Fan support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan support

Why do you all knock UNC because of our small fan support? It has do with more of our pathetic city then it does with UNC itself. We have good, strong athletics so why say we don't deserve to be in the Big Sky? Please, go ahead and make fun of Greeley, I'll even jump in with you. However, it's disrespectful of UNC when you knock them. There is a saying here in Colorado: There is Greeley, then there is UNC. Once again, make fun of Greeley all you want. But UNC does not deserve some of the comments that I've seen on this message board. It certainly deserves as a look from the BSC.

Re: Fan support

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
    Why do you all knock UNC because of our small fan support?  It has do with more of our pathetic city then it does with UNC itself.  We have good, strong athletics so why say we don't deserve to be in the Big Sky?  Please, go ahead and make fun of Greeley, I'll even jump in with you. However, it's disrespectful of UNC when you knock them.  There is a saying here in Colorado:  There is Greeley, then there is UNC.  Once again, make fun of Greeley all you want.  But UNC does not deserve some of the comments that I've seen on this message board. It certainly deserves as a look from the BSC.
    I'll respectfully disagree.  UNC doesn't even carry the sports that the BSC requires.  Are you proposing that UNC is independent of Greeley?
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Why do you all knock UNC because of our small fan support? It has do with more of our pathetic city then it does with UNC itself. We have good, strong athletics so why say we don't deserve to be in the Big Sky? Please, go ahead and make fun of Greeley, I'll even jump in with you. However, it's disrespectful of UNC when you knock them. There is a saying here in Colorado: There is Greeley, then there is UNC. Once again, make fun of Greeley all you want. But UNC does not deserve some of the comments that I've seen on this message board. It certainly deserves as a look from the BSC.

Do you even know what you are saying half the time? One post you state that UNC has a much richer tradition than SDSU and now you are talking about your poor fan base. UNC has a poor fan base - always will. If it makes you feel better, you can blame it on Greeley. Brookings is a much smaller community than Greeley - no one is complaining about Brookings.

Good luck in the Big Sky but the Big Sky won't help your crowds. You can talk about a rich tradition all you want but UNC is years and thousands of fans away from a rich tradition.

Comment

Most football fans here in Colorado are bandwagon fans. They go with the flow if any football team is winning. I think being in the Big Sky will help with getting more fans in the door. It's one of the best conferences in Division 1aa. I know it's just jelousy speaking when you knock UNC. So keep on knocking.

Comment

Over on Bisonville another UNC fan (or maybe it is you, I don't know) posted:

http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/ya...num=1107223780

uncfan wrote:

"I am praying that the BSC will take us in.  However I don't think they will.  I would be fairly suprised if the accepted us.  There a mainly three reason why I don't think they will take us. First, our facilties suck and second, we have a poor fan base and last: Greeley sucks.  However if they focus on academics and athletic achievement I think we they will take UNC.  Those two things are our only chances of getting in."

If this is what UNC fans think and post why get upset when Jackrabbit fans do the same.  Best of luck on your quest to join the Big Sky (although I don't think you need it, Fullerton loves the Big Markets and you are close enough to Denver, so I think you are in), and I am looking forward to watching your Bears take another beating when you come to Coughlin-Alumni next fall.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

89rabbit. If you call a game a "beating" that you guys won by a score of 14-7 then I guess you deserve a congrats! By the way what is the all-time record between the two teams? I can't seem to find it. Anyway...I am not one for excuses by any means but when our starting running back Andre Wilson found out at half-time of the SDSU game that his mother had died earlier that morning I think football takes a back seat to anyone. I don't think he and the rest of the Bears had their heads in the game. I am sure all they could think about was Andre and his family.

Comment

While tragic I'm sure the death of a players mother had little to do with the outcome of a football game.

Comment

89rabbit.  If you call a game a "beating" that you guys won by a score of 14-7 then I guess you deserve a congrats!  By the way what is the all-time record between the two teams?  I can't seem to find it.  Anyway...I am not one for excuses by any means but when our starting running back Andre Wilson found out at half-time of the SDSU game that his mother had died earlier that morning I think football takes a back seat to anyone.  I don't think he and the rest of the Bears had their heads in the game.  I am sure all they could think about was Andre and his family.  
                Irrelevant. Someone please make it stop.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Why do you all knock UNC because of our small fan support?
                  UNCBears- Your attendance figures are horrible for both football and basketball even when NDSU is struggling in football attendance is not as bad as UNC's. In 2002 NDSU was 2-8 and averaged 10,620, this year UNC averaged what 4 thousand some, NDSU will draw at least that much for a D1 womens hoops game against SDSU. The Big Sky wants you because of location and big markets, on most any other criteria the SU's win. I've already had it with the Big Sky and I wish you guys the best if you get into that conference. It's time for NDSU and SDSU to look at new options like the Gateway for football and either the Horizen and Mid Con for other sports, both leagues are better fits for our universities.

Comment

To all Bear fans, thanks for stopping and your welcome to browse but leave it at that. It has been stated by some of you that SDSU has nothing to offer. Only UNC and NDSU do. Hey if that is your opinion fine (I respect that but disagree) so then move along. I don't understand why your on our little board worrying about what we think, you don't have much respect for us anyway.

Best of luck to you if the BSC accepts you we have always wished you well and still do. Good Luck

PS: on a side note I hope your wrestling coach is able to put together that wrestling conference I read about. It would be a awesome wrestling confrence.

