Who had a better recruiting class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who had a better recruiting class?

I know it is early to judge a recruiting class but I would have to say on paper UNO wins.

UNO class could rank among best for Behrns

When an NCAA Division II school starts having its recruits show up on national lists, there is potential to get excited.

The University of Nebraska at Omaha hauled in three players considered to be two-star recruits by rivals100.com on Wednesday's national letter of intent signing day, but Coach Pat Behrns is preaching patience - for now.

"It's a good class, but I don't know if we're ready to place 'great' on it," Behrns said. "I'm not sure you can until you get it on the field. But it matches up with some of our better recruiting classes."

In addition to running back Robert Wesley of Omaha Central, defensive tackle Travis Thomas of Bellevue West and quarterback Greg Wunderlich of Naperville, Ill., other UNO recruits in a class of 18 who have drawn some measure of attention are fullback Andy Keith of Omaha Creighton Prep and wide receiver Antony Ritton of Auburn, Neb.

Behrns said that, with more services analyzing more prospects than ever before, it's probably not unusual that the Mavs landed some top names. But he's also pleased by the recruiting work done by his full-time staff - Lance Leipold, Brad McCaslin, Terry Samuel and Scott Fuchs - which was stretched thinner once Defensive Coordinator Fred Reed left for Ohio University.

"We always try to bring in a high level of recruits, and we always try to step it up a level," Behrns said. "We're going to reach for the stars. If we get one, great. If not, we move on to the next one. We'll evaluate and go after the best guy we can, and we keep going until they tell us no."

UNO set its sights on safeties, cornerbacks and wide receivers and targeted metropolitan areas such as Minneapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee and Des Moines with an emphasis that hasn't been seen under Behrns. The Mavs appear to have been successful on all fronts.

"The majority of the guys we signed were in the top one or two we had at every position," Behrns said. "That hasn't happened for us much. We'll rate five guys at each position, and we'll want to get Nos. 1 and 2, even though we think all five can play."

A Chicago recruiting trip landed Wunderlich as well as cornerbacks LaVell Jackson and Pagel Williams, who may have a chance to play as true freshmen.

"You watch film of those two cornerbacks, and they're just good high school football players," Behrns said. "You can see they know how to play the game."

In the Minneapolis area, the Mavs landed St. Louis Park teammates Andy Parke and Arsenio Richardson. Parke, a center, is the only offensive line recruit for a UNO program loaded with young linemen.

Richardson could compete with Wesley to eventually succeed All-America candidate Jamar Day at tailback. The program is already thin at that position because of attrition.

"It'll be interesting to see, because I can't remember when we've signed two high school tailbacks with this level of talent," Behrns said. "A lot will depend on how physical those guys get from now until then."

Safety Dan Sellers comes from the Milwaukee area, and wide receiver Tanner Samame from Des Moines. Wisconsin and Iowa are states that have few scholarship opportunities for football players since many of the schools are non-scholarship Division III programs.

Another area thin on Division II programs, Arizona, produced wide receiver recruit Michael Tamez.

UNO expanded its recruiting base in response to schools such as North Dakota State and South Dakota State, which have moved up to Division I-AA and are able to come into Nebraska and offer full scholarships.

Sellers is one of three to five recruits who could contend at safety. Samame and Tamez are among four or five who could be wide receivers.

"We needed to get more guys in our program at those positions," Behrns said. "And some of them may have a chance to help us as true freshmen."

Re: Who had a better recruiting class?

Here is a list of all our recruits and a little bit about them.

