This can't be fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This can't be fun

I know this dead horse has been beaten over a hundred times, but after seeing how well your baseball team did this weekend against Nebraska, I fail to see how this D1 thing can be fun. Nebraska outscored you 54-10 in four games. They hit 5 home runs in one inning, two guys hit two each in one inning!! Your outfielders are going to have to have their necks readjusted from watching all those balls leave the yard. The Omaha World Hearld called it batting practice. I am assuming that Nebraska even semi-tried. Nebraska while being a very good team is by no way one of the better teams in the country and this is coming from a Husker fan. I hope as your team bus went through Omaha they saw Rosenblatt Stadium because that is the closest they will ever come to playing there. Playing athletics my whole life one thing that upset me more than anything was when your team was getting their arse kicked and the other team didn't even respect you.
    I am sure the Nebraska team was in the dugout talking about their girlfriends and what party they were going to that night, not even paying attention to who they were playing. Non-pitchers were probably begging Coach Anderson to let them throw a few innings. I know you guys don't care about winning anymore and its all about the experience of chest bumping each other that you are D1. But we at UNO will stick to winning National Championships and conference titles while you serve as batting practice for the rest of D1.

Mavs #1

Re: This can't be fun

Well I guess we could worry about Winona. Since UNO didnt maybe we should. BTW our alleged horrible men's bb took care of Winona. I know we were not suppose to but we did.

Oh I am sure the Huskers feel good about their wins, but SDSU sees this as an opportunity to develope our program. No one said we would even win one game.

When does UNO play the Huskers in baseball?

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
      Nebraska while being a very good team is by no way one of the better teams in the country and this is coming from a Husker fan.
                                   Mavs #1
      You must not be much of a Nebraska fan .  .  . the Huskers are ranked #22 in the nation.  I would say that is "one of the better teams".  They have also been to every NCAA tourney from '99 through '03.  Maybe you should spend some more time being a fan of the D-I school in your state and spend less time annoying the D-I fans in this state.

That being said the fact that we played the Huskers close in game one UN 7 - SDSU 2 tells me that we can compete we just don't have the depth to stand toe to toe with one of the elite programs yet in a 4 game series.  But we will grow into it.  I guess that is why they call what we are doing transition.  :  Finally as far as Rosenblatt Stadium goes, the Jacks are not eligible for the NCAA D-I tourney until '08-'09, the UNO Mavs will NEVER be eligible for the NCAA D-I tourney.

I guess for UNO it is all about playing in obscuity and having no D-II playoff success, at least not in the money sports of Football and Men's and Women's Basketball.  Remind everyone how you did .  .  .  oh never mind I remember. Football, won the NCC but didn't even get an invite to the playoffs, one and done in Men's baseketball (just like last year), no invite for the Women's basketball team.  It is sad really, now that all the good teams are gone you are still having trouble winning when it counts.

Go State!  ;D

P.S. It was a blast beating Butler this past week!  8)

Comment

This is a funny line from the Creighton board.

We cannot lose to these guys. nebraska used them for pinatas

Comment

And yet Creigton needed to score during their last two at bats to get a come from behind win in  the second game 3-2.

SDSU's next game is against the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame.  UNO's next game is against the Ichabods of Washburn.  It is good to be D-I.  8)

By the way for some of our new board members who might be wondering who or what UNO is, I have a little quiz for you.

UNO is?  

A.  UNO = Card Game
          B.  UNO = Pizza Place
          C.  UNO = University of New Orleans
          D.  UNO = 2nd best College in Omaha (D-II commuter school, University of Nebraska Omaha)

