USD fans and Piston's fans - common thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD fans and Piston's fans - common thread

Wonder if any USD grads were in the stands at Auburn Hills Friday night?

S.D.'s had ugly sports scenes, too

Commentary by By Darrell Shoemaker, Journal Sports Writer

RAPID CITY --
    Friday's scene in Detroit also reminded me of an incident nearly 25 years ago in Vermillion.

I was a freshman working as an assistant in the Sports Information Office at the University of South Dakota. Growing up, I had heard the stories of live chickens, live and dead jackrabbits being tossed on the floor of USD-South Dakota State basketball games. I even heard the legendary story of State fans tossing out a frozen dead coyote that beaned one of their own cheerleaders.

But the USD-SDSU rivalry took an ugly turn in 1980 when, in the last minute of the Coyotes-Jackrabbits basketball game in Vermillion, a USD student tossed a bottle from the stands, striking a Jackrabbit player in the face.

I remember the blood streaming from the player's face. I remember USD coach Jack Doyle walking to the area where the fan threw the bottle and demanding to know which student had tossed the bottle. The student was ultimately identified and he was hoisted on the shoulders of fellow USD students and brought to the floor to the waiting arms of security.

Weeks later, I traveled to Brookings with Sports Information Director Mike Mahon for the second meeting between the Jacks and Coyotes. The ugly incident in Vermillion had received national attention and USD officials requested that only essential personnel attend the game in Brookings and ordered students to be on their best behavior.

The roof of Frost Arena was adorned with posters with themes of sportsmanship and the game went without a hitch. That is until 28 seconds remained on the clock - the very time that was on the clock when the bottle was thrown from the stands in Vermillion. SDSU called a timeout and during the intermission, a student tossed out an inflatable whiskey bottle that fell to the arena floor. It was a cool, calm and subtle reminder of the nasty incident in Vermillion.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: USD fans and Piston's fans - common thread

I just want to know one thing. Who kicked SDSU's ass today? Losing was a habit for them in Division II and it looks like nothing has changed since their move to Divison I.

Comment

MrSports: Go to the U of Kentucky's website and read about SDSU's women.

Comment

Next up for Jack women Oregon State after a win over Kentucky. Next up for Coyote women Dakota Wesleyan after a loss to Regis State!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
          Next up for Jack women Oregon State after a win over Kentucky. Next up for Coyote women Dakota Wesleyan after a loss to Regis State!
          That would be like SDSU's women play Briar Cliff. A DIVISION 1 school playing a NAIA school. Wow, talk about a brutal game. By the way the Kentucky women SUCK they'd be front runners for last in the NCC!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HATESTATE
            That would be like SDSU's women play Briar Cliff.
            That would be like Wayne State student write sentence.

Nice grammar, junior. As Steve Martin once said: Some people have a way with words. Other people... um... not have way.

Comment

That would be like SDSU's women play Briar Cliff.  A DIVISION 1 school playing a NAIA school.  Wow, talk about a brutal game.  By the way the Kentucky women SUCK they'd be front runners for last in the NCC!!!!
              Front runners for last place? Jr does have a way with words. My guess, USD would finish right behind Kentucky. Moot point however, considering USD is not a DI school. How did the yotes do this last week?
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Hate State,
                The Kentucky Wildcats are rated #64 this week in the national rankings, out of 329 schools. By the way SDSU is # 59.
                I know your new to the board- but you should post under the DII, NAIA and lesser divisions thread in the future.

Comment

You say that Kentucky, a 13-7 team from the always tough SEC, sucks????? I guess this shows the high level excellance expected from the HATE STATE (read USD) fans.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_tracks
                    You say that Kentucky, a 13-7 team from the always tough SEC, sucks?????  I guess this shows the high level excellance expected from the HATE STATE (read USD) fans.
                    Hat Estate has a Wayne State College email address. Of course that could very well be fake.

Comment

Ok, I am going to give the SDSU women some props, because actually I've been on their side once or twice. But as a BIG BAD Division I team why in the hell would they be playing a terrible NAIA school like Briar Cliff. Ok_Jackrabbit most people do know how to write a sentence, just because all you dumd asses up at State don't know how to doesn't mean you got to make fun of the more smart. By the way, how'd the State Men do against Wayne State?

Comment

Never get in a P@SS fight with a Skunk. ;D

Comment

Ok, I am going to give the SDSU women some props, because actually I've been on their side once or twice.  But as a BIG BAD Division I team why in the hell would they be playing a terrible NAIA school like Briar Cliff.  Ok_Jackrabbit most people do know how to write a sentence, just because all you dumd asses up at State don't know how to doesn't mean you got to make fun of the more smart.  By the way, how'd the State Men do against Wayne State?
                          You should know that Ok_Rabbit is a journalism professor.

Why are we playing Briar Cliff? Tennessee and UCONN schedules were already full. Why do you think? We need to fill our schedule just like anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                            Never get in a P@SS fight with a Skunk. ;D
                            Don't argue with an idoit. People watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Comment

Ok_Jackrabbit most people do know how to write a sentence, just because all you dumd asses up at State don't know how to doesn't mean you got to make fun of the more smart.  
                              reread your sentence, and you will see our point.
                              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                              X