Mary and Upper Iowa join the Norhtern Sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary and Upper Iowa join the Norhtern Sun

Not really smack but here is the newsrelease on the Nothern Sun inviting Upper Iowa and University of Mary to join their conference.

http://www.northernsun.org/upper%20i...%20release.pdf

Re: Mary and Upper Iowa join the Norhtern Sun

Originally posted by Rabbit74
    Not really smack but here is the newsrelease on the Nothern Sun inviting Upper Iowa and University of Mary to join their conference.

They didn't take Si Tanka Huron? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74

This has been in the works for awhile. NCC couldn't convince Mary to consider them. I wonder what the next year will bring the NCC?
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

IMO, these additions will help offset future movements from the NSIC to the NCC. Winona State seems to me to be on the way up in terms of an over-all athletic department. They have a former football hero who works full time on corporate sponsorships and fund raising. When SDSU played their two years ago, Wells Fargo Bank served free hotdogs throughout the entire game. I don't think WSU was doing that well on concessions and Wells Fargo's sponorship seem to get the people out for the game. The little staduim was packed that day.

The WSU Football program has been sucessful and will continue to be so.  The AD is one of the fb assistants so that program is never begging for cash. They have skyboxes and other improvement scheduled for this year.  They seem to be doings thing right in Winona, more so than some of the other NSIC members.  Also Southwest Minn State U. seems to be making improvement too. They have a new football staduim to be built this summer and have a great deal of hope in that Eric Eidness will bring their football program to a new level.  

The NSIC has 10 memebers with these two additions, but I think the NSIC is worried about graduations to the NCC. I think SWMSU and WSU whose football programs are on the rise may want to go beyond the 21 or so limit of football scholarships that is the current cap in the NSIC. They may choose to move to the NCC once their resources expand above their current budgets.

Over on the Argus forums and on D2 football, people have been hinting that Augustana may move to the NSIC since there is consideration being given to Western Washington and Central Washington becoming affliate members of the NCC for football. Augie apparently is not crazy about making the trips to the west coast that will not pay guarentees if these two schools become affliate members of the NCC.

Also on the Argus forum some have hinted that President Halverson at Augustana is not a athletic guy and kind of tolerates the athletic dept as a necessary evil. No wonder carrots and dead rabbits were thrown in those last games between SDSU and Augie.

This is all speculation on my part, but athletics seem to be  on the minds of nearly administator of every public and private school in the upper mid-west. The big question is do we expand or contract?

Do you suspose that NDSU and SDSU move to D1 has had an impact on these schools? I think so.

Comment

Working...
        X