Southwest Minnesota State by 38??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southwest Minnesota State by 38??

I did a double take when I saw the score. There comes a point when it is not fun to pile on anymore. I have reached that point, so I will not run any smack at you rabbitts. Part of the reason that I won't is that I am not hearing any excuses from you guys. You guys know you are at a low point and now don't hide that fact. I have always liked Coach Nagy and know this has to be painful for him. There could not have been a worse time for this team to struggle. Even I did not want you to fall this far. I sincerely hope it gets better.

Mavs#1

Re: Southwest Minnesota State by 38??

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
    There could not have been a worse time for this team to struggle.

Mavs#1
    I am not sure if you are talking about this time of the season or this season as a whole.  If you are talking about this time of the season I would agree.  It would be nice if by now some of the yonger players were coming along.  If this team was showing signs of improvment rather then falling back.  Building towards next season, but they are not.

If you are talking about this season as a whole, I would have to disagree.  If we were going to have a rebuilding year with a total bummer of a season, this is the season to do it.

It is our first in D-I and everyone expected it to be bad (maybe not this bad, but bad).  It would have been far worse to have our last season in D-II go this way.  We are not eligible to go anywhere post season wise this season.  Starting next year we will be eligible for the NIT (don't get me wrong at this point I don't see us in the NIT next season, but it is a possibility) and in '08-'09 we will be eligible for the NCAA Tourney so there could be far worse times to have this kind of season.

Go State!  ;D

P.S. As ugly as this season has been we did pick up our first 2 D-I wins already.  It took UNC a season and a half to win a their first D-I game and NDSU is still looking for theirs (although if our boys don't shape up it could happen on the last game of the season).

Comment

I did a double take when I saw the score. There comes a point when it is not fun to pile on anymore. I have reached that point, so I will not run any smack at you rabbitts. Part of the reason that I won't is that I am not hearing any excuses from you guys. You guys know you are at a low point and now don't hide that fact. I have always liked Coach Nagy and know this has to be painful for him. There could not have been a worse time for this team to struggle. Even I did not want you to fall this far. I sincerely hope it gets better.

Mavs#1
      Mav1;
      A happy Mike "Fricken" Nelke day to you and thanks for not piling on. Its bad!!!!

Comment

Mavs#1
        Any time is a bad time for a Jackrabbit basketball team to struggle. It's hard to deal with, but every year is a new start. We have a good coach and some good players coming back and apparently the redshirts are very good. So it'll get better.

Big games for UNO this weekend and a good chance to climb the regional rankings with a win at home against Mankato. Good luck!

Comment

This was posted on another fan board. Not trying to stir the pot just curious what your response to this would be?

I think things will get worse next year for the SDSU men. They have a team that seriously can't cut it against D2 teams right now, and against D1 teams next year things will only, obviously, be that much more difficult about 3/4 of the time. And they really don't have much help on the way for next year. Their guards are terrible. Wenig, the best shooter in the program, left school. They are redshirting 2 FR, one, Andre Gilbert, is a great athlete but plays like he is at Rucker Park and doesn't play within the system. The other, Matt Caldwell, is a pretty good player who may be stuck as a tweener guard, too short for the 2 yet not exactly having the skills for the point. They have signed 2 6-10 guys early, but their bodies make Kevin Garnett look like the world's strongest man, each weighing about 200, so they cannot be counted on for next year either. They need JUCO guys, but recruiting JUCOs at the D1 and D2 levels are completely different and they would have to settle for ones that are not that skilled and talented. Signs point to things getting worse before they get better IMO.

Comment

Sounds like a really smart guy.  What NCAA D-I team is he coaching?  :

I will put my faith in the Winningest Coach in SDSU history.  The man with over 216 College wins and a winning percentage of 74.4%.  The man who has lead 8 of his 9 Jackrabbit teams to the post season.

SDSU Men's Basketball Head Coach Scott Nagy  8)

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Jacks fans what would you consider better? With a full D1 schedule next year to go along with a pretty young team it may be tough to really improve on this year. As a Bison fan I expect NDSU to win between 6 and 11 games next year, the team will be young and will obviosly have it's fair share of ups and downs but what Miles has seemed to do is keep his team on track and playing hard every night which should be a good example for these young guys redshirting this year. And as long as those young guys play as hard as the seniors played this year I will be happy. So Jacks fans what would you consider an improvement over this years team? What are your expectations?

Comment

Fargobison

I expect no more than what you are expecting out of the Bison. If you dont think Nagy pushes the guys in practice, I suggest you come down and watch practice.
                During the games, we have fallen apart because of the lack of leadership. Geiver, Hokanson and Dejong, have been role players coming off the bench, and they have not given a whole lot of thought of being a leader and a starter, which they found themselves in this year.

I think Beran and Green playing as true freshman last year did not think of themselves as leaders either, and this coming season, more pressure will there to lead.

No I dont see a 20 win season, but I see a more competitive team developing. With Wenig not coming back, we had one more scholarship and that could be a Juco, but kind of doubt it.

Comment

D2Football.com :: D2Football.com Message Board
                  D2Football.com Forum

Topic: Southwest blows out the bunnies < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

I expected SDSU to be bad this year, but they're worse than anyone could possibly have envisioned. I doubt they'll stay this inept for too long, but it's still surprising how the fans have jumped off the bandwagon in Brookings. I figured a majority of the people who historically attended the games would continue to go for awhile despite the poor home schedule and poorer team, but clearly that's not the case as attendance has taken a big nosedive.

I think the reason the attendence is so low is that all the rabbitt fans have checked themselves into the state mental hospital and are unable to attend the games. If this keeps up they might be kissing Roger Thomas's you know what to get back in the NCC.

