PDA

View Full Version : SDSU v NDSU

Rabbitlivinginverm
02-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Trying to listen on the web. Sounds like they have the mic laying on the table. I can hear the pregame music, shoes squeaking and never mind, I hear Steve Imming as we speak....he's on right after Paul Harvey he says...

Rabbitlivinginverm
02-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Holdren is in the starting lineup :)

newser
02-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Thats good. Holdren was at the dr office most of the day yesterday and didnt take part in the shoot around..

filbert
02-18-2005, 04:23 PM
61-53, 4:40 to go, NDSU leads...

filbert
02-18-2005, 04:35 PM
75-55. NDSU, final.

filbert
02-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Women up 44-20 on Upper Iowa at the half.

filbert
02-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Nagy postgame: (I-didn't-prepare-the-team coments deleted).

Honestly, Steve, we're bad. We're bad offensively. Their guards are better than ours. They wanted the game more than we did. Their kids were sick and tired about hearing about (SDSU beating them) and did something about it. If you shoot 34% you're not going to win many games.

filbert
02-18-2005, 04:53 PM
well, it's all about guard play in D-I. We don't have guards.

I imagine we'll have some guards next year.

jacks1
02-18-2005, 06:55 PM
We'll need to dip into the JUCO ranks or maybe hit up a transfer to help our guard situation next year. I know we have a couple of redshirts at the end of the bench, but neither of them strike me as the Austin Hansen or Andy Moeller type. We'll see I guess.

twism
02-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Yeah I know it's a rebuilding year and all that. But isn't that some harsh comments from a coach?

Dakota
02-18-2005, 07:19 PM
02/18/2005
Jackrabbit Men Lose To Bison
http://www.gojacks.com/
FT. MYERS, FL - South Dakota State fell behind 11-0 to start the game and the Jacks lost to North Dakota State 75-55 in the semi-final round of the National Independent Tournament.

The Jacks caught up several times, including 20-20, but never had the lead as the Bison improved to 15-11 while SDSU fell to 8-17.

After trailing 31-25 at halftime, SDSU tied it at 39, and before Brandon Smith hit a three to keep NDSU in the lead. Then with the Jacks within 48-46, NDSU pulled away.

Ben Beran led SDSU with 24 points while Steve Holdren and Luke Geiver had 10 points each.

NDSU shot 47 per cent (26x55) compared to 34.6 per cent (18x52) after a 6-for-23, 26.1 per cent, first half. NDSU also had a 36-32 rebounding advantage.

Myron Green led NDSU with 21 points, six rebounds, and five assists.

The Jacks will play in the third place game Saturday (2:30 p.m. Central, WNAX radio).

North Dakota State 75, South Dakota State 55
North Dakota State (15-11)
Myron Green 6-10 5-7 21, Andy Kelchen 1-3 2-2 5, David Erbes 7-14 0-2 14, Adam Dobmeier 3-8 0-0 6, Brandon Smith 1-3 3-4 6, Matt Gerber 2-4 0-0 5, Dotun Obadina 3-4 0-0 7, Phil Hahn 2-6 1-5 9, Andrew Brown 1-3 0-0 2. Totals 26-55 14-19 75.

South Dakota State (8-17)
Steve Holdren 3-9 4-5 10, Joe Green 2-10 0-0 5, Ben Beran 8-14 6-8 24, Luke Geiver 4-12 0-0 10, Brady Hokenson 1-6 2-2 4, Mackenzie Casey 0-0 0-0 0, Ben DeWaard 0-0 0-0 0, Jared DeJong 0-1 0-0 0, Michael Loney 0-0 2-2 2. Totals 18-52 14-17 55.

Halftime: NDSU 31, SDSU 25

FG% - SDSU .473, NDSU .346. 3-pt FG - NDSU 9-20 (Green 4-5, Obadina 1-1 , Kelchen 1-1, Smith 1-2, Gerber 1-2, Hahn 1-5, Dobmeier 0-5), SDSU 5-18 (Beran 2-2, Geiver 2-7, Green 1-3, Holdren 0-3, Hokenson 0-3). Rebounds - NDSU 36 (Green 6), SDSU 32 (Beran 6). Fouls - NDSU 19, SDSU 17. Fouled out - none. Assists - NDSU 19 (Green 5), SDSU 10 (Holdren 3, Hokenson 3). Steals - NDSU 4 (Smith 3), SDSU 4 (Beran 2, Geiver 2). Blocked shots - NDSU 3 (Dobmeier 2), SDSU 3 (Green, Beran, Loney). Turnovers - NDSU 8, SDSU 12. Attendance 250.

rabbit4life
02-18-2005, 07:53 PM
Matt Caldwell is an explosive point guard with great court vision. He will match moellers talent. He may not match it in points but Caldwell is a true point gaurd who looks to dish the rock more often. Andre Gilbert will bring excitement back to SDSU not seen since Matt Jones's Freshman year.

jacks1
02-18-2005, 09:57 PM
I hope you're right rabbit4life....I can accept losses, especially when we don't match up talent wise...but it would be nice to see a more exciting brand of basketball. Even our wins this year have been lacking on an excitement stand point. Sorry about getting off the thread related to the game everyone.

