PDA

View Full Version : D-II, D-III, NAIA, and other lesser divisions

89rabbit
12-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Awhile back JBNJBQ started a thread for non-D-I posters to smack on. Looks like it is time to bring it back, however it was already pretty full so I started a new one.

Here you go guys rant away.

SDsportsFan
12-06-2004, 02:17 PM
What happened to the thread that was talking about Mueller breaking the USD assist record. I know I saw it earlier, but I'm not sure where. i wanted to reply to it but I can't find where it is at. Does anyone know what thread it's under? ???

gojacksgo
12-06-2004, 02:18 PM
thought it was under basketball thread....but mayb enot

89rabbit
12-06-2004, 02:19 PM
The thread had no relevance to SDSU or it's fans so it was removed.

The Moderator*

P.S. It would have been a great topic for the USD board, if they had one. ;) ;D

SDsportsFan
12-06-2004, 02:22 PM
The thread had no relevance to SDSU or it's fans so it was removed.

The Moderator*

Thanks for the quick reply, I was driving myself crazy looking for that thread.

sports_buff
12-30-2004, 02:14 PM
Whats going on, my posts are even being pulled when I'm posting in the section that I was told to. Why is that?

89rabbit
12-30-2004, 02:17 PM
*From the Moderator

Same rules apply here as on the rest of the smack board. The board is almost 2 years old and no one has been banned, would you like to be first? If so keep it up.

1stRowFANatic
12-30-2004, 04:12 PM
i just saw the update to this thread, and am not really happy that the thread on USD's Mueller was removed. "No relevance to SDSU or its fans" seems a bit strong to me. I am a SDSU fan first and foremost, however, I am also interested in what is going on at the other institutions in the area. Does it have relevance to SDSU? I believe it does. His march to the record will be covered by the local media, which means limited media time will be going to USD. Is it the most relevant thing to SDSU? IMO, not even close, but there is some relevance there.

I am concerned that many on this board are willing to dish it out to anyone who comes on, but can't take it back from those posters. If "fun and entertaining" is the standard the moderator chooses to use (and he does get to set the standard), we all need to know what constitutes "fun and entertaining." What I think would meet that definition clearly is not what the board thinks meets the definition (see my thread trying to find out the stories behind the members names which had very few responses). So I know I cannot use my judgment, just want to know what judgment to use.

89rabbit
12-30-2004, 04:26 PM
1stRow,

Let me introduce you to the Argus Leader Forum. It is far more encompassing then our board. You can post about almost any topic over there. They have a USD section so the Mueller thing would be appropriate at that site.

http://www.argusleaderonline.com/forum/

If you have concerns about this board please feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss it further.

1stRowFANatic
12-30-2004, 08:51 PM
I don't need any introduction to any other board. As for discussions about how the board is being run, I believe needs to be done in the open for everyone to see and understand.

89rabbit
12-30-2004, 10:02 PM
I don't need any introduction to any other board. As for discussions about how the board is being run, I believe needs to be done in the open for everyone to see and understand.

1stRow,

I know you "don't need" an introduction to another board. However, in your previous post you expressed that you were "interested in what is going on at the other institutions in the area" so I thought you might find the Argus Forum helpful since it's boards cover a greater variety of subjects including other schools in the area.

Next I ask you to look at my "in the open" response to your request for clarification, that took place just an hour and 10 min. after you asked for it. Me asking you to send me a PM if you wanted to discuss it further was to avoid any misunderstanding and hard feelings rather then some sort of secretive plot. For goodness sake we are talking about a fan bulletin board not how your tax dollars are going to be spent by the county commission. No need to invoke the freedom of information act or anything.

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Smack;action=display;num=1104421733

Finally let me end by saying I appreciate your imput however as I have said before, and will no doubt say again, this is an SDSU Fan board and my efforts are focused on the SDSU Fan, not the posters from other schools.

1stRow, I value you as a member and I think you add a lot to the board. It seems we may have a difference of opionion on this issue and I hope there are no hard feelings over this matter. (this is far more personal then I would usually get on the board, but in the spirt of being "in the open" I thought I would post it for all to see). Thanks again and keep cheering for the Jackrabbits! :D

Go State! ;D

bigjake
01-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Actually I have attended many women's sporting events and particularily enjoy Creighton women's basketball this year. But at most universities it is "fluff around the edges". Gosh, I have seen Creighton women play KU, Ne and Minn at home this year and we won two of them. I think the biggest crowd was 1500 which is nothing more than a small niche they have or as I have put it "fluff around the edges". Their women deserve more support than that but that is the way it is at most universities. Nothing against the women. That is a good number for a d2 school but not for a d1 school and that is why I consider women's bb as "fluff around the edges" at many schools. People aren't that interested except at the very elite program schools.
Your women have done some nice things this basketball season but apparently many of your fans think the same as I do based on your attendance.
sw mn 1049
mankato 1405 (Also, I don't know how you gauge attendance but a lot of schools fudge their nos. upward. Don't know about sdsu but it is common to do that.
concordia 1129
eau claire 1141
loras 715
ferris 609
Those numbers do not merit a sport being considered a marquee sport. That is why I will always measure your success on the sports that your people care about. People care most about men's bb and fb. Whatever team is in 3rd place I don't know - but I suspect it is a distant 3rd.
****This belongs in another thread but I am not allowed in that thread.

89rabbit
01-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Your women have done some nice things this basketball season but apparently many of your fans think the same as I do based on your attendance.
sw mn 1049
mankato 1405 (Also, I don't know how you gauge attendance but a lot of schools fudge their nos. upward. Don't know about sdsu but it is common to do that.
concordia 1129
eau claire 1141
loras 715
ferris 609
Those numbers do not merit a sport being considered a marquee sport.

Those numbers would be really good nights for UNO's Men's Program. ;)

OK_Jackrabbit wrote:

UNO
6 home dates. Average attendance: 845

12/11: 625
12/7: 950
11/27: 1150
11/26: 950
11/21: 500
11/18: 1200

Interesting. Very ROUND numbers there. Amazing that exactly the same number of people came to the 11/26 and 12/7 games.

I think they're using the USD Crowd Estimation System (USDCES, patent-pending). SDSU actually counts the number of people who enter Frost Arena. What a concept.