Marlon Briscoe

Quote (UNO Rules @ Feb. 08 2005,2:36)
                  I think the reason the attendence is so low is that all the rabbitt fans have checked themselves into the state mental hospital and are unable to attend the games. If this keeps up they might be kissing Roger Thomas you know what to get back in the NCC.

I don't think SDSU would ever come back to the NCC or DII.

Here is our brilliant D1 KNOW IT ALL, guess what he is a smart@ss from UND.
                  Corella

Group: Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  I think things will get worse next year for the SDSU men. They have a team that seriously can't cut it against D2 teams right now, and against D1 teams next year things will only, obviously, be that much more difficult about 3/4 of the time. And they really don't have much help on the way for next year. Their guards are terrible. Wenig, the best shooter in the program, left school. They are redshirting 2 FR, one, Andre Gilbert, is a great athlete but plays like he is at Rucker Park and doesn't play within the system. The other, Matt Caldwell, is a pretty good player who may be stuck as a tweener guard, too short for the 2 yet not exactly having the skills for the point. They have signed 2 6-10 guys early, but their bodies make Kevin Garnett look like the world's strongest man, each weighing about 200, so they cannot be counted on for next year either. They need JUCO guys, but recruiting JUCOs at the D1 and D2 levels are completely different and they would have to settle for ones that are not that skilled and talented. Signs point to things getting worse before they get better IMO.

--------------
                  Sioux Fan
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALSO OVER ON D2FOOTBALL, Maverick No 1 Is just plain Mavman overthere.
                  mavman
                  HERE IS HOW HE REPLIED TO CORELLA
                  Group: Members

I agree 100 percent with Corella. Things will get worse in men's bb and probably worse in fb, too at sdsu. But if you ever go on the sdsu fan site those nuts think the good times are going to roll sooner rather than later. A bunch of dreamers on that site but then I always wanted to a be an nfl qb,too. We all need our dreams-I guess.

Comment

Mav no 1 was not going to pile on well, that statement has about as much value as a wood nickel, a cup of coffee and anything else. Bring back Mike Fricken Nelke.

Comment

SDSU fan

You are wrong about me being mavman. I am UNO Rules. Yes, I did make the remark about your attendence but it is bad. My point is that you have some questions marks coming into next season. Your schedule will get much tougher. Sure you have some of these games at home but Frost Arena is not a great home court advantage unless you have a good team to back it up. I said that I hope things get better and I meant that. That is not saying that I think things will get better. My take is that they will get better but not to the extent many of you think they will.

Mavs #1

Comment

Another post from the board. Brings up some interesting points. I agree that Nagy is an awesome coach but he is not God.

The rabbits are in a lot of trouble next year, if they think this year is bad just wait until they have to face a full D1 schedule next year. D1 teams every night with no NAIA or D2 teams to give them a break. I wonder what the score will be at the Manhattan game at Frost next year, they can't even compete with SWMS how are they going to hang with Manhattan. It could be another three years until things start to get better.

But they would still tell you that Nagy is the greatest coach in the world and will turn things around and make them all better next year. What is better, a 6 win season next year is most likely going to be a lot tougher since it is all D1 and for a team struggling to compete with Wayne St or SWMS you have to wonder if things will get worse. Nagy is good but he is not god, it may take a miracle for them to be any better next season.

Comment

I think it's extremely amusing that SDSU is SOOOOOO important to these schools that will never see them again on the court. I understand being an interested observer, but when D2football fan boards are focusing on our basketball team I think it's gone beyond being an interested observer. What is the hook? What is the draw?

These same schools don't fill up message boards with the highs and lows of U of Minn or Neb. If UNO or UND had gone D1 and SDSU was still D2, I'm pretty sure I would be interested in their progress. I know I rooted for UND to win the D2 championship a couple years ago because it validated the NCC and in a round about way, SDSU. But, I can promise you I wouldn't waste my valuable time searching for message boards with a burning need to see them fail, if only for the opportunity to rub it in there faces.

My last question would be why do these same caustic minded D2 fans find it so amazing that the SDSU fans on the SDSU message board would try to see their school's future through rose colored glasses? Is that such a shock? Those people perplex me.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Milwaukee Rabbitt,

If you think I am obsessed with the rabbitts you are wrong. As a huge Creighton fan I spend a lot of time on valleytalk.net and the bluejay message board. I have way more posts over there than I do here. I am also a huge Nebraska football fan. How do you think I got some of the rivals stuff on the UNO kids that signed.
                            I followed Nebraska recruiting class on a daily basis and spend some time on their boards as well. If your are accusing me of being a fan board junkie, I am guility as charged, but I am not obessed with what happens with the rabbitts. For me it is the interest in how your D1 move goes because UNO is going to have to make that decision in the near future.
                            To spin this the other way why do I see rabbitt fans on D2 football and basketball boards. If they didn't care about D2 anymore, why do they go there?
                            Finally about your rose colored glasses comment. I understand that fans will most of the time look at the bright side of things. But you rabbitt fans make Tony Robbins look like a pessimist.

Mavs #1

Comment

Those with SDSU envy,

Don't mistake excitement about progress as "dreaming" or being "unrealistic". Stop worrying so much about others and focus on your own good fortunes and the great potential ahead at UNO and institutions like it. Its really only those who are unsatisfied with their own accomplishments (or lack of) that find time to diparage the performance of others. The existance of those who continue to do so is a sad one. Even worse yet, they try to disguise is as "smack". Losers each and everyone, pity is again the word.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X