An SDSU fan that is a realist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An SDSU fan that is a realist

Were you joking in this comment? I don't want to come across as too negative but I really don't think it has been so far so good. To me that would mean that everything that we've experienced since being D-I has been good. We haven't won a men's basketball D-I game yet and the conference we really wanted to get into just rejected us in favor of UNC. I understand trying to be positive, but lets just tell it how it is. Not everything is coming up roses for us right now, but hopefully that will change.

I almost fell over when I read this and leave it to a fairly new poster to call it to your attention. You can still be a fan, which he proved by saying that he hopes that it will change, but yet not be afraid to tell it like it is. I find his take quite refreshing.

Re: An SDSU fan that is a realist

There arent many teams that can win everything, plus get into a conference in thier first year of d1. Can you name any teams that did that? I think it is great that we have 2 decent conferences looking at us. Not many teams get that in their first year.

Comment

Comment by someone on the bluejay messageboard about SDSU getting into the valley.

Why would the MVC take any fledgling D1 bball programs - that's the province of the Mid-Con and that's where NDSU and SDSU will end up. They were stupid to go D1 based on their geographical location. Just silly IMO.

Comment

we're not saying we are getting into the valley right now. That is the long term goal, when we establish ourselves in our athletic programs. No one is thinking that we are getting into it right now. In 10-15 years, once we have proven ourselves capable of competing with them, I think we could easily get in to the conference.

Comment

I always thought that sdsu didn't fit the profile of most mid cont teams either who are urban for the most part. Last year bob danenhauer (former uno ad) was interviewed and he talked about why uno wouldn't go d1 and then he specifically said that he believed that both ndsu and sdsu would get into the mid cont conference in time bc as he said they take just about all comers. I still don't think they fit that conference profile but I respect danenhauer's opinion to think he is may be right.
          The good thing is that more student athletes are going to benefit by being d1. The bad thing - is it worth all the money and aggravation to go d1 to get the mid cont conference. As someone who has been to many umkc basketball games over the years I would say an emphatic NO. Now if they can eventually parlay that to a mo valley invite then the jacks win and I was completely wrong. I suspect a lot of people on this board will be long gone from this earth when that day comes. 20-30 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
            Were you joking in this comment?  I don't want to come across as too negative but I really don't think it has been so far so good.  To me that would mean that everything that we've experienced since being D-I has been good.  We haven't won a men's basketball D-I game yet and the conference we really wanted to get into just rejected us in favor of UNC.  I understand trying to be positive, but lets just tell it how it is.  Not everything is coming up roses for us right now, but hopefully that will change.

I almost fell over when I read this and leave it to a fairly new poster to call it to your attention. You can still be a fan, which he proved by saying that he hopes that it will change, but yet not be afraid to tell it like it is. I find his take quite refreshing.
            This was shocking to see a State fan with a sense of reality. They expect everyone who comes into this forum to pat each other on the back and tell each other how great SDSU is and what a great move they made in going D-I. If anyone has anything different to say then they get the D-I envy speech because they are just jealous. If a State fan dares to question the move then they are labeled as not a real fan. I wish I had a pair of rose colored shades so I could see what it would be like to be a State fan for a day. Many of them are even trying to put a positive spin about getting rejected by the BSC. :

Comment

It must be hard to be so angry and bitter all the time. I really feel sorry for you.

Here is something that I posted that may help you.

89rabbit wrote:

The word Fan is derived from the word fanatic. When used as an adjective the definition is fanatic - marked by excessive enthusiasm for and intense devotion to (in this case SDSU). So I do understand how someone could be a fan of SDSU and be upset by our move to D-I. I say to any that feel this way. Please let us know your concerns, let us help you understand why this is a good move not only for the University but also for the State as a whole. Give us your reasoning as to why you are troubled by the direction that the University has taken and we will offer hope so that you can once again fully support with excessive enthusiasm and intense devotion that which you love.

I think where people on this board tend to get a little upset is when folks who are not fans of SDSU, who do not have the best interests of our fine institution at heart, who even mock us come to the board to take pot shoots at us. Since we are in that political time of year I will offer up an analogy that may help explain my point. Be you a Democrat or Republican when the primary races are over one would hope that the Party unites behind its chosen candidate. Some years it is tougher then other, I understand that. The same is true about SDSU’s decision to move our Athletics program to the D-I level. The decision has been made (the primaries are over) and the first season of D-I is upon us (the general election is here). It is time for all good Jackrabbit fans to rally to the cause. We are South Dakota State University and we need your support.

