PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Staff

JACKGUYII
12-03-2004, 01:06 PM
Does anyone think there will be any other defections from our coaching staff? What kind of grade would we give Coach Stig and his staff. I had heard University of Sioux Falls had an interest in Coach Stig with their opening and he had a courtesy discussion and it didn't go any further.

gojacksgo
12-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I don't see any reason for Stig to go to USF, when he is at a D1-aa school. Maybe if he was an assistant here, but not when he is the head coach.

I'd say he had his best year since he has been here. We did very well in our first year in d1.

jackmd
12-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Agreed, not sure why Stig would even consider a massive downsize from DI to a lower division NAIA school or any NAIA school for that matter.

Agreed on second point also. Stig and his coaching staff deserve a ton of credit for preventing the collapse that could have occured after blowout losses to Davis and Ga Southern. With each game the defense got better and better. The special teams improved throughout the year. There were occasional lapses in the passing game towards the latter part of the season but it was still always are biggest threat. Watson had a nice year on the ground.

I would hate to rate each individual coach but as a whole they did one hell of a job. Not that it matters what I think, however.

newser
12-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Having had the chance to watch the team and staff up close, I would give the coaches high marks for working hard, and getting the team ready to play.
The players themselves played with immense heart and desire. They were a fun bunch to be around. This team was very close to being 8 - 3.
The beauty of college football is how teams change players every year and how coaches respond to that.
With the young players coming along, and the recruiting contacts being made, next year, and the years after should be good ones.

SDSUFAN
12-03-2004, 07:48 PM
We seem to have a staff right now that has worked together as a group and built great game plans. I hope we can improve the salary structure so that they will resist offers from other places. Some of the newer staff seem to have what it takes to be great head coaches somewhere else.

I am going to modify this post since I had not read the one about Kris Roberts resigning. I hope we can hang on to Karl Ballard and Luke Meadows. These are the two that impress me the most. The beauty of having the tent gathering after the game allowed you to get to know some of the coaches and they seem to be able to answer every question thrown their way. You really dont realize how towering Luke is until you look up at him to ask a question ;D

Texas_Jacks_Fan
12-04-2004, 08:09 AM
I give coach Stig and his coaching staff very high marks this year. I think they did a great job. Like Newser said- we were a missed (made) FG at S. Utah and a last second FG at Montana St. from 8-3. We had one of the toughest schedules in all of D1AA and being on the road is a very hard way to get wins week after week. The only way Coach goes to USF is if the daily grind and pressure of D1AA get to him. I don't see it happening.

I was unaware of USF's coaching situation. Did their current coach retire, or go somewhere else?

SDSUFAN
12-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Bob Young the long time coach retired this week I believe, but the assistants have been intacted for a long time and one of the assistants DeBoer was named the new head coach. It would have been a big step backwards if Stig had been serious about the USF job. I dont know what he could have done differently from those seasoned assistants at USF.

JackJD
12-04-2004, 02:23 PM
I think the rumor and speculation on Stig and USF are just that: rumor and speculation. I heard USF had an easy decision: DeBoer was their guy. They want the program to continue (passing game) in its current style and DeBoer will do that.

The USF Coach, Young, deserves a pat on the back. At USF's level, they've consistently been at the top.

1stRowFANatic
12-04-2004, 07:32 PM
I would be extremely surprised to find out that USF considered anyone other than Deboer. Maybe they were required to contact a certain number of candidates, so they called ones they were sure would not take it.

SDSUFAN
12-05-2004, 06:22 AM
I would be extremely surprised to find out that USF considered anyone other than Deboer. Maybe they were required to contact a certain number of candidates, so they called ones they were sure would not take it.

With all our lawyers on here, maybe you can set this straight, but Fred Oien told me once that by state law you have to interview candidates if the job is publically advertized. If USF's feeble discussion with Stig was their effort as an interview, this all makes sense. I dont know what the state law is about public jobs, and would this apply to a private institution such as USF?