Comment

why are you so bitter towards me 89rabbit? Is it only jelousy coming from you? I asked a question regarding attendance under the topic of "2004 attendance" Why is that so wrong? My point to the entire post, was that UNC and SDSU have similar attendance records, except last season. There are many Rabbit fans who believe we shouldn't get in to the BSC because of those numbers, yet some Rabbit fans believe they are more deserving because they have better attendance figures? Take a look at the average number of fans for both schools during the past 5-6 years and they are almost identical (ofcourse besides last season).

Comment

I can't believe you asked me that again.  My displeasure with you steems from the fact that you hijacked a post that had nothing to do with UNC and it's quest to join the Big Sky, as I have explained on numerous occasions.

Although clearly you understood the message since you are now using one of the many threads you started to talk about the single issues that consumes all your time on here.

I am perfectly happy to engage your passion on this thread.

04- SDSU had 9,846, UNC 4,562
                        03- SDSU had 5,547, UNC 5,746
                        02- SDSU had 5,967, UNC 5,984
                        01- SDSU had 6,732, UNC 5,231
                        00- SDSU had 5,436, UNC, 4860
                        99- SDSU had 6,139 UNC 6,836
                        98- SDSU had 4,632  UNC 5,563

What do these number suggest to me?  That win or lose, Championship season or 2-9 season, D-II or I-AA, UNC fans turn out about the same.  Looks like you have maxed out your fan support.

When you look at SDSU's attendence figures one might conclude that by moving up to I-AA SDSU was able to tape into a fresh source of fans.

All that being said, I am happy for you and I do think that you will get into the Big Sky.  I wish you, UNC, and the Big Sky nothing but the best.  If it is sooooo important to you to convice us that UNC deserves to be in the Big Sky and is better then the SUs as some of your posts have implied then do it.  Don't whine about how we disrespect you.  Just show us.

Please lay out a detailed explanation on why UNC is a better fit for the Big Sky then the two SUs.  Don't say that you are as good as the SUs, don't show me how you are almost as good as the SUs,  show me  BETTER.  Show me facts, show me figures.  Just do it.  It is what you really want to post about so,  I challenge you to do so.

Keeping in mind that most SDSU fans have moved on and are not that interested in the Big Sky.  We have turned our attention to the Horizon, Mid-Con, and other Mid-Western based conferences (which by the way if you look at my post history was my first choice anyway).

Have fun.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

You want to talk attendence than let's chat about Basketball too. SDSU led the nation in womens and mens basketball attendence last year. The men have consistently been one of the leaders in DII for basketball. Where is UNC with regard to Baskeball attendence?

Frost Arena

Frost Arena has been the home to Jackrabbit men's basketball since Feb. 2, 1973.

Considered one of the finest basketball arenas in the Upper Midwest, Frost Arena is located in the Stanley J. Marshall HPER Center and named after former South Dakota State athletic administrator, basketball coach and physical education professor Reuben B. "Jack" Frost.

In their 31 seasons playing at Frost Arena, the Jackrabbits have enjoyed a tremendous home-court advantage, holding a 373-87 all-time record at Frost Arena for an .811 winning percentage. Through the 2003-04 season, the Jacks are 178-13 in non-conference games at Frost Arena, a .932 winning percentage, and were 195-74 in North Central Conference games, a .725 winning percentage.

Adding to the home-court advantage is the fact that Jackrabbit teams consistently play in front of large crowds at 8,500-seat Frost Arena. The 460 games at Frost Arena have attracted 1,701,457 fans, an average of 3,704 per game. SDSU's 17 home games during the 2003-04 season averaged 3,375 fans.

SDSU has consistently been among the national leaders in attendance in NCAA Division II. The Jackrabbits have led the nation in attendance six times in the last nine years, through the 2003-04 season.

As SDSU makes the move to NCAA Division I starting in 2004-05, Frost Arena underwent a seating renovation during the spring of 2004. The upgrade included replacing the lower-level end bleachers with chairback seating to complement the north sideline chairback seating, as well as replacing the existing student bleachers on the south sideline behind the team benches.

The SDSU-University of South Dakota men's basketball game on Jan. 9, 2004, drew a sellout crowd of 8,489.

ATTENDANCE FIGURES

SEASON AVG. RANKING
                          2003-04 3,375 First
                          2002-03 3,491 Second
                          2001-02 4,449 First
                          2000-01 3,765 Third
                          1999-2000 4,077 First
                          1998-99 3,832 Second
                          1997-98 5,350 First
                          1996-97
                          4,423 First
                          1995-96 4,945 First
                          1994-95 3,237 Sixth

Note: All rankings based on NCAA Division II figures

Comment

Is not the BSC primarily a "football conference"? As far as I know we have had more success in regards to that sport against SDSU. I believe the head-to-head matchup has been in UNC's favor between the two teams. We have back-to-back national championships in the '96 and '97 seasons. How many NCC championships has SDSU won? Being in one of the best football conferences in D-1aa such as the Big Sky makes better sense for UNC then it does for SDSU. I know I am not going to convince Rabbit fans of this. You have been more succesful in basketball then UNC so it would make sense for you to join a good basketball confernce such as the Gateway. You would probably do well there.

Comment

Is not the BSC primarily a "football conference"?   

NO, the Big Sky is a all sports conference.  The Great West is a football conference, the Gateway is a football conference.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=26422

Fullerton said the Big Sky would expand primarily as a way to help its basketball programs, which often have trouble scheduling opponents.
                              Division I conferences must have at least seven schools to receive an automatic berth in the NCAA men’s tourney; the Big Sky has eight members, just over the limit.
                              “That tournament is worth around $3 million a year to our schools, so we’re always looking at what other conference realignments might do to our conference,” Fullerton says. “We’re looking at other schools as a way to protect ourselves in case anything unexpected happens in the near future.”

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X