SDSUFAN
02-19-2005, 03:33 AM
Yeah I know it's a rebuilding year and all that. But isn't that some harsh comments from a coach?

Why should the coach be dishonest and say something else? Only three more games left of this season. It is one of the first seasons that I could not wait for it to end. Usually, its a feeling that the season should never end, but thats what winning does to us. The Bison have to be happy with their season.

filbert
02-19-2005, 06:14 AM

Yes, it's pretty harsh, but that's part of what makes Nagy Nagy. He spent the first minute or so of the interview talking about how it was his fault for not getting his guys ready to play. (This is a standard Nagy line after both losses and unsatisfying wins).

He expects to win every game. And, guard play this year has been atrocious.

jackmd
02-19-2005, 08:58 AM

What might you say? He is telling it like it is and when he recruits a kid they know what to expect. If you don't perform at the level expected then you are going to hear about it. Disappointing loss but not unexpected. I hope we win at least one more game this year.

JACKGUYII
02-19-2005, 09:22 AM

I don't understand what Nagy is supposed to say at this point in the year. The guards are what they are and that is a couple of walk-on players who were never intended to play the minutes or prominent role they were asked to play this year. You can't win at any level without great guard play. This is not junior high basketball where you sugar coat everything and simply say everyone played well. I do think Cadwell and Gilbert will bring excitement back to Frost next year. Both hail from good schools in the Twin Cities where we rarely have gotten players and are accustomed to playing against stiff competition. Hopefully they convince some of their peers in the Twin Cities to consider SDSU. We are still going to need more help than those two to turn the corner. My hope is we can find some talented,experienced players to join them.

rabbit4life
02-19-2005, 06:45 PM
News is that a new verbal has committed and this one is a special one. Another Guard that is 5-11 and can dunk. This boy can handle the rock in passing, dribbling, and shooting. If they dont redshirt him Caldwell and this new guy from Canada will be fun to watch.

89rabbit
02-19-2005, 08:15 PM
News is that a new verbal has committed and this one is a special one. Another Guard that is 5-11 and can dunk. This boy can handle the rock in passing, dribbling, and shooting. If they dont redshirt him Caldwell and this new guy from Canada will be fun to watch.

Sound promising. You don't have a name do you?

Go State! ;D

JACKGUYII
02-19-2005, 09:02 PM
Did a little search over on Rivals and Insiders for point guards in Canada who have not committed and came up with the following:
Tyrone Mattison Toronto Eastern Commerce
Ronnie Williams Toronto Eastern Commerce
Kerchell Carter Toronto Father Henry Catholic

I don't know if it's any of the three but all have been recruited by DI programs.

jackmd
02-19-2005, 10:11 PM

Its not April 1st, but I'm a little suspicous.

SDSUFAN
02-20-2005, 04:36 AM
rabbit4life seems to have an inside line at SDSU. I dont want to be skeptical, but I dont trust him anymore after being led down Primrose lane about Andy Moeller eligibilty. I do hope he know of what he speaks in this particular case.

NDSU does have one player from Canada. So apparently there is some talent to be found up their. Seems like you hear all about is Canadian hockey and seldom about basketball. That does not mean that there are no good basketball programs in Canada.

rabbit4life
02-20-2005, 06:23 AM
The eligibilty of a medical redshirt given in D 2 is lost when moving to D 1. This was given to me from a medical personal in the HPER. On the issue of the canadian, I met him while shooting hanging out with Caldwell in Frost arena, I was able to speak with him, and saw the kid dunk. I later heard that the kid has verbally committed. Now his name is either Cam or Com, last name was never given. Remember folks these are the things I am seeing and hearing from people within the HPER, if they dont come true then that is why its a rumor board, but I am trying to give the latest and reliable information within the program and not by looking on the internet.

JACKGUYII
02-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Maybe we have the next Steve Nash who is from Canada coming to Brookings!

SoDak
02-21-2005, 02:06 AM

FWIW, I'm going to agree with you, instead of everyone else. I think if a kid isn't performing well, you take it up with him. I wonder how much some of these guys trust coach after they hear this? There have been a lot of great college basketball coaches thru the years that have had to deal with rebuilding, and the bad seasons coming with it, but I don't remember any of them harshing the kids they have, to the media, as bad as Nagy has lately.

OK_Jackrabbit
02-21-2005, 04:27 AM
I don't find Nagy's public frustration surprising. The joke has always been, even during winning streaks, that Nagy is never really happy with his team, or loose with his praise.

Anyone who has watched him coach, stomping on the floor and hollering at his players during quiet moment (or yanking them from the game about two seconds after they make a dumb play or take a bad shot) knows that his coaching philosophy is about consequences for not performing. It can't be a surprise to those players when he goes off on them during or after a game, in public or in private. The guy has won 80 percent of his games. They have to come in knowing that he expects great things from them.

Nagy is a teacher who is frustrated that his students aren't performing the way they should. As someone who spends every day surrounded by college students who can't seem to focus or pay attention to detail, I can understand his frustration.

SDSUFAN
02-21-2005, 05:29 AM
I don't find Nagy's public frustration surprising. The joke has always been, even during winning streaks, that Nagy is never really happy with his team, or loose with his praise.

