.

However, Mrs. Ports is a USD student, alumni, fan, sympathizer (like Mike_H) so they feel jealous, angry, upset, disappointed, etc.. Take your pick. They know given their current situation that the future holds nothing deserving of aspirations, in turn, they have none. Instead they resort to outright insults and projections of failure or more subtle undertones (as heard on the Craig and Mike show) expressing dislike for their more successful and aspiring associate.

When they need us (they will come knocking), we will be there, but for now its best just to ignore them. I for one prefer to minimize the annoyances of life.

Mike_H
11-29-2004, 01:00 PM
jackmd: What the hell are you talking about? You don't listen to our show, and I know that in your business, you would never rely on a third word opinion, right?

jackmd
11-29-2004, 01:24 PM
jackmd: What the hell are you talking about? You don't listen to our show, and I know that in your business, you would never rely on a third word opinion, right?

This is my current opinion, opinions can change. A longer explanation:

I did catch your show on Wednesday while returning for the holiday. Third time I have heard it and each time I hear hints that suggest an underlying disapproval regarding SDSU and the move to DI. I suspect I am more sensitive to this undertone than a completely objective listener so I have had conversations with those who consider themselves supporters of the DI move and those who are oppossed. The majority have tended to agree with my opinion.

Craig and yourself do not support SDSU in its move to DI, therefore, your show is biased against SDSU. Doesn't matter how many SDSU coaches, administrators, fans, you have on the air. When the opportunity arises to "stick it to" SDSU, you guys jump at it.

This, of course, is only my opinion. Perhaps I have listened on days when there are more opporunities to be anti-SDSU. Your discussions about amateur baseball, high school sports (strong SE South Dakota slant), Sioux Falls "pro" teams and fantasy sports are excellent. As for DI athletics, I suspect you'll get better with time.

Finally, don't take my discourse too seriously. This is under the smack thread and intended as just that. USD has little to concern itself regarding its standing as an excellent doctoral granting, public, liberal arts university. Its probably the best one of those in the Dakotas. As for its athletic programs, time will tell.

89rabbit
11-29-2004, 01:28 PM
I listened on Wed. also. Mike, SDSU played Presentation College last season, just so you know.

JACKGUYII
11-29-2004, 01:44 PM
JackMD- I agree with your thoughts about ignoring some of these drive by posters who are simply trying to get a reaction. Not sure how that relates to the content on the Craig and Mike show. I have become an internet listener to the show especially on Tuesdays and while I realize the Jack Report is a paid advertisement I suspect it has encouraged more discussion about the Jacks on the show. I wished the show would discuss a specific topic (SDSU's move to DI) and then encourage callers to call in and give their opinions. I'm not sure what percentage of the Craig and Mike listening audience actually calls in. They act like they know everyone who calls and so maybe the number of first time callers is limited. I guess I don't have a big problem with the show other than there are too many guests which for the hosts is much easier to carry the show.

89rabbit
11-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Earlier this fall after saying goodbye to my father, I took some time to visit many of his old haunts. In an attempt to help me move forward. He grew up on a farm near Tabor. He also spent a great deal of time in Yankton. While making this pilgrimage I listened to Craig and Mike. It was just after the Red Sox won the World Series. Mark Ovenden was on and he also had just lost his father. But I digress.

Point of my story is that while driving and listening to Craig and Mike it hit me. KWSN's signal doesn't reach Brookings. However, it comes in crystal clear in Tabor, Yankton and Vermillion. That being said it is only logical to assume that many of their listeners/callers would have a pro-USD or Anti-SDSU bias.

One might take the next step and say that Craig and Mike are giving the people what they want. Be it consciously or not. If they are no shame in that. After all they are in a business that is driven by ratings and advertising dollars.

As time marches on, I believe that the numbers of SDSU fans in Craig and Mike's listening area will increase and perhaps the listeners and callers will become more SDSU friendly. Perhaps this change in support will be reflected by our hosts as well. After all we are South Dakota's only D-I University, and we serve the entire state. ;) ;D

Go State! ;D

jackmd
11-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Let me quickly add this, I don't believe Craig and Mike have any obligation to support, oppose, or be ambivalent about the move as long as they allow for fair and proper discussion regarding SDSU. In fact, they can stand in blatant opposition if they are clear about their opinions. Time and time again, Mike_H denies feeling one way or another and yet I hear clear evidence to the contrary (al biet on rare occasions). Maybe I'm dead wrong here, if so, just tell me.

Mike_H
11-29-2004, 03:10 PM
jackmd: I don't recall even talking about or refering to SDSU on Wednesday. Are you sure it was not some of the OTHER voices in your head?

89rabbit
11-29-2004, 03:19 PM
You are joking right? You had Chris Solari on the show and talked about the Butler and Manhattan trip. You also took a shot at SDSU for scheduling Presentaion College while you two were talking about MSU-Mankato vs "Tiny" Crossroads College.

Mike_H
11-29-2004, 03:23 PM
jackguy: We had that discussion a lot a couple of years ago, when the move was still being discussed. We don't talk about it anymore because the move has been made. As for knowing our callers, while we do get some that call in on a regular basis, today we took about 10 calls and I knew who three of them were. We may sound like we know them, but that is our way of trying to make them feel comfortable, and also covering ourselves, because we may have had them call before, or we may have met them sometime.

One other thing. Our show is "guest driven" by design. Saying we have too many guests is like watching a drama and then asking "why are those people so serious?". As for being "much easier to carry", you may be right, or not. I do know it is more informative to get the people that are actually involved in sports on the air rather than have us talk about it for 10 hours a week.

JACKGUYII
11-29-2004, 03:48 PM
If the intent of the Craig and Mike show is to load the show with as many guests as possible than you are realizing your goals. I have lived in many large metro areas listening to the local sports radio stations and typically they balance interviews with a format of open calls. Case in Point on todays show: I'm not sure the fact the Canaries are testing a new hotdog and want to advertise this on your show is news warranting on the air time? Why don't they just buy add space? I realize you have to balance a lot in 2 hours of time and in most cases many interviews are just someone marketing their product.

OK_Jackrabbit
11-29-2004, 05:04 PM
This doesn't seem to be the direction this thread is going, but here I go. I have listened to the Jackrabbit Report on the Web a couple of times. I thought it was pretty good. Whether or not Mike_H loves or hates SDSU, I thought that on the Jackrabbit Report he was professional and asked good questions. It was fun to hear the coaches talk about their teams for more than just a couple of minutes as they do before games.

Mike_H
11-29-2004, 07:25 PM
If the intent of the Craig and Mike show is to load the show with as many guests as possible than you are realizing your goals. I have lived in many large metro areas listening to the local sports radio stations and typically they balance interviews with a format of open calls. Case in Point on todays show: I'm not sure the fact the Canaries are testing a new hotdog and want to advertise this on your show is news warranting on the air time? Why don't they just buy add space? I realize you have to balance a lot in 2 hours of time and in most cases many interviews are just someone marketing their product.

That is a good point. I will keep that in mind the next time I am going to have Matt Einspahr on to talk about the Stan Marshall tourney or the SDSU equipment manager on to talk about the surplus auction.

SDSUFAN
11-29-2004, 08:38 PM
That is a good point. I will keep that in mind the next time I am going to have Matt Einspahr on to talk about the Stan Marshall tourney or the SDSU equipment manager on to talk about the surplus auction.

Mike:
Very good sarcasm, but you do make a point. I think 89rabbit is right on in making a pretty good market analysis of the signal from KWSN which is all they have to offer other than the internet streaming. I can see now why Craig and Mike have from time to time have asked internet listerners to send emails letting KWSN know that you are listening. Maybe the thing for SDSU fans to do in that email is to indicate that you appreciate the Rabbit Report and other free publicity that KWSN does offer. We should not always expect that SDSU-USD coverage to be precisely balanced. That just my thoughts. ;D

sports_buff
11-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Mrs. Ports,

I almost forgot, Southern University (you know the team that SDSU beat earlier this year) is playing on National TV (NBC) right now. Check it out. I wonder if Peru St. has ever even been on NE Public TV?
Ya, We all saw Southern get beat on TV, they were only on TV because of their band. Peru St. probably has never been on TV, but UND was on national TV just last year and might be again this year. However, they won't be on there because of their band.
I just got into this forum and I heard everyone blowing about what tough teams the Jacks are playing so I had to look at their schedule of home men's basketball games because I thought I might want to attend some of them. I was very disappointed to find them playing teams like: Mayville St., Wayne St., Buena Vista, Bellevue, Morningside, and Upper Iowa. SDSU is playing an easier schedule than they ever have. Don't brag about your schedule and criticize USD's when this is what your home schedule looks like. I guess they have gotten beat by some good teams on the road, but anyone can get beat to a good team, thats nothing to brag about.
The Kentucky women was a nice win but they were picked to get 11th in the conference. Kentucky's women would have placed about 4th or 5th in the NCC last year.

sports_buff
11-30-2004, 11:58 AM
Don't let Mrs. Ports or any others like her get to you. How would you feel if one of your hardworking, respectable, enthusiastic, optimistic, etc.. co-workers received a promotion, bonus, raise, elevation in quality of life, etc.. because of their merits?

Oh yeah, beacause you are all of the things I just used to describe your co-worker you would be happy for them. Soon the same rewards will come your way.

However, Mrs. Ports is a USD student, alumni, fan, sympathizer (like Mike_H) so they feel jealous, angry, upset, disappointed, etc.. Take your pick. They know given their current situation that the future holds nothing deserving of aspirations, in turn, they have none. Instead they resort to outright insults and projections of failure or more subtle undertones (as heard on the Craig and Mike show) expressing dislike for their more successful and aspiring associate.

When they need us (they will come knocking), we will be there, but for now its best just to ignore them. I for one prefer to minimize the annoyances of life.

JackMD, What do you mean by "When they come knocking, we will be there." Do you mean the way you came knocking to USD and they took you in. Without USD you are just Jack, just plain ole Jack with a biology degree. There would be no MD behind your name Jack. When it came time for you to really get educated you came crawling down to USD for them to do it for you. ;)

89rabbit
11-30-2004, 12:10 PM
Ya, We all saw Southern get beat on TV, they were only on TV because of their band. Peru St. probably has never been on TV, but UND was on national TV just last year and might be again this year. However, they won't be on there because of their band.
I just got into this forum and I heard everyone blowing about what tough teams the Jacks are playing so I had to look at their schedule of home men's basketball games because I thought I might want to attend some of them. I was very disappointed to find them playing teams like: Mayville St., Wayne St., Buena Vista, Bellevue, Morningside, and Upper Iowa. SDSU is playing an easier schedule than they ever have. Don't brag about your schedule and criticize USD's when this is what your home schedule looks like. I guess they have gotten beat by some good teams on the road, but anyone can get beat to a good team, thats nothing to brag about.
The Kentucky women was a nice win but they were picked to get 11th in the conference. Kentucky's women would have placed about 4th or 5th in the NCC last year.