Matt Ajuoga, WR-DB, 6-2, 170, Ralston - Three-sport athlete had 605 receiving yards, 450 return yards and intercepted two passes for Rams. Had six touchdowns among his 33 receptions.
    • David Chochon, S, 6-1, 190, Columbus (Lakeview) - Rushed for 1,500 yards and scored 31 touchdowns last fall, but expected to play safety for Mavs.
    • Alexander Hahn, K, 6-0, 190, Eden Prairie, Minn. - All-stater made 4 of 6 field goal attempts and 80 percent of kickoffs were touchbacks. Also played defensive end, so is expected to improve once he concentrates solely on kicking.
    • LaVell Jackson, CB, 5-9, 195, Dalton, Ill. - Rushed for 891 yards and seven touchdowns, and also had five touchdown receptions but is expected to play cornerback for UNO.
    • Andy Keith, FB, 6-1, 216, Omaha Creighton Prep - A top linebacker, Keith impressed UNO staff as a fullback. Two-time all-stater led Prep in tackles last two years, including 111 last season, when he had five sacks and two interceptions.
    • Zac Keller, DL, 6-2, 275, Kearney - Fourth straight year Mavs have had a Kearney recruit, following Jason Jones, Rob Lewis and James Lucas. Had 107 tackles as a senior, including 18 for losses.
    • Troy Kush, WR-S, 6-3, 185, Gretna - Had 26 receptions and seven interceptions while leading Dragons with 77 tackles. Son of former UNO star and NFL veteran Rod Kush, he's the brother of Mav safety and special teams standout Randy Kush.
    • Andy Parke, C, 6-3, 270, St. Louis Park, Minn. - All-state player set school record for pancake blocks as senior and also played baseball. The only offensive line recruit pursued by UNO. Opened holes for UNO running back recruit Arsenio Richardson.
    • Arsenio Richardson, RB, 5-11, 200, Minnetonka, Minn. - Followed UNO recruit Andy Parke en route to 1,782 yards and 22 touchdowns as a senior, and 3,546 yards for his career. All-state player also starred in track and basketball.
    • Antony Ritton, WR, 6-5, 195, Auburn - Caught 40 passes for 780 yards as a junior and 32 for 560 as a senior. Appears to be the prototypical tall wide receiver favored by UNO Coach Pat Behrns. Set school records in the 100 and 200 meters.
    • Tanner Samame, WR, 6-4, 193, West Des Moines, Iowa - Another tall receiver, Samame was a three-sport star as West Des Moines Valley. Injured for part of senior season.
    • Dan Sellers, S, 6-2, 185, Brown Deer, Wis. - Also a wide receiver, the all-stater had 388 receiving yards and six touchdowns, but is expected to play safety. He had team-high 75 tackles, four interceptions, four forced fumbles and five pass breakups, and also averaged 28.7 yards on kickoff returns and 18.2 on punt returns.
    • Michael Tamez, WR, 6-2, 200, Phoenix - All-city and all-region for Desert Vista High School, he caught 43 passes for 703 yards and six touchdowns as a senior - including 13 receptions for 220 in a game. Had 2,976 career receiving yards, and 24 career interceptions - 11 as a freshman.
    • Travis Thomas, DL, 6-3, 270, Bellevue West - Mobile interior lineman was rated a two-star prospect by rivals100.com. All-Metro selection. Mavs pleased to add line prospects of this quality.
    • Robert Wesley, RB, 5-9, 175, Omaha Central - Another two-star prospect, follows long line of tailback standouts at Central, where he rushed for 1,476 yards and 14 touchdowns. Father, Rob, lettered for UNO in 1977 and 1978.
    • Pagel Williams, CB, 5-8, 165, Chicago - Was Morgan Park High School's defensive most valuable player as a senior and its offensive MVP as a sophomore. Had 75 tackles and 11 interceptions last season, and 18 interceptions for his career. Had 12 returns for touchdowns on special teams last two years, including nine as a junior.
    • Greg Wunderlich, QB, 5-11, 180, Naperville, Ill. - Two-time all-stater was a three-year starter and made one start as a freshman for quality Naperville North program that boasts three current NFL players. Another two-star prospect, he passed for 6,103 yards and 51 touchdowns in his career, including 2,220 and 20 touchdowns as a senior.
    • Jason Zabka, S, 6-2, 190, Petersburg (Boone Central) - Class C-1 all-stater rushed for 1,400 yards for Boone Central, but is expected to play safety at UNO. Had 60 tackles and six interceptions for team that lost in state championship game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
      I know it is early to judge a recruiting class but I would have to say on paper UNO wins.
      You nor the Jacks fans (this is an SDSU forum) will concede that the others is a better recruiting class, but I wonder what makes you think that a D-II class full of players who were not offered rides to D1 or D1-AA institutions is somehow better than SDSU's? You can't be looking at the stats from highschool because they're all about the same. Everyone has a ton of yards or a ton of tackles/sacks/INTs related to their various positions. Honestly, looking at the two lists, I don't know how to differentiate between the two. Our guys are bigger if that says anything.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Also, I wonder what direction Behrns is heading with that class. Aside from Martay Jenkins, the forward pass has only been given "Use in case of Emergency Only" status. Would this group of WRs signal a future with a passing offense? Maybe he's expecting to have his kick return team see a lot more action in the future and wants to be prepared with a wide variety of return guys to choose from.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Milwaukee Jack

When an NCAA Division II school starts having its recruits show up on national lists, there is potential to get excited.

The University of Nebraska at Omaha hauled in three players considered to be two-star recruits by rivals100.com on Wednesday's national letter of intent signing day

The above statement is what I would base it on. Following Nebraska recruiting closely as well ( which by the way they had a great year) I know that if a kid ends up on a recruiting service like Rivals that the kid must have some talent and had some D1 offers. These services today track these kids like never before and go to camps and watch film in addition to going to games. For UNO to have three kids on Rivals says a lot to me. I know if SDSU had some kids popping up on the Rivals boards you all would be excited as well. I am not saying that SDSU class was bad. I just thought it would be fun to compare the two.

