SDSU vs USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU vs USD

Will the Jacks and USD ever get back on the field and court. I would rather see us play USD than a DIII school. I think it's time to put the grudges and pettiness
    aside and begin playing again in 2006/2007. I'm not sure in football if it would be a fair fight as the Jacks would be at 50 scholarships and USD 36 if the max in DII stands. Basketball we should be playing every year even if its an exhibition game . I still feel a game in Vermillion should be once in a blue moon if ever. I think the logical sequence is one year Brookings and the next in Sioux Falls.

Re: SDSU vs USD

I would also like to see us play again, as long as we win. Playing us as always been USD's nat'l championship so if we played and lost in the future it would hurt me as much as it would feel good for them.

I like the idea of Brookings then Sx Falls for BBall. That would be a great double header, even if exhibition. I wish we could come to terms. I think we will in the future when usd realizes were not coming down there ever again. The chances of that are about as likely as usd winning a conference champ in baseball :-/

That could even work for football. One year in Brookings, the next in Sx. Falls.

We shall see...

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
      I would also like to see us play again, as long as we win.  Playing us as always been USD's nat'l championship so if we played and lost in the future it would hurt me as much as it would feel good for them.

I like the idea of Brookings then Sx Falls for BBall.  That would be a great double header, even if exhibition.  I wish we could come to terms.  I think we will in the future when usd realizes were not coming down there ever again.  The chances of that are about as likely as usd winning a conference champ in baseball :-/

That could even work for football.  One year in Brookings, the next in Sx. Falls.

We shall see...
      I sure hope they work something out. I don't know why you act like State v. USD game was always a lot bigger to USD than it was SDSU. It was big for both teams. The season wasn't the same without playing State. I missed getting to Cubby's at about 11am, drinking all day, and then going to the game.
      I would love to see the game be held in SF.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff

I sure hope they work something out.  I don't know why you act like State v. USD game was always a lot bigger to USD than it was SDSU.  It was big for both teams.  The season wasn't the same without playing State. I missed getting to Cubby's at about 11am, drinking all day, and then going to the game.  
        I would love to see the game be held in SF.
        I agree that the game held the same level of importance for both players and fans at the two schools.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII

I agree that the game held the same level of importance for both players and fans at the two schools.
          No doubt the game was important. But, imo, SDSU looked foward to conference and nat'l championships first, then beating USD. USD put beating SDSU on the top of their lists. I'm not saying USD didn't have the goal of winning a championship, it just didn't seem as important to them as it did to SDSU.

Comment

I don't mind that we don't play USD any more, and I don't care if we ever do again. It was a rivalry game that got alot of attention, but, over the years I have soured on it.

Competition aside, it seems USD has lost all respect for a sporting rivalry between the two schools. Even their PA announcers get into it by calling the Jacks the "bunnies" every time they get a chance. The classless way their administration handled the "Beat State, Not Your Wife" scenario is another example of how the entire campus has a "little man's" complex when it comes to dealing with State.

Besides. They aren't as competitive as they think they are.

Go State.

Comment

You might want to look into the results on that one GoJacks. The U hasn't been a slouch. State has won more football games in the last 12 years they have been competitive(but I will give you State is better in FB)I still think the U has the alltime lead. Men's BB might suprise you over the last 10 years. State has alltime lead but The U has the advantage over the last 10 yrs.
              Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

I think the Jacks hold a slight advantage in the last 10 for mens bball.  Womens isn't even close.  Does anyone know of a sight where one might look up these stats.  The schools webpage only archieve so far back.  Maybe someone has a program from last year.

Comment

I have a Volante (usd student paper, so take it for whats it worth, i guess) article from last year discussing the rivalry before the last game at USD. The article (which may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time) stated that State had all-time lead of 112-87 (80 years of playing bb) but over the last 10 years, the U had a 11-10 advantage. The U won that game, purely on the obscene play of little-known and now unused Yote Brock Seim (kid played out of his frickn mind that night). The Yotes then defeated State in Omaha. That makes it 13-10 Yotes over the last 10 years (assuming the Volante was correct on the 11-10 advantage). My point was GoJacks stated the Yotes haven't been competitive, that's all.
                  Southern Pecan

Comment

I could care less if we ever play the u again, I would much rather see Wyoming, Minnesota, Nebraska, NDSU, Iowa, or Iowa St. as our regional rivalry game. I'm in agreement that I will never miss the behavior exhibited at usd games

Comment

From the attendance figures last year, it looks like the NDSU rivalry is off to a great start. All that is left is few memorable games and spats to help intensify the battles.

Southern Pecan

Comment

We will develop a great rivalry with NDSU (see last years FB game) But it will never have the visceral hatred like usd. SDSU and NDSU are so similar in so many ways it would be like hating yourself, The rivalry as I see it with NDSU is born out of respect. But its a school I want to beat every time . The braggin rights of the Dakota Territory go with that win!!!

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF
                           Men's BB might suprise you over the last 10 years. State has alltime lead but The U has the advantage over the last 10 yrs.
                          The past ten years ('94/'95 - '04/'05) SDSU has a 12-9 advantage over the U in Men's basketball. All time SDSU leads 114-87.  8)

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary...Guide_2004.pdf

By the way the '04-'05 Men's Basketball Media guide is finally on line.  :-/

Go State!  ;D

Comment

you are correct State won more, my bad. I count usd 11-13. I was going on 93-94 to 03-04 since we didn't play this year. That does count some early domination of the Soderberg coached teams (isn't he now coach at St. Louis, for the time being). I guess that is what I get for using the Volante as a source :-X
                            Southern Pecan

Comment

Sad to use football and men's basketball as a barometer of superiority of one program versus another. I think we ought to come out of the caves and think about women's athletics, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X