Anyone who has watched him coach, stomping on the floor and hollering at his players during quiet moment (or yanking them from the game about two seconds after they make a dumb play or take a bad shot) knows that his coaching philosophy is about consequences for not performing. It can't be a surprise to those players when he goes off on them during or after a game, in public or in private. The guy has won 80 percent of his games. They have to come in knowing that he expects great things from them.

Nagy is a teacher who is frustrated that his students aren't performing the way they should. As someone who spends every day surrounded by college students who can't seem to focus or pay attention to detail, I can understand his frustration.

OK rabbit has squarely hit the nail on the head. I think it also explains why I have dreamed of being a teacher and/or a coach,but I never obtained the motivation to move in that direction. I know I could handle the highs but never the lows. With Coach Nagy's father being a coach, its a family occupation that I dont think Coach will ever leave for some more less stressful job such as insurance or any other occupation for that matter. Coach Nagy will be back next year with new expectations. ;)

jackmd
02-21-2005, 09:18 AM
FWIW, I'm going to agree with you, instead of everyone else. I think if a kid isn't performing well, you take it up with him. I wonder how much some of these guys trust coach after they hear this? There have been a lot of great college basketball coaches thru the years that have had to deal with rebuilding, and the bad seasons coming with it, but I don't remember any of them harshing the kids they have, to the media, as bad as Nagy has lately.

DIffering opinions are good, but I'll continue to support Nagy here. Until he demonstrates some character weakness or alternative motives I'll believe in his coaching philosophy. It seems a previous coach may have lost his job because he didn't seem appropriately upset/concerned about lack of effort and performance by his players.

Hoops
02-22-2005, 07:45 PM
Holdren still has Mono along with an upper resp. infection....he won't sit! Not too sure that is smart!

jackmd
02-22-2005, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't say he still "has" mono. He may be suffering from some symptoms still related to the acute infection with the Ebstein Barr virus, but I doubt highly that any viral load is still present in his bloodstream. He should have planty of antibodies by now.

That said, you are correct that rest is best. However, he should continue to work out. I usually leave it up to the patient as to what level of activity they can tolerate.

SDsportsFan
02-22-2005, 08:49 PM
I know I made a fool of myself last time, predicting that our women would pound NDSU, but I am once again going to say that our women will win by double digits. I still can't believe they beat us in Brookings. NDSU lost tonight by 30 points to TCU. TCU is pretty good, but I know darn well they would not beat us by 30 points. It sounds like the Krenz girl tore her ACL for NDSU, which actually sucks. We were going to win no matter what, and I didn't want them to have any excuse when we did. Hopefully we beat them bad enough to show them that the first game was a fluke. If we lose again, I may just stop posting on this site.

FargoBison
02-22-2005, 09:45 PM
SDsportsFan-You should probably stick with the prediction you made a month ago of Jacks by less then 10 because anything over double digits ain't happening, even without Krenz. The team who wins will win by 5 or less points. The BSA will be sold out and the Bison seniors will want to leave on a high note, the Jacks will not win by double digits. They won't even win, Bison by 3.

Bison 72
Jacks 69

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
02-23-2005, 06:52 AM
Much like the NDSU men felt they had something to prove with their SDSU rematch in the Independent Tourney, the SDSU women are out to prove their loss to NDSU was a fluke.

SDSU - 82
NDSU - 70

jackmd
02-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Much like the NDSU men felt they had something to prove with their SDSU rematch in the Independent Tourney, the SDSU women are out to prove their loss to NDSU was a fluke.

SDSU - 82
NDSU - 70

Same thinking on my part. I still believe SDSU has a better team this year. Even in front of the hostile Bison crowd Jacks prevail.

SDSU 77
NDSU 65

filbert
02-26-2005, 04:13 PM
OK, it's gametime.

Unfortunately for me, the women's internet feed isn't working for me, so if some kind soul would post updates, that'd be cool then.

OK_Jackrabbit
02-26-2005, 04:26 PM
No Internet feed here, either. Must be a problem at their end.

filbert
02-26-2005, 04:31 PM
No Internet feed here, either. Must be a problem at their end.

Crisis in Jackrabbit Nation! Somebody call someone!!!!!! ;D ;D

filbert
02-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Hey, I have a feed!

Halftime, NDSU by three, after Jacks led by 11 at one time. Scotty Kwas neglected to actually say what the score WAS though.

JackTwice
02-26-2005, 04:52 PM
Halftime - Jacks went 3-17 the last part of the half. Were shooting 62% now 35-32 NDSU. Voel 11, Schlagel needs 4 rebds to get 1000 for career.

mitchellrabbit
02-26-2005, 05:30 PM
51-51 9 minutes to play

mitchellrabbit
02-26-2005, 05:39 PM
55-52 bison, 4:50 to play

mitchellrabbit
02-26-2005, 05:51 PM
Jacks 61 Bison 60 33 seconds to go

mitchellrabbit
02-26-2005, 05:53 PM
63-62 jacks 7.1 seconds

mitchellrabbit
02-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Bison hits a bucket at the buzzer, wins. that sucks

filbert
02-26-2005, 05:58 PM
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

filbert
02-26-2005, 06:38 PM
Bison men up early 3-0.

filbert
02-26-2005, 06:49 PM
18-5. Another hard-to-listen-to game so far . . .