Go State! ;D

Mavericks#1
01-02-2005, 05:26 AM
I was noticing that I have been promoted to sophomore on this messageboard (fun). I wondered if that makes me eligible for some sort of prize or plaque (fun). Why is there no juniors on this site?
I just want you to know 89 Rabbitt that one my 2005 new years resolutions is to get more posts than you have (entertaining). It will be tough since I am confined to this thread. But with Lance Armstrong like determination (I am wearing one of his live strong bracelets you know) I will surpass your over 2,000 post on this board. I have consulted Bill Stienke, the famed poster of the D2 football messageboard. This guy is one of my idols along with Mike Nelke (Am I allowed to still say his name on this board) (entertaining). He averages over ten posts per day and I know that if I am going to pass you 89 rabbitt those are the type of numbers that I have to put up. This thread my end up with over 3,000 posts. I hope it can take that many.
To show that I am not all a bad guy, I would like to wish everyone a happy new year and may all your rabbitt (SDSU reference) dreams come true.

Mavs #1

89rabbit
01-02-2005, 05:50 AM
Mavs,

Best of luck to you. :D

Mavericks#1
01-08-2005, 05:23 AM
Jacks_NL

Wait....Only 1500 people came to watch the UNO,AUGIE game

Thats 200 more than came to watch your classic matchup with Wayne State (MI). Only 1,200 and change came to watch your third straight loss at home to a D2 school. How many is coming to watch you struggle to beat Buena Vista? UNO is ranked #5 and only loss came to a real D1 school in Colorado State in which they were in the game until late. Did I mention that our womens team upset #20 Augustana. While I would agree that SDSU women are very good (positive SDSU reference) , mens basketball is not a road that you want to go down in comparing the two schools.
By the way get more than 11 posts before you start talking smack. What kind of fan are you? I find it ironic that a SDSU fan has to start a UNO post to get the smack(bored) going again. Whether you like it or not your smack(bored) is would be a barren wasteland without us.

Mavs #1

bigjake
01-08-2005, 07:10 AM
We have never said that we belong in d1. 1500 for a thurs nite when it was zero degrees isn't that bad for a d2 school. People in Omaha just don't support basketball that much. Even Creighton didn't start drawing tons of people until the new arena was built.We can survive just fine with troubling attendance - according to what your AD said you are depending upon increased ticket revenue as one of your ways to help fund the move to d1. I wonder if he is troubled by your poor attendance in bb this year. Most schools have to win to draw big numbers and make some money. Maybe it is different at sdsu but I tend to doubt it.
Sure your women have done well in vb and now bb but most people just don't care that much about women's basketball that much. Look at your attendance to prove my point. Case in point - I am taking my kids today to see Creighton women play and they will be lucky to draw 1500 despite having a great shot at the MVC championship. People just don't care about the women. Look at your own women's bb attendance.
But nobody can argue UNO doesn't get support - it wouldn't have mattered if it was augie or sdsu on a thursday nite at zero. It would have been a poor showing.

JBNJBQ
01-08-2005, 07:17 AM
Didn't I read that the Auggie Women's Team's starting point guard and #1 scorer is out for the season due to an injury last week?

Wow, you beat them by 1 point on your home floor with their best player missing?

I heard you had 1500 fans at your game. I didn't know there were that many boy scouts and girl scouts in Omaha. How many free tickets does UNO give away each year?

Mavericks#1
01-08-2005, 10:19 AM
JBNJBQ,

You can actually run smack without including a picture. I am impressed (not really). If you guys lose to Buena Vista you are going to see smack like you have never seen it before. I'm sure Mayville State fans are pi**ed off that they couldn't find a way to pull out a victory against you. How's that equestrian recruiting going? I keep looking on Rivals to see if you have signed any five star equestrian recruits? As a member of PETA , I am appalled at how they treat these horses. How would you like to have someone on your back while you try and jump over puddles and high fences. Look for Pamela Anderson ;D ;D and myself to be picketing outside one of your meets.
Congrats to you JBNJBQ for becoming the only Junior on this site. only 146 more posts for me.

Yours truly
Mavs #1

JBNJBQ
01-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Didn't I read that the Auggie Women's Team's starting point guard and #1 scorer is out for the season due to an injury last week?

Wow, you beat them by 1 point on your home floor with their best player missing?

I heard you had 1500 fans at your game. I didn't know there were that many boy scouts and girl scouts in Omaha. How many free tickets does UNO give away each year?

There are only so many idiot pictures available on the www. You and fat jake have used them all up. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

But as the saying goes. " an idiot by any other name would still smell!" ;D ;D ;D ;D

It is impossible to carry on an intelligent conversation with an IDIOT because they won't answer your questions. They fly off in another direction. I'm not surprised to hear that you are member of PETA, what with all of the barnyard animals you have dated in your life. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I saw a pickup pulling a two horse trailer the other day and for a moment I thought it was you and Fat Jake peaking out of the back of the trailer, but it was just the rear end of the horses. It's hard to tell the difference! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Here is a little balad for you and fat jake (from some of your relatives):

http://www.funnyjunk.com/pages/horses.htm

If you cross a donkey with a horse what do you get?

Maverstink and Fat Jake!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

89rabbit
01-08-2005, 02:07 PM
JBNJBQ,

Congrats to you JBNJBQ for becoming the only Junior on this site. only 146 more posts for me.

JackJD is also currently a member of the Jr. class.

Mavericks#1
01-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Sorry for the oversight 89 Rabbitt. Did you go out to San Diego?I saw Bill Waltons kid only scored 3 points. If you did go out you didn't bring any of the weather back with you. Thanks for easing off the delete button.

Mavericks#1
01-08-2005, 02:49 PM
May I ask what lamb bonanza is ? Is that basketballs version of Hobo Days?

89rabbit
01-08-2005, 03:59 PM
May I ask what lamb bonanza is ? Is that basketballs version of Hobo Days?

More like the Beef Bowl.

JackJD
01-08-2005, 06:13 PM
I had so many posts because I reported on a game for some fans who couldn't pick up a radio broadcast or a webcast.

89rabbit
01-08-2005, 06:24 PM
JackJD has moved into the Sr. class. :)

Mavericks#1
01-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Good news/bad news on the Maverick front. Women upset second top twenty team in two days beating the Sioux in overtime. Men get upset by the Sioux at home and might drop out of the top ten.

Mavericks#1
01-08-2005, 08:29 PM
If you cross a donkey with a horse what do you get?

Only in South Dakota is cross breeding part of the culture. The hillbilly nation should know all about that.
Maybe you could cross the two to see if it could make your equestrian team. Donkeys can kick real good, I am just not sure how well they jump puddles.