For those who can not give that support right now I encourage you to stay open minded and let us help you. Time will heal old wounds and when you are ready we will be waiting to except you back into the fold. If on the other hand you are not a fan and have come on the board to attack that which we hold dear, please be forewarned that your assertions will be met with enthusiasm and intense devotion, because this is a SDSU fan board.

Go State! ;D

Ask yourself again, why do I a USD supporter spend so much time on a SDSU fan board.

Comment

If anyone has anything different to say then they get the D-I envy speech because they are just jealous.

Yes, and whenever anyone asks "What is 2 + 2?" People still keep responding "4".

Comment

[quote author=89rabbit

89rabbit wrote:

Ask yourself again, why do I a USD supporter spend so much time on a SDSU fan board.[/quote]

I figure somebody need to keep you guys honest. I also feel that you need somebody to point out troubles that may await you in your move, because obviously you guys are blind to it. You have made over 700 posts on Bisonville and you are asking me why I spend so much time on another schools board. You should be asking yourself the same thing. ;D

Comment

Sports-buff

Good point on the bisonville. There are rabbit fans that post on D2 football as well but I guess thats OK. I find it funny that the Big Sky and some of their messageboards are talking about adding North Dakota more than they are about adding SDSU and they aren't even D1. A thread was started at Valleytalk.net under "Valley Expansion" on whether the Missouri Valley should add SDSU or NDSU. It will be interesting to see the responses. I often wonder what the color of the sky is in some of these rabbitts fans world.

Comment

sport_buff,

I know you went to USD but do I have to spo on feed you everything?  My question is not designed to provoke thought on the amount of time you spend here.  It is to challenge you to ask yourself why you want to come here in the first place.

NDSU and SDSU are going through many of the same things because of our partnership in our moves to D-I.  It is only natural that I would spend time on their board.  I also have a genuine respect for their program and wish them nothing but the best (except those days that they are playing the Jacks).

Can you say the same?  ???  

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff
                        I figure somebody need to keep you guys honest. I also feel that you need somebody to point out troubles that may await you in your move, because obviously you guys are blind to it.  You have made over 700 posts on Bisonville and you are asking me why I spend so much time on another schools board.  You should be asking yourself the same thing. ;D
                        Nice try, now let me give it a shot.  

The reason you spend time here is because SDSU's move to DI is intriguing to you.  You have no vested interested in whether it succeeds or not, except from a standpoint of eagerness to criticize (can you say character flaw?).  This is the fundamental difference between those on this site who are suppporters of SDSU's move to DI and those who aren't (Mike_H because of his journalistic view is somewhere in the middle).  

In no way is it your responsibility (or anyone elses) to point out anything about what lies ahead, good or bad.  Eyes open or eyes closed no one is looking towards you for enlightenment.  Don't flatter yourself.

Maybe I was wrong, deep down its probably not envy.  I'm certain your relatively satisfied with what you currently have.  You are, however, overly interested in the information being exchanged on this site and that says something.  You, bj, Mav and those similar to you have more in common than you or I will ever know.  My bet is those common traits are not desirable ones.

All that said, please continue to offer your opinions, as irrelevant as they are.  It seems to be a form of therapy for you and its harmless to us.  Just stop kidding yourself with this altruistic bs.  You're only fooling yourself.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Looks like I am going to have to dumb this down.  I forgot that we had UNO fans on the board as well.  Put on your thinking caps kids it is time to play let's pretend.

Let's pretend that UNO and USD had enough fans who cared about their programs to have a fan board.  Now let's pretend that a few Dakota State and Peru St. fans came on and bad mouthed your schools (usually with no points or facts) and were surprised that they were not welcomed as insightful teachers but viewed as unwanted vermin.  What do you kids think we should do with the Dakota State and Peru St. fans?

Just in case you missed my subtle point, you guys are the Dakota State and Peru St. fans on our REAL fan board.  :

Comment

The USD and UNO fans bring nothing insightful to our board. They have been reduced to being only smack talkers and antagonists. I could frankly live without these three!!

Comment

UNO STEER NO 1 AKA MAVERICK, BUT ISNT A MAVERICK A STEER, HAS NO BALLS. There will never be calves in the spring with a maverick as the herd sire. I suppose those sophisticated Omaha folks have not figured that out yet.

Some how I am just not pissed off with that Mike Nelke avatar.

Comment

Working...
                              X