SDSUFAN
02-26-2005, 07:09 PM
29-24 NDSU, I think we still got a chance, and if we just keep plugging and fighting back. Joe Green seems to holding up against the student pressure.

29-26

filbert
02-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Jacks have come back, lead by one now, under 30 sec. in the half, outrebounding NDSU 21-12.

SDSU 33-31 at the half. Survive a 15-5 early deficit.

Green has 10 points, Beran 4, Holdren 5, Hokensen 6, Giever 2, DeJong 2, Loney 4 points.

NDSU Green has 7 points, Kelchen 5, Erbes 2, Dobmeier 5, Smith 5, Hahn 3, Obadena 4.

filbert
02-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Jacks 52-42. About halfway through the 2nd half (C'mon, Steve, tell us the time . . .)

SDSUFAN
02-26-2005, 07:59 PM
55-47 with 8 min to go

Green and Beran both have 4 fouls with 7:40 to go

SDSUFAN
02-26-2005, 08:04 PM
59 49 Jacks with 5:15 to go

filbert
02-26-2005, 08:11 PM
61-52, under 3 minutes. Nail biting time. Too bad I just trimmed mine earlier this evening.

filbert
02-26-2005, 08:17 PM
We make free throws, we might with this one. 64-55, under a minute.

filbert
02-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Jacks win their 10th game . . . 68-57.

SDSUFAN
02-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Jacks win Jacks win Jacks win.

Go get them recruits. This painful season is over thank God.

CatchEmAll
02-26-2005, 08:27 PM
Funny, I'm listening online and the game is just ending while you guys have posted the final.

filbert
02-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Funny, I'm listening online and the game is just ending while you guys have posted the final.

Well then, you can double check my Nagy Notes:

Nagy Notes:

The way we started the game was pathetic. Our guys responded well though, withstood emotion of senior night.

Holdren was feeling it tonight, he's so strong and quick, the people of NDSU got a good look at the future of SDSU basketball.

Joe Green was a bit angry early, he's a competitor.

Our kids played great, rebounded real well. Outrebounded them by 19. We played like we wanted it more. Able to leave with a good taste in our mouth for what's coming. Will really miss the seniors, they got to play a lot this year, they've given us five unbelieveable years.

Brady hit some big shots, he was playing with confidence. Jared was tremendous early when Ben and Joe were in a funk, stepped big, played great.

It's been a strange season. For me it's been frustrating at times, I think we should have won more games. Played better against D-I opponents than at home. Hard for young kids to be leaders. Pleased with how we played on the road for the most part. So pleased with how we ended the year, kids didn't lay down. Will give us a jump start on recruiting, kids feel good about themselves.

We have those two redshirts sitting there Cadwell and Gilbert, we will be a better team as soon as this season ends. All division I games next year, including twelve at home next year. I'm real excited about next year. Important to get into a league, but excited. Probably will add three more new kids in addition to the ones everybody knows about now.

We just shut NDSU down after the first part of the game.

Ten years, can you believe it? I appreciate Steve Imming putting up with me when we lose and I'm in one of my moods, not the best interview.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
02-27-2005, 10:44 AM
With Beran, Green, and Holdren coming back, We will be decent next year. I think in two years we will be VERY good, I'm glad the guys got a big win last night on the road to close out the year, as tough as its been this year, everyone should feel good about the last two games (UCF & NDSU)

Dakota
02-27-2005, 11:51 AM
02/26/2005
Jacks Fall To NDSU On Buzzer Beater
http://www.gojacks.com/
FARGO, ND – Katie Lorenz scored at the buzzer to give North Dakota State a 64-63 victory over South Dakota State in women’s basketball Saturday night at the Bison Sports Arena.

SDSU had taken the lead twice in the closing minute, but the Bison countered every time. Megan Vogel hit two free throws with 33 seconds left, making it 61-60 Jacks. But Leah Klabo scored to put the Bison back ahead. Then Sarita DeBoer hit a jumper from the free throw circle, giving SDSU a 63-62 lead with 7.8 seconds to play.

Lorenz was the only player to touch the ball after NDSU inbounds following a time out. She hit an off balance jumper to win it, giving the Bison a sweep in the season series with the Jacks. SDSU is 20-7 while NDSU is 25-1. Both teams will play Grand Canyon of Arizona next weekend, with the Jackrabbits closing their season at Frost Arena on Saturday (March 5) for Senior Night.

SDSU got off to a fast start and had a 11 point lead twice, the first at 24-13 on a basket by Megan Vogel with 10:31 to play. A jumper by DeBoer made it 26-15 with 8:57 left, then NDSU went on a 20-6 roll giving the Bison a 35-32 hafltime lead.

NDSU opened a 49-39 lead early in the second half, then SDU went on a 12-0 run to regain the lead at 51-49 on a three-pointer by Brooke Dickmeyer with 9:36 left.

Lorenz led four players in double figures for the Bison, with 14 points. Reserve Brenda Slyt added 13 while Kayla Dahlen and Leah Klabo had 11 each.