I am not questioning the selection of DeBoer after listing to Bob Young and other interviews on hordes, ---the Craig and Mike show via the internet on KWSN. DeBoer represents continuity and knows what is going on and fits the "If it ain't broke, dont fix it" thinking which I feel applies to USD. OPPS!! That should be USF. Just too much alphabet soup in South Dakota ;D ;D

sdman
12-05-2004, 06:39 AM
I would give coach stig. a B+ for his coaching a team I thought would be 4-7 to a 6-5 record. Really nice job. Hopefully he can improve on his excellent start next year. Think the odds are really good that we can improve over that good start in future if we can get more scholarships and improvements to venerable old couglin stadium.

ActionJack
12-05-2004, 07:46 AM
With all our lawyers on here, maybe you can set this straight, but Fred Oien told me once that by state law you have to interview candidates if the job is publically advertized. If USF's feeble discussion with Stig was their effort as an interview, this all makes sense. I dont know what the state law is about public jobs, and would this apply to a private institution such as USF?

I'm no lawyer, but I would think that since USF is a private institution they would not fall under the same guidelines as a public institution.

sdman
12-06-2004, 05:35 AM
I have no way of knowing but I always thought coach stig got paid about 100k now that we are d1aa with a car and a golf membership among other perks. If he even was remotely interested in the UNIV of SF maybe he doesn't make as much money as I suspected. I find it hard to believe that an naia school would pay their coach more than 60k or somewhere in that range.

coyotefanatic
12-06-2004, 06:43 AM
I have heard from people in the administration at USF that they offered the job to Stig...but it didn't take him long to turn it down. I had heard that he had minimal interest back in early November when Young was contemplating retirement however, I am sure that with the success of this season he wasn't even ready to consider anything else.

gojacksgo
12-06-2004, 06:50 AM
I don't think there is any reason for going to USF for him. I can see if he was getting a lot older, and wanted to lessen his workload, but he's still got a bunch of years left. For him to have taken this job would have been a huge step backwards.

sdman, I think you are right. He's gotta make something at least in the 80's i would think. And I don't think naia is even close, even if it is a top school. I would guess that naia would make something like 45,000 maybe.

coyotefanatic
12-06-2004, 06:55 AM
I had heard that his religious beliefs had made the job appealing to him...however, one has to imagine that this would have been about the only things (besides being an absolute powerhouse) that would be appealing for him. I would guess that it pays about 50K or so...and a fair guess on his contract at SDSU would be 80K to 90K I would suspect...can't really justify that to your family can you?

JACKGUYII
12-06-2004, 07:11 AM
Coyotefanatic has is right. The main point of initial interest in the USF job was based on his religious interests not professional. I'm glad he has stayed however I want to start seeing an upgrade in this staffs ability to recruit and confirm some of the best players out there.

SDSUFAN
12-06-2004, 04:42 PM
I had heard that his religious beliefs had made the job appealing to him...however, one has to imagine that this would have been about the only things (besides being an absolute powerhouse) that would be appealing for him. I would guess that it pays about 50K or so...and a fair guess on his contract at SDSU would be 80K to 90K I would suspect...can't really justify that to your family can you?

A Lutheran going after a Baptist job? I dont think so. And what so religious about USF? I think this talk about Stig and USF is way out of hand. If Stig was going to a religious school, I could see him at Augsburg or Concordia in Moorhead maybe, but I think he is happy at SDSU and so far so good. Lets leave it at.

Mike_H
12-06-2004, 06:51 PM
"And what so religious about USF? "

You are kidding, right? And "a Lutheran after a Baptist job"? Please tell me you are kidding.

JackTwice
12-06-2004, 08:05 PM
Maybe Mike H. will confirm but I thought in an interview he expressed a small bit of distaste for the way recruiting works at this level. Anyone who knows Stig knows that for him its not about climbing up or down the ladder. Don't discount him being interested in a smaller school job.

