PDA

View Full Version : UND vs USD

gojacksgo
02-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Just saw that USD/UND tonight is on KELO. Why would they televise that game, but not SDSU/NDSU. Is it because of the off year the men are having?

JackTwice
02-19-2005, 03:52 PM
The game is being billed as the battle of the dakota's. (the second tier dakota's) If you want to spend your time watching it I bet you will see a 3 and a half hour commercial for USD. I think we could consider KELO USD's station. If anyone remembers back to last year's SDSU/USD game down at the dome the broadcast was heavily slanted toward USD. I won't even claim to know the specifics but my guess would be that USD has paid some fee to have the game broadcast.

jackmd
02-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Don't take this wrong, I think its a good thing that some college games are being televised in SD even if its not SDSU. I suspect the first televised games featuring SDSU will be away games.

OK_Jackrabbit
02-20-2005, 05:45 AM
I'm pretty sure the reason that game was televised was that USD paid to have it happen. KELO wouldn't do it unless there was money in it. Last year's SDSU/USD game was a commercial for USD, because USD was the main sponsor.

Typical USD: Create an illusion of importance by unwisely spending money. Reminds me of their scoreboard deal (Daktronics makes all the money on advertising) versus ours (we keep the money.) It took SDSU longer to get the scoreboard because we did it right and with the long-term welfare of the program in mind. Sure, SDSU could spend a bunch of money and get a game on KELO. What would be the benefit? More kids coming to SDSU? They're already coming in larger numbers than to USD.

90Jackrabbit
02-20-2005, 06:12 AM
I missed last nights game on KELO, I guess I was to busy watching this years Jackrabbit opponent UW Milwaukee play Hawaii on ESPN2.

sports_buff
02-20-2005, 12:08 PM
I missed last nights game on KELO, I guess I was to busy watching this years Jackrabbit opponent UW Milwaukee play Hawaii on ESPN2.

Since you missed it let me fill you in. USD put on another show last night, destroying a conference leader for the third time in a row. Mueller put on another show. You should be glad that Kelo land hasn't put on any SDSU games this year, you don't want everyone to see how bad you are this year, do you? ;)
Anyone who fesses up to watching the game last night would have to admit that USD looked pretty good.

coyotefanatic
02-20-2005, 12:10 PM
KELO paid USD to broadcast the game, USD did not pay to have it broadcast. Furthermore, part of the deal stipulated that USD's corporate sponsors be included in the broadcast. So it was not unwise spending by USD.

rabbit85
02-20-2005, 12:47 PM
KELO paid USD to broadcast the game, USD did not pay to have it broadcast. Furthermore, part of the deal stipulated that USD's corporate sponsors be included in the broadcast. So it was not unwise spending by USD.

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that. Are you saying that KELO thought there would be soooo much interest in a USD/UND game that they both payed USD and let USD dictate where a lot of their commercial time (their income source) was going to get used? No way in hell. USD probably payed Kelo for the broadcast, and KELO offered a dicounted rate to USD's sponsors to advertise during the game.

gojacksgo
02-20-2005, 02:00 PM
USD put on another show last night, destroying a conference leader for the third time in a row. Mueller put on another show.

I wouldn't call beating a team on a buzzer beater destroying them. You did crush UND last night, but the Mankato game was not you destroying them.

JACKGUYII
02-20-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm sure Mueller displayed his usual level of lack of sportsmanship for the whole state to see on tv.

SiouxFallsJack
02-20-2005, 04:03 PM
With UND being the conference leader, it shows how far the NCC has fallen with the two best institutions move to DI. Even with our struggles this season, we could have beaten UND by 20.

Listening to the game last night, I casn honestly say Culhane is not the worst announcer I have ever heard. I was suprised that the attendance was 5000, by the crowd noise I would have guessed closer to 500.

OK_Jackrabbit
02-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Well I would take your word for it, except that a friend of mine works at KELO and says it was the other way around.

coyotefanatic
02-20-2005, 06:13 PM
I have friends in the administration at USD and have been told that it was KELO paying for the broadcast. He said, He said. I don't think that we can really resolve which is true and which is not. The difference between radio being paid to broadcast games at the DII and many time even the DI level is that it is a pride factor for those institutions to have every game available to their alumni. Television is a bit different because the University holds more leverage in those kinds of contracts. Plus, it is a similar theory to blackouts in some major markets. If the game is on TV then you risk losing some of the gate receipt.