Vogel led the Jacks with 21 points. Heather Sieler went 3-for-3 on three-point shots and finished with 13 while DeBoer had 10.

Shannon Schlagel had 14 rebounds as she went over the 1,000 mark in that category for her career, currently at 1,004. She scored nine points.

North Dakota State 64, South Dakota State 63
South Dakota State (20-7)
Megan Vogel 5-16 10-14 21, Shannon Schlagel 4-16 0-3 9, Sarita DeBoer 5-10 0-0 10, Stephanie Bolden 0-0 0-0 0, Heather Sieler 5-7 0-0 13, Andrea Vergegan 2-4 0-0 5, Brooke Dickmeyer 1-4 0-0 3, Sara Meckley 0-1 0-0 0, Christina Gilbert 0-5 2-6 2. Totals 22-63 12-23 63

North Dakota State (25-1)
Kayla Dahlen 4-5 2-4 11, Lacey Johnson 3-8 0-2 8, Leah Klabo 4-10 3-4 11, Katie Lorenz 5-14 4-4 14, Lisa Bue 0-3 0-0 0, Katie Dahlen 0-0 0-0 0, Brandee Gibbs 1-5 0-0 2, Brenda Slyt 5-8 1-3 13, Danni Heintzelman 1-2 2-2 5. Totals 23-55 12-19 64

Halftime - NDSU 35, SDSU 32

FG% - SDSU .349, NDSU .418. 3-pt FG - SDSU 7-16 (Sieler 3-3, Verdegan 1-1, Dickmeyer 1-2, Vogel 1-5, Schlagel 1-5), NDSU 6-10 (Slyt 2-3, Johnson 2-4, Kay Dahlen 1-1, Heintzelman 1-1, Lorenz 0-1). Rebounds - SDSU 41 (Schlagel 14), NDSU 40 (Klabo 8, Lorenz 8). Fouls - SDSU 17, NDSU 18. Fouled out - none. Assists - SDSU 15 (DeBoer 5, Sieler 4), NDSU 12 (Lorenz 5). Steals - SDSU 14 (Sieler 5), NDSU 6. Blocked shots - SDSU 1 (DeBoer), NDSU 6 (Klabo 4). Turnovers - SDSU 10, NDSU 16. Attendance 6,052.

89rabbit
02-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Highlights from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050227/SPORTS020 2/502270341/1002

SDSU's men get it done
Freshman Holdren scores 19 for Jacks

Chris Solari
csolari@argusleader.com

published: 02/27/05

FARGO - Solid defense. Aggressive rebounding. Clutch shooting. Big scoring runs.

In the finale of its first Division I season, the old South Dakota State moxie was back.

The young Jackrabbits outscored North Dakota State 38-15 between the end of the first half and start of the second to wrap up its season with a 68-57 victory Saturday at the Bison Sports Arena.

"Who wins at the end of the season? Not many people do," said sophomore Joe Green, who had 18 points and a game-best 12 boards. "We're really excited about that. We just wanted to get back to playing Jacks basketball."

SDSU decidedly outrebounded the Bison 47-28 and held them to 25 percent from the field in the second half. The way the Jacks played reminded 10th-year coach Scott Nagy of some of his finest teams, a high compliment for a squad that struggled for consistency all year.

"We kicked tail on the boards, our kids were focused," Nagy said. "I even mentioned to (assistant coach) Troy (Larson) before the game, when we had our good teams, I loved coming to places like this because I knew we'd kick people's tails and the fans would be leaving early. There is no better feeling." . . .

"It's been a long season, it's been different, it's been tough at times," said freshman Steve Holdren, who led the Jackrabbits with 19 points and snagged 10 rebounds. "To go out this way means a lot to our seniors because it's their last game. To send them out with a win over a rival team feels good."

The Bison began with a balanced burst, building an 18-5 lead barely five minutes into the game.

SDSU countered with eight straight points, including a pair of 3-pointers from senior Brady Hokenson, before the Bison went back in front by 10 late in the period.

SDSU exploded with an 11-2 run to close out the first half. When Holdren drilled a 3-pointer, the Jacks claimed their first lead at 33-31, which they carried into halftime.

"When we went up two at half," Nagy said, "I knew (NDSU) was in trouble."

A jump shot and free throw by NDSU's Andy Kelchen gave the Bison a 38-37 lead early in the second when the Jacks put it away. Sophomore Ben Beran made a layup, two of his eight points in the game, followed by a Holdren 3-pointer that ignited an 11-0 run.

When Green yanked an offensive rebound, layed it back in and was fouled with six minutes left, with the ensuing free throw making it a 59-49 Jacks, Nagy bobbed his head, pumped his fist and cheered his way down the entire length of the bench. His jubilant ouburst seemed like a huge release in a season filled with ups and downs.

"The last couple games, he's really got into it," Green said of Nagy. "We've played good as a team, and it gets him pretty excited when we're on that kind of a roll."

NDSU chopped the Jacks' cushion to seven twice in the final minute, but SDSU put the game away at the line. The Bison had only six second-half field goals.

Despite a slow start, SDSU outshot NDSU 40.4 percent to 30.9 percent, on top of the 19-rebound edge.

