We beat you again..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We beat you again..........

First we beat you spank you bad twice in swimming including winning your own invitational. Then we shut you out in soccer in your own backyard. Now we shut you out in Tennis for the second straight year?? I am no tennis expert although I do play, but getting shutout in tennis would be comparable to losing in basketball by 38 points. Did not these other sports get the memo that you were going D1. Quit losing to us D2 schools. I know you will say that you do not care but my point is that you should. You guys have this attitude that we are D1 and you are not. Well start acting like it and more importantly start playing like it!!!!!

Mavs Shut Out Jackrabbits
    Mavs Improve to 3-2

The UNO tennis team earned their second shutout this season with a 9-0 victory over South Dakota State Friday night at Hanscom Park.

The Mavs are now 2-0 all time against the Jackrabbits, with UNO posting shutouts on both occasions.

The Mavericks, now 3-2, will host Wichita State next Friday night at Hanscom Park in a 6:30 dual.

Single Results
    1) Maggie Russell, UNO, defeated Kristine Hagedom, 6-0 6-0
    2) Sarah Huls, UNO, defeated Katie Wylie, 6-3, 6-2
    3) Pam Le, UNO, defeated Jenny Sondreal, 6-1, 6-0
    4) Elizabeth Glogowski, UNO , defeated Molly Dammann, 6-4, 6-1
    5) Katie Spahn, UNO, defeated Nicole Siebrasse, 6-2, 6-2
    6) Kylie Roe, UNO, defeated Tricia Langholdt, 7-5,6-0

Doubles Results
    1) Lindsay Henjum-Huls, UNO,defeated Hagedom-Wylie, 8-5
    2) Glogowski-Russell,UNO, defeated Sondreal-Dammann, 8-3
    3) Sarah Bredfeldt-Jenny Miller, UNO, defeated Siebrasse-Langholdt, 8-4

Re: We beat you again..........

I know it is hard having your school exist in obscurity. I can only imagine what it is like to have the 4th or 5th most popular school in your own state, but what really must suck is being the second best school in your own town.

So enjoy your soccer, tennis, and especailly swimming wins. I can see how very important they are to little school fans like yourself. Years from know you will tell your grandchildren of the year that little UNO beat D-I SDSU in swimming. I am sure it made your weekend.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
      I know it is hard having your school exist in obscurity.  I can only imagine what it is like to have the 4th or 5th most popular school in your own state, but what really must suck is being the second best school in your own town.

So enjoy your soccer, tennis, and especailly swimming wins.  I can see how very important they are to little school fans like yourself.  Years from know you will tell your grandchildren of the year that little UNO beat D-I SDSU in swimming.   I am sure it made your weekend.

Go State!  ;D
      It sucks that my State's biggest University and our only DI University is getting dominated in every head to head competition with Nebraska's 4th or 5th most popular university. Hopefully years from now I'll be able to tell my grandchildren that SDSU beat UNO in something, while SDSU was DI. I may be a USD fan but I don't like seeing DII schools from Nebraska dominate SD's only DI university.

Comment

Sports_buff,

So let me get this straight you plan on living vicariously through UNO's BIG wins (lots of sarcasm) in Women's swimming, Women's tennis, and Women's Soccer. Wow that is sad. :'(

You would be better off telling your grandchildren stories how USD didn't have the stones to play the States only D-I University in football or basketball when they had the chance.

At least Augie had enough guts to come to Brookings and take a beating.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff

It sucks that my State's biggest University and our only DI University is getting dominated in every head to head competition with Nebraska's 4th or 5th most popular university.  Hopefully years from now I'll be able to tell my grandchildren that SDSU beat UNO in something, while SDSU was DI.  I may be a USD fan but I don't like seeing DII schools from Nebraska dominate SD's only DI university.
          Buff, I would worry more about how your going to maintain and grow your own fan base playing the likes of Upper Iowa and Peru State while SDSU hosts USC and Butler. I would suspect your Grandchildren will end up going to SDSU enjoying life at the State's largest and only DI university.

Comment

Sports_buff,

I must say I find it refreshing to see a USD fan with such interest in Women’s sports.  If only your administration had shown the same interest USD would not have been sued for Title IX violations.  Who knows maybe USD would still have a baseball team.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

It sucks that ... blah, blah, blah
              No, what sucks, sports_puff, would be having anything to do with usd, period.
              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

UNO swimmers end North Dakota reign

Throughout the North Central Conference Championships, the seniors on the University of Nebraska at Omaha swimming and diving team kept their team in the conference race.

But it was a freshman who sealed the biggest upset in NCC history for the Mavericks. Jessica Hessel's NCC-record time in the 200-yard butterfly Saturday night ensured UNO would finish ahead of North Dakota barring a disqualification in the 400 freestyle relay. The Mavericks finished third in the relay and ended the Fighting Sioux's 23-year conference winning streak.

"Without North Dakota, we never would have risen this high," UNO Coach Todd Samland said. "But I'm so proud of our team."

UNO scored 1,286 points to North Dakota's 1,266.5. North Dakota won the men's championship 1,590-1,127.5 over second-place South Dakota. The Fighting Sioux men's team has won six straight and 20 of the past 22 championships.

The Mavericks took the lead after the 200 breaststroke, but North Dakota kept it within 25 points for the final two events, the 200 butterfly and the 400 freestyle relay.

Hessel's time of 2:07.58 in the 200 fly broke a 2003 NCC record of 2:07.96. She beat North Dakota's Sara Richmire, one of the best in Division II. Hessel also qualified for nationals in the event.