Sportsbuff,

I can see you have found your place on this board. Lots of smack and no facts to back any of it up. Southern finished the Season 8-3 and ranked in the top 25 of I-AA. One of the nice things about I-AA football is you can get on National and Reginal TV without it being the Championship game, heck it dosen't even have to be a playoff game. I watched NDSU play UNC in Kansas City on Fox Sports Net.

Next this year's home schedule isn't the best, but it is our transition year. Next season looks a whole lot better.

Next year's ('05-'06) D-I home schedule looks like this so far:

UMKC
Tennesee St.
Denver
Butler
Manhattan
Southeast Missouri St.
Wisconsin-Milwaukee

D-I away games already set:

Nebraska
Montana St.
San Diego St.
Central Florida
Marquette

So I guess we will see you in Frost in '05-06'. ;) As for this year being easy . . . Name me one other team in SD that is playing even one NCAA Tournament qualifying team let alone multiple qualifiers like the Jacks are. ::)

Finally your comment about Kentucky Women's basketball finishing 4th or 5th in the NCC. All I can say is hahahahahahahahahahahahahah. Good one!

sports_buff
11-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Sportsbuff,

I can see you have found your place on this board. Lots of smack and no facts to back any of it up. Southern finished the Season 8-3 and ranked in the top 25 of I-AA. One of the nice things about I-AA football is you can get on National and Reginal TV without it being the Championship game, heck it dosen't even have to be a playoff game. I watched NDSU play UNC in Kansas City on Fox Sports Net.

Next this year's home schedule isn't the best, but it is our transition year. Next season looks a whole lot better.

UMKC
Tennesee St.
Denver
Butler
Manhattan
Southeast Missouri St.
Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Nebraska
Montana St.
San Diego St.
Central Florida
Marquette

Finally your comment about Kentucky Women's basketball finishing 4th or 5th in the NCC. All I can say is hahahahahahahahahahahahahah. Good one!

Rabbit, as far as your home games next year go I'll have to take your word for it that a lot of those are D-I teams. Nobody has heard of most of those teams.
As if anyone is going to watch a I-AA regular season football game. I love football and I have never even watched a I-AA national title game.
KY women would have gotten 5th last year, behind the two SD schools and the two ND schools.

89rabbit
11-30-2004, 12:47 PM
Rabbit, as far as your home games next year go I'll have to take your word for it that a lot of those are D-I teams. Nobody has heard of most of those teams.
As if anyone is going to watch a I-AA regular season football game. I love football and I have never even watched a I-AA national title game.
KY women would have gotten 5th last year, behind the two SD schools and the two ND schools.

Never heard of Butler, Manhattan, Wisconsin-Milwaukee. ::) Haven't you ever filled out a NCAA Tournament bracket for an office poll or something? You aren't much of a sports buff then are you. :-[ You do know where Missouri, Tennessee and Denver are right? I'll bet if you asked most people in those three places where Peru St., Augustana, and/or Dana was you would get a blank stare. I-AA football is on TV every week, someone is watching otherwise the networks wouldn't show the games. Sorry to hear that you have missed so much. Can't afford cabel huh? :'( Bummer. And as far as your Kentucky comment goes I again say hahahahahahahahahahah. Good one.

Go State! ;D

jackmd
11-30-2004, 12:54 PM
sports_duff is exactly the kind of trash that gives USD its bad reputation. If he used a little more profanity I might think he was a Mueller. Not one intelligent comment because he can't get past his feelings of inadequacy, jealousy and outright rage. I would expound but things might get too personal.

Each of us shoul be thankful we're not like him. If he wasn't casting insults towards us he would be bullying some kid on the corner trying to score his lunch money.

As for "crawling" to USDSM; I can't discredit them with regards to my success, but more telling, I will give full credit to my experience and education at SDSU and hence my full support, both monetary and moral, to SDSU.

Just for clarity, my degrees include a B.S. in Chemistry and Microbiology from SDSU. Medicine is a 2nd career for me.

sports_buff
11-30-2004, 01:04 PM
Never heard of Butler, Manhattan, Wisconsin-Milwaukee. ::) Haven't you ever filled out a NCAA Tournament bracket for an office poll or something? You aren't much of a sports buff then are you. :-[ You do know where Missouri, Tennessee and Denver are right? I'll bet if you asked most people in those three places where Peru St., Augustana, and/or Dana was you would get a blank stare. I-AA football is on TV every week, someone is watching otherwise the networks wouldn't show the games. Sorry to hear that you have missed so much. Can't afford cabel huh? :'( Bummer. And as far as your Kentucky comment goes I again say hahahahahahahahahahah. Good one.

Go State! ;D

I wasn't really referring to Manhattan and Butler, my comment had more to do with teams like: UMKC, Tenn. St., and Southeast Miss. St. I certainly know where Denver is but few people know Denver is a college, much less a D-I college. I also know where Tennessee is but I have no idea where Tenn. St. is and either would you if the Jacks didn't have them on their schedule next year.
You don't need to be sorry for me missing so much, I do have cable and I choose to watch games with teams that I have heard of. While you have been spending your time watching teams like Southern and Tenn. St. play I have been watching games like Miami v. Florida St and Oklahoma v. Texas. I guess I should be sorry that you have missed so much.
Maybe I would get a blank stare from people in those places, when asked about Augie and Dana, however I don't live in those places. I live in this place where people have to ask "Who the hell is that Georgia Southern team that just beat SDSU 63-7?"

89rabbit
11-30-2004, 01:14 PM
I get your point. Just think if people don't know who D-I Tennessee State is they will have no idea who D-II University of South Dakota is. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

NCAA D-I basetball tournament, can't get in it if you aren't D-I. Best of luck to USD in their pursuit of D-II glory.

Go State! ;D

89rabbit
11-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Next three Men's Basketball Games:

SDSU:

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
Southeast Missouri State
Marquette

USD:

Southwest Minnesota St.
Minnesota St. Moorhead
Dana

Any questions?

Go State! ;D

sports_buff
11-30-2004, 01:33 PM
Next three Men's Basketball Games:

SDSU:

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
Southeast Missouri State
Marquette

USD:

Southwest Minnesota St.
Minnesota St. Moorhead
Dana

Any questions?

Go State! ;D

I don't have any questions, lets compare records at the end of these three games. State's should be pretty good, only one of those teams you named are any good. By the way, it will sure be nice to be able to attend all 3 games. Hopefully you are around a radio for your games.
I would say USD has as good of chance as SDSU to make the D-I tournament this year.
The thing you don't get about the Tenn. St. comment is, I don't care if Tenn St. knows where USD is at and obviously being a no name D-I team is going to help them figure it out, thats what they are and nobody knows where they are at.

sports_buff
11-30-2004, 01:41 PM
sports_duff is exactly the kind of trash that gives USD its bad reputation. If he used a little more profanity I might think he was a Mueller. Not one intelligent comment because he can't get past his feelings of inadequacy, jealousy and outright rage. I would expound but things might get too personal.

Each of us shoul be thankful we're not like him. If he wasn't casting insults towards us he would be bullying some kid on the corner trying to score his lunch money.

As for "crawling" to USDSM; I can't discredit them with regards to my success, but more telling, I will give full credit to my experience and education at SDSU and hence my full support, both monetary and moral, to SDSU.

Just for clarity, my degrees include a B.S. in Chemistry and Microbiology from SDSU. Medicine is a 2nd career for me.

Wow Jack, I must have touched a sore spot. I wasn't even casting insults and do you really think I would be bullying kids for their lunch money just because I said you wouldn't have a MD if it wasn't for USD. I wasn't aware of USD's bad reputation that you speak of, but if they do have one I doubt it's because of them pointing out that you went there to get your MD. Thats what you call terrible trash and outright rage. The only one to show any rage here is you Jack.
A little more profanity and you might think I'm a Mueller, huh? Don't I have to use some profanity before I can use more of it. Besides, the only time I've seen Mueller use any profanity is when that thug Marquise bit him in the leg during the game at the dome. Good Day.

89rabbit
11-30-2004, 01:43 PM
Sports_bluff,

I tell you I understand your point. You are ok with being a big fish (sort of) in a small pound. Nothing wrong with that. SDSU aspires to be more.

Go State! ;D

sports_buff
11-30-2004, 01:50 PM
I tell you I understand your point. You are ok with being a big (sort of) fish in a little pound. Nothing wrong with that. SDSU aspires to be more.

Go State! ;D

wanting to be a little fish in a big pond compared to wanting to be a big fish in a medium sized pond, is one really more aspiring than the other? Thats very debatable.

jackmd
11-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Perhaps I underestimated sports_buff, it appears he has recognized some errors in the tone of his first several posts. Much more substance in those that have followed. I'll take back the rage part but stick with the others.

The move to DI will involve many years of enduring games vs little known teams with no affiliation to our conference. This is much better then courting small schools, with limited budgets, who wish to cut scholarships and have much lower admission standards than us. This years schedule is just that, this years.

Competing at the DI championship level (notice I didn't say the opportunity to compete) is still years if not decades away for some sports at SDSU. However, this goal will be realized. The fact that the majority of SD citizens have a limited knowledge of life outside the NCC is not something to brag about or be proud of. Its just that attitude that may have prevented a lot of progress in our state. Progress (or in other words change) can be scary, especially if confidence is an issue. Clearly, sports_buff, you lack confidence in your fellow South Dakotans.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
11-30-2004, 02:03 PM
The reality of D-II is that the talent pool is slowly (soon to be quickly if the NCAA regulation lowering scholarship alotments is passed) detiorating. For one, I enjoyed my time in one of the premiere D-II conferences while playing in the NCC. I thoroughly enjoyed pounding on USD 4 out of the 5 years I played against them. However, I'm glad SDSU had the foresight to get out while the gettin was good. I wish USD also had such foresight because I grew up with the rivalry. However, they chose to fight it out with the Minnesota-Duluth's of the world for the now weak NCC.