OK_Jackrabbit
02-20-2005, 06:26 PM
I have friends in the administration at USD and have been told that it was KELO paying for the broadcast. He said, He said. I don't think that we can really resolve which is true and which is not. The difference between radio being paid to broadcast games at the DII and many time even the DI level is that it is a pride factor for those institutions to have every game available to their alumni. Television is a bit different because the University holds more leverage in those kinds of contracts. Plus, it is a similar theory to blackouts in some major markets. If the game is on TV then you risk losing some of the gate receipt.
You're right. One of our sources could well be full of crap and there's no real way for us as mere SDSU bulletin board discussants to determine which one. If it is true that KELO paid for the broadcast, it is fair to ask why, and also to ask why they haven't done the same for SDSU. Furthermore, it would be fair to complain when KELO's license comes up for renewal. Remember, we own the airwaves and KELO just borrows them.

bisonguy
02-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Well I would take your word for it, except that a friend of mine works at KELO and says it was the other way around.

That would be one of the worst negotiated media contracts for a university. NDSU was paid $100k/yr. by The Forum/WDAY for it's media contract, which included televising one road football game, one women's BB game,a men's BB game, and the coaches' shows. NDSU renegotiated their media deal, as they wanted content control on both of the coaches' TV shows. NDSU is now paid ~86k, and gets the advertising revenue from the commercials during the shows.

OK_Jackrabbit
02-20-2005, 06:42 PM
That would be one of the worst negotiated media contracts for a university. NDSU was paid $100k/yr. by The Forum/WDAY for it's media contract, which included televising one road football game, one women's BB game,a men's BB game, and the coaches' shows. NDSU renegotiated their media deal, as they wanted content control on both of the coaches' TV shows. NDSU is now paid ~86k, and gets the advertising revenue from the commercials during the shows.

Context is useful here: NDSU is in Fargo, as is WDAY, and Bison football is a much, much bigger deal in NoDak than USD basketball is in SoDak. See any luxury boxes in the DakotaDome? Nope. So why would you even imagine that there is any correlation betwee NDSU's $100k television contract and whatever USD and KELO worked out? It's not a good comparison at all. The only thing I can imagine is that KELO is trying to solidify things in the southern part of the state where it competes with Sioux City television (actually closer to Vermillion than Sioux Falls is).

bisonguy
02-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the info.

sports_buff
02-20-2005, 08:35 PM
Context is useful here: NDSU is in Fargo, as is WDAY, and Bison football is a much, much bigger deal in NoDak than USD basketball is in SoDak. See any luxury boxes in the DakotaDome? Nope. So why would you even imagine that there is any correlation betwee NDSU's $100k television contract and whatever USD and KELO worked out? It's not a good comparison at all. The only thing I can imagine is that KELO is trying to solidify things in the southern part of the state where it competes with Sioux City television (actually closer to Vermillion than Sioux Falls is).

USD basketball might not be as big of a deal as NDSU football but we might also be talking less than $100,000 as well. Nobody said USD got paid that much, only that they got paid.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
02-21-2005, 11:03 AM
How are the USD faithful reacting to this big win? Anyone take a look at their message board to hear how the Yotes are barking? Just wondering. Their fan message board must be going crazy.

sports_buff
02-21-2005, 12:17 PM
How are the USD faithful reacting to this big win? Anyone take a look at their message board to hear how the Yotes are barking? Just wondering. Their fan message board must be going crazy.

Big wins are really nothing new for the Yotes this year so my guess is the fan board really isn't going that crazy at all. We expect to win those games. I understand that your fan board would be going crazy after a win like that, but we've come to expect it at USD.

jackmd
02-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Big wins are really nothing new for the Yotes this year so my guess is the fan board really isn't going that crazy at all. We expect to win those games. I understand that your fan board would be going crazy after a win like that, but we've come to expect it at USD.

Now I know how you survive as a yote fan, you have a sense of humor.

The only "big" wins USD ever had were over SDSU. The best team in the NCC left after last year so any win this year is tempered by that fact. Another fact, using USD and fan together is a contradiction. Sports are a casual occurence for almost all associated with USD, even the athletes.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
02-21-2005, 02:08 PM

I was attempting to be sarcastic. I was attempting to point out that the recent Yotes win was met with the same general sense of apathy that encompasses most USD supporters. I actually respect the fact that sports_buff comes on this message board to put in a word or two about USD athletics. At least you care about USD enough to find some venue to express it. On the Argus message board there are more NSU fans than USD.

sports_buff
02-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Now I know how you survive as a yote fan, you have a sense of humor.