Mavs #1

P.S. Nice win Rabbitts over Buena Vista (added to increase my chances of not getting my post deleted). Hope it works. ;) ;)

Mavericks#1
01-09-2005, 06:23 AM
We UNO fans take some smack for our lack of fan support and rightly so and you SDSU fans are proud of your loyal fans which you should be. But UNO gets 2,600 at its game last night (which is sad) but SDSU gets only 1,300 at yours???? When UNO doubles your attendence, in my humble opinion you have got some issues. Especially when it was LAMB BONANZA!! You say that you don't miss the NCC rivalries but I think your attendence at your B-ball games would say otherwise. I agree that your schedule is not filled with exciting games this year but 1,000 people?? Those are UNO type numbers. I really feel that some of the fence sitting fans are not coming. Big Jake brings a valid point in asking if that will pay the bills. This is not meant to be smack . Just asking a valid question.

OK_Jackrabbit
01-09-2005, 08:28 AM
But UNO gets 2,600 at its game last night (which is sad) but SDSU gets only 1,300 at yours????
Neither school is in session, but a little context is probably useful:

Population of the Omaha metropolitan area: 742,588
Population of Brookings "metropolitan area" (Brookings County): 28,265
(Source: U.S. Census estimates, 2003)

Also, the performance of the team might have something to do with it. UNO, last night's loss notwithstanding, is having a very good year and is a potential Elite 8 team. SDSU's men are rebuilding this year.

Does that mean SDSU will always be a bad team? No. Does that mean fans will never come back? No. History is a good guide here. SDSU has had off years before and come back to lead the nation in MBB attendance.

One bad men's basketball team doesn't mean anything in the larger scheme of things. This is a long-term process. Poor attendance at a Buena Vista game (we've played them before, have we drawn more? Probably not much more) doesn't mean the bills aren't going to get paid.

jackmd
01-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Neither school is in session, but a little context is probably useful:

Population of the Omaha metropolitan area: 742,588
Population of Brookings "metropolitan area" (Brookings County): 28,265
(Source: U.S. Census estimates, 2003)

Also, the performance of the team might have something to do with it. UNO, last night's loss notwithstanding, is having a very good year and is a potential Elite 8 team. SDSU's men are rebuilding this year.

Good assesment, but flawed in one way. None of the NCC teams will make the elite 8. The one with the best chance is over in Mankato and they simply won't have the discipline or coaching experience to get it done. USD has the guard play but won't play defense in the post-season. UNO won't be a factor on the DII national seen and should be playing just to make the regional. Just the facts jack.

Mavericks#1
01-09-2005, 09:25 AM
UNO won't be a factor on the DII national seen and should be playing just to make the regional.

Don't count against it because of the guy in the upper left hand corner. The talent is there whether you want to admit it. Last years team made the regional and this team is better. I will promise you that your season will end after your last regular season game. That will be a fact Jack.

bigjake
01-09-2005, 09:32 AM
I agree with jack md's assessment. UNO is a terrible ft shooting team and it will kill us in a lot of close games like it did last nite and we are inconsistent from 3 which allows teams to pack it in. We will lose a lot of close games against good teams
OK_Jackrabbit - I would bet that the people at sdsu are concerned about attendance and revenue and don't take the nonchalant attitude you take that somehow the bills will be paid. Yes, it is a long term process but many people and organizations run out of money in the short term. I think you are overly optimistic.
But then after Monday UNO could have more problems than sdsu has if that vote to 24 succeeds in fb scholies. Then we have some big problems and some tough decisions to make.
The problem I have always had with the 150 bottom teams in d1 is that there is really no proper place for them in most non fb sports. That is why one day I hope that the ncaa creates a 1aa for all sports that will have a couple of hundred like minded schools competing together again. SDSU may be right or UNO may be right but IMHO they both have lousy options to choose from at the present time. Seems to me that a 1aa is a perfect solution but it is probably only a pipe dream. As it is now UNO is a loser bc we are stuck in a watered down division and a watered down league. But so are you bc you a bottom feeder and will probably stay a bottom feeder for as long as d1 is structured the way it currently is.

JackJD
01-09-2005, 11:27 AM
The NCAA has a model for what Jake is saying: The old "college" division which existed until the late 70s. Back then, UNI was in the NCC. SDSU played Youngstown State (Ron Jaworski put on a show) and other teams who jumped to 1AA several years ago.

OK_Jackrabbit
01-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Good assesment, but flawed in one way. None of the NCC teams will make the elite 8. The one with the best chance is over in Mankato and they simply won't have the discipline or coaching experience to get it done. USD has the guard play but won't play defense in the post-season. UNO won't be a factor on the DII national seen and should be playing just to make the regional. Just the facts jack.

I did say "potential". And they were, before this loss, ranked #1 in the North Central region. And they'll probably end up with 23 or 24 wins. So I stand by their "potential."

bisonguy
01-09-2005, 02:59 PM
The NCAA has a model for what Jake is saying: The old "college" division which existed until the late 70s. Back then, UNI was in the NCC. SDSU played Youngstown State (Ron Jaworski put on a show) and other teams who jumped to 1AA several years ago.

The college division died in 1973, when Divisons I, II, and III were formed by the NCAA. Division I-AA was formed in 1978.

JackJD
01-09-2005, 05:10 PM
You're right, Bison.

I recall how in some sports (e.g. wrestling and cross country), the College Division, and then the D-II (don't know about D-III) individual champs advanced to the D-I championships.

Mavericks#1
01-11-2005, 07:10 AM
Who's going to win the battle of the Dakota's on Saturday? Got to go with NDSU. At least they have beaten a D2 school.

SDsportsFan
01-11-2005, 07:25 AM
I think we will beat them, being that we are at home. Hopefully we will have a big crowd on hand. I don't know though, it should be a good game. I wish we were having a double header. It's too bad that we couldn't schedule the women's game on the same night, like it is in NDSU. However, I do think we should get a good draw to both games. I'm actually looking more foward to the women's game than the men's game. But I do think our men will win.

bigjake
01-11-2005, 08:15 AM
I am picking the home team in that game but I am looking for a big upset when Bellevue comes to town. They have a great coach and some nice players and they WILL push sdsu very very hard. Last year they were leading UNO for 39min and 59 seconds of our game and your old nemesis Ty Graham made a shot at the buzzer to win it by one. Be scared of Bellevue - very scared. Fear the Bruin!! That will be the biggest victory in the history of Bellevue bb if they win that game. They also have a GREAT coach in former Creighton player Todd Eisner. In fact if our coach moves on to a better job he will probably be the Mavs next men's head coach. Fear the Bruin!!

Mavericks#1
01-11-2005, 11:24 AM
Winona State isn't gonna be a pushover either. Hell, Morningside might pull the upset (if you can call it that)and bring back the ghost of NCC past.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
01-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Those last two posts are depressing in that losses to those teams is a legitimate worry this year. It is quite obvious that we can no longer count any of our scheduled games as a "W" until we actually win the game. However, I like to use the "reloading" rather than "rebuilding" analogy. Our mens basketball program has been historically one of the best programs in the midwest, regardless of division, and we will get there again sooner than later. With every ebb there is a flow. That's just how the big pendulum of life and sports usually works.

