PDA

View Full Version : BIG JAKE, Maverick No1, Where are you?

SDSUFAN
03-05-2005, 08:31 AM
How could a good UNO team lose to Mankato? It should not have happened. Kappels goes turnover free for 44 minutes and had 8 in this game. Thank God Kappels said no to SDSU.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=38&u_sid=1352439

bigjake
03-05-2005, 12:20 PM
That loss wasn't even that painful bc they just really beat us. No excuses. The better team won. We have terrible shooters many nites and they really exposed our weakness. I still think we can host the regionals bc metro is beatable and they might lose in their tourney. I have never seen defense like that this year. If They play defense like that every night they will go to the elite 8. It was nice to see a rowdy crowd from MSU at the game. They are usually more apathetic than uno but they were into it and very happy. It was almost packed which goes to show that there is interest in UNO. Just not much interest when UNO plays the likes of Doane, Dana, and Morningside.

jackrabbit1979
03-05-2005, 12:55 PM
3000 fans and you think it was a good crowd, thats sad.

SDSUFAN
03-05-2005, 01:20 PM
That loss wasn't even that painful bc they just really beat us. No excuses. The better team won. We have terrible shooters many nites and they really exposed our weakness. I still think we can host the regionals bc metro is beatable and they might lose in their tourney. I have never seen defense like that this year. If They play defense like that every night they will go to the elite 8. It was nice to see a rowdy crowd from MSU at the game. They are usually more apathetic than uno but they were into it and very happy. It was almost packed which goes to show that there is interest in UNO. Just not much interest when UNO plays the likes of Doane, Dana, and Morningside.

Almost packed? Funny the number in attendence is a round number, who picked that one out of the air? Was that you Big Jake? Metro plays better on the road than at home. In fact with Metror huge following they cant tell if they are home or on the road. Also the Metro coach can out do McKenna several times over so its not match even if the region is held in that Dump called Sapp Fieldhouse. Well with the huge following of UNO and Metro, you can bring pins to the game and hear them drop. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mavericks#1
03-06-2005, 06:04 AM
I, like Big Jake make no excuses for the MSU loss. We had beaten them twice and it was obvious they were out to prove why they were picked as pre-season conference champions. SDSU fan this is one year that you should not make fun of any teams attendence. When UNO averages more people at our games than you do as a D1 school, you should just keep your pie hole shut. Quit making fun of Metro. Last time I checked in last years regional, they made the game you had this year against Southwest Minnesota State look like a nailbiter. I thought you people didn't care what happened in D2. I guess when you winter teams are TV watching you are forced to pay attention to other things. You might want to get used to it. The light at the end of the tunnel looks like a pinhole to me.

Mavs#1

sdman
03-06-2005, 10:51 AM
People can have their laughs now but in ten years we WILL be in the BIg Dance and in 20 we will be hanging a national championship banner in our new fieldhouse that seats 18000 people. We will be to the Great Plains what Duke and UNC are to Tobacco Road. It is going to be a ride like you can't believe.

bigjake
03-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Wow, if you have the kind of success that this sd man guy thinks you are going to have I am going to change allegiance and become the biggest sdsu fan around. That guy would make Norman Vincent Peale look like an eternal pessimist

SDSUFAN
03-06-2005, 01:17 PM
I, like Big Jake make no excuses for the MSU loss. We had beaten them twice and it was obvious they were out to prove why they were picked as pre-season conference champions. SDSU fan this is one year that you should not make fun of any teams attendence. When UNO averages more people at our games than you do as a D1 school, you should just keep your pie hole shut. Quit making fun of Metro. Last time I checked in last years regional, they made the game you had this year against Southwest Minnesota State look like a nailbiter. I thought you people didn't care what happened in D2. I guess when you winter teams are TV watching you are forced to pay attention to other things. You might want to get used to it. The light at the end of the tunnel looks like a pinhole to me.

Mavs#1

Touchy touchy. How many turnovers will Kappels have in his next game. I hear he has threaten to transfer more than once.

sports_buff
03-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Metro plays better on the road than at home.

Ask Nagy how good Metro plays at home. Having Metro host is a big blow to the NCC schools.