Would UNO have been snubbed on their playoff birth last year if they had won the NCC with SDSU and NDSU still members? No way. The NCC (once one of the greatest D-II conferences in all sports) now has fallen to a middle tier conference. I am sad to admit that since I put some NCC honors on my resume.

Alas, the future is bright for SDSU because we bought Microsoft at $25 a share. USD is still trying to convince themselves that computers are a fad and will never catch on. So, ultimately, you can watch the Jacks grow into a team that people from across the country recognize or you can choose not to. Either way, SDSU's journey down the D-1 path will remain steadfast.

gojacksgo
11-30-2004, 02:17 PM
In 2008-2009, SDSU will have a MUCH bigger chance at getting into the D1 basketball tournament. Everyone that moves up goes through this probationary period. It's not a punishment for just SDSU and NDSU. If you'd rather play NAIA schools like Dana and Peru State in 2008, while we have a full d1 schedule, I guess that is your opinion. I'd much rather play against mid major d1 teams like Butler, Manhattan, Wisconsin-Milwaukee(who is probably just as good as Marquette - You said only one of the next three teams are good) and have a chance to make it to the D1 tournament. In time, we could(should) be playing the likes of Northern Iowa and Creighton on an annual basis.

Just think.
SDSU vs Northern Iowa or any d1 oppenent for that matter will bring in much more revenue than a USD vs. their biggest rival.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
11-30-2004, 02:28 PM
By the way, UIC lost to Georgia Tech by one point already this year. They or UWMilwaukee will be in the big dance this year. UWMilwaukee was in the big dance two years ago, as was Butler. Manhattan made it to the second round by defeating Florida in last year's dance and almost knocked off Wake Forest. They were being touted as the Cinderella of last year's tourney before the second round loss.

UIC stands for University of Illinois-Chicago before you ask. We played them over the holiday weekend.

sports_buff
11-30-2004, 02:29 PM
The reality of D-II is that the talent pool is slowly (soon to be quickly if the NCAA regulation lowering scholarship alotments is passed) detiorating. For one, I enjoyed my time in one of the premiere D-II conferences while playing in the NCC. I thoroughly enjoyed pounding on USD 4 out of the 5 years I played against them. However, I'm glad SDSU had the foresight to get out while the gettin was good. I wish USD also had such foresight because I grew up with the rivalry. However, they chose to fight it out with the Minnesota-Duluth's of the world for the now weak NCC.

Would UNO have been snubbed on their playoff birth last year if they had won the NCC with SDSU and NDSU still members? No way. The NCC (once one of the greatest D-II conferences in all sports) now has fallen to a middle tier conference. I am sad to admit that since I put some NCC honors on my resume.

Alas, the future is bright for SDSU because we bought Microsoft at $25 a share. USD is still trying to convince themselves that computers are a fad and will never catch on. So, ultimately, you can watch the Jacks grow into a team that people from across the country recognize or you can choose not to. Either way, SDSU's journey down the D-1 path will remain steadfast.
First of all your comment about USD thinking computers are just a fad is ridiculous. They weren't ranked as one of the top 10 Most Connected University's in the nation because they think computers are a fad.
Obviously the NCC is weaker now than it used to be, and hence the resentment that a lot of people have towards the schools that left. Many feel that you are making a mistake and bringing other schools down in the process. As for now the NCC is still one of the best conferences in DII. I'm glad that USD chose to stay in DII so that I am able to still attend their games, home and away. Most of SDSU's games are across the country and the most of the home games are against NAIA teams or low level DII teams. A lot of the D-I teams they will be competing against wouldn't do that well in the NCC.
In response to Jack, I don't think there is anything wrong with the progess of this State. You act like we've been held back and being exposed to schools like Tenn. St., Denver, and UMKC are really going to help us advance as a state. I wasn't bragging about not ever having heard of those schools, I was simply making the point that being a low level D-I school doesn't make you as famous as you think it does.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
11-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Sports_buff,

Read my post again. The microsoft reference was an analogy. I was using some literary freedom to make the point that SDSU is seeing the future for what it is. In turn, USD refuses to believe that future is in fact a reality (thus the computer reference). And I thought USD was supposed to be the liberal arts school of the two. I think your English prof would be dissapointed.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
11-30-2004, 02:40 PM
Sorry, but I'm still laughing at you taking my microsoft comment literally. Maybe you have to be a hick from the cow school to understand such subtleties as sarcasm, metaphors, similies and the like.

gojacksgo
11-30-2004, 02:41 PM
First of all, every d1 school we've played would roll through the ncc this year. Yeah, keep bringing up that we are playing a bunch of Naia and DII schools at home for one year. You guys will be doing that for a long time - not just this year.

That's werid that you are making fun of us for playing all these Naia schools. This year you are playing the same types of teams as us. Only difference is, next year you will still be playing these teams, while we are playing good teams.

USD(also on SDSU schedule)
Southwest Minnesota State
Wayne State
Morningside
Winona State
Concordia St. Paul
Upper Iowa

To counter, USD also will play the likes of Augustana, Dana, Doane, SD Tech while we play D1 mid major powers.

jackrabbit1979
11-30-2004, 02:42 PM
First of all your comment about USD thinking computers are just a fad is ridiculous. They weren't ranked as one of the top 10 Most Connected University's in the nation because they think computers are a fad.

It was an a-n-a-l-o-g-y Obviously your support for the "Ivy of the Plains" we assumed you would catch our fair friend in Milwaukee's drift. Since you didn't, i will make it a little clearer, he meant we were forward-thinking in seeing the state of Division 2, and acting now, rather than waiting until the division and the NCC is more watered down and weaker than it already is. His m-e-t-a-p-h-o-r, was that the people that bought Microsoft at $25 a share were forward thinkers as well and benefited greatly. ;)

While i was typing this a number of people already beat me to the punch. Golly gee we are stupid hicks here at SDSU. Yee haw. ;D

gojacksgo
11-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Dang, i forgot to mention him taking that serious too. You beat me to it.

gojacksgo
11-30-2004, 02:49 PM
USD vs NAIA schools this year - 5
William Penn
Morningside
Doane
Dana
SD Tech

SDSU vs NAIA schools this year - 4
Mayville State
Morningside
Buena Vista
Bellevue

Alumguy
11-30-2004, 02:55 PM
I don't know if I'd waste a lot of time on sports_buff. It's obvious he is very young and doesn't quite have a grasp of things.

89rabbit
11-30-2004, 03:03 PM
William Penn
Morningside
Doane
Dana
SD Tech

Mayville State
Morningside
Buena Vista
Bellevue

SDSU vs NCAA D-I schools - 14

Butler
Manhattan
Illinios-Chicago
Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Southeast Missouri St.
Marquette
Denver
Tennessee St.
San Diego St.
North Dakota St.
Missouri-Kansas City
Arkansas St.
Colorado
Central Florida

USD vs NCAA D-I schools - 0

- Crickets chirping -

Go State! ;D

jackmd
11-30-2004, 03:22 PM
I don't know if I'd waste a lot of time on sports_buff. It's obvious he is very young and doesn't quite have a grasp of things.

I was gonna guess his age at about 15 after his first couple of posts, then I started thinking he might be closer to 19 and a typical USD lower classmen. Now I am back to the high school age group. I suspect he is a Sioux Falls teenager who has been reading and posting on the Argus Forum and eventually found his way here.

sports_buff
11-30-2004, 04:01 PM
I was gonna guess his age at about 15 after his first couple of posts, then I started thinking he might be closer to 19 and a typical USD lower classmen. Now I am back to the high school age group. I suspect he is a Sioux Falls teenager who has been reading and posting on the Argus Forum and eventually found his way here.

Kind of funny that a 15 year old was able to get you so riled up. In fact earlier you were comparing me to a school yard bully because I was picking on you so much.

sports_buff
11-30-2004, 04:04 PM
William Penn
Morningside
Doane
Dana
SD Tech

Mayville State
Morningside
Buena Vista
Bellevue

Ya, and you're supposed to be D-I. Do you think Iowa would brag about playing four NAIA schools? The sad thing is those are about the only games you will be able to attend. ;D

sports_buff
11-30-2004, 04:13 PM
Sports_buff,

Read my post again. The microsoft reference was an analogy. I was using some literary freedom to make the point that SDSU is seeing the future for what it is. In turn, USD refuses to believe that future is in fact a reality (thus the computer reference). And I thought USD was supposed to be the liberal arts school of the two. I think your English prof would be dissapointed.

I was using your reference to show that USD is with the times and how well they are keeping up, since your analogy was used to show that they weren't. Being ranked as one of the most connected campuses in the U.S. shows just how much USD is thinking about the future. I should have known that all you State fans wouldn't catch on to that. You truely are hicks, but at least you are proud hicks. There is something to be said for that.

jack100
11-30-2004, 04:19 PM
Ya, and you're supposed to be D-I. Do you think Iowa would brag about playing four NAIA schools? The sad thing is those are about the only games you will be able to attend. ;D

How many patsies did USD's football team play this year? USD went 9-2 playing one of the softest schedules in DII. How many wins would they have had this year in the old NCC (SDSU, NDSU, & UNC)? 6-5 would have been their record. In the previous six years USD went a combined 4-13 against these 3 schools (vs SDSU 1-5, vs NDSU 1-5, & vs. UNC 2-3) and getting outscored 540-317. What makes me laugh is the sportswriters that were lauding USD's football team this year. Their new coach has not turned their program around yet - their schedule just was downgraded.

sports_buff
11-30-2004, 04:27 PM
How many patsies did USD's football team play this year? USD went 9-2 playing one of the softest schedules in DII. How many wins would they have had this year in the old NCC (SDSU, NDSU, & UNC)? 6-5 would have been their record. In the previous six years USD went a combined 4-13 against these 3 schools (vs SDSU 1-5, vs NDSU 1-5, & vs. UNC 2-3) and getting outscored 540-317. What makes me laugh is the sportswriters that were lauding USD's football team this year. Their new coach has not turned their program around yet - their schedule just was downgraded.
Their schedule was easier this year than in the past. However, the new coach has obviously improved the team. USD wasn't doing too well against any of the conference foes (except Augie) until the new coach was hired. They wouldn't have beat Mankato or St. Cloud had Austin still been there. SDSU wasn't doing that well in the NCC either. Hopefully you will have an easier go of it in I-AA.

gojacksgo
11-30-2004, 04:51 PM
actually, sdsu is in the reclassification process, so they are actually not in either division. They are more of a D2 at the moment, until next year I think. They had to fill in thier home schedule, and no d1 schools are going to come to brookings first. they then went to the lower levels. We dont count as a D1 opponent for the other D1 teams we play. The key is to check SDSU's USD's schedules next year to see how many NAIA and D2 teams are on the schedules.