Look at Nebraska's football program. Ten years ago you would have been thought of as crazy if you were to say that in 2004 they would be a horrible football team that wouldn't even make a bowl game. Although frustrated and angry at how their team has fallen, the majority of the "sea of red" have no doubt in their mind that Neb football will once again ride high on the college football landscape...and sooner rather than later. And I'm not even a Nebraska fan.

That's how I think most feel about the mens basketball program. We have some great young talent. We have a coach who is a proven winner, motivator and recruiter. With those positives and the historical perspective of a program that has seen many more highs than lows, I think we are right to feel good about our future. Even if that means we have to take our lumps this year.

JACKGUYII
01-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Well spoken!

jackmd
01-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Way too logical stuff from the NE boys. My take, I think we beat NDSU at Frost but there is no garuantee. As for Morningside, Bellevue and Winona St, the only concern for me is the Warriors. They have a stud who was a DI recruit but decided to stay close to home. All of us Jacks fans have seen what one great player on a mediocre DII team can do to a Nagy coached SDSU.

I'm not counting a single W until the scoreboard indicates its so, but I expect wins versus all of these teams at Frost. Of course, I expected the same against the Wayne States and was dead wrong. This SDSU team has a long ways to go if the hope to salvage anything from this season. The way I see it, things could get a lot worse and only a little better.

Mavericks#1
01-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Look at Nebraska's football program. Ten years ago you would have been thought of as crazy if you were to say that in 2004 they would be a horrible football team that wouldn't even make a bowl game. Although frustrated and angry at how their team has fallen, the majority of the "sea of red" have no doubt in their mind that Neb football will once again ride high on the college football landscape...and sooner rather than later. And I'm not even a Nebraska fan.

Had to bring up the Nebraska Football thing although I think there is some common ground with your basketball program. Watching no bowl game this year was painful, not to mention 70-10 at T-Tech. Hopefully both programs will be back.

bigjake
01-12-2005, 05:30 PM
This doesn't fit on this thread but since I am on suspension for being too negative and not a good web citizen I will comment on pat behrns here. I hope like heck the guy gets the sam houston job. We have tons of resources to work with in omaha and the guy is NEVER going to win the big one. You give dale lennon his players and he will beat uno and then trade players and dale lennon will win again. Behrns won't get the job but it would be great if he did.

Mavericks#1
01-12-2005, 05:52 PM
I have mixed feelings on Behrns. He took over this program when it was at its lowest point ever and turned it a consistent top 25 team and for that I will be forever gratefu,l but I don't know if he can bring us a championship. His track record is not good in the playoffs.

bigjake
01-13-2005, 06:50 AM
There was an interesting clip on d2fb.com recently about kennesaw st and no fla. being invited into the d1 a-sun conf. It is funny that for so long the people at ndsu and sdsu said it was impossible to stay d2 and make yourself attractive to a d1 conference and get invited that way. They said we have to go d1 right now bc we will NEVER get invited if we stay d2. Apparently kennesaw st and no fla. figured out a way to get invited directly into a d1 conference without any independent status. I have been called an idiot and a fool for asking why you just don't go kennesaw state's route and people of this site along with the ndsu/sdsu brass said it was impossible. They said you have to be d1 to be accepted into a d1 conf. Maybe you ought to talk to the good people at no fla and kennesaw state and see how they garnered an invite so quickly.

SDSUFAN
01-13-2005, 07:04 AM
There was an interesting clip on d2fb.com recently about kennesaw st and no fla. being invited into the d1 a-sun conf. It is funny that for so long the people at ndsu and sdsu said it was impossible to stay d2 and make yourself attractive to a d1 conference and get invited that way. They said we have to go d1 right now bc we will NEVER get invited if we stay d2. Apparently kennesaw st and no fla. figured out a way to get invited directly into a d1 conference without any independent status. I have been called an idiot and a fool for asking why you just don't go kennesaw state's route and people of this site along with the ndsu/sdsu brass said it was impossible. They said you have to be d1 to be accepted into a d1 conf. Maybe you ought to talk to the good people at no fla and kennesaw state and see how they garnered an invite so quickly.

Well moron aka Big Jake, what do you suppose SDSU/NDSU have been doing for the past two years? These schools have not been potted plants in trying to find a conference. The situation with Kennesay and N Florida is much different. There happens to be a conference within their area that has spots and that conference wants to expand. Its a whole different ball game down there. I dont think we would learn a great deal in giving them a ring. I am willing to bet AD's Oien and Taylor did have conversations with these two schools at the NCAA convention. Thats what the conventions are for. Members have a chance to speak one on one with other schools. Go back to your moron corner for time out. ;D

gojacksgo
01-13-2005, 07:25 AM
I agree, There are so many conferences down in that area, that it is not as hard to get an invite. They are rigth there within the region, so why wouldn't someone pick them up. On the other hand, SDSU is out of the way from many of the conferences. It is hard for people to invite them because of the travel costs, but I think they won't regret it.

Do they know what they are going to do for Football?

JBNJBQ
01-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Well moron aka Big Jake, what do you suppose SDSU/NDSU have been doing for the past two years? These schools have not been potted plants in trying to find a conference. The situation with Kennesay and N Florida is much different. There happens to be a conference within their area that has spots and that conference wants to expand. Its a whole different ball game down there. I dont think we would learn a great deal in giving them a ring. I am willing to bet AD's Oien and Taylor did have conversations with these two schools at the NCAA convention. Thats what the conventions are for. Members have a chance to speak one on one with other schools. Go back to your moron corner for time out. ;D

FatJake is a Moron?

I thought he was an IDIOT!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Mavericks#1
01-14-2005, 05:43 AM
Article on Behrns

The name of UNO Football Coach Pat Behrns popped up as a candidate for the opening at NCAA Division I-AA Sam Houston State, but it didn't faze Athletic Director David Herbster.

"It's one of those situations where he was contacted - and I don't know how formal his resume was - but he did throw his name in the hat," Herbster said. "In talking to him, I don't think he was that serious about it."

Sam Houston State announced its list of four finalists Thursday, and Behrns wasn't included.

Reached Thursday, Behrns declined to comment on his involvement with the position.

Behrns also declined to comment on whether his application indicated dissatisfaction with the athletic department at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, or the direction of NCAA Division II or the North Central Conference.

He would not comment when asked if he had applied for any other openings.

Herbster, in his third week on the job, said he wasn't disappointed that Behrns was involved with another position.