The only "big" wins USD ever had were over SDSU. The best team in the NCC left after last year so any win this year is tempered by that fact. Another fact, using USD and fan together is a contradiction. Sports are a casual occurence for almost all associated with USD, even the athletes.
Are you saying NDSU was the best team in the NCC?
The last three wins for USD were all big. Actually with such a tight race in the NCC all wins are big this year, there is no margin for error. I would hardly say USD's only big wins have been over SDSU. You act like we're Augie where we are just looking to salvage a season with a win over a rival. USD went to 2 Elite 8's in the mid 1990's and won 3 straight NCC titles at the end of the 90's into the current decade. There were a lot of big wins along the way that didn't include SDSU.
The fan support has actually been pretty good lately. There were over 5,000 there on Saturday night and over 4,000 in each game the weekend before. Obviously it's not close to what we would draw when we played State, but it's not too bad.
As far as NSU having more fans on the Argus message board, I haven't been on there to see if thats the truth. But I will say that NSU draws pretty good for basketball so that wouldn't shock me if thats the case. They get good fan support.

Rabbitlivinginverm
02-22-2005, 09:36 AM
Hey buff,

Serious question here...who do you think will win a NC first, SDSU or USD? I would venture to say that SDSU has as good a shot as USD.

By the way, I watched the women's game and the first half of the men's game. The women's game was pretty good, the men's was absoulutely horrible to watch! What a bore! USD played well but holy crap that was a boring game. I'm not sure if it was USD's defense or just plain bad shooting by UND, but that was an awful game to watch. I actually chose to continue packing all the crap in our apartment over watching the game (my fiance allowed me to watch the men's game, she's an avid Women's basketball fan and loves to watch UND women play--didn't have a problem getting to watch that one).

sports_buff
02-22-2005, 10:01 AM
[quote author=Rabbitlivinginverm link=board=Smack;num=1108851206;start=15#23 date=02/22/05 at 10:36:28]Hey buff,

Serious question here...who do you think will win a NC first, SDSU or USD? I would venture to say that SDSU has as good a shot as USD.

By the way, I watched the women's game and the first half of the men's game. The women's game was pretty good, the men's was absoulutely horrible to watch! What a bore! USD played well but holy crap that was a boring game. I'm not sure if it was USD's defense or just plain bad shooting by UND, but that was an awful game to watch. quote]

Do you honestly think that SDSU might win a National Title before USD? I honestly don't think so. When you say they have as good of a shot as USD, do you say that because you think neither school has any shot. I would tend to agree with you more there than I would if you think SDSU has a shot at winning a national title. Not to say that I don't think USD will ever win another national title, but I would be able to understand it if you didn't think they would. Are you talking basketball here, or any sport in general? You are talking a team title, aren't you? I don't know anything about equestrian, SDSU could have the best team in the nation for all I know, so I hope you are not referring to that.

I'm not even sure you are serious in what you said, but there is a long answer to your question. Basically I do think that USD will win a national championship before SDSU.

As far as whether UND shot that poorly or did USD play that good of defense, I would actually say that might have been USD's defense. I realize that USD teams normally try to outscore you, but they have been playing good defense as of late. I'm sure UND had an off night shooting as well.

gojacksgo
02-22-2005, 11:00 PM
If Kelo paid for that broadcast, then why would they have aired so many USD commercials and between games, they aired a special on USD. Like someone said, it was an infomercial for USD - if they got paid for it too, that would really surprise me. They had to have paid for that.

SDSUFAN
02-23-2005, 05:26 AM
I would agree with Gojacksgo, the commericals of television of any sort tells who pays. The commericals sell soap. Its that simple, is it not Mike H?

If KELO paid USD, then they would have sold their commericals to someone else in order to recoup the paid fee to USD. That does not appear to be the facts here. BTW, I did not tune in the game since I was out of area, but dont regret not watching that Arrogant mueller play for his final time in the dome. Mueller will soon to be a figment of everyones imagination.

OK_Jackrabbit
02-23-2005, 05:51 AM
If KELO 'paid' anything to broadcast the game, they probably paid not money, but commercial time. That's the capital they have available to spend and would explain why the entire broadcast was a USD commercial.