Doubleheader Weekend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubleheader Weekend!

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm sick of discussing the Big Sky and conference speculation. I'm just looking forward to seeing our basketball teams come home and play at Frost this weekend!

Re: Doubeheader Weekend!

I'll be a Frost! ;D

Go State! 8)

Comment

Re: Doubeheader Weekend!

Originally posted by 89rabbit
      I'll be a Frost!  ;D

Go State!   8)
      I'll be at the hospital in body, but at Frost in spirit. The team really needs to get on the winning track, just for the sake of emotion.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Re: Doubleheader Weekend!

I plan on being there. One of the few double headers at home this year!

Comment

its too bad they are playing a doubleheader this close to christmas when the students are gonna be heading home.

Comment

Welcome to the baord mitchellrabbit, thanks for posting.

Go State! ;D

Comment

ive been reading for a while, just hadnt posted anything. tonights quarterback club in mitchell, aaron johnston and jason liles. looking forward to it

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit
                its too bad they are playing a doubleheader this close to christmas when the students are gonna be heading home.
                Tough scheduling the first year at DI as a transition from DII. Things will improve each year. I hope some of the local fans can make it to Frost this weekend and support the Jacks. The men need to know were still backing them.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think so many of the opponents of SDSU D1 move maybe, who should be recognized with ancroynm of OPD1, are making so much of the scheduling process during the reclassification period.  The NCAA sees the wisdom in having this period, and in SDSU case  it is needed to get established.  From talking to Troy Larson at an alumni golf outing, who had a big hand in the scheduling, most of the NCC and NSIC did not want to play SDSU, especially at Frost.  South West MU seems to be the exception.

I would like to see more double headers, but I fear its a thing of the past, as both BB programs can raise a bunch of dollars by playing games separately. Although a doubleheader is bargin for the fan, its also kind of condesending role for the women. Playing the first game of two makes them the "B" team or the JV. Having a separate schedule will definitely pay off down the road. When you go to these games in the future, you go to see the women not the men.

I dont think our women this year are the "B team", they seem to be at a higher level than the men for one reason. They have talented experience, something the men are painfully trying to acquire.

The OPD1 does not apply to mitchelljack.  I think one way to try and build a following in various communities is to build in communities like Mitchell, which has had a great SDSU following for a number of years. AJ making the trip their to talk to the boosters I am sure was planned well in advance. I sure there are a bunch from Mitchell at every game.  We need more Mitchell fans ;D and more fans from Watertown, Aberdeen, Huron, Yankton and of course Sioux Falls.

At one time the Alumni Association had bus ins for games.  I dont know if we could revive that but it seems like a good idea to me.

U of Montana had Great Falls day at one of the games that SDSU played their in Football. I cant recall if it was in 1988 or 1993. Since then they dont need to do that kind of promotion. The reason is that they average 23,000 and change for football games. To fill Frost and Coughlin we may have to do that that.  Why not give locations in South Dakota recognition? Especially since we want a statewide following.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                    The OPD1 does not apply to mitchelljack.  I think one way to try and build a following in various communities is to build in communities like Mitchell, which has had a great SDSU following for a number of years. AJ making the trip their to talk to the boosters I am sure was planned well in advance. I sure there are a bunch from Mitchell at every game.  We need more Mitchell fans ;D and more fans from Watertown, Aberdeen, Huron, Yankton and of course Sioux Falls.

At one time the Alumni Association had bus ins for games.  I dont know if we could revive that but it seems like a good idea to me.

U of Montana had Great Falls day at one of the games that SDSU played their in Football. I cant recall if it was in 1988 or 1993. Since then they dont need to do that kind of promotion. The reason is that they average 23,000 and change for football games. To fill Frost and Coughlin we may have to do that that.  Why not give locations in South Dakota recognition? Especially since we want a statewide following.
                    What I always thought would be a good idea for NDSU would be do play the spring football game in Minot or Bismarck. They wouldn't have to worry about decreased revenue from moving an actual game out of Fargo, and I think they could really raise interest in western ND this way.