"My approach with coaches is that I want to do everything I can to keep them," he said. "But at the same time I don't want to hold anybody back if, personally and professionally, another job is the best decision for them. I'll try to make it difficult for them to leave, but if they really want to leave, then how effective will they be here?"

Herbster said he was disappointed that the names of so many candidates were released.

"Now he's identified with a position he's not even being considered for, so obviously that causes some controversy," Herbster said.

Behrns, 54, is coming off his 11th season at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. In reviving the Mavericks' program, he has built a 79-46 record with four North Central Conference championships. His first two teams were a combined 4-18, but his last nine have gone 75-28.

The winds of change are swirling around UNO.

The North Central Conference has dwindled from 10 schools to seven, and North Dakota has looked into following North Dakota State, South Dakota State and Northern Colorado into Division I.

On Monday, a proposal to cut the Division II football scholarship limit from 36 to 24 was defeated, but another scholarship reduction proposal is expected to be brought forward in the near future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mavericks#1
01-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Turner Gill IMO the best quarterback Nebraska has ever had is one of the finalists for the Sam Houston job. I think he would be a great hire for D1AA.

Mavericks#1
01-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Interesting article from UNO"S new AD. Answers questions about the direction of the program.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=1308884

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
01-14-2005, 12:09 PM
This question is not meant as a jab at the two UNO die hards. But, how can you read that article and not be worried about UNO's future? You have both gone to great lengths to point out some of the challenges SDSU faces, but that article seems to point out similar problems UNO faces if the NCC folds.

Now, I'm a big NCC fan. It will always be my conference as I spent 5 years competing in it. However, the writing on the wall is not looking good. The very article you asked us to take a look at focused heavily on the NCC issue and it was an article meant to introduce us to the Herbster, so it's obviously a valid concern.

If you would, without the caustic anti-SDSU rants, please enlighten me with how your situation is any different than ours? UNO has a problem with conference affliation. SDSU has a problem with conference affiliation. If the NCC does implode how is UNO's problem any different than SDSU's?

Mavericks#1
01-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Milwaukee,

I don't disagree that our conference situation is not the best. I will say that fledgling or not, we are in a conference and at this time and you are not. I will say that I have very little doubt that both the MIAA and Northern Sun would be happy to take UNO right now, especially the Northern Sun. SDSU on the other hand seems to have very little interest from any conference right now. Too me that is the difference.

Mavs #1

P.S Milwaukee, you used the word caustic?? Your giving linebackers a bad name. I like my linebackers big and stupid and willing to run through a brick wall. Not to stereotype, I just don't see Ray Lewis or Mr. Butkus using a word that big.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
01-14-2005, 02:14 PM
I don't think the NCC's future is a dire as it is sometimes presented, but I do think the collapse of the NCC is a possibility. The thing that would worry me if I was UNO, and USD for that matter, is that they have to spend each day wondering what UND is going to do. SDSU may have put themselves out on a ledge with the conference affiliation, but UNO and the rest of the NCC seem to be living in constant fear that UND will someday decide to make the jump to 1AA. Then the rest of the NCC is left to scramble. I'm not sure that situation, although different than SDSU's, is any better? Your thoughts on that?

- Milw

By the way, I think my wife would tell you that there are many times I fit into the big and stupid stereotype. Well, at least stupid.

Mavericks#1
01-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Cheesehead (I mean that in a good way being a Packer/Ahman Green fan)

I do think that UND is kind of holding us hostage in a way. But we might beat them to the punch by bolting to the MIAA. Then they would be left holding the bag. Heading south on 1-29 during basketball and football sounds better to me than making the trek up North on 1-29. Our new AD sounds like he has a good pulse of whats going on.

Mavs#1

P.S Don't feel bad, my wife questions my intelligence quite often. Not to mention the fact that Picture Geek (JBNJBQ) had called me an idiot over 5,000 times. Top that!!!!!

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
01-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the MIAA already say thanks but no thanks to UNO's inquiries about possibly joining the league?

Mavericks#1
01-14-2005, 03:04 PM
I think that UNO said thanks but no thanks after MO Rolla bolted to see what became of NCC. According to article Truman State and Southwest Baptist might leave the MIAA which would open another spot.

bigjake
01-14-2005, 06:15 PM
I agree - it was uno who said no thanks to the miaa. But make no mistake about it if und leaves the league we are in a bad bad place. But in all probability the miaa would probably love to have uno/usd in their league (at least I hope so). The miaa is a league of haves and have nots and clearly usd and uno would be haves in that league making it a lot stronger. I was really hoping that uno would take the miaa invite - why they didn't baffles me. I would love to go regularily to cmsu, washburn,mo western , etc for games instead of always worrying about terrible weather up north during bb season. We can't afford to go d1 but if we ever were forced to go - we are a big urban area that would be a good media market for a few leagues. But there is no doubt that following the ncc isn't as much fun as it was 5 years ago. Also, one other thing that has always irked me was that sdsu didn't give as much notice as ndsu did to the league. Seems a lot more decent to have given us the year they should have. They were in this league for 80 years and they could have waited one more year but I guess for some reason you felt you had to walk lock step with ndsu. I think you are in a worse place than we are but we aren't in a good place at all.

Mavericks#1
01-15-2005, 07:48 AM
I am calling my shot now. I think SDSU will win tonites game. I think they are due to play well at home and the bigger crowd will have them energized.

Rabbitlivinginverm
01-15-2005, 08:49 AM
What's going on here? A civil discussion with Mav1 and BigJake? Mav1 predicting a Jacks win? Is the world coming to an end?

But seriously, I've enjoyed and learned a lot about UNO, the future of the NCC and the future of MIAA on the last couple of pages.

Rabbitlivinginverm
01-15-2005, 09:03 AM
And what's up with the UNO basketball team...2 in a row to UND?

UND tops Mavs again
The Associated Press

published: 1/15/2005

Fighting Sioux turns back UNO

Mike Johnson scored 20 points and grabbed eight rebounds to lead North Dakota to a 73-60 win over Nebraska-Omaha on Friday in Grand Forks, N.D.

It was the second win for the Fighting Sioux (16-3, 2-0) over the Mavericks (15-3, 1-2) in less than a week. North Dakota beat Omaha 78-73 last Saturday in Omaha, ending the Mavericks' 12-game overall winning streak and 14-game home winning streak.

A 3-pointer by Johnson at the 6:39 mark of the first half Friday gave the Sioux the lead for good, at 18-16. They built a 32-22 halftime lead, then made 15 of 17 free throws in the second half to seal the win.

The Mavericks made just five of 24 3-point attempts on the game, and shot only 58 percent from the free throw line.

They were led by Chris DeSpain with 15 points. No other Omaha player scored in double figures.