89rabbit
11-30-2004, 05:45 PM
Yeah, keep bringing up that we are playing a bunch of Naia and DII schools at home for one year. You guys will be doing that for a long time - not just this year.

sports_buff
11-30-2004, 06:17 PM
I take that back about what I said regarding those NAIA teams that SDSU scheduled at home. I just noticed by reading another thread that one of the D-I powers you have scheduled, UMKC, has already gotten beat by an NAIA school this year. Maybe those NAIA teams are going to be some of the better teams you play. I don't doubt it. A lot of D-I teams wouldn't fair to well in the NCC.

JackJD
11-30-2004, 06:18 PM
I think the short answer to Sports Buff's early comment about no knowing about some of the D-1 schools we're playing is this: Sports Buff, if you are not aware of those schools, you can simply turn on ESPN and see their names on the sports ticker. Yes, that's the same sports ticker that does not list any D-II or D-III schools.

gojacksgo
11-30-2004, 06:27 PM
but then one d1 opponent we play lost by 1 point to the #3 team in the country.

sports_buff
11-30-2004, 06:29 PM
So if I want to see the D-I opponents that you play get beat by NAIA schools all I have to do is watch the bottom line of ESPN, thanks for the tip. I don't need to watch for scores of USD games since I'm able to attend them, being that they are all close by. I would be worried about that bottom line if my team was playing a thousand miles away every night.

89rabbit
11-30-2004, 06:55 PM
I don't need to watch for scores of USD games since I'm able to attend them, being that they are all close by. I would be worried about that bottom line if my team was playing a thousand miles away every night.

So I guess your point is Big Time programs use Airplanes and are on ESPN and little schools use Buses and maybe are on the local radio. You would rather be little time, and be able to see all the games. Nothing wrong with that. I am sure Dakota State fans feel the same way you do. I hear they are talking about moving up to D-II. Maybe they can join the "New" NCC and be your new rivals. They are even closer to Vermillion then Brookings is, how lucky for you.

As for me I would rather Play Nebraska, Minnesota, Alabama, USC and the like, even if I have to listen to most of the away games.

Go State! ;D

jackrabbit1979
11-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Why are you continuously posting on this board. We don't care about you, USD, or anything associated with either. You attend a school or support a school which is not advancing its athletics and you obviously have issues with that as you can't stop talking about the topic of advancement on this board. SDSU is a probationary D1 athletic school. USD is Division 2. Most of us agree with that situation, you obviously don't. The NCC is weaker than it was last year or and even weaker than two years ago. All of the previous are true statements in my mind. SDSU plays a weak D1 basketball schedule this year. USD plays a weaker D2 schedule. SDSU plays some teams that the casual basketball fan in SD is not familiar with (since your call name is sportsbuff i would assume you would know, "maybe regional sports fan of any team associated with USD" is a more suitable name). Those teams would beat any bball team in South Dakota. USD could probably beat SDSU in basketball this year. Over the past ten years SDSU has owned the major sports contests between the two schools. That ten years is over. SDSU has moved on, USD has dug in. USD is a good school. SDSU is a good school. Brookings is a great community, Vermillion is an armpit. All of the
preceding are true statements, deal with it, drive to Yankton, watch USD and Mount Marty play for the next fifty years and get on with your life. :) Have a great evening.

sports_buff
11-30-2004, 07:08 PM
So I guess your point is Big Time programs use Airplanes and are on ESPN and little schools use Buses and maybe are on the local radio. You would rather be little time, and be able to see all the games. Nothing wrong with that. I am sure Dakota State fans feel the same way you do. I hear they are talking about moving up to D-II. Maybe they can join the "New" NCC and be your new rivals. They are even closer to Vermillion then Brookings is, how lucky for you.

As for me I would rather Play Nebraska, Minnesota, Alabama, USC and the like, even if I have to listen to most of the away games.

Go State! ;D

I don't think Dakota St. is going to join the NCC any time soon, but maybe they could schedule some of those D-I powers you are playing. It looks like they are an easy win for NAIA schools.

sports_buff
11-30-2004, 07:11 PM
Why are you continuously posting on this board. We don't care about you, USD, or anything associated with either. You attend a school or support a school which is not advancing its athletics and you obviously have issues with that as you can't stop talking about the topic of advancement on this board. SDSU is a probationary D1 athletic school. USD is Division 2. Most of us agree with that situation, you obviously don't. The NCC is weaker than it was last year or and even weaker than two years ago. All of the previous are true statements in my mind. SDSU plays a weak D1 basketball schedule this year. USD plays a weaker D2 schedule. SDSU plays some teams that the casual basketball fan in SD is not familiar with (since your call name is sportsbuff i would assume you would know, "maybe regional sports fan of any team associated with USD" is a more suitable name). Those teams would beat any bball team in South Dakota. USD could probably beat SDSU in basketball this year. Over the past ten years SDSU has owned the major sports contests between the two schools. That ten years is over. SDSU has moved on, USD has dug in. USD is a good school. SDSU is a good school. Brookings is a great community, Vermillion is an armpit. All of the
preceding are true statements, deal with it, drive to Yankton, watch USD and Mount Marty play for the next fifty years and get on with your life. :) Have a great evening.

Driving to Yankton to watch USD v. Mt. Marty would be too convenient. I rather drive all the way to KC to watch SDSU play a team that got beat by an NAIA school like Mt. Marty. Good evening to you as well. :)

sports_buff
11-30-2004, 08:22 PM
I'm so embarrassed. I really showed my ignorance earlier tonight when I said that I hadn't heard of Tennessee St. I see they scored a big win in overtime tonight against powerhouse Trevecca Nazarene, an NAIA team that was 17-14 last year. Last year Tenn. St. whipped them by 2. It sounds like they have a big rivalry going on there. Tennessee St. would finish in the bottom half of the GPAC. For those of you that don't know the GPAC is the confence that Mt. Marty, USF, Morningside, ect. play in.

89rabbit
11-30-2004, 08:43 PM
For those of you that don't know the GPAC is the confence that Mt. Marty, USF, Morningside, ect. play in.

The GPAC is also the likely home of USD after UND moves up and the NCC dissolves.

Go State! ;D

sports_buff
11-30-2004, 08:51 PM
The GPAC is also the likely home of USD after UND moves up and the NCC dissolves.

Go State! ;D

It will still be tougher than the confences that some of your D-I opponents play in. ;D Speaking of conferences, has State found one yet?

89rabbit
11-30-2004, 09:18 PM
Ever wonder why USD doesn't have it's own fan board?

Go State! ;D

89rabbit
11-30-2004, 09:23 PM
Or baseball? ;) ;D

Go State! 8)

jacksfaninne
11-30-2004, 11:09 PM
But they're one of the most connected universities in the country!!

Guess all the cable and phone companies rest easier knowing there's a labor pool of potential cable layers and line stringers in vermillion.

sports_buff
12-01-2004, 05:34 AM
Ever wonder why USD doesn't have it's own fan board?

Go State! ;D

No, I don't wonder that, I know why. USD fans have jobs and lives. I may be able to keep up on this board for a couple of days, but there is no way I could devote the time to it that you guys do. I see that you have made over 2000 posts, thats amazing. JackJD says he's a lawyer, but he must not have any clients, JackMD says he's a Dr. but he must not have any patients. The Dr's and lawyers and other people graduating from USD have jobs that they take seriously and then they are with their families when they come home while you are on the chat room all day and night. I gotta get to work, have a nice day. :)

jack100
12-01-2004, 06:17 AM
No, I don't wonder that, I know why. USD fans have jobs and lives. I may be able to keep up on this board for a couple of days, but there is no way I could devote the time to it that you guys do. I see that you have made over 2000 posts, thats amazing. JackJD says he's a lawyer, but he must not have any clients, JackMD says he's a Dr. but he must not have any patients. The Dr's and lawyers and other people graduating from USD have jobs that they take seriously and then they are with their families when they come home while you are on the chat room all day and night. I gotta get to work, have a nice day. :)

The real reason is that few people care about USD athletics. USD's attendance is mediocre at best. The only game with decent attendance was the SDSU game and 1/3 of the crowd was always SDSU fans. Without the SDSU on schedule, USD will draw even smaller crowds each year. Most diehards at USD would have liked to follow SDSU now all they get to watch is the NCC become weaker conference as each year goes by.

jackrabbit1979
12-01-2004, 06:19 AM
obviously you have a life sportsbuff, or a job. You were on here late lastnight and the first one again this morning. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
12-01-2004, 06:53 AM
I just had a chance to read the post about how sports_buff said he was using the computer example to show how ahead of the times USD is. That's a laughable excuse. Your attempt to explain your idiocy is no more than a veiled attempt to say "I meant to do that" when someone busts you for looking like a moron.

By the way, this Hick was offered a full ride to USD lawschool and passed it up. Just thought you'd like to know how badly USD wanted a certain SDSU hick to join the USD lawschool ranks. Nothing negative towards USD's graduate programs. Many of my friends have graduated from USD's lawschool and med school, including two of my best friends graduating from med school. However, those friends were all SDSU undergrads. Funny how USD graduate schools are constantly looking to SDSU for the area's best and brightest. Unfortunately, you have already proven the sports_buff will never be considered as one of the "best and brightest". I may be a hick, but at least I'm not an idiot.

Now, why don't you go finish your homework so you don't get grounded for having a bad report card.

89rabbit
12-01-2004, 06:59 AM
No, I don't wonder that, I know why. USD fans have jobs and lives. I may be able to keep up on this board for a couple of days, but there is no way I could devote the time to it that you guys do. I see that you have made over 2000 posts, thats amazing.

My question about USD not having a fan board was rhetorical in nature. I know that english isn't one of your strongest subjects so I will help.

rhetorical question
n.
A question to which no answer is expected, often used for rhetorical effect.

