Coaching Staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching Staff

Does anyone think there will be any other defections from our coaching staff? What kind of grade would we give Coach Stig and his staff. I had heard University of Sioux Falls had an interest in Coach Stig with their opening and he had a courtesy discussion and it didn't go any further.

Re: Coaching Staff

Yeah, I don't see any reason for Stig to go to USF, when he is at a D1-aa school.  Maybe if he was an assistant here, but not when he is the head coach.

I'd say he had his best year since he has been here.  We did very well in our first year in d1.

Comment

Agreed, not sure why Stig would even consider a massive downsize from DI to a lower division NAIA school or any NAIA school for that matter.

Agreed on second point also. Stig and his coaching staff deserve a ton of credit for preventing the collapse that could have occured after blowout losses to Davis and Ga Southern. With each game the defense got better and better. The special teams improved throughout the year. There were occasional lapses in the passing game towards the latter part of the season but it was still always are biggest threat. Watson had a nice year on the ground.

I would hate to rate each individual coach but as a whole they did one hell of a job. Not that it matters what I think, however.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Having had the chance to watch the team and staff up close, I would give the coaches high marks for working hard, and getting the team ready to play.
        The players themselves played with immense heart and desire. They were a fun bunch to be around. This team was very close to being 8 - 3.
        The beauty of college football is how teams change players every year and how coaches respond to that.
        With the young players coming along, and the recruiting contacts being made, next year, and the years after should be good ones.

Comment

We seem to have a staff right now that has worked together as a group and built great game plans.  I hope we can improve the salary structure so that they will resist offers from other places.  Some of the newer staff seem to have what it takes to be great head coaches somewhere else.

I am going to modify this post since I had not read the one about Kris Roberts resigning. I hope we can hang on to Karl Ballard and Luke Meadows. These are the two that impress me the most. The beauty of having the tent gathering after the game allowed you to get to know some of the coaches and they seem to be able to answer every question thrown their way. You really dont realize how towering Luke is until you look up at him to ask a question ;D

Comment

I give coach Stig and his coaching staff very high marks this year. I think they did a great job. Like Newser said- we were a missed (made) FG at S. Utah and a last second FG at Montana St. from 8-3. We had one of the toughest schedules in all of D1AA and being on the road is a very hard way to get wins week after week. The only way Coach goes to USF is if the daily grind and pressure of D1AA get to him. I don't see it happening.

I was unaware of USF's coaching situation. Did their current coach retire, or go somewhere else?

Comment

Bob Young the long time coach retired this week I believe, but the assistants have been intacted for a long time and one of the assistants DeBoer was named the new head coach. It would have been a big step backwards if Stig had been serious about the USF job. I dont know what he could have done differently from those seasoned assistants at USF.

Comment

I think the rumor and speculation on Stig and USF are just that: rumor and speculation. I heard USF had an easy decision: DeBoer was their guy. They want the program to continue (passing game) in its current style and DeBoer will do that.

The USF Coach, Young, deserves a pat on the back. At USF's level, they've consistently been at the top.

Comment

I would be extremely surprised to find out that USF considered anyone other than Deboer. Maybe they were required to contact a certain number of candidates, so they called ones they were sure would not take it.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                    I would be extremely surprised to find out that USF considered anyone other than Deboer. Maybe they were required to contact a certain number of candidates, so they called ones they were sure would not take it.
                    With all our lawyers on here, maybe you can set this straight, but Fred Oien told me once that by state law you have to interview candidates if the job is publically advertized. If USF's feeble discussion with Stig was their effort as an interview, this all makes sense.  I dont know what the state law is about public jobs, and would this apply to a private institution such as USF?

I am not questioning the selection of DeBoer after listing to Bob Young and other interviews on hordes, ---the Craig and Mike show via the internet on KWSN.  DeBoer represents continuity and knows what is going on and fits the "If it ain't broke, dont fix it" thinking which I feel applies to USD. OPPS!! That should be USF. Just too much alphabet soup in South Dakota ;D ;D

Comment

I would give coach stig. a B+ for his coaching a team I thought would be 4-7 to a 6-5 record. Really nice job. Hopefully he can improve on his excellent start next year. Think the odds are really good that we can improve over that good start in future if we can get more scholarships and improvements to venerable old couglin stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                        With all our lawyers on here, maybe you can set this straight, but Fred Oien told me once that by state law you have to interview candidates if the job is publically advertized. If USF's feeble discussion with Stig was their effort as an interview, this all makes sense.  I dont know what the state law is about public jobs, and would this apply to a private institution such as USF?
                        I'm no lawyer, but I would think that since USF is a private institution they would not fall under the same guidelines as a public institution.

Comment

I have no way of knowing but I always thought coach stig got paid about 100k now that we are d1aa with a car and a golf membership among other perks. If he even was remotely interested in the UNIV of SF maybe he doesn't make as much money as I suspected. I find it hard to believe that an naia school would pay their coach more than 60k or somewhere in that range.

Comment

I have heard from people in the administration at USF that they offered the job to Stig...but it didn't take him long to turn it down. I had heard that he had minimal interest back in early November when Young was contemplating retirement however, I am sure that with the success of this season he wasn't even ready to consider anything else.

Comment

I don't think there is any reason for going to USF for him. I can see if he was getting a lot older, and wanted to lessen his workload, but he's still got a bunch of years left. For him to have taken this job would have been a huge step backwards.

sdman, I think you are right. He's gotta make something at least in the 80's i would think. And I don't think naia is even close, even if it is a top school. I would guess that naia would make something like 45,000 maybe.

Comment

Working...
                              X