Keith Parks added 17 points for the Sioux, and Evan Lindahl had 13 points and nine rebounds.

Mavericks#1
01-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Rabbitt in verm,

UNO for the first time played with no passion last night and deserved to lose. Probably hitting that dead spot that some teams hit during the season. Even with NDSU and SDSU going D1 the NCC is still pretty solid. North Dakota is a good team. We will be back. Mckenna is too good of a coach to let this go on for a long period. Tough game at USD on Thursday. We will see if they can turn it around.

filbert
01-15-2005, 11:12 AM
I have to say I enjoy the tone of the recent posts here. I tend to avoid the smack board, but had a free moment, took a peek over here and was very pleasantly surprised.

Thanks, all, for producing a very interesting and entertaining discussion . . .

Rabbitlivinginverm
01-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Rabbitt in verm,

UNO for the first time played with no passion last night and deserved to lose. Probably hitting that dead spot that some teams hit during the season. Even with NDSU and SDSU going D1 the NCC is still pretty solid. North Dakota is a good team. We will be back. Mckenna is too good of a coach to let this go on for a long period. Tough game at USD on Thursday. We will see if they can turn it around.

No doubt, UNO will be back. But chances of a conference title are quickly fading. Still have 2 vs. USD and 2 vs. MSU-M. I still expect UNO to advance further than USD in the regions.

Mavericks#1
01-15-2005, 03:44 PM
I have to say I enjoy the tone of the recent posts here. I tend to avoid the smack board, but had a free moment, took a peek over here and was very pleasantly surprised.

What you don't find my smack entertaining and interesting? ? ? Not even Mike Nelke?

Mavericks#1
01-15-2005, 05:59 PM
looks like my prediction might be holding up.

jackmd
01-15-2005, 06:26 PM
My prediction, the only way mav doesn't sleep alone tonight is if he wins on nickel slots and scores a trick. Let us know ;D.

Mavericks#1
01-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Give me one of your South Dakota chicks and I will show you what a Rabbitt does best.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hey Doc, No Viagra needed here.

filbert
01-16-2005, 06:07 AM

What you don't find my smack entertaining and interesting? ? ? Not even Mike Nelke?

"Dying is easy, comedy is hard."

bigjake
01-16-2005, 06:53 AM
I am fired up for my UMKC game tomorrow. I will be leaving Omaha around noon to drive down to KC. Unfortunately I have not been invited to any of the Jacks many pregame celebrations. I am sure all 20 fans will be having a great time and I wish I were invited. Just kidding. Am looking forward to seeing Hale Gym. I have only seen UMKC play in Municipal Aud. but they save those dates for the big boys. Maybe some day you will acquire that status. I serious doubt it but you never know. Umkc 75- sdsu 62. Your one hope is that umkc is looking past you - heck I will bet only half that team could point out where SD is on a map and none of them would know where Brookings is much less that it is the home of the jacks.
Seems a shame I can't put this on the umkc thread but I am still on suspension from that thread. What a shame.
Actually as much as I am looking forward to this game I am even more anxious to see how you do against the Bellevue Bruins. That is a monumental upset waiting to happens.
Go Roos and Bruins!!

jacksfaninne
01-16-2005, 10:50 AM
- heck I will bet only half that team could point out where SD is on a map

Now there's an observation that sure speaks highly of the academic program at UMKC. How many do you think could spell SD (just the abbreviation, not the entire name of the state, for gosh sakes)?

mitchellrabbit
01-16-2005, 01:13 PM
[quote author=bigjake .
Actually as much as I am looking forward to this game I am even more anxious to see how you do against the Bellevue Bruins. That is a monumental upset waiting to happens.
Go Roos and Bruins!![/quote]

didnt bellevue lose to a terrible 5-14 midland and only beat a horrible DWU, 5-16 team by only 5?

Mavericks#1
01-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Did 89 Rabbitt die? I thought he had a computer surgically attached to his waist with his finger above the delete button. If he doesn't hurry back I am taking myself off double secret probation or whatever I am on.
I think he is at a Tony Robbins seminar improving his glass is half full attitiude. I am sure he will have all these Zig Ziglar quotes to pass on to jake and myself telling us we need to get rid of that "stinkin thinkin"
Later, I got to go wait for that Tony Robbins infomercial so I can get signed up too.

Mavs #1

filbert
01-16-2005, 03:48 PM
I'd guess he's on his way back to KC from Brookville after the Jacks' demolition of NDSU . . .

Mavericks#1
01-16-2005, 11:26 PM
Which team is going to show up against UMKC? The team that laid an egg against Wayne State or the team that demolished NDSU? I say somewhere in between. I say you lose a close battle at the end. I still say that 4,500 fans for the NDSU game is below -par for you guys. Be wary of Bellevue they do have a good team and a good coach. I think you will win but don't over look them.

Mavs #1

SDSUFAN
01-17-2005, 04:17 AM
definitely the NDSU team will show up and I think our rookies are getting over their fears and will play their best game ever.

89rabbit
01-17-2005, 06:45 AM
If he doesn't hurry back I am taking myself off double secret probation or whatever I am on.

Don't worry, I am ALWAYS watching. ;)

Go State! ;D

Mavericks#1
01-17-2005, 07:10 AM
You probably have been on as a guest all weekend or have multiple user names as you accuse big jake of. Anyways good to have you back, I think. So are you going to watch the rabbitts and the roos tonite?

89rabbit
01-17-2005, 08:01 AM
Mavs,

I was not on at all this weekend, and unlike Jake (it is not an accusation, he has admitted to having multiply user names) I only post as 89rabbit on this and any other board I go to.

Thanks for the welcome back, I think. Finally, yes I will be at Hale Arena tonight to watch the Jackrabbits battle the Roos.

Go State! ;D

Mavericks#1
01-18-2005, 04:08 AM
I have a feeling Big Jake might post today.

filbert
01-18-2005, 05:42 AM
Which team is going to show up against UMKC? The team that laid an egg against Wayne State or the team that demolished NDSU? I say somewhere in between. I say you lose a close battle at the end. I still say that 4,500 fans for the NDSU game is below -par for you guys. Be wary of Bellevue they do have a good team and a good coach. I think you will win but don't over look them.

Mavs #1

The answer: both teams showed up. Bad Jacks in the first half, Good Jacks in the second.

Mavericks#1
01-18-2005, 05:46 AM
IMO the rabbitts need to learn how to play for the full 40 minutes. How many times have they been way up or way down only to see a comeback either beat them at the end or come up short on the rabbitts end. Sign of a young team. Maybe next year it will be better.