"Sara's great, but she had never broken that record, and Jessica did," Samland said.

Hessel, from Wichita, Kan., was recruited by the Fighting Sioux.

"They have a lot of traditions, but being able to make the tradition with UNO, it's even better," Hessel said.

Senior Veronica Barna had the Mavericks' other individual victory Saturday at the HPER pool on UNO's campus, winning the 1,650 freestyle, or mile, in 17:45.81. Barna finished ahead of North Dakota's Lauren Mickelson, a three-year nemesis for her.

"I saw her teammates cheering, so I knew she was coming, but I was not going to let her win," Barna said. "Friday night, Todd said, there's no diving tomorrow, so they have to outswim us. We didn't let them."

Other top-six finishers for the Mavericks included sophomore Megan Jamieson (fifth in the 1,650 freestyle), junior Courtney Petersen (third in the 200 backstroke), sophomore Lisa Wemhoff (third in the 100 freestyle), senior Molly Connolly (fourth in the 100 freestyle), senior Ashley Renshaw (second in the 200 breaststroke) and senior Katie Liebmann (fifth in the 200 butterfly).

North Dakota's Rodrigo Ferreira broke his own NCC record in the 100 freestyle, swimming 44.84. Ferreira, from Juiz de Fora, Brazil, also won the 200 backstroke.

After the competition, NCC awards were announced. UNO senior Sarah Clark won NCC Swimmer of the Year, junior Jamie Grogan won NCC Diver of the Year and Samland won NCC Coach of the Year.

Ten UNO swimmers and two divers qualified for nationals: Barna, Clark, Connolly, Hessel, Liebmann, Petersen, Renshaw, Bridgette Schram, Wemhoff, Martina Zamecnik, Grogan and Sheena Kafka. Omahans Jill Smolczyk of South Dakota and Zach Hawley of North Dakota qualified in 1-meter and 3-meter diving.

Meet results:

WOMEN
                • Team scoring: UNO 1,286, North Dakota 1,2661/2, St. Cloud State 8551/2, South Dakota 5791/2, Minnesota State (Mankato) 4961/2, Minnesota State (Moorhead) 227, Colorado School of Mines 205, Metro State (Denver) 8.
                • Individual champion: 1650 yard freestyle: Veronica Barna, UNO, 18:24.39. 200 backstroke: Jenny Bachmeier, North Dakota, 2:07.12. 100 freestyle: Jackie Vieau, St. Cloud St., 52.97. 200 breaststroke: Katrina Sandeberg, UNO, 2:23.90. 200 butterfly: Jessica Hessel, UNO, 2:08.80. 400 freestyle relay

Comment

Sports_buff,

So let me get this straight you plan on living vicariously through UNO's BIG wins (lots of sarcasm) in Women's swimming, Women's tennis, and Women's Soccer.  Wow that is sad.  :'(

You would be better off telling your grandchildren stories how USD didn't have the stones to play the States only D-I University in football or basketball when they had the chance.

At least Augie had enough guts to come to Brookings and take a beating.

Go State!  ;D
                  I'm hardly living vicariously through UNO whipping SDSU. I don't know how you could interpret what I said to mean anything like that. I said I was upset and embarrassed that UNO was whipping SD's only DI university in every sport they compete in. I don't like to see that happen. What so sad about that? I would think you would be embarrassed about that as well.
                  I will tell my grandchildren how SDSU didn't have the stones to sign a home and home with USD, they were too scared to play us in the Dome. After seeing both men's teams play this year I can see why SDSU was too scared to sign a home and home. If Southwest beat you by 38 I would hate to see what USD would do to you.

Comment

Sports_buff,

I must say I find it refreshing to see a USD fan with such interest in Women’s sports.  If only your administration had shown the same interest USD would not have been sued for Title IX violations.  Who knows maybe USD would still have a baseball team.

Go State!  ;D
                    If faced with a choice of cutting the baseball team or wasting millions of dollars to get a women's equestrian team I would cut the baseball team in a second. ;D

Comment

I will tell my grandchildren how SDSU didn't have the stones to sign a home and home with USD, . . .
                      Don't forget to tell them that D-I schools don't sign home and homes with D-II schools. :

Go State! ;D

Comment

If faced with a choice of cutting the baseball team or wasting millions of dollars to get a women's equestrian team I would cut the baseball team in a second. ;D

You guys did both. Wasted Millions of dollars because you were sued and lost, and still had to drop baseball. Nice move. :

Go State! ;D

Comment

You guys did both.  Wasted Millions of dollars because you were sued and lost, and still had to drop baseball.  Nice move.  :

Go State!  ;D  
                          Are you referring to the lawsuit that USD lost for firing the volleyball coach who didn't win a conference game in 2 years?

Comment

It was more than the lawsuit.  The law suit brought light to the whole pathetic situation at USD. You had a committee down there that studied the Title IX situation for months and one of their recommendations was to drop Baseball.  Also to bring men and women scholaries in line they forced to add more women scholarships, and your student newspaper made it sound like it was some new idea, when in reality, the NCAA was about to kick USD'S @ss for not being in compliance.

Sports Bluff, for being such a loyal USD fan you dont seem to follow everything that goes down on there.  I guess its SDSU envy that distracts you. ;D ;D

Comment

All we need to know about duff is summarized in this statement. Not only is he about not providing more opportunities he is about taking them away. Enough said?
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X