Since you chose to give a chippy answer let me leave you with this. The SDSU board is going on 2 years old and I am posting on MY school's fan board. You on the other hand, have posted 19 times on another schools fan board in less then 24hrs. At that rate you would have more then 10,000 posts on our fan board in the same amount of time. Just in case you aren't good at math either. Something for you to think about. ::)

Go State, South Dakota's only D-I University! ;D

jackmd
12-01-2004, 07:35 AM
Sports_buff,

I appreciate your concern for SDSU. I'll leave you with a quote provided to me by one of my mentors. First, allow me to provide some context. Success has alway come rather easy for me. When I was a younger man I was uncomfortable with some of the emotions that success elicited from my peers. Why do I bring this up? I detect some of the same feelings expressed in your concern for SDSU and some of the members of this community.

This little bit of wisdom from one of the earliest, historical Greek philosophers, helps me better cope with the emotions and concerns I experience when faced with envious people like you.

How much better a thing it is to be envied than to be pitied.
Herodotus BC 484-425, Greek Historian

You think about this a little bit and decide if you want to continue to be a person deserving of pity. If you were not aware of this already, I apologize for being so frank.

Lastly, I for one, don't mind your envy towards SDSU and those who support it. In fact, I welcome it. After all, envy is a just another form of praise.

1stRowFANatic
12-01-2004, 08:05 AM
I have recently had the opportunity to visit both campuses and the difference is quite remarkable. There is such a positive attitude at SDSU among the students, staff and faculty. The attitude at SDSU seems to be that "its a great place to learn, I'm learning alot, and I love being here." At USD the students I spoke with seemed to have the attitude of "I may be getting a good education, but I can't wait to leave."

I am a SDSU alum first and a USD alum second, but I think all SDns should be concerned that an institution we have invested so much in appears to have some very troubling underpinnings. I hope USD can decide what it wants to be, and then stick with the goal until it succeeds. About 4-5 years ago, they were in the process of trying to do what ever they could so total attendance would rise. Now they are going to focus on high achievers/scorers. The plans to get as many students in could not have been in place for one cycle of high school students and they abandon it.

The above is mine from another thread that I copied here. I know several individuals with degrees from both instititutions. While I think it is safe to say that we all want both schools to succeed, I think it would also be safe to say we don't see how USD is making progress towards its goals. I guess "Hate State" is enough of a mission for some.

jackmd
12-01-2004, 08:08 AM
I have recently had the opportunity to visit both campuses and the difference is quite remarkable. There is such a positive attitude at SDSU among the students, staff and faculty. The attitude at SDSU seems to be that "its a great place to learn, I'm learning alot, and I love being here." At USD the students I spoke with seemed to have the attitude of "I may be getting a good education, but I can't wait to leave."

Pretty accurate summary regarding my time at both institutions. I can't think of one student who has attended SDSU and then USD that feels any different. Of course, I'm biased and prefer to surround myself with intelligent people. What intelligent person would favor Vermillion over Brookings having experienced both?

JACKGUYII
12-01-2004, 08:15 AM
I truly think it's the communities that each of these institutions are in that makes them so different. The city of Brookings embraces SDSU and is proud to be home of such a fine institution. The city of Vermillion is the opposite and constantly seems to be at odds with the students.

sdman
12-01-2004, 08:36 AM
Maybe I am being a little too paranoid but it does seem coincidental that we haven't heard anything in the last couple of weeks from maverick1 and big jake and then all of a sudden this sportsbuff guy pops up with tons of posts in a short period of time. One has to wonder if this guy is not actually a usd fan but rather one of those maverick jerks who has now disguised himself as a coyote fan. Maybe they are all one person?
He does have one thing in common with the 2 maverick fans - he seems to consistently be wrong!! Go Jacks!!

sports_buff
12-01-2004, 09:28 AM
Maybe I am being a little too paranoid but it does seem coincidental that we haven't heard anything in the last couple of weeks from maverick1 and big jake and then all of a sudden this sportsbuff guy pops up with tons of posts in a short period of time. One has to wonder if this guy is not actually a usd fan but rather one of those maverick jerks who has now disguised himself as a coyote fan. Maybe they are all one person?
He does have one thing in common with the 2 maverick fans - he seems to consistently be wrong!! Go Jacks!!

Now that I'm taking a lunch break I can have a chance to respond. Just as I thought a bunch of you have already had time to reply. I can assure you I'm not the two UNO boys that were telling you off earlier, I've read some of their posts and they were pretty good. My guess is they were too busy to keep this up for an extended period of time, just like I will be. SDMan thinks whoever is against SDSU is just wrong. I suppose those Georgia Southern people were wrong when they came on here telling you how bad they were going to beat you while you guys kept acting like you were going to win. I guess they were kind of wrong, they said they would win 58-7, it was worse than that.
MilwaukeeJacksAlum, you got offered a full ride to USD lawschool huh? Is that what you tell people after USD turned you down? Why didn't you just go to lawschool at SDSU? Oh wait, my bad.
Jackrabbit1979 says I must not have a life because of all the posts I made yesterday. I just wanted to get a feeling for what you guys do all day. I sure as hell know I wouldn't have time to do that all day every day, like you guys do. Thats why I said I might be able to keep it up for a few days but I have too much of a life to dedicate the time that you guys do. 89Rabbit you won't see me with 2000 posts on any board. Maybe once I'm retired I would have time for that.
JackMD, I see that you are still keeping your patients waiting, either that or you are the least busy Dr. I have ever heard of. You wonder who would choose Vermillion over Brookings, well anyone who wants a good education. You and Milwakee want to talk about how many SDSU people were in lawschool and med school at USD, well I can guarantee you that theres a lot more USD students.
I should get going, I have another trial in an hour, I gotta defend another another SDSU alum. Thats the thing about being a public defender, you get to meet a lot of State grads. I need a job where MilwaukeeJacks works, apparantly they have time to play on the computers all day long. ;D

Alumguy
12-01-2004, 09:41 AM
I'm telling you, leave the child alone. It's time for his nap.

JACKGUYII
12-01-2004, 10:30 AM
I guess I'm really not sure of sportsbuff's point for being negative about the bold move SDSU has made to DI Athletics. South Dakota was the last state to have a DI school in the country and that should tell you something right there. If USD had made the same move I would say best of luck and good for them to have the courage to make the move. The fact that our move up is being belittled by USD fans tells you it's envy and jealousy. We know the move to DI is the best long term strategy for SDSU! Just remember the rivalary did not have to end because we are transitioning to DI. The rivalary was killed because USD felt the best and only way to get back at us was not to play us.

sdman
12-01-2004, 10:44 AM
I wish we could do polls on this site like we can on other sites. I would like to take a vote on whether people think this is a
1. new guy who is posting
2. big jake
3. maverick 1
I tend to think it is Maverick 1 but it is only a guess. He seems to have the same edginess about his posts that maverick 1 had. Big Jake was combative but in a different way.

SDsportsFan
12-01-2004, 10:45 AM
I guess I'm really not sure of sportsbuff's point for being negative about the bold move SDSU has made to DI Athletics. South Dakota was the last state to have a DI school in the country and that should tell you something right there. If USD had made the same move I would say best of luck and good for them to have the courage to make the move. The fact that our move up is being belittled by USD fans tells you it's envy and jealousy. We know the move to DI is the best long term strategy for SDSU! Just remember the rivalary did not have to end because we are transitioning to DI. The rivalary was killed because USD felt the best and only way to get back at us was not to play us.

Actually, the reason we aren't playing USD in basketball is because they would only play a home and home. We would only play them in Brookings or not at all.

jackmd
12-01-2004, 12:04 PM
I wish we could do polls on this site like we can on other sites. I would like to take a vote on whether people think this is a
1. new guy who is posting
2. big jake
3. maverick 1
I tend to think it is Maverick 1 but it is only a guess. He seems to have the same edginess about his posts that maverick 1 had. Big Jake was combative but in a different way.

I don't think its either. The new guy's style doesn't profile like mav and jake. Those two never quoted anyone and never used proper capitalization. Although, the new guy has no grasp of proper syntax but he does capitalize well. I know jake and mav don't have the cunning to disguise their writing styles.

HailSoutherneagles who was called out by JBNJBQ, was definitely one of the Omaha boys. (btw where the hell has JBNJBQ been?).

Sports_buff is a near perfect fit for either a current USD student, aspiring USD student (most likely), or an alumnus of the undergraduate school at USD. His demented psyche is a dead give-away.

SDsportsFan,

Thanks for clarifying a point that has been made several times before. I suspect JACKGUYII is aware of this but still considers the end of the rivalry primarily USD's responsibility. I'm not sure who to blame but I sure as hell don't care if we ever play in the Dakotadome again. In fact, after this year, I'm not really interested in playing any lower division teams, period (thank God for several this year so we can pad or record). I'll state the obvious just for clarity; DI teams don't travel to DII schools.

P.S. Are you and SDhoopfan related? I can tell you jackJD and I are not.

SDsportsFan
12-01-2004, 12:38 PM
JackMD
I don't think I'm related to SDHoopsFan, but I guess I don't even know who he is so I could be. I could be related to you for all I know. I don't know anyone on this site.
I hear ya about DI schools not traveling to DII schools, but I wish we could make an exception for USD. I would like to keep the rivalry going and if that means signing a home and home with them, then so be it. Our girls travel to NSU this year. Granted, this is probably the last year it will happen. I would just like to see an exception made here. Heck, Kansas even traveled to UND for a game. Thats just my opinion, but it doesn't seem like anyone else on this fan board really shares my opinion about that. Maybe I'm the only State fan that will miss those games. I thought they were a lot of fun.

Mike_H
12-01-2004, 12:41 PM
SDsportsfan: I sense you are about to get "The Talk" from 89. ;)

OK_Jackrabbit
12-01-2004, 12:50 PM
If sports_duff is done with his nap, let's talk academics for a minute.

I can comment about one department on each campus: journalism. USD has a newly remodeled facility, paid for by Uncle Al Neuharth... and they have five faculty for it. Oh, wait, their department chair is leaving because they have no money to OPERATE the new facility and he's frustrated (he's a great guy, by the way). So make that four faculty. And of those four, ONE has a doctorate. They were recently accredited for the first time (all good j-schools are) based on promises by the USD administration that the faculty would grow and more money would be provided to beef things up. The administration has now reneged on those promises. USD's journalism program will probably not be re-accredited or, if it is, it will be conditional on more money and faculty lines being provided. That is unlikely, according to my sources there. It's not a pretty picture, and I'm told that there are similar problems with funding and faculty departures across the USD campus.