OK_Jackrabbit
01-18-2005, 05:51 AM
IMO the rabbitts need to learn how to play for the full 40 minutes. How many times have they been way up or way down only to see a comeback either beat them at the end or come up short on the rabbitts end. Sign of a young team. Maybe next year it will be better.

Exactly right. And it would be nice if, once, we would defend the three point line.

Mavericks#1
01-18-2005, 07:51 AM
Big Jake,

You have been waiting for this day for three months yet you are running no smack for your Roos?
I will do it for you Go Roos!! way to pound the rabbitts.

bigjake
01-18-2005, 11:59 AM
What a game. Great 1st half for the Roos and for whatever reason they let down in the 2nd half and almost let it go. Their anouncer in post game show was complimentary of the Jacks effort and don't quit attitude but did comment on how UMKC probably ran out of gas in the 2nd half from their long bus trip (I guess those things are relative) from western illinois over the weekend. Also, he said the roos were probably looking ahead to their game with iupui later in the week. So the jacks did catch umkc a little tired and looking ahead. sdsu was lucky to be sandwiched between 2 league opponents.
Positives for sdsu
1. They outdrew ndsu in kc
2. they didn't quit and they showed more heart than I thought they would. A lot of teams would have packed it in down by 25.
3. Berans is a really good player
Bottom line is you lost by 10 when I thought you would lose by about 15 and you could have lost by a lot more if the circumstances were different. Maybe help is on the way but it just didn't look like you have a lot of players who can help you down the road at the d1 level. Now maybe that will change but it will probably take time unless you go the juco route and we all know the cost of going that route.
Prediction - we will come to Brookings next year and smack you worse than we did this year.
By the way I heard absolutely no talk about sdsu eventually being in the mid cont conference but I am sure some people will post rumors about how you are as good as in after that gutty performance. Let the rumors begin!! Go Roos!!
Seems a shame I can't put this on the umkc thread that was made especially for me.

OK_Jackrabbit
01-18-2005, 12:30 PM
A diplomatic and pretty fair post by BigJake. (I have to admit, I miss the good old, wild west smack days before BigJake and Mavs#1 were banished to this thread.)

I do think there are some good players there in addition to Beran, just not enough of them. Remember there are a couple of quality freshman redshirting, and there's another recruiting class before UMKC comes to Brookings next year. We'll see. I think the Jacks are two or three years away from being pretty decent.

I know nothing about the Midcontinent Conference, so I can't respond to that. I would think we'd all be pretty circumspect about any conference rumors by now.

Mavericks#1
01-18-2005, 09:25 PM
Just wondering if the womens NDSU vs. SDSU game will draw more people than the mens game?

89rabbit
01-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Prediction - we will come to Brookings next year and smack you worse than we did this year.

Now you are just being silly. UMKC graduates 4 Seniors who accounted for 55 of UMKC's 95 points. The Jackrabbits graduate 3 Seniors who accounted for 9 of SDSU's 85 points. ::)

Go State! ;D

89rabbit
01-18-2005, 10:19 PM
By the way I heard absolutely no talk about sdsu eventually being in the mid cont conference but I am sure some people will post rumors about how you are as good as in after that gutty performance. Let the rumors begin!! Go Roos!!

I guess you didn't pick up a copy of the Kansas City Star when you got into town on Monday. David Boyce (the Roo's beat writer) wrote ". . . The Jackrabbits left the North Central Conference in the NCAA Division II and are now in the infant stage at Division I. South Dakota State is an independent looking for a new conference, and the Mid-Continent Conference might be a good fit."

Go State! ;D

Mavericks#1
01-19-2005, 05:38 AM
the Mid-Continent Conference might be a good fit

Big difference between might be a good fit and is a good fit. Keep in mind this is the opinion of a fish hack.
Dude might change his mind when he has to make the 6 hour drive up I-29 in the middle of winter next year.

89rabbit
01-19-2005, 06:19 AM
Big Difference between "absolutely no talk" and being part of a story in the Kansas City Star. ;)

Mavericks#1
01-19-2005, 09:13 AM
I am baffled why you didn't schedule USD this year. That game is a cash cow for you guys. Guaranteed 7,000 show compared to the 1,000 that show up to watch you play Upper Iowa another D2 school. I seems as though generating revenue for you guys is an afterthought, when to me it should be on the front burner. I am not an AD, I just play one on smackboards, but that game seems like a no brainer to me.

JACKGUYII
01-19-2005, 09:17 AM
They would only play us a home/home. We compromised with a Brookings/Sioux Falls game and they refused. I'm not sorry about never playing in the grain bin again.

Mavericks#1
01-19-2005, 09:32 AM
I know that D1 schools don't typically play away games at D2 schools but in this case I think that it would have been worth it for you guys. Nebraska and Creighton are going through a similar thing right now in that they now play one time a year and because the revenue generated is so high people want a home and home every year to bring in twice the income.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
01-19-2005, 09:42 AM
I miss the rivalry with the U but am a little relieved we didn't play them this year. They would be a big favorite in the game and I'm not sure I could stomach the shat thrown our way if they beat us twice in our first year of D-1. However, I think regardless of our team's strength, there's nothing like a State-U game in the HPER. The buzz for that game starts and lasts for weeks.

bigjake
01-19-2005, 10:50 AM
The mid cont really has no over arching theme among the schools that are in their conf but when push comes to shove I will bet their members will want to go after independent teams southbound as opposed to northbound. Just a guess but there does seem to be real resistance to the plains bc of weather and expense to get to. Try pricing some tix to fargo and sioux falls. Cost a fortune unless you happen to get really lucky.
I would put you at a 40-60 chance to get into the mid cont conference long term. But if I were a coach of winter sports in the mid cont I would push my ad/college pres. to look southward. Much more pleasant experience to travel to. I think nebraska sucks during the winter and our weather pattern is much closer to kansas city's weather pattern than it is to south and north dakota's weather
Props to the Jacks for not quitting. I think I have seen umkc over the years get down by 20 or so about 5 or 6 times and they have always packed it in. Your effort was commendable and is a testimony to good coaching and strong will among the players. Despite that though it does not change the central thesis of my argument - unless you go the juco route (even then I doubt you will succeed and juco guys will probably drive your coach crazy with the added challenges they bring) you will not get the quality d1 men's bb players necessary to compete ever on a mid major level. Time will tell but I will bet scott nagy will age a lot in the next five years.

JACKGUYII
01-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Give me a break about the weather. Last time I checked most teams play basketball and volleyball inside. I wouldn't call Kansas City or Omaha that much of an improvement with regard to weather in the winter.