SDSUFAN
03-06-2005, 09:36 PM
;DSDSU does not have worry about Metro any more and it would matter to USD either when his A## is handed to Osama Bin Mueller, in Denver. Think baseball, Oh thats right USD does not have baseball. ;D ;D

jackmd
03-07-2005, 09:28 AM
People can have their laughs now but in ten years we WILL be in the BIg Dance and in 20 we will be hanging a national championship banner in our new fieldhouse that seats 18000 people. We will be to the Great Plains what Duke and UNC are to Tobacco Road. It is going to be a ride like you can't believe.

Sarcasm at its finest!!

OK_Jackrabbit
03-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Wow, if you have the kind of success that this sd man guy thinks you are going to have I am going to change allegiance and become the biggest sdsu fan around. That guy would make Norman Vincent Peale look like an eternal pessimist
Good reference, Jake.

"Formulate and stamp indelibly on your mind a mental picture of yourself as succeeding. Hold this picture tenaciously. Never permit it to fade. Your mind will seek to develop the picture...Do not build up obstacles in your imagination."

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
03-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Speaking of UNO, what are the pairings at the regional tourney? I saw the USD is going in as a 3 seed and Metro as the 1, but nothing else. I couldn't find any of that info on the Argus.com, which struck me as odd since USD is supposedly South Dakota's team.

bigjake
03-07-2005, 07:05 PM
OKLA-Jackrabbit, I know you are professorial and I suspect you could probably give Ken Jennings a run for his money and I know that visualization usually helps one succeed...
but I have always visualized myself from 10 on as a star tailback in the NFL. I could picture it beautifully. Now that I am 48 I just don't think that is going to happen. So yes I enjoy the theory behind what you are saying but the application has been a real problem.
KInd of like that SDMan picturing sdsu in the final 4. I am sure he has a clear mental picture of that ,too and something tells me that PROBABLY won't happen either. But we can all dream!!

sports_buff
03-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Speaking of UNO, what are the pairings at the regional tourney? I saw the USD is going in as a 3 seed and Metro as the 1, but nothing else. I couldn't find any of that info on the Argus.com, which struck me as odd since USD is supposedly South Dakota's team.

Metro #1 vs. Northern State #8
Mankato #4 vs. Fort Lewis #5
UNO #2 vs. Winona St. #7
USD #3 vs. Nebraska Kearney #6

Kearney will be a tough match up for us. They are the ones who beat USD out of the regionals last year. I was excited to see they lost a couple of games early in the year, then I found out there two best players weren't playing in those games, now I'm not as excited as I was. They should be pretty tough--they were the #1 seed in the RMAC conference tourney.
NSU will have their hands full, it would be great to see them pull off a big upset, I don't see that happening though. I'm still pissed that UNO isn't hosting, not that I think they deserved it over Metro, I just really wanted to go to the regionals, Denver is a little too far.

OK_Jackrabbit
03-08-2005, 11:40 AM
OKLA-Jackrabbit, I know you are professorial and I suspect you could probably give Ken Jennings a run for his money and I know that visualization usually helps one succeed...
but I have always visualized myself from 10 on as a star tailback in the NFL. I could picture it beautifully. Now that I am 48 I just don't think that is going to happen. So yes I enjoy the theory behind what you are saying but the application has been a real problem.
KInd of like that SDMan picturing sdsu in the final 4. I am sure he has a clear mental picture of that ,too and something tells me that PROBABLY won't happen either. But we can all dream!!
Ken Jennings would kick my butt. I'm lost without google handy to look up stuff like that quote.

Mavericks#1
03-09-2005, 05:24 AM
I am not much worried about Winona State. If your mens team beat them by 11 then anybody should be able to beat them. We are involved in March Madness while you just got done with February Frustration. Big difference.

Mavs #1

OK_Jackrabbit
03-09-2005, 06:18 AM
I am not much worried about Winona State. If your mens team beat them by 11 then anybody should be able to beat them. We are involved in March Madness while you just got done with February Frustration. Big difference.

Mavs #1
I won't get testy about that critique of SDSU as long as UNO beats Winona and then USD (assuming USD can get past Kearney).

89rabbit
03-09-2005, 06:22 AM
When was the last time that UNO won a Regional game? ???

Go State! ;D

Alumguy
03-09-2005, 06:50 AM
Mav #1, congratulations on being involved with March Madness. It doesn't happen very often for UNO so it must be a very special feeling.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
03-09-2005, 03:13 PM
ouch

Crashola
03-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Mav #1, congratulations on being involved with March Madness. It doesn't happen very often for UNO so it must be a very special feeling.

