X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad news for USD Med Students

Here is the link:  
    http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail2820.cfm?Id=22,37244

The $1.8-million shortfall for a new medical school building on the Vermillion campus doesn't just threaten the future of USD's program. It may also threaten the financial future of its students.That's because if South Dakota Lawmakers don't approve an appropriation to cover the costs, the state Board of Regents has already made plans to get the money from another, unlikely source: The med students.

South Dakota lawmakers have yet to take any action on the request for the money needed to finish what the med school and contractors have already started. Still the Board of Regents is already seeking a second source, the students. Paul Bunger, Ph.D., Dean of Medical Student Affairs, says "It's a rare student who works part time as a medical student to try to support and live.

As outlined in a memo, the plan involves assessing an annual facility fee of $1000 per year per medical student, and $500 a year on those studying Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Physician Assistants. Faculty here worry that will only add to the burdens of medical school. Dr. Rod Parry, Acting Dean of the USD Medical School says, " We're not a cheap medical school. We're a costly public medical school, and I'm concerned that the students may not have the opportunity, given some income brackets to go to medical school."

Bunger adds, " They basically are in a position of either living off of savings, living off of family members who can afford to help, or borrowing." To which, parry responds, " Many of the students are already borrowing the maximum amount of low-interest dollars and therefore, will be using high-interest dollars. This could have a huge impact."

That impact isn't just being felt by students, it could also have an impact on you and the medical care your family receives in South Dakota. Find details in our next HealthBeat.
    Jaine Andrews

Doesn't it seem like they are always asking, and usually getting money, while State raises their own money?

Re: Bad news for USD Med Students

It does seem that way.

Comment

Not good news for the medical school. Interim Dean Perry makes a point that shouldn't be missed. Medical school at USD is as expensive as any other public school in the nation and the facilities, well they need an upgrade hence the current problems.

Its really a catch-22 and I suspect the legislature will bail them out. In order to remain within the good graces of the national accreditation committee USD needed to upgrade its facilities substantially. Unfortunately, they didn't have the foresight or ability to raise that money internally. Partly because recent (and not so recent) grads are in significant debt and unable to give substantially due to the relatively high cost to attend USD. Others may choose to give money to other institutions ;D.

In summary, they have to upgrade the facilities or they won't continue to be accredited. In order to upgrade they need money which they don't have. If the state won't give it to them the burden will fall on the medical students/health profession students. Therefore, grads of USDSM will have even more debt and be even less able to support future fundraising for the USDSM. Students will need to enter medical subspecialties that pay better than primary care due to larger loans. We'll lose more of our best and brightest to out-of-state training programs and ultimately practices. I for one hope the state does bail them out on this one. We just have to make sure we hold it over their heads when it happens.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The Legislature should bail them out. It's important for South Dakota to have a quality medical school. Look at the Brookings Medical Clinic, for example. Half of the 18 doctors there are USD School of Medicine graduates.

(Disclosure: My brother is one of them. He's also an SDSU graduate.)

Comment

I am going to put my alleged hatred towards USD aside and state that I hope this problem can be resolved. A medical school for South Dakota is very important for the welfare of the state. Its unfortunate, that certain USD alums with means do not come forward rather than wait on the legislature. I am positive that JackMd knows of what he is speaking and what the circumstances are probaly much less than ideal at USD.

I would hope the Brookings area legislators would help get the legislation past as its about health and not athletics. Our animal doctors got to go Iowa State or Kansas state for Training, we dont want that to happen to our human doctors of the future.

Comment

I agree that the state need to bail them out, but it just blows my mind on how bad they manage money and other things down there.

Comment

Discussions from the past...

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...?board=sdsuetc

Comment

It blows my mind that once again USD gets positive reinforcement for negative behavior. They don't get the chores done in fundraising (like they did for the Dome roof) and will turn again to the deep pockets of the state of South Dakota to get out of trouble.

Now, I'm really going to go after them. A few months ago, USD held a press conference and declared victory in their capital campaign. Two interesting items concerning this "premature declaration." First, they said they completed the campaign two years ahead of schedule. Second, they said they raised $10 million dollars more than their goal of $60 million dollars.

Can you see where I'm going with this?

That medical building was part of their capital campaign. Can someone tell me why they would declare victory, if in fact, they were still short on dollars for that facility? Plus, they still have two more years in the original capital campaign calendar.