"We just did not give our best effort tonight," NDSU coach Tim Miles said. "Credit South Dakota State. I thought they just came out and outworked us. You'll see it in our rebounding totals and defensive field goal percentage."

All but the three seniors expected to return next year for SDSU, and two talented redshirt freshmen (Matt Cadwell and Andre Gilbert) ready to fill the void. Nagy expects to add about three more recruits to make a five-player incoming class with two 6-foot-10 post players from Minnesota already committed.

"The fans here got a good look at what the future's gonna be like," Nagy said.

If only for one night, SDSU's present looked sharp.

Go State! ;D

89rabbit
02-27-2005, 07:37 PM
*From the moderator

Please tone down/stop the name calling. This thread is not on the smack board. Thank you.

SDSUFAN
02-28-2005, 04:30 AM
I personally went to the ticket office at Bison Sports Arena on Thursday hoping I could still pick up two reserved seats somewhere. The only thing left was a few seats behind the student section and the young man working at the ticket booth said that he could not guarentee a clear vision because of the NDSU students often standing during the game. This being the only option, I chose to listen on the radio. I am not complaining as students love to stand and its getting to be more and more a craze everywhere. I first ran into this at K-State back in 1989 when I went to see Minnesota play K State.

The point is that NDSU loves to see SDSU come to town and it was evident by the size of the crowd. Plus I believe SDSU had a good following in attendence.

I think if SDSU were to put the men and women games with NDSU together for one evening, we would no doubt sell out Frost.

In the post game show on WDAY, Coach Miles made a comment that he could not wait until January 14th as that is when SDSU returns to Fargo, at least the men do.

Coach Miles had his whole family near during the post game show and he introducEd his brother in law as a member of the legislature in South Dakota. He jokingly said he wanted his brother-in-law to legislate against SDSU. Coach Miles who is a native of Doland SD is a class guy and a good friend of Coach Nagy.

In basketball, I can forsee a great rivilry developing and sellouts in Fargo and Brookings will be the rule and not the exception.

I also see the Wrestling duel on Friday drew 905 people in Fargo. So there is interest in that sport too.

IowaBison
02-28-2005, 05:42 AM
Highlights from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050227/SPORTS020 2/502270341/1002

SDSU's men get it done
Freshman Holdren scores 19 for Jacks

Chris Solari
csolari@argusleader.com

published: 02/27/05

The young Jackrabbits outscored North Dakota State 38-15 between the end of the first half and start of the second to wrap up its season with a 68-57 victory Saturday at the Bison Sports Arena.

So you guys scored 38 points during halftime? ;)

Rodentia
02-28-2005, 07:05 AM
Quite a trick, isn't it?

jackmd
02-28-2005, 09:11 AM
Nice win. Seems shooting is the key for this team. They always work hard on the boards and try to defend as best as they can, but if their shots aren't falling they just don't have a chance. Hope coach Nagy can find a shooter with some college BB experience. Redshirt the incoming big men and try to plug in a young guard. Then, stick with the most talented kids even if the early season next year is a struggle. By the end we may have a decent DI BB team on our hands.

Heartbreaking loss for our women, but that doesn't take away from a quality year. Very proud of their performance and looking forward to continued success with an even better schedule next year.

Bisonfan1
02-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Congrats on the mens victory, It was fun meeting some of the Jack's fans while we were tailgating (yes, tailgating, I think we were the only ones) was a bit windy all afternoon, but not bad. Hope more of you stop by the Bison Battlewagon and say hi this football season.

89rabbit
02-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Welcome to the Jackrabbit board Bisonfan 1. Thanks for posting. Congrats to you on the Women's game. It was a hard fought battle.

Go State! ;D

rabbit4life
03-01-2005, 01:09 PM
I need everyones help on this one, I over heard we are loking at a young man from Kansas city today, I hear he is around 6-5, 6-6 and as athletic as andre gilbert. I know if someone said the name I could tell you if that is it. Can anyone help me out.

filbert
03-01-2005, 04:07 PM
I don't know, but there's a ton of high school basketball talent in the KC area. Hard to recruit here because it's in the heart of Big XII country, not to mention UMKC and the Missouri Valley and the MIAA D-II schools, plus the generally national nature of most D-I programs' recruiting.

But if we could sneak a recruit or two out of KC in the early years of our D-I transition, it would make it that much easier to recruit competitively here down the road.

JACKGUYII
03-02-2005, 07:12 AM
I think Kansas City would be another good recruiting area. The Omaha Metro area and Nebraska is just not producing many top notch basketball players.

JACKGUYII
03-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Could any of these be the mystery Missouri guy?
Josh Hospeth
Matt Foster
Johnny Hill-Vashon 6'4
Matt Brenan-Lee's Summitt 6'7
Lorenzo Riley-Platte Co. 6'6 32 inch vertical

rabbit4life
03-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Here is a question for everyone. A lot of people read these posts and my thinking might be wrong but should we be naming off possible recruits names so other schools may get them try to steal them. I might be paranoid but the chance is there. What are your thoughts?

89rabbit
03-02-2005, 02:24 PM
If a coach has resorted to looking for kids on the SDSU fan site, I think his program is in trouble and we don't need to worry about it much. ;)

Go State! ;D

Alumguy
03-02-2005, 02:50 PM
If a player is worth a hoot they already have dozens of coaches, from all levels, already looking at them. There aren't many surprises before signing day. They usually come after signing day.