Contrast that with SDSU journalism. They have a newly remodeled facility, paid for by Anson and Ada May Yeager. There are 10 faculty members, including six with doctorates. The department has been continuously accredited since accreditation began in 1948. Look at the staffs of newspapers in the region and you'll find many, many SDSU graduates and darned few from USD. SDSU's program has a truly national reputation for quality and has produced many outstanding graduates over the years.

Of course that's just one department, but it's the one I'm familiar with. And no, I didn't graduate with a journalism degree from SDSU. sports_duff will probably dismiss this post, because it involves facts and facts involve research. Research is hard... and sports_duff really needs another nap.

Awww. They're so cute at that age.

jack100
12-01-2004, 01:20 PM
Maybe most have seen the below before. But just another example of the what USD and and their student newspaper are about. This was written by a USD student and was published in their newspaper, the Volante in the fall of 2003. My hope would be that he would have to explain the below article while in a job interview with a SDSU alum.

YOU SUCKED AS RIVALS ANYWAYS

By Nick Kotzea

How does it feel to lose, SDSU? Yeah, I'm not sure what scoreboard you were looking at, but as far as I could tell, we mopped the volleyball court with your corpses last weekend. We dominated the nets, punk. Never try that weak bump-set-spike with us, because we will shove it right back down your chew-coated throat. That's right. It doesn't seem much like a rivalry anymore when we dominate you like that.

The football game? You want to talk about the football game? Yeah, you would twist things around like that, trivializing decades of tradition. There are women's sports too, you know? Here that? Yeah, that's 1950s calling, they want their social attitudes back. Sexist pigs.

Maybe you need to learn the accept defeat, like you need accept that this state will never recognize your marriage to Lambchop over there. We don't care how many times you've consecrated it.

You consider that a cheap shot? The only thing I consider cheap is the price of dating livestock. A little hay, soothing country-western music and you're off to the sick races. Don't play dumb, I'll let God punish you for that.

I hope Division I treats you well. I know my great-great-great grandchildren will be pulling for you 200 years from now when you're trying to scrounge up enough of a program to play Northern Idaho State in the NobodyGivesACrap.com Bowl. Good luck with that.

You'll miss us. Do you realize how far you have to travel to play the bottom-of-the-barrel Division I competition. I guess you really can "go anywhere" from SDSU. In fact, you'll probably have to go everywhere to lay your necks out like sacrificial lambs. Consider trading your 14-door pickup for something that gets, let's say, at least three miles to the gallon. But I supposed hauling that girlfriend of yours around in a vehicle much smaller than the state of Vermont is next to impossible.

Hey, I like your t-shirt. "Screw The U" is incredibly ingenious, at leat it was at the beginning of recorded time when the idea was fresh. SDSU is just a factory of creativity. Keep up the good work.

I hear Hobo Days is this weekend in Brookings. That freak show should tie in well with Halloween. I've got a great costume idea for you; dress up as a USD student.

You could start with wearing cool clothes and removing your lip's from that cow's ass. And I assume that stench of fresh manure has something to do with a homework assignment of yours. You might want to clean up a little; USD students value a certain level of personal hygiene.

No hard feelings buckaroo, we're just trying to toughen you up a little. If a fellow South Dakota university is capable of putting you down for being an agiculture school, the imagine what real "city kids" at Division I universities will do to you. Every laughing stock Division I school in America is hoping you join its conference to take the ridicule away from them. That should be fun for you. Don't foget about us.

I can promise you one thing: we will not forget about you, and we'll continue launching sterotypical potshots from the comforts of our lowly Division II liberal arts university. I don't care what your major is - farming or pharmacy. It doesn't matter. That's the beauty of this friendly rivalry. We make fun of you, and you have absolutely no basis for effective retaliation. Even at the Division I level, you'll still have Division II combacks. Nice work. You guys really suck.

jackmd
12-01-2004, 01:24 PM
SportsFan,

The related comment was just a quip, no deeper meaning or intention.

I would miss the rivalry if the future didn't hold so much promise. Hence, if I were affiliated with USD or Augie there would be a yearning.

As for Kansas playing at UND. Maybe if a Grand Forks lad or lass comes down and plays for SDSU, we'll pay a tribute and play a game in GF their senior year, too. No way I see us in the Dakotadome again.

gojacksgo
12-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Kansas played at UND one year, and that is because one of the Kansas players(can't think of him right now) was from Grand Forks, and that was to let his homestate see him live. Even if a kid from Vermillion comes to SDSU, they can make the 2 hour trip up to brookings to see him play against a good school.

We might play some d2 schools in the future, but the only times I believe we will is to go to someone's hometown(or state at least) to let the hometown fans see him play live. It won't be in SD either.

jackmd
12-01-2004, 01:48 PM
Maybe most have seen the below before. But just another example of the what USD and and their student newspaper are about. This was written by a USD student and was published in their newspaper, the Volante in the fall of 2003. My hope would be that he would have to explain the below article while in a job interview with a SDSU alum.

YOU SUCKED AS RIVALS ANYWAYS
By Nick Kotzea

Haven't seen this before but it reeks of the envy typical of those with with ties to USD who stand in opposition of our move to DI. Its fits perfectly with what I have been describing all along. Is sports_buff Nick perhaps?

Actually, he is the editor of the campus rag and a Milbank, SD native. This clown worked at The Forum in North Dakota in 2003 and Duluth this summer. He has even written for the Argus (sounds about right). I have included a snipet from the Forum and another entry from a website he frequents. Enjoy!! More quality journalism from USD.

From the Forum 9/27/03:

Nick Kotzea, Milbank, S.D., also was a general assignment reporter.

Kotzea is a senior journalism student at USD. He has been the student newspapers editor as well as a writer for the past three years.

He interned at the Aberdeen American News in 2002.

Kotzeas assignments for The Forum included municipal meetings, the courts and police.

He will graduate from USD next year.

My interests vary so much in terms of what I want to do with journalism, he said. Regardless of what section of a newspaper my name ends up in, Im optimistic about the ability and experience I bring to the table due in part to his summer at The Forum.

From the web:

Nick Kotzea: You sucked as rivals anyway

"I hope Division I treats you well. I know my great-great-great-grandchildren will be pulling for you 200 years from now when you're finally able to scrounge up enough of a program to play Northwest Idaho State in the NobodyGivesACrap.com Bowl. Good luck with that.

You'll miss us. Do you realize how far you'll have to travel to play bottom-of-the-barrel Division I competition? I guess you really can "go anywhere" from SDSU. In fact, you'll probably have to go everywhere to lay your necks out like sacrificial lambs. Consider trading in your 14-door pickup for something that gets, let's say, at least three miles to the gallon. But I suppose hauling that girlfriend of yours aound in a vehicle smaller than the state of Vermont is next to impossible."

Here is the link if interested:

http://www.upsaid.com/amuravsk/index.php?action=viewcom&id=365

OK_Jackrabbit
12-01-2004, 01:50 PM
That is a very stupid column. In fairness to him, he's not the first college newspaper columnist to embarrass himself in print (including some at the SDSU Collegian and at our Daily Oklahoman). And I see he is a dean's list student.

But for fun, I googled Mr. Kotzea. I found some other interesting things, considering the disdain for agriculture evident in that unfunny "humor" column. First, Nick is from the urban mecca of Milbank. I'm sure there aren't any farmers there. He did an internship in 2002 at the Aberdeen American News. What did he cover? He covered Spink and Faulk counties. No farmers there, either, I suppose. He also interned at the Fargo Forum (I used to work there... I'll have to have a chat with the editors). There are no farmers in the Red River Valley, of course.

So clearly, his disdain for agriculture is well-founded given his many experiences with hip, urban culture in Vermillion, Aberdeen, Fargo, and Spink County.

jackmd
12-01-2004, 01:52 PM
That is a very stupid column. In fairness to him, he's not the first college newspaper columnist to embarrass himself in print (including some at the SDSU Collegian and at our Daily Oklahoman). And I see he is a dean's list student.

But for fun, I googled Mr. Kotzea. I found some other interesting things, considering the disdain for agriculture evident in that unfunny "humor" column. First, Nick is from the urban mecca of Milbank. I'm sure there aren't any farmers there. He did an internship in 2002 at the Aberdeen American News. What did he cover? He covered Spink and Faulk counties. No farmers there, either, I suppose. He also interned at the Fargo Forum (I used to work there... I'll have to have a chat with the editors). There are no farmers in the Red River Valley, of course.

So clearly, his disdain for agriculture is well-founded given his many experiences with hip, urban culture in Vermillion, Aberdeen, Fargo, and Spink County.

Great minds think alike. :D

ActionJack
12-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Here's what's sad and funny about this thread. Whoever sports_buff is, be it college student or adult, is probably sitting back with his friends/co-worker USD chums showing them five pages of smack being directed at him. Why waste any more time on entertaining this guy. Heck, for all we know this could be a social experiment by a professor at SDSU trying to show that one person can insite (sp) a crowd. You've even resorted to wasting time googling the Volante's editor.

Can you guys go back to posting about things pertinant to our beloved Jacks and their current activities.

And now I'm responsible for starting page 8 of this stupid thread.

SDsportsFan
12-01-2004, 01:59 PM
The player you are thinking of GoJacksGo is Jeff Boshee, and I realize why KU played at UND. I was just making a point that DI teams do sometimes play at DII teams, and I used KU and our women playing at NSU as examples. I realize it's not common. I also understand JackMD's point that we have bigger things to look foward to. But I am a little confused on what those bigger and more exciting things are this year. Just about any game I would have any excitement over is being played far away. We don't have a game on our schedule that would excite me as much as USD, and we certainly don't have any home games on our schedule that would excite me as much as that game would. Maybe some day we will have bigger things to look foward to, but I don't think thats the case this year. Right now it looks like our bigger and more exciting things are a bunch of NAIA schools. I know we are playing many DI schools, but they are all on the road. Like I said, maybe once some of the big time teams start coming to Frost then there will be games I'll be more excited for than I ever was for the USD game, but until that time comes I don't know why we can't play sign a home and home with them. Oh well, all good things must come to an end I guess. Go Jacks.

jackmd
12-01-2004, 02:06 PM
The player you are thinking of GoJacksGo is Jeff Boshee, and I realize why KU played at UND. I was just making a point that DI teams do sometimes play at DII teams, and I used KU and our women playing at NSU as examples. I realize it's not common. I also understand JackMD's point that we have bigger things to look foward to. But I am a little confused on what those bigger and more exciting things are this year. Just about any game I would have any excitement over is being played far away. We don't have a game on our schedule that would excite me as much as USD, and we certainly don't have any home games on our schedule that would excite me as much as that game would. Maybe some day we will have bigger things to look foward to, but I don't think thats the case this year. Right now it looks like our bigger and more exciting things are a bunch of NAIA schools. I know we are playing many DI schools, but they are all on the road. Like I said, maybe once some of the big time teams start coming to Frost then there will be games I'll be more excited for than I ever was for the USD game, but until that time comes I don't know why we can't play sign a home and home with them. Oh well, all good things must come to an end I guess. Go Jacks.