Of course, it's much easier now in the "new" NCC!

bigjake
03-09-2005, 05:02 PM
During Coach Mckenna's first season in 2001-2 we beat Ft Lewis in regionals by about 30 points. I am surprised you people don't remember that bc if I remember right sdsu was at the same regional. So we have had some post season success. We don't have all the national championship banners you have but let's be frank here -most of those banners you have were a long long time ago. (exception being women's bb but as I have said before that is just fluff around the edges).

SiouxFallsJack
03-09-2005, 06:08 PM
I do recall SDSU playing in that regional. Does anyone remember the outcome of following UNO game that year? ;) ;D ;D

Alumguy
03-10-2005, 03:09 AM
bigjake, you evidently have fluff around YOUR edges. Why do you repeatedly put down women's athletics? You and the President of Harvard must have spent time in the same cave.

SiouxFallsJack
03-12-2005, 08:08 PM
Hey mav, guess you should have been worried about Winona. Look on the bright side, now you don't have to worry about playing Metro.

bigjake
03-12-2005, 08:50 PM
I wasn't as optimistic as Mav1 was but did think we would get by winona. But I had no illusions about making the elite 8. Not good team chemistry and poor overall shooting all year long. Help is on the way - we have a good chance to be better next year. No excuses
for this year.
On the other hand our D1 hockey team is going to the CCHA Super 6 in Detroit which is a nice accomplishment and our wrestling team = National Champs. Overall it was a much better weekend at UNO than you have had thus far in LIncoln but you do deserve props for trying to compete with a very good bb program down in Lincoln.

SDSUFAN
03-13-2005, 04:09 AM

Mavs #1

Great comment, looks like the Mav worries are over for this season. Two chokes in a row. I just love it. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mavericks#1
03-13-2005, 06:35 AM
SDSU fan,

Morningside...enough said. Future looks bright for UNO mens basketball with this 6-11 kid stuck in the lane for the next four years along with a point guard in Matt Culliver that some are comparing to Josh Dotzler the all star Creighton recruit. 29 points 15 rebounds and 7 blocks are you kidding me!!!!

March 13, 2005

Pleasanton's big man makes short work of Humphrey SF

LINCOLN - Pleasanton teams of the past had been more dominant during the regular season than this year's squad, but the Bulldogs did not have that dominant player.

Gabe Zwiener was that dominant player Saturday.

The 6-foot-11 University of Nebraska at Omaha recruit scored 29 points, grabbed 15 rebounds and blocked seven shots to lead Pleasanton to a 70-48 win over Humphrey St. Francis in the Class D-1 state championship game at the Devaney Center.

Bulldog players, and members of the community, talked this week about the 78 years that have elapsed since Pleasanton's first state title.

"That was a big factor," Zwiener said. "We came out here knowing we hadn't won since 1927. We really wanted to give something to our fans. This is a great feeling."

Eighth-seeded St. Francis (15-10) shot just 30 percent from the field during the final three quarters. Its inside tandem of Elliot Sjuts and Ben Tasa, who had scored 16 and 18 points, respectively, in Friday's semifinals, combined to make just 7 of 31 shots.

The Flyers committed five second-quarter turnovers, and six in the third, and often Pleasanton's Justin Epley converted them into fast-break baskets. Epley made four steals and scored 13 points, while his backcourt mate Kyle Cruise scored 12, had seven rebounds and dished six assists.

"Their guards, give them credit, they handled our pressure," St. Francis Coach Eric Kessler said. "We were hoping with our 1-3-1 we'd be able to pressure their guards enough to make it difficult for (Zwiener) to get the basketball."

Pleasanton made two-thirds of its field-goal attempts and trailed for only 86 seconds, the last time at 21-20. The Bulldogs then scored 16 straight points, and the margin never again dipped below 13 points.

Cruise found Zwiener and his 6-6 freshman brother Elijah open for close-range shots.

"We moved the ball around quickly and tried to get Gabe open at the free-throw line as much as we could," Cruise said. "He's a pretty good shooter there, and once he gets it, he sees the whole court."

Pleasanton Coach Randy Bauer had taken the Bulldogs to D-1 title games in 1996 and 1997, and they had also reached the Devaney Center in 1984, 1988 and 1991. The Pleasanton trophy case holds runner-up trophies from all five trips.

"We told the guys, it's wide open. There's a not a dominant team in D-1," Bauer said. "It's kind of like, when you least expect it, it happens."