This is flat wrong. Period.

Comment

Good points Alum Guy. Watch out for gocoyotes, he will accuse you of hatred towards USD.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                    This is flat wrong.  Period.
                    I agree. But South Dakota needs an accredited medical school, so the issue here is bigger than USD's fiscal irresponsibility.

Surely there are those in the Legislature who might ask hard questions of USD administrators before they hand over the money (maybe Kloucek can stop yapping about SDSU's D1 move long enough to ask). And for the first time we have a governor from SDSU who might wonder what went wrong at USD. But if the choice is no new facility (and possibly no medical school) or swallowing hard and finishing the job, I'd take the latter.

Comment

Fact is, 1/2 of the old building is already torn down and the new building is already being built. They weren't suppose to break ground (or building) until they the funds were secure and they did. Does anyone think that once they realized they were over-budget they stopped construction? Of course not. One way or another, I'm sure I'll be helping to pay for it.

Comment

How is ponying up the money to USD going to solve anything? Is USD going to learn anything from this in the future about financial management? $18 Million? That's a little more than the ol' Need a Penny, Take One, Have a Penny, Leave One axiom.

Where does the state draw the line when handing out money to the U? SDSU was chastized relentlessly by those opposed to the move to D1 (read: U supporters) on how the monetary burden will undoubtedly be passed on to Ma and Pa Kettle. Hell, I had to convince my Grandfather (long time SDSU supporter) on how the move was a good one. But, USD gets a free pass because they know SD needs a med school. They use the "best interest of SDians" and sweep the rest under the rug.

As I've said before, my two best friends received their medical school educations at USD, so on their behalf I am grateful for the opportunity. But, next time the U or anyone else feels the need to bitch about SDSU's move to D1 as being an economic hardship, they can &%&#@!#.

On a bright side, I think SDSU should schedule a press conference on Monday because it appears as if we reached our goal of raising $25 million. Granted, it's actually closer to $8 Million raised, but the state can cover the rest. Fortunately, SDSU won't stupe that low.
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
                          I agree. But South Dakota needs an accredited medical school, so the issue here is bigger than USD's fiscal irresponsibility.

Surely there are those in the Legislature who might ask hard questions of USD administrators before they hand over the money (maybe Kloucek can stop yapping about SDSU's D1 move long enough to ask). And for the first time we have a governor from SDSU who might wonder what went wrong at USD. But if the choice is no new facility (and possibly no medical school) or swallowing hard and finishing the job, I'd take the latter.
                          SD needs a med school? Does it? Really?

Would it be more cost-efficient for the State to give full-ride scholarships to prospective physicians attending the U of M, Nebraska, etc. med schools, in return for a 7-year commitment to come back to SD and be a GP?

Just askin' . . .
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Headline of today's Argus...

Med school asks state for $1.8M

Higher-than-planned bids lead to funding shortfall on building
                            Students might see fees rise if Legislature rejects appropriation

RANDY HASCALL
                            rhascall@argusleader.com

published: 01/29/05

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...501290334/1001

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

SD needs a med school?   Does it?  Really?

Would it be more cost-efficient for the State to give full-ride scholarships to prospective physicians attending the U of M, Nebraska, etc. med schools, in return for a 7-year commitment to come back to SD and be a GP?
                              Maybe we should close down all the SD universities and just pay for students to go elsewhere for all fields. Do we need our own ag school? Doesn't Minnesota have one of those? What about English? Couldn't students study literature in Iowa or something?

South Dakota's medical school has an emphasis on family medicine and primary care, precisely what is missing in many rural South Dakota communities. The program serves the entire state as students, faculty, and graduates provide care for patients in every corner of South Dakota. South Dakota gets a lot FROM its medical school. It's not just a case of us paying a fortune and students and faculty getting theirs and giving nothing back.

Sorry for the sarcasm, Filbert, you were just asking a question. But we fought this battle already once, in the 1970s. Taxpayers have invested millions and the state has gotten a good return on that investment. To throw it all away now in a fit of pique over USD's fiscal irresponsibilty would be a huge setback for health care in the state.

A better focal point for that frustration that we all feel regarding the money involved would be phone calls to your legislators so maybe one of those characters will actually grill Abbott and others over their failures and will remember the next time they come begging to be bailed out on a project that, unlike this one, isn't essential to South Dakota's future.

Comment

Working...
                              X