Comment

Mav,

I truly could care less who you recruited and why. Our coaches found the kids they wanted and went out and got them. You worry about your D II program and we will worry about our own.....

Go Jacks !!!!!
            http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

I'm not knocking the UNO class. I agree getting three guys from the Rivals board is a good accomplishment. I'd be excited about that DII or D1-AA.

Now, any idea on why the plethera of WRs?

Comment

UNO?? No one here should care. They play in a lower division and always will. They are a part of the past.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                  UNO??  No one here should care.  They play in a lower division and always will.  They are a part of the past.
                  It sounds like they might be stealing some of our recruits, and I care about that. If UNO is getting a better recruiting class than we are then that is a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by SDsportsFan

It sounds like they might be stealing some of our recruits, and I care about that.  If UNO is getting a better recruiting class than we are then that is a concern.

Why??  Will we be competing against these recruits?  Are you implying that we should better influence these teenagers to attend SDSU?  I suspect everything that can be done is being done.  Show some respect for SDSU.  If you want to worry about DII teams do it on your time, not mine.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Why??  Will we be competing against these recruits?  Are you implying that we should better influence these teenagers to attend SDSU?  I suspect everything that can be done is being done.  Show some respect for SDSU.  If you want to worry about DII teams do it on your time, not mine.
                      Are you saying that I'm disrespecting SDSU because I care about UNO's recruiting class? :-/ If you are so worried about your time and don't care about UNO's recruiting class then don't click on this thread and quit reading the posts in this thread. If UNO is signing some players that I think we should have got then I want to hear about it, is that alright with you Doc.

Comment

I'm still interested in who UNO recruits.  Will I compare recruiting classes?  Nope, don't want to waste my time.  I like having Mav on around here, he serves some sort of purpose.  It's not like we have anyone else running smack (or at least attempting to) on a daily basis.  In fact, I wouldn't mind if USD or Augie fans came on here talking smack (would rather have NDSU, Cal-poly, UC-Davis fans though).  It's always fun to say, "This is a Jackrabbit board, we're D1 now, you aren't.  Get over it.  We don't play you anymore.  Why don't you go back to the USD board.  Oh yea, you don't have one." ;D

Comment

Originally posted by SDsportsFan

Are you saying that I'm disrespecting SDSU because I care about UNO's recruiting class? :-/ If you are so worried about your time and don't care about UNO's recruiting class then don't click on this thread and quit reading the posts in this thread. If UNO is signing some players that I think we should have got then I want to hear about it, is that alright with you Doc.
                          My opinion, take it for what its worth.  You spend more of your time whining about what you want and worrying about what other institutions are doing than I find necessary or productive.  What good does it do to voice your disdain about UNO's recruiting class vs ours?  How does this help the cause at SDSU?  Why would you play into Mavs psychology?  I suspect its an issue we don't want to address here.  Fact, SDSU has singed 19 student athletes to play at the DI level.  UNO has signed the student athletes they wanted to play DII football.  Your whining, lamenting, or whatever you want to call it doesn't change any of this.  Your retort?

Comment

I listened to Stig on Kwsn this afternoon and the hard reality is we have 42 scholarships and its his responsiblity to determine how much they budget for each position based on need. He indicated they had a taylor made for SDSU offensive lineman from Wisconsin and at the last minute Western Michigan came in and offered a full ride and boom SDSU who? There is so much to this we don't know or understand without being in the war room. He indicated our priority this year was offensive lineman and linebacker and based on the people we got that need was addressed. He was really high on the linebackers we got out of Arizona.

Comment

My opinion, take it for what its worth.  You spend more of your time whining about what you want and worrying about what other institutions are doing than I find necessary or productive.  What good does it do to voice your disdain about UNO's recruiting class vs ours?  How does this help the cause at SDSU?  Why would you play into Mavs psychology?  I suspect its an issue we don't want to address here.  Fact, SDSU has singed 19 student athletes to play at the DI level.  UNO has signed the student athletes they wanted to play DII football.  Your whining, lamenting, or whatever you want to call it doesn't change any of this.  Your retort?
                              I appreciate you taking an interest in how I spend my time, I didn't know you cared so much. I'm not posting about UNO recruits but if they are getting players that I feel we should get then I am interested in hearing abou it. Obviously you are as well as you keep reading the threads dealing with it. No, me being interested in who they recruited is going to change the fact that they didn't sign with SDSU, as you pointed out, but does that mean I can't comment on it. Are we only supposed to comment on things that we can change? Do you think everytime that you complain about our mens basketball team not being able to defend the 3 pointer that it will change the way we play defense.
                              I guess nobody should post anything about a recruit that considered SDSU but signed with someone else, since there is no use whining about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X