Back-to-back midseason losses to D-2 state runner-up Loomis forced the Bulldogs to refocus their defensive efforts. They responded with eight straight wins to end the season, and 78 years without gold.

And Gabe Zwiener was a dominant reason.

"He's a big-game player," Bauer said. "At state, he's had three complete ballgames."

89rabbit
03-13-2005, 07:19 AM
When was the last time that UNO won a Regional game? ???

Go State! ;D

Jack
03-13-2005, 09:04 AM
Maverick, your stupid. Enough said.

SDSUFAN
03-13-2005, 08:22 PM
For those unfamiliar with Nebraska High School Classifications, D-1 is the second to the bottom, these are the schools that have 40 kids or so. A 6-11 kid coming out of one of these schools will probably be red shirted as this guy is a project. There would not be many 6-7 guys in D1, let alone 6-11, so this hot shot has never been challenged. Does Jared DeJong ring a bell? And he came from Orange City much larger program than Pleasanton. Pleasanton is just 20 miles north of Kearney. Looks like Tom Kropp, UNK coach looked this kid and said no thank you. ;D

Mavericks#1
03-14-2005, 04:55 AM
SDSU fan,

I have seen this kid play and his is no Jared Dejong or whatever his name is. He has some athletic ability and moves real well. The UNO coaches assured me that there will be some schools including the likes of SDSU that will have wished they would have given this kid a closer look. You might be eating your words in four or five years.
IMO it was worth the schollie to see how the kid pans out.

Mavs #1

89rabbit
03-14-2005, 06:18 AM
Who cares how good he is. We will never see him play.

Go State! ;D

Rabbitlivinginverm
03-14-2005, 07:15 AM

Mavs #1

Mav,

Shut up and eat your crow like a man. Hope you enjoyed march madness.... ;D

89rabbit
03-14-2005, 07:23 AM
Yum yum. ;) ;D

http://www.nature.ca/notebooks/images/crow.gif

Go State! ;D

jackrabbit1979
03-14-2005, 07:29 AM
I have to admit Mav and Big Jake have a pretty good gig going on. They can come here and talk trash all they want when UNO is doing well and SDSU is struggling, but if UNO starts to struggle they can dissapear into their oblivious lives. It's not like we can, or would, go to the UNO message board and ask them about it.

SDSUFAN
03-14-2005, 07:32 AM
SDSU fan,

I have seen this kid play and his is no Jared Dejong or whatever his name is. He has some athletic ability and moves real well. The UNO coaches assured me that there will be some schools including the likes of SDSU that will have wished they would have given this kid a closer look. You might be eating your words in four or five years.
IMO it was worth the schollie to see how the kid pans out.

Mavs #1

Maybe you should worry about WSU, that Winona State University. Are you going to help with this 6-11 projectz?

Mavericks#1
03-14-2005, 07:40 AM
Thanks for asking, I did enjoy March Madness. How did you enjoy February Sadness? I noticed that Morningside didn't even make the NAIA playoffs. How bad does that loss look now? I think Nebraska just hit another Home Run. Your gonna need one of your Algebra Professors to figure out your pitching staffs ERA after this weekend.

Mavs#1

P.S. Comment on Husker Board on 6-11 stud that we signed. I am not the only one that thinks the kid has some talent.

D-1 final game shows a nice 6-11 recruit for UNO

Gabe Zwiener looks like he has a big upside. Two dunks, 10-11 from the free throw line, a 3 pointer, and a great one hand bounce pass assist on the front end of a fast break.

89rabbit
03-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Mav,

Shut up and eat your crow like a man. Hope you enjoyed march madness.... ;D

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
03-14-2005, 11:08 AM
We have two 6'11" recruits. Not to get all "my dad can beat up your dad" on you, but we'll see your 6'11" recruit and raise you one. Just thought that warranted mentioning.

Good luck, to USD. I'm not real excited USD is doing well, but getting the SD name out there is good for all native SDakotans. For that, I hope they do well. Also, I have a big distaste for Metro.

JBNJBQ
03-14-2005, 04:18 PM
I have to admit Mav and Big Jake have a pretty good gig going on. They can come here and talk trash all they want when UNO is doing well and SDSU is struggling, but if UNO starts to struggle they can dissapear into their oblivious lives. It's not like we can, or would, go to the UNO message board and ask them about it.

You can find them at

http://www.I.R.Idiot.com

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