Very logical thoughts. I believe I once heard an offer was extended by SDSU to play a game this year in Sioux Falls. Anyone know if this is true? Simply know way we could play in Vermillion this year or next. Only way we play there is if USD moves up to DI and that is not happening.

ActionJack, good advice.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
12-01-2004, 02:17 PM
I'm with ActionJack and Alumguy. I'm done with the ole sports_buff. Thanks for rustling our collective feathers, but ***Simile Alert***much like the horse drawn buggy, your usefulness has run it's course.

89rabbit
12-01-2004, 02:31 PM
I also understand JackMD's point that we have bigger things to look foward to. But I am a little confused on what those bigger and more exciting things are this year. Just about any game I would have any excitement over is being played far away. We don't have a game on our schedule that would excite me as much as USD, and we certainly don't have any home games on our schedule that would excite me as much as that game would. Maybe some day we will have bigger things to look foward to, but I don't think thats the case this year.

SDsportsFan,

I can understand your feelings. To answer your question our bigger and better things happen next year.

UMKC
Tennesee St.
Denver
Butler
Manhattan
Southeast Missouri St.
Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Nebraska
Montana St.
San Diego St.
Central Florida
Marquette

At least for me I am much more excited about Butler, Manhattan, and Wisconsin-Milwaukee then any USD game. How about taking a drive to see your Jackrabbits take on the Huskers in Lincoln. :o Good stuff in my book.

You are right, this years home schedule isn't the best, but that is just part of moving up and will only last one season. We are paying our dues. I will be at Frost all I can this year to support the Jacks and will be looking forward to bigger and better things starting next year (I am looking forward to the NDSU game).

Go State! ;D

P.S. I believe the Women are fulfilling the back half of a home and home series with NSU.

OK_Jackrabbit
12-01-2004, 02:39 PM
I'm with ActionJack and Alumguy. I'm done with the ole sports_buff. Thanks for rustling our collective feathers, but ***Simile Alert***much like the horse drawn buggy, your usefulness has run it's course.
OK, I'll stop smacking sports_duff. But I was sort of hoping he'd become part of our growing collection of smackees. We can always use an extra punching bag to go with BigJake and Mavericks#1. :)

I will say this, however: This is what smack boards are. Dumb people come in and the "locals" smack them around. I find it entertaining, and given that there are 110 replies and 1800 views, so do some other people. If you visit Bisonville, the Georgia Southern board (eagle's nest?) and others, you'll see that this is what smack boards are here for. I don't find it sad at all and I couldn't care less who sports_duff is, or what his dopey friends think of our five pages of smack on him.

There are thousands of threads in the other areas on this site where we do talk seriously about our beloved Jacks.

jackmd
12-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Don't get me wrong, I want sports_duff to stick around. We need both ends of the Bell Curve represented on this site. Right now were shifted a bit to the right (not a political reference).

JBNJBQ
12-02-2004, 04:48 AM
Please add with the ugliest team logo.

You can say that again!

I still think usd's new logo looks like a dog straining to take a dump!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

BHSSDSUFAN
12-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Good to see you back JBNJBQ 8)

JBNJBQ
12-02-2004, 03:38 PM
Good to see you back JBNJBQ 8)

Yeah! I had to take some time off. I had a colonoscopy last week. They found two suspicious looking lumps in my colon. No problem though, it was just Big Jake and Mavericks. I had them removed surgically. (They are always hanging around where they are not wanted).

You can't blame them though, it was a big upgrade from Omaha! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

SDhoopfan
12-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Very logical thoughts. I believe I once heard an offer was extended by SDSU to play a game this year in Sioux Falls. Anyone know if this is true? Simply know way we could play in Vermillion this year or next. Only way we play there is if USD moves up to DI and that is not happening.

ActionJack, good advice.

SDhoopfan
12-03-2004, 02:41 PM
I like your idea of USD/SDSU playing at a neutral site, but I don't think it will happen for a while. I think we may see SDSU play some games in Sioux Falls in the future, maybe of the exhibition variety.

JACKGUYII
12-03-2004, 02:41 PM
JBNBQ-that has to be the funniest post to date on this board. I laughed for 10 minutes.

JACKGUYII
12-03-2004, 02:46 PM
The State/U game was more than an idea. Their was an offer on the table for a two game contract that included a game in Brookings and one in Sioux Falls. USD turned down the offer and thus we have no game now or in the immediate future. I don't blame the Jacks for not entertaining a game in Vermillion with the number of away games we have to play in Football and Basketball. I thought Sioux Falls was a good compromise! USD's is in no position to negotiate or dictate an agreement!

goyotes
12-03-2004, 03:14 PM
Neither is SDSU.

Jack
12-03-2004, 03:36 PM
Yes we are so we did.

SDSUFAN
12-05-2004, 07:36 AM
Neither is SDSU.

Some how some folks just dont listen. SDSU is now a D1 program. USD is still D2, and when the prize is right in terms of an adequate guarentee, we may think about coming to the monument to Stupidity. Thats right, USD can only afford D2 programs and guarentees so who then is in the position to bargin?

ActionJack
12-05-2004, 08:10 AM
This would seem to be the appropriate place to throw this out:

From the Sunday Argus:
One night after struggling to beat Wayne State of the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference, USD (Women) ran headfirst into scrappy NSIC member Southwest Minnesota State and stumbled 64-51 in the South Dakota Basketball Classic on Saturday at the DakotaDome.

Also from the Argus:
South Dakota State sank a season-high 12 three-pointers as the Jackrabbit women's basketball team earned a 67-42 victory over Northern Illinois on Saturday night at the NIU Convocation Center.

USD's women now 6-1 on the season, SDSU's women 5-2. USD's loss, to DII Southwest State of Minnesota. SDSU's losses to DI Rutgers (then #18 in the nation) and DI Oregon State. (SDSU also beat SWMSU by 20 in an exhibition game.)

If I was a USD fan, at some point in the past I would have said that NCC schools could compete with lower level DI schools. And I would also say that Northern Illinios isn't that great of a DI school. Granted, but then again USD lost to (a good DII) SWMSU, on their home court.

And before any USD fans begin the spin, I'm talking women's basketball here. I'll freely admit the SDSU men are struggling this year, and may get beat on their home court by someone they shouldn't loose to.

sports_buff
12-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Some how some folks just dont listen. SDSU is now a D1 program. USD is still D2, and when the prize is right in terms of an adequate guarentee, we may think about coming to the monument to Stupidity. Thats right, USD can only afford D2 programs and guarentees so who then is in the position to bargin?

SDSU has had to scehdule 4 NAIA schools to fill out its schedule. Your home games are crap. There is no doubt that a game with USD would be your biggest draw. It is also no doubt that an SDSU game would be USD's biggest draw. Both teams need each other in that respect, the smart thing would to do would be sign a home and home. If SDSU gets to the point where they are having big time schools coming into Brookings and selling out every game then indeed USD would not be in a bargaining position. However, that time has not come yet.

SDSUFAN
12-05-2004, 01:12 PM
SDSU has had to scehdule 4 NAIA schools to fill out its schedule. Your home games are crap. There is no doubt that a game with USD would be your biggest draw. It is also no doubt that an SDSU game would be USD's biggest draw. Both teams need each other in that respect, the smart thing would to do would be sign a home and home. If SDSU gets to the point where they are having big time schools coming into Brookings and selling out every game then indeed USD would not be in a bargaining position. However, that time has not come yet.

It wont be long pal. Time to consider grain storage in the summer months at the Monument to Stupidity. You got to pay those heat bills some how.

JBNJBQ
12-05-2004, 04:23 PM
One night after struggling to beat Wayne State of the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference, USD (Women) ran headfirst into scrappy NSIC member Southwest Minnesota State and stumbled 64-51 in the South Dakota Basketball Classic on Saturday at the DakotaDome.

Also from the Argus:
South Dakota State sank a season-high 12 three-pointers as the Jackrabbit women's basketball team earned a 67-42 victory over Northern Illinois on Saturday night at the NIU Convocation Center.

USD's women now 6-1 on the season, SDSU's women 5-2. USD's loss, to DII Southwest State of Minnesota. SDSU's losses to DI Rutgers (then #18 in the nation) and DI Oregon State. (SDSU also beat SWMSU by 20 in an exhibition game.)

Didn't the USD women lose a game out in Colorado too?

I think their record is 5-2 as well. Both their losses were to DII schools, but they have been kicking the crap out of the NAIA schools! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Both SDSU's losses were to DI schools!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

coyotefanatic
12-05-2004, 06:33 PM
Actually, the main sticking point on SDSU and USD not playing anymore was more about money than anything. If SDSU is a "DI" program that doesn't travel, then it needs to pay out like a "DI" program to bring a DII team into Frost. That is why there are more NAIA teams on the home schedule this season than DII schools for SDSU. I'm not saying they are wrong here. It actually makes sense. SDSU is making a large financial comittment to move to Division I and probably needs to cut corners any possible way and this is a viable way to do that. And just to point out...the USD women are 5-2 but they have only played one NAIA school...the rest have been wins over DII schools.

jackmd
12-05-2004, 07:07 PM
coyotefan has a great signature line. I know I need to work on it but there is still hope, I think. A win over SEMO last night would have helped.

Anyone else a little bit glad that were not playing USD this year? I realize they have struggled against some mediocre teams this early season but they do return some players and they played us well last year. Frost is a huge advantage but their gaurds are light-years ahead of ours. I still believe we beat them at home but I wouldn't garuntee it.

SDSUFAN
12-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Actually, the main sticking point on SDSU and USD not playing anymore was more about money than anything. If SDSU is a "DI" program that doesn't travel, then it needs to pay out like a "DI" program to bring a DII team into Frost. That is why there are more NAIA teams on the home schedule this season than DII schools for SDSU. I'm not saying they are wrong here. It actually makes sense. SDSU is making a large financial comittment to move to Division I and probably needs to cut corners any possible way and this is a viable way to do that. And just to point out...the USD women are 5-2 but they have only played one NAIA school...the rest have been wins over DII schools.