Go State, South Dakota's only D-I University!  ;D

Comment

Before you get to excited about playing Creighton close,here are a few things you need to know. First of all the both games of the double header were 7 innings, this makes it easier to keep the game close if you get a few breaks and can play well for 4 or 5 innings. This also makes your first game (which nobody wants to talk about) look like more of a blowout. You had one hit and and Creighton scored 13 runs. They might have gotten 20 if they had 2 more innings. If you had beaten them, so what?? UNO has beaten Creighton 52 times in baseball!! We almost own the all time series against them 52-53. I have provided a website for those who don't believe it. (Notice we have beaten SDSU over 67 times.) 89 Rabbitt for your comment about playing Notre Dame. We play Michigan State in Hockey on Thursday, so whats your point? You guys are so into playing big name schools regardless if they are taking you behind the woodshed. I on the other hand am into winning. If we lose to Michigan State on Thursday, I'm pi**ed. I could care less that they are a big name school. So continue on enjoying the experience and I will continue enjoying winning.

http://gomavs.unomaha.edu/files/basebpress.pdf

Mavs #1

P.S. For those of you who always call UNO a card game. I have no problem with that. At least in that game,winning matters. If SDSU was a card game there would be no winners and losers. It would be all wrapped up in enjoying the experience. Everyone would feel warm and fuzzy. Very boring game!

Comment

UNO has hockey??  
              That's how much we care about UNO and about hockey.

Here's another quiz question for ya...

Who's the favorite to win the Stanley Cup this year?

a. who cares
              b. who cares
              c. who cares
              d. all of the above

uno's philosophy on march madness, "it's not about winning, it's about the experience." (thanks buff, or whoever uses that tagline)

Comment

Mav, Thanks for the info. I was unaware that Michigan State has a hockey program.

Comment

Your welcome ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Wow, Mav#1 took a picture of himself to accompany his posts.

Comment

Oh, one more thing, at least now we know what he looks like.

Comment

I know he is not here to defend himself but I did need to point this out.  Maybe in 30 days or so he can respond.

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
                        89 Rabbitt for your comment about playing Notre Dame. We play Michigan State in Hockey on Thursday, so whats your point?  

Baseball Team Defeats Notre Dame

EVANSVILLE, IN - Charles H. Braun Stadium in Evansville has, in a sense, become the home away from home for the South Dakota State baseball team.

On March 6, SDSU claimed its first victory over a Division I team when the Jacks defeated Butler at Evansville.

Saturday, the Jacks returned to Braun Stadium and defeated Notre Dame 13-7.  .  .  .

And then .  .  .

Michigan State Ends Mav Season, 5-0

Early Power Play Goals Lift Spartans

DETROIT, MICH. – Jim Slater and Drew Miller each handed out three assists and five different players scored goals for Michigan State as the Spartans eliminated the Mavericks from the CCHA Super Six with a 5-0 decision Thursday night at Joe Louis Arena.  .  .  .

Beyond us winning and you losing, I guess my point is that SDSU is a D-I school and UNO is a D-II that plays D-I in one sport - hockey.  You seem to be pretty excited about your hockey program, could it be because it is D-I?  :-/  :  If so I can understand.  It is good to compete at the D-I level.  It is even better to be a D-I school.  8)

Go State!  ;D

P.S. It was great fun beating Notre Dame!

Comment

[quote author=89rabbit You seem to be pretty excited about your hockey program, could it be because it is D-I?  :-/  :  If so I can understand.  It is good to compete at the D-I level.  It is even better to be a D-I school.  8)

[/quote]

To Mavs defense he seems pretty excited about all UNO athletic programs. He talks about their Football and basketball programs a lot more than he does their hockey program. When he mentions hockey it's things like "we play Michigan state, big deal."

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff
                            To Mavs defense he seems pretty excited about all UNO athletic programs. He talks about their Football and basketball programs a lot more than he does their hockey program. When he mentions hockey it's things like "we play Michigan state, big deal."
                            sports_buff,

You are close but, I think it is more like "we play big time schools too". Going back to baseball (a subject I know is a little sore for you Yote fans), where this thread started, which is the more impressive win - SDSU over Notre Dame or UNO over Washburn? Even you as a Coyote fan must admit that the win over the Fighting Irish is a much bigger deal then the Mav's win over the Ichabods.

Go State, South Dakota's only D-I University! 8)

Comment

Surprised you even know they are the Ichabods 89.

Comment

Working...
                              X