JACKGUYII
03-02-2005, 03:03 PM
I need everyones help on this one, I over heard we are loking at a young man from Kansas city today, I hear he is around 6-5, 6-6 and as athletic as andre gilbert. I know if someone said the name I could tell you if that is it. Can anyone help me out.

I was trying to help you out!

SDSUFAN
03-02-2005, 06:22 PM

Why do you need help? You seem to be the one that has all the inside dope on what is going on. If I knew who you were, I would purposely spread a rumor for you to over hear and see if it showed up here on the board. Its a 95% chance I would read my false rumor here and a few other details thrown in. ;D ;D ;D. It not polite to listen to other peoples conversations. On signing day we will all know who is going to be a Jack and who is not. I for one can wait and get the facts correctly ;)

jackrabbit1979
03-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Why do you need help? You seem to be the one that has all the inside dope on what is going on. If I knew who you were, I would purposely spread a rumor for you to over hear and see if it showed up here on the board. Its a 95% chance I would read my false rumor here and a few other details thrown in. ;D ;D ;D. It not polite to listen to other peoples conversations. On signing day we will all know who is going to be a Jack and who is not. I for one can wait and get the facts correctly ;)

FAN,
were you having a bad day when you posted this or what. this is a duscussion board so that is what we do is discuss things. I don't think rabbit4life was reprimanding anyone about talking about recruits, more than wondering if what he was doing was kosher. I would say that half of all the topics on this board are rumors, its what makes it fun to discuss them. You your self flew off a tangent on a rumor earlier that Andy Moeller wouldn't have been able to play his last year at state. Take it easy man, we are all fans.

By the way, from what i can tell, rabbit4life seems to be a pretty good source. He was dead on with Cam Hornby and i think there will be a pretty good chance we may see a KC kid on the roster next year as well.

JACKGUYII
03-04-2005, 11:31 AM
FAN,
were you having a bad day when you posted this or what. this is a duscussion board so that is what we do is discuss things. I don't think rabbit4life was reprimanding anyone about talking about recruits, more than wondering if what he was doing was kosher. I would say that half of all the topics on this board are rumors, its what makes it fun to discuss them. You your self flew off a tangent on a rumor earlier that Andy Moeller wouldn't have been able to play his last year at state. Take it easy man, we are all fans.

By the way, from what i can tell, rabbit4life seems to be a pretty good source. He was dead on with Cam Hornby and i think there will be a pretty good chance we may see a KC kid on the roster next year as well.

DITTO ON ALL OF THE ABOVE!

rabbit4life
03-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys for the support and by the way JackguyII is right on the KC kid it is Adam White. I was wrong on the height and I apologize for that. I hope we can add him too.

SDSUFAN
03-04-2005, 12:34 PM
FAN,

I guess this is not the first time 1979rabbit has called me out. He loves to do that. Yes I did fly off a tangent on the eligibility of Moeller only because I was dumb enough to believe rabbit4life. I believe we have a few days yet before the offical signing announcements, so I dont think either rumor that rabbit4life about recruits are facts. Hearsay can later be false as it was with Andy Moellers eligibilty. Thank rabbit4life on that one.

BTW where is your buddy the homeschooler 91rabbit?

jackrabbit1979
03-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Take it easy big guy,
I wasn't purposely trying to call you out as i have much respect for your dedication to SDSU. I just think you were a little harsh on a fairly new poster here on the board. I understand that rabbit4life is a big boy and can stand up for himself, but the one thing that scares me about this board is that there is a group of fans (myself included) that like to post and may intimidate fellow fans with great information (like rabbit4life). It would be the same way i felt when i started posting.

Plus, there is a thought amongst many of our former NCC teams that SDSU fans are somewhat biased(we should be were "fans") and are not very cordial to outsiders. Check out some of the other fanboards if you want their thoughts. I don't think we should be that way as we move forward to D1. I would assume it is the same reason that Mike H doesn't post anymore but lurks quite a bit. (not that he didn't deserve some of the ribbing) ;)

I forgot it was rabbit4life who brought up the Moeller situation and that could be part of the reason you jumped on him about starting rumors. I could see how you would be apprehensive now.

One more thing, i don't love to call you out, as you so eloquently put it above, we just don't agree all the time. And i have no clue who "home schooler 91 rabbit" is, was that directed towards me??
Anyways, off my soapbox.

Charger13
03-04-2005, 02:40 PM
If speculation was not discussed here there would not be nearly as much to talk about. That is why I read this board. Not all things posted here are true, but most are and I think we all like to have the inside information. If you want to wait until signing day SDSUFAN fine, but some of us like to speculate.

JACKGUYII
03-04-2005, 02:52 PM
I enjoy the recruiting speculation and research as evidenced by many of my postings in this area. There are a lot of online sources that provide hints on where kids are looking and many times players, recruits and coaches are providing this information. Is it wrong for someone to post this information on this board if they get a tip about a recruit that is visiting SDSU, I don't think so. The thing I hate is when someone comes on this board with a malicious rumor that is totaly unfounded and is just trying to get a reaction from Jack fans ie. when someone came on here last year and indicated (AJ and Megan Vogel) were going to Minnesota State.

