Football recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football recruiting

Glad to see some of us can sign D1 talent.

UNO has pounced on an unexpected opportunity, nabbing a World-Herald All-Nebraska player just days before football players can sign letters of intent.

Omaha Central tailback Robert Wesley, long believed to be an NCAA Division I-A recruit, told the University of Nebraska at Omaha coaching staff over the weekend that he'll play for the Mavericks.

"I was really getting depressed about this whole thing, and saw a way out," Wesley said Sunday night. "Just the fact that I have a chance is what excites me."

Wesley rushed for 1,476 yards and 14 touchdowns last season. The 5-foot-9, 183-pounder averaged 164 yards per game and 6.4 per carry.

Wesley had early offers from both Kansas and Iowa State, and lately was considering Division I-AA schools Ohio University, Northern Iowa, Southwest Missouri State and North Dakota State.

Wesley said Kansas wouldn't allow him to commit until he visited, then told him it was out of scholarships before his mid-January trip. He said Iowa State backed off after learning that he wanted to go to KU.

UNO swooped in last week, selling itself as a program that tends to feature good backs. Jamar Day returns next season after running for 1,541 yards and 17 touchdowns as a junior in 2004.

"If I work hard enough, maybe I can get into the mix next year," Wesley said. "Obviously they weren't promising me anything with (Day) back, but they know the sky's the limit for me."

Wesley said he has no qualms with playing Division II football when Division I-A seemed within his grasp a month ago.

"It's all college to me," said Wesley, who plans to major in business management and minor in electrical engineering. "It's still a challenge to me. I'll work as hard as I would if I was going D-1, and let everything else happen for me."

UNO has 17 known commitments with signing day ahead on Wednesday.

Re: Football recruiting

Wow,we even made headlines on the huskers rivals page.

www.nebraska.rivals.com

Comment

Glad that UNO nabbed their guy. I'm not sure being asked to walk on at a D1 school makes him a D1 player, but whatever grabs the headlines. I guarantee you that 25% of the guys UNO currently has on its roster were asked to walk on by a D1 school. Same goes for most DII schools. That's what D1 schools do with DII talent. In my opinion, he picked the right school. Why go to a D1 school where he'd be always battling against the latest big recruit who was on full ride? Instead he gets to play for a UNO program that loves running the ball and is good at it. That's a no brainer.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Milwaukee Alum,

I agree. What is great for UNO is that Bill Callahan is downsizing his walk on program which will benefit UNO. Schools like SDSU could still benefit by getting players who have their mind set on playing D1 and SDSU would satisfy that need. Has SDSU got any kids out of Omaha this year? Usually they get one or two. I know they got a kid out of Council Bluffs and Arlington which is close to Omaha. Should be exciting tommorow for both schools.

Mavs#1

Comment

Mavs,
          I don't know about this year, but last year they got a linebacker out of Omaha for sure, i believe his name was Ruey Dei. I think the kid has a pretty interesting story behind him. Do you know anything about him?
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Don't know too much about the Dei kid. Looks like he might be adopted and is from Sudan. Picture makes him look mean. Josh Davis has been good for SDSU and he is is from the same high school as Dei. What happened to the Neneman (sp) kid out of Omaha North? He was a linebacker I think? UNO was on Josh Davis pretty hard but he wanted to go to a passing school. Now UNO is passing the ball more. Stinks for us, good for you. The kid you never saw who I think would have been a stud was Jake Dugger who decided to play baseball at Arkansas. The kid was a winner.

Mavs #1

Comment

Rivals actually has him as a 2 star recruit. Runs the 40 in 4.4. I can't recall any UNO recruit that has ever made the Rivals board. Good replacement for Jamar Day.

Comment

That is a nice get, congrats.

Comment

Sorry Jacks fans but I had to post the latest Coyote get. Another two-star recruit according to Scout.com. Kimbrick Baker of Miami Jackson High School in Florida:

Ht: 6-0 Wt: 170 40: 4.59
                  Position: WR
                  Projected as: WR
                  Class: 2005 Senior

Of all the top pass catchers in Broward County last season, nobody was more explosive than Baker. He averaged 20 yards per catch on each of his 33 receptions, seven of which went for scores. He’s the ideal slot receiver because of his quickness coming off the line of scrimmage. While he doesn’t have blazing straight ahead speed, he has plenty of quickness and he runs nice routes and has a natural feel for the passing game. That’s easy to see when watching his tape. At the MSL Combine at UM in April, Baker had several jaw-dropping catches as he showed why he’s a major college prospect. Baker is a track kid as well.

Before the year was considering Ohio State, Florida, Florida State, and Miami. Good friends with Stefan Logan. Hadn't been offered by any of those schools. Cancelled visits to Western Michigan and Temple to commit to the Coyotes.

Comment

Stefan can be a fatherly figure for him while he's away from home. Isn't he about 30?

Comment

Originally posted by coyotefanatic

Before the year was considering Ohio State, Florida, Florida State, and Miami. Good friends with Stefan Logan. Hadn't been offered by any of those schools. Cancelled visits to Western Michigan and Temple to commit to the Coyotes.

This a good get for the coyotes, but something sounds a little fishy. Kid was "considering" some of the best football schools in the country(OSU, FSU, UF, UM), didn't visit some decent football schools (but not spectacular) and ended up in Vermillion.

Does "considering" mean when i drive into the car dealership and look at the Lincolns and Cadillacs from my truck they are a viable option for me. In this case i wouldn't even drive a Ford or Chevy, but would take a geo metro off the lot.
                      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

The "fishy" part is that he dropped a bomb on one 40-time at a recruiting combine in Florida and ran a 4.7...at that point the Miami's, Florida's, etc. started backing off considerably. No offers were ever made from what I can ascertain. Apparently he's been clocked consistently around a 4.5 every other time...but unfortunately for him you only have to lay an egg once when Miami and FSU have about 20 other kids that have similar ability they can be recruiting. Apparently he must have just decided that he wanted to get the process over with and decided to join Logan in Vermillion. Yes, Logan is a bit older...but maybe he can be more like an older brother!

Comment

When some of us were young we "considered" dating Farrah Fawcett. I also "considered" playing first base for the Royals, being a rock star, and replacing Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show.

"Consider" is one of those great words that only goes in one direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                            When some of us were young we "considered" dating Farrah Fawcett.  I also "considered" playing first base for the Royals, being a rock star, and replacing Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show.

"Consider" is one of those great words that only goes in one direction.
                            Then look up Kimbrick Baker on Scout.com and you'll see that he was receiving Medium interest from Michigan State and Syracuse...pick-up a phone and call one of your peers in the business in Miami and ask about the kid.

Comment

Originally posted by coyotefanatic

Then look up Kimbrick Baker on Scout.com and you'll see that he was receiving Medium interest from Michigan State and Syracuse...pick-up a phone and call one of your peers in the business in Miami and ask about the kid.
                              I'll consider that.

Comment

Working...
                              X