Wrong!! Wrong!!. This years schedule has nothing to do with D1 money, and high cost etc, that is crap. This summer I was in the same golf group as Troy Larson, Nagy's right hand man. He told me that the NCC and NSIC did not want to to play SDSU period. This meant it was a bear to just put the schedule together and often the NAIA schools were only ones interested in playing us.

If playing in Vermillion just to get a game with USD was the only option from USD'S Perspective we say no thanks. If we are going to have to put up with thrown rabbitS, the concession stand running out of hot dogs and all the other crap that goes ON AT the monument of stupidity we want real cash to come$$$$ Cash that USD can not afford to pay. Who has the money problems? It is not SDSU.

JBNJBQ
12-06-2004, 04:32 AM
............the USD women are 5-2 but they have only played one NAIA school...the rest have been wins over DII schools.

My mistake! I guess I was just going by what has happened historically. Usd has always scheduled a lot of NAIA schools to make sure they have a winning record? Maybe that has changed now that NDSU and SDSU has left the conference? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I see Mount Marty and Mount Mary are coming up before and after their loss to Northern State. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

coyotefanatic
12-06-2004, 06:38 AM
JBJNQ --- That's fair...yes they have played a lot of NAIA schools in the past on their basketball schedule. As a Coyote Fan I cannot argue that. The men have Dana tonight in the Dome...attendance 8,000? I think not. And yes, the USD Women could be in big trouble against Northern in a few weeks.

SDSUFAN --- Maybe NSIC and NCC teams didn't want to come to Frost. But the point I am trying to make is that if SDSU won't agree to home and home contracts, then they must pay out like a regular DI team pays out. The last proposal that SDSU sent USD to continue the rivalry was the same as a DII team pays out to another DII team. Plus it included one game at Frost and the other in Sioux Falls with the two schools splitting the gate. USD has nothing to gain from agreeing to something like that. I think we all can agree that the only thing the two schools REALLY have to gain from playing a game like that is the gate receipt. I am not trying to say one side has the right to bargain anymore than the other...I am just showing you what the two sides options were and the rationale for why we are at where we are at.

SDsportsFan
12-06-2004, 06:43 AM
Wrong!! Wrong!!. This years schedule has nothing to do with D1 money, and high cost etc, that is crap. This summer I was in the same golf group as Troy Larson, Nagy's right hand man. He told me that the NCC and NSIC did not want to to play SDSU period. This meant it was a bear to just put the schedule together and often the NAIA schools were only ones interested in playing us.

If playing in Vermillion just to get a game with USD was the only option from USD'S Perspective we say no thanks. If we are going to have to put up with thrown rabbitS, the concession stand running out of hot dogs and all the other crap that goes ON AT the monument of stupidity we want real cash to come$$$$ Cash that USD can not afford to pay. Who has the money problems? It is not SDSU.

I wish we would sign a home and home with USD. I would gladly put up with a frozen rabbit thrown on the floor (which never bothered me anyway) and not getting a hot dog to see two more of those games and to get another shot at Mueller. I'm still pissed that he won his last two games against us and I want to wipe that freaking smirk off his face. I wouldn't even need for USD to pay us any money either, we would just have them play at Brookings in return, that would be our biggest draw and there would be our money. I know it's never going to happen, and I'm over that fact. I'm just weighing in on what I wish would happen.

89rabbit
12-06-2004, 07:02 AM
I would like to play USD soon also. I have been on their campus and it is beautiful. Maybe next year when we head out to San Diego to play the Aztecs we can squeeze in an extra game with the Toreros. Home and home works for me.

http://usdtoreros.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/usd-m-baskbl-body.html

Go State, South Dakota's only D-I University! ;D

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
12-06-2004, 11:30 AM
I'd like to play USD in the near future. There was nothing better than the buzz surrounding the practices, the games, and the student body than when USD was the next opponent. Each game was an EVENT. The football games are probably never going to happen (and truthfully, the talent level gap will eventually be widest in football), but I would like to see the basketball games continue. I think it would benefit both schools for at least the immediate future. Plus, how can my daughter and subsequent children grow up with knowing USD is the lesser of the schools if there's no rivalry to educate her/them? She needs to know that USD=evil and SDSU=good. Without the games the rivalry will begin to wither and USD will mean no more than DSU to her. Superman needs a Lex Luther. Just my humble opinion.

jackmd
12-06-2004, 12:17 PM
I'd like to play USD in the near future. There was nothing better than the buzz surrounding the practices, the games, and the student body than when USD was the next opponent. Each game was an EVENT. The football games are probably never going to happen (and truthfully, the talent level gap will eventually be widest in football), but I would like to see the basketball games continue. I think it would benefit both schools for at least the immediate future. Plus, how can my daughter and subsequent children grow up with knowing USD is the lesser of the schools if there's no rivalry to educate her/them? She needs to know that USD=evil and SDSU=good. Without the games the rivalry will begin to wither and USD will mean no more than DSU to her. Superman needs a Lex Luther. Just my humble opinion.

The hard fact is that USD will soon be equivalent to DSU, Augie, etc.. when it comes to athletics. If Northern can survive the slow decline occuring in Aberdeen they will be the premier DII basketball school in the state, if they aren't already. I suspect USD will remain at the top of the track, volleyball, and FB ranks in the new NSIC even with reduction in scholarships (down to the low 20's for FB). This takes nothing away from the academic opportunities at USD. Look at the bright side, its not that long a drive from Vermillion to Brookings. SDSU fans and others interested in watching athletes compete at the highest collegiate level can easily make the trip north. Student athletes with the best abilities will have the option to attend an in-state DI university and those who desire can still select USD, DSU, NSU, Augie or another team from that conference. Granted, scholarships will be at a minimum but the best will still be eligible.

Long story short, the move to DI widens the gap between SDSU and USD to one that is essentially insurmountable. No degree of potential payouts, gate receipts, rekindling of old rivalries, etc.. can stem this gap. I just can't see how it will happen unless USD moves up and I this just isn't feasible in the foreseeble future.

sports_buff
12-06-2004, 12:48 PM
The hard fact is that USD will soon be equivalent to DSU, Augie, etc.. when it comes to athletics. If Northern can survive the slow decline occuring in Aberdeen they will be the premier DII basketball school in the state, if they aren't already. I suspect USD will remain at the top of the track, volleyball, and FB ranks in the new NSIC even with reduction in scholarships (down to the low 20's for FB). This takes nothing away from the academic opportunities at USD. Look at the bright side, its not that long a drive from Vermillion to Brookings. SDSU fans and others interested in watching athletes compete at the highest collegiate level can easily make the trip north. Student athletes with the best abilities will have the option to attend an in-state DI university and those who desire can still select USD, DSU, NSU, Augie or another team from that conference. Granted, scholarships will be at a minimum but the best will still be eligible.

Long story short, the move to DI widens the gap between SDSU and USD to one that is essentially insurmountable. No degree of potential payouts, gate receipts, rekindling of old rivalries, etc.. can stem this gap. I just can't see how it will happen unless USD moves up and I this just isn't feasible in the foreseeble future.

Hopefully State will get those D-I quality athletes so people can drive up and enjoy some high quality D-I games. If they are like a lot of those low level D-I teams then we can watch better games right in Vermillion. There would be no point in driving up to Brookings to watch State either play another low level D-I team that we know nothing about, or watch them get beat real bad to a good D-I team. Like I said, that is only if you don't get the recruits you need to be successful. There are a lot of poor D-I teams out there. I hope State doesn't end up as one of them. I'm not saying they will or won't, I can't predict that and neither can anyone else (although I'm sure many are eager to try.) I really do hope they are very successful, because I would enjoy watching SDSU play a big game against Iowa or somebody like that, and not just play them but beat them.

ActionJack
12-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Staying on topic, but changing directions. What will happen to the 'Yotes when the NCC disbands? All throughout this board there are hints that when the NCC folds the remaining teams will be absorbed by the NSIC. Flawed logic IMO. Minn-Duluth was the only team from the NSIC that applied for membership to the NCC when the invitation was accepted. The rest of the league is/was satisfied with the current membership and basically thumbed their collective noses at the remaining NCC schools. I can see St. Cloud and Mankato possibly getting into the NSIC. UND moves DI. Auggie goes DIII. UNO goes south. And USD???? Looks like Northern could become the dominant DII school in the state if USD is left out in the cold. Granted, this could be 5 years down the road, but it could take that long to find a new place to call home. Do you think Duluth is regretting their move to the NCC? I think so.

89rabbit
12-06-2004, 01:00 PM
Four letters GPAC! USD will have great rivalries with Augie (also going GPAC), USF, and Morningside. ;) ;D

coyotefanatic
12-06-2004, 01:50 PM
Let's be a little bit realistic about this. First and foremost, I hope I sense some sarcasm that USD is going to the GPAC. Come on, that's like saying SDSU is going to the Big 10...we all know those things aren't happening...at least in the next 50 years. The truth is the NCC completely hinges on UND...that's no secret. If it should happen the following will likely occur. Minnesota-State and St. Cloud State will form an all-Minnesota conference with Winona State, MSU-Moorhead, Bemidji State, and Southwest State (also could include Crookston, CSP, and Duluth if they decide to make it an all-inclusive Minnesota conference, however, I have heard that they were going to form one with just the STATE schools). What happens next could be a bunch of other scenarios. Augie could look long and hard at NAIA or DIII, or they could fight to stay at DII like all of the other schools would. One scenario I have heard from some officials in the NCC would be to completely start over and form a conference with Northern State, Minnesota-Duluth, Augustana, Michigan Tech, Northern Michigan, UNO, CSP, and USD. I can't imagine what that would be like...first and foremost weird, and secondly I am not sure if that really makes sense on top of it. The other scenario would be for USD to make a pitch to become the "Northern Colorado" of the MIAA or the RMAC...both are likely long shots...beyond that USD could entertain the DI thing again but without a conference...and they would certainly be without one...and without the town to support it...that would be the last option at best. After looking at UND's gusses for what it would take financially to support the move to Division One I cannot fathom what it would take and what kind of a struggle it would be for the state of South Dakota to support two Division One programs that exist in towns that don't measure up to Fargo and Grand Forks.