ActionJack
12-06-2004, 08:17 PM
So far this thread has touched on religious beliefs...money...moving down a step. I think JackTwice said it right that you don't count anything out. No one knows what Coach Stig is thinking. He may not like what's involved in being a IAA coach. If he takes a lesser paying job is he really hurting his family...who knows. His kids are getting older, so their dependence on him is less. Cost of living in Brookings even for a family his size could probably be covered by his salary pretty well. It all comes down to what Stig wants. If he entertained talks from USF, good for him for keeping his options open. Again, just because he had a good year doesn't mean he's 100% happy with where he's at. Do you think any coach likes staff turnover like Stig has had (three coaches in the past 12 months). USF got their coach, Stig is still our coach, and if he leaves someone will want to make their mark with our program.

JackJD
12-06-2004, 11:00 PM
SDSUFAN's earlier post inquired about offering the job and whether USF had to open their position to a certain number of candidates. I think ActionJack's response is correct. SDSU has some rules to follow because it is a state institution. Those rules would not apply to USF (unless, of course, USF decided to adopt comparable rules).

Stig's salary is a matter of public record. I'm not sure what his salary is but it should be discoverable.

A few years ago, USD's student newspaper, the Volante, published all of the USD coaches' salaries. It was interesting reading.

Nice job by the women's BB team tonight, kicking Texas State San Marcos.

SDSUFAN
12-07-2004, 01:10 AM
"And what so religious about USF? "

You are kidding, right? And "a Lutheran after a Baptist job"? Please tell me you are kidding.

Mike:
What I was referring to is the affliation between USF and the American Baptist denomination. If its like your alma mater Dana College and Evangelical Luthern Church in America, its not very religious when it comes to financial support. As a fact when I was a Nebraska Synod Delegate to the ELCA in 1998, I learned that Dana and Midland Lutheran got a big heapy financial stipident from the Nebraska Synod that was equal to $40,000. Also these schools are tuition driven and can pretty much choose their poison in running their schools. No longer is chapel a daily requirement, nor are your required to take religious courses.

My point is any atheist who wants and can afford USF can do so. The religious affliation seems to mean less and less as time goes on.

I have no idea what is going on in Coach Stig's mind. I know he takes his personal religion very serious and that is his business and his alone. Whether he has problems with the recruiting etc, I dont know either, but why do people want to speculate about it? DeBoer has the USF iob and John Thune is SD junior senator, can we talk about something else?

Johnson55
12-07-2004, 07:20 AM
Stig was never serious about USF. USF wanted his name out there to get people talking. As far as USF being religious, maybe a little. They have some profs and students and a now former coach who are very religious. The actions don't always back up what they profess. Football players don't go to USF for religious reasons and either do coaches. They are either not good enough for NCC or SDSU, not smart enough to be NCAA eligible, or transfer out of NCC schools where they aren't getting playing time.

In the long run, Stig will be out at SDSU. He would certainly be able to land a better job than USF.

Mike_H
12-07-2004, 07:41 AM
SDSUFAN: USF owns a seminary.

Also, we Lutherans are now allowed to date, and even, dare I say it, MARRY Baptists! We are not, however, allowed to dance with them.

jackmd
12-07-2004, 07:44 AM

Also, we Lutherans are now allowed to date, and even, dare I say it, MARRY Baptists! We are not, however, allowed to dance with them.

Oh geez, couldn't let it go, could you. Catholics can't date or marry baptists. As for dancing and other activities..... :D

SDSUFAN
12-07-2004, 02:05 PM

I did forget the religious training of the seminary and USF is religious in that sense. How many semiarians play football or attend undergraduate courses taught by secular humanists who are hired for their teaching credentials and not their religious beliefs? Few I would think.

I give credit to the religious affliated private colleges for hiring very good faculty and I doubt the very good ones are subjected to a religious interagation before hiring.