SiouxFallsJack
03-04-2005, 03:35 PM
I agree with Jackrabbit1979 and Charger13. I am new to this board. Having moved out of the stone age with the purchase of my first computer this past fall, one of my old college roomates introduced me to this board. It took some time for me to first register, then to post.

I have spent most of the last month going back to the beginning and reading every post. I'm not suprised by the number of fellow SDSU diehards that share their knowledge and Love for our athletics and instituition. I don't really have any inside info to share, but would like to express my opinions and thoughts.

I have attended State BBgames since the Walker/Lingenfelter era. My first memory of listening to games on the radio is the year we lost to Wisc-Green Bay in the regionals.

I have enjoyed learning and laughing with most of the posts. I believe rumors/speculation are what makes this interesting. One has to take rumor with a grain of salt. Each person chooses to believe it or not. This has been stated before, but sometimes we have to agree to disagree.

SDSUFAN
03-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Take it easy big guy,
I wasn't purposely trying to call you out as i have much respect for your dedication to SDSU. I just think you were a little harsh on a fairly new poster here on the board. I understand that rabbit4life is a big boy and can stand up for himself, but the one thing that scares me about this board is that there is a group of fans (myself included) that like to post and may intimidate fellow fans with great information (like rabbit4life). It would be the same way i felt when i started posting.

Plus, there is a thought amongst many of our former NCC teams that SDSU fans are somewhat biased(we should be were "fans") and are not very cordial to outsiders. Check out some of the other fanboards if you want their thoughts. I don't think we should be that way as we move forward to D1. I would assume it is the same reason that Mike H doesn't post anymore but lurks quite a bit. (not that he didn't deserve some of the ribbing) ;)

I forgot it was rabbit4life who brought up the Moeller situation and that could be part of the reason you jumped on him about starting rumors. I could see how you would be apprehensive now.

One more thing, i don't love to call you out, as you so eloquently put it above, we just don't agree all the time. And i have no clue who "home schooler 91 rabbit" is, was that directed towards me??
Anyways, off my soapbox.

JACK1979:
Not that it is important now, you got on me for telling 91rabbit a few things when he first appeared on this board asking if he(91rabbit) was the only one that thought the move to D1 was a bad idea. The way you came to his rescue I assumed he was your best friend.

I was just telling what I thought then and was also again when rabbit4life asked for us to conspire in his speculation about a recruit. ;D

None the less, I will say that I express my own views and if people can't digest them, well then so be it. I have nothing personal against anyone on this board.
In most cases, I have no idea who people are posting and really dont want to know.

As far as recruits, I sure there are a ton of rumors floating around campus and Brookings. Unless the press makes an anouncement of oral committement, I dont trust anything anyone says about any possible recruits. April 1 is not that far away. I suspect Coach Nagy and staff are very busy and their list changes from day to day.

The one day in early January that I watched practice, Coach Larson was gone. I did not think it was my business to hang around after practice and ask Coach Nagy where his top assistant was and what was he doing.

It was none of my business nor is it any one who is classified as a representative by NCAA definition for them to ask any coach, or assistant to make a statement or to speculate. With the NCAA rules being as they are we just need to be patient because there is a procedure of letter of intent and it has to be followed. Coaches are not allowed to comment prior to that date.

I think a good recruit from KC and a flashy guard from Canada would be excellent additions to the program, but until its offical, I will not believe anyone be it rabbit4life, JackGuyII, Charger 13 or any other person who feels the urge to speculate.

I really dont care who your inside source is. and if its a real inside source they are screwing SDSU up by making or hinting comments, giving names to a fan or alum or anyone connected the program. This kind of behavior will get us in trouble with NCAA.

April 1, is only 27 days away ;)

jackmd
03-05-2005, 07:23 AM
Having had the pleasure to meet SDSUFAN face-to-face I must briefly give my opinion. FAN believes what he believes and stands by it. He'll defend his ideals without specific regards to the consequence. I guess I find this respectable and will cut him some slack when he offends. For others who don't know him, try not to take chatter on an internet forum too seriously. Its just that, chatter.

As aside, I wish Mike_H would come back more regularly.

91rabbit
03-05-2005, 07:52 PM
SDSUFAN:

Up to your old tricks again? Just when I think that you are starting to mellow with old age (i.e. retirement), you get mean and smear 1979 with an affiliation with me! ;)

Don't worry about me. I won't offer any speculation about basketball players/recruits but I might declare the sky to be blue and wonder how long it will be before an argument breaks out here. ;D

SDSUFAN
03-05-2005, 08:17 PM
91 rabbit:

Smear?? Just to mention your name and its a smear? Did any one tell you that your hide needed conditioning? Its a little on the thin side. ;D :-X

91rabbit
03-07-2005, 08:29 AM
SDSUFAN:

Actually the smear was inflicted upon my good friend jackrabbit1979 so I was rallying to his aid. Even though we have never met, we must be in cahoots since he had the audacity to defend me when you pounced upon my unfortunate arrival on the board.

BTW: my skin is just fine. You should check yours.