Comment

[quote author=SDSUFAN
                      I would like to see more double headers, but I fear its a thing of the past, as both BB programs can raise a bunch of dollars by playing games separately. Although a doubleheader is bargin for the fan, its also kind of condesending role for the women. Playing the first game of two makes them the "B" team or the JV. Having a separate schedule will definitely pay off down the road. When you go to these games in the future, you go to see the women not the men.

I dont think our women this year are the "B team", they seem to be at a higher level than the men for one reason. They have talented experience, something the men are painfully trying to acquire.

[/quote]

I'm not trying to argue with you here but I think the women would choose to play double headers with the men, even though their games are played first. While it might make them look like the JV game, it does dramatically increase their attendance. They have noticed how many fans attend a lot of these D-I games and I would think playing in front of that few of fans would make it seem even more like a JV game. Granted the State women would get more fans on their own than a lot of D-I women programs, but it still wouldn't be as many fans as they would get playing double headers with the women. Whether the fans come to see the women or the men they are going to cheer their a$$es off for the women once they are at the game. Some women's bball programs are able to stand on their own--such as Southwest Missouri St. Maybe SDSU's will get there, but I bet if you ask the women on the team right now they would choose to play double headers. I could be wrong.
                      I think the women have been more successful because SD girls basketball is some of the best in the nation. South Sioux City has had numerous girls teams ranked towards the top in the nation and SD has had many teams that would have been able to beat them. Last year Roosevelt--with a 4th place team--beat South Sioux City by double digits and S.S.C. went on to win their 9th title in 10 years in Nebraska. SDSU's women should always be able to be competitve in D-I. The NCC while being a strong conference overall, was exceptionally strong in women's basketball.

Comment

Nice post sports_buff.

Comment

I am going this weekend and it is a big game. I know michigan tech is good but we HAVE to beat d2 teams - even good ones. Go Jacks!! I hope in the future if we continue to play some d2 teams at home we can get some ncc teams. Creates a little more interest even if they are only d2.
                          Also, I too am for doubleheaders. I enjoy the women's games but there is no way I am driving from sioux falls for a solo women's game. Men's games I will go to almost all of them but not women's unless it is connected to a men's game.

Comment

I believe that the NCAA allows D-I memebers (full D-I members) to play up to 3 non-D-I teams a season (not including exempt tournys).  So I think you will see some D-II schools on our early season schedule.  Basically they will replace the DWU and USFs that we played while we were in D-II.

Some of you may recall the trip the Jackrabbits took down to Allen Field House to play the Jayhawks in 1985.  Kansas still plays D-II but now they only play D-II from the state of Kansas.  Roy Williams said if we are going to write someone a guarantee check it might as well be an in-state school, and you better believe that Pitt State, Emporia St. and the rest line up to do it.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

Sports Bluff you arguing and I dont want to listen to it. The majority on this board does not give a ra@s a@@ about how it was done last year as a D2 institution.  You are probably one of those cheap a@@s who think you should have a doubleheader every game. Sorry, but this is not the USD board, I dont care about USD, Augie or any of this bunch. I dont care about South Sioux Nebraska.  I guess you havent gotten the word. SDSU has move on to D1 so either shut up or move over to the USD board.  The Argus has such a board, but very few post over there. I wonder why? 8) ??? ???

Here is the link to the Argus and USD Sports, please post your boring stuff over there.

http://www.argusleaderonline.com/for...a4d69&f=53

And yes you could be wrong about a number of things that are going on at SDSU.  You dont have a clue.
                              It seems that most of the people in here agree with me about the double headers. Sorry that you don't feel that way, I didn't mean to offend you. Rabbit89 even told me nice post. I didn't want to argue about it, if you feel separate games are better than thats fine. I was just trying to have a civilized discussion about why double headers are nice and why the Jacks women's basketball team will be successful in D-I. I wasn't trying to get under your skin.

Comment

Working...
                              X