OK_Jackrabbit
01-19-2005, 07:22 PM
Pre-emptive self-flagellation:

Yes, Morningside beat us at home tonight. Yes, this is SDSU's worst team in decades. Yes, UNO and USD (Augie, too?... ugh...) would most likely hand us our asses if we played. Yes, it's disappointing and frustrating and even embarrassing.

But, it's not the end of the world. Nagy is a good coach, and there are some decent young players there (Beran, Green, Casey, Holdren, Loney) so I'm still hopeful for next year and the year after. It doesn't make this debacle seem any less painful, though.

I realize "wait until next year" is a cop-out. But... um... wait until next year.

Thank you sir, may I have another. :-[

jackmd
01-20-2005, 06:20 AM
Not sure things will be much better next year. Granted, they can't be any worse but it seems there are no leaders on this team and I am not expecting a freshman or JC transfer to fill the leadership role. Serious changes may be in the not to distant future for this team.

jackrabbit1979
01-20-2005, 06:24 AM
Ben Beran is the leader of this team. You would have seen that if you were at the game last night. He pretty much carried the team on his back and almost beat a decent Morningside team practically by himself. He has the talent and attitude on the floor to lead the team i think it will show more next year as he will be the most seasoned member of the team. If he improves the same amount over this summer as he did last summer we will have a serious D1 player leading our boys. He also was one of the few to show some fire last night.

Rabbitlivinginverm
01-20-2005, 06:49 AM
Another kid who brings some excitement and energy to the floor is Makenzie Casey. He seems to be coming out of his shell and is making plays on offense and defense.

JACKGUYII
01-20-2005, 10:18 AM
I say continue to give the majority of minutes to the young guys. Giving minutes to Hokenson and Giever based on what they have provided thus far is a waste. I realize they have contributed much in practice over the years, but it's time to start thinking about future years.

OK_Jackrabbit
01-20-2005, 12:54 PM
I say continue to give the majority of minutes to the young guys. Giving minutes to Hokenson and Giever based on what they have provided thus far is a waste. I realize they have contributed much in practice over the years, but it's time to start thinking about future years.

I could be imagining things, but it does seem like Casey, at least, is getting more minutes.

Mavericks#1
01-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Morningside ? ? ? ? I get back from out of town and see that you got thumped by a NAIA school at home. What losing to D2 schools wasn't good enough? Are you going to start a new losing streak to NAIA schools at home? I know some good high school teams down here in Omaha that might give you a good game. They might want a home and home to get put on your schedule. Did I mention thatt both our mens and womens teams beat USD at Vermillion last night, Bellevue is no pushover. What's bad is that if Bellevue does win, I don't know if you would call that an upset.

Mavs #1

P.S. Mayville State called and they want a rematch

Rabbitlivinginverm
01-21-2005, 02:47 PM
What losing to D2 schools wasn't good enough?

NAIA D2 School, mind you.

89rabbit
01-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Really, once you drop bellow D-I who cares. D-II, NAIA it is all the same. ;) ;D

Go State! ;D

Mavericks#1
01-21-2005, 07:53 PM
My predictions for this week: I think your women are due for a letdown game. I was considering pickin an upset, but I am picking SDSU in a nailbiter Amy Ruley is a hall of fame coach and I think her team will be ready. Home court will get you the win. I will guess the crowd will be close to the mens game. I can't believe I am saying this but I am starting to feel sorry for your mens team. I think they bounce back and beat Bellevue. All Pennsylvania Super Bowl even though that is opposite of what I want.

Mavs #1

OK_Jackrabbit
01-22-2005, 06:41 AM
I can't believe I am saying this but I am starting to feel sorry for your mens team. I think they bounce back and beat Bellevue. All Pennsylvania Super Bowl even though that is opposite of what I want.

Mavs #1

Good win by UNO over USD at Vermillion. I was rooting for them.

Mavericks#1
01-22-2005, 09:30 PM
I think your women are due for a letdown game. I was considering pickin an upset, but I am picking SDSU in a nailbiter Amy Ruley is a hall of fame coach and I think her team will be ready

I should have gone with my gut feeling on this. Tough loss for your ladies.

Mavericks#1
01-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Not much talk going on about the Bellevue game. Will more than 1,000 people show up? Lets get the rabbitts fired up. We have to keep that NAIA losing streak at home alive. If you do lose this game, let the suicide watch begin.

Mavs #1

Rodentia
01-25-2005, 09:19 AM
If you are going to attempt suicide, I think we'd all enjoy watching. :P

rabbit85
01-25-2005, 09:28 AM
Not much talk going on about the Bellevue game. Will more than 1,000 people show up? Lets get the rabbitts fired up. We have to keep that NAIA losing streak at home alive. If you do lose this game, let the suicide watch begin.

Mavs #1

LOL. Thats a good one mav fan! I mean, if I was trying to lay down some smack on another teams message board I would have never thought about making fun of their struggling basketball team. I mean, the way you were making fun of our upcoming game, and still found a way to incorporate last weeks loss into the line! Pure genius. Its soooo amazing how you can come up with insult after insult after insult.... even though they all pretty much say the same thing, but never mind that, the genius of the original idea of making fun of the basketball team for losing is enough to keep any insult alive for the rest of the year!

You're an idiot. You make fun of JBNBQ for posting basically the same things about pictures over and over, and then turn around and post the same message in the form

XXXX team lost last week. HAHAHA. XXXXX teams coach must really be regreting the D-I move now. (You'll now talk about how the D-I move was a mistake and any attempt at saying otherwise is an excuse for losing). XXXXX teams coach is going to (some purposely riduculous thing like quit, kill themselves, have an ulcer etc. etc.)

Your an idiot. Come up with something better or don't bother.

Mavericks#1
01-25-2005, 09:32 AM
Why would I want to committ suicide when my mens basketball team is doing awesome. We are not losing to NAIA schools at home and getting beat by D2 schools by 26 points. After your loss to Bellevue you might want to make sure that your shower rod is sturdy enough to hold you.

Mavs #1

Mavericks#1
01-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Rabbitt 85,

Geez, I don't remember any creative smack that you have run. I am sorry that the truth hurts. If you are so smart, come up with some good smack that I would be entertained by. You seem to be an expert on smack. Certain people have written that they enjoy my smack and find it funny. I don't recall anyone commenting on how insightful and funny your posts are. Maybe you can join JBNJBQ in finding some stupid pictures. I have a feeling that is all the better you could do.

Mavs#1

Mavericks#1
01-25-2005, 07:23 PM
I can't believe I am saying this but I am starting to feel sorry for your mens team. I think they bounce back and beat Bellevue. Will more than 1,000 people show up?

Nice win over Bellevue. Must have either been bad shooting or good defense. I had a feeling you would win and bounce back. I think your attendence should be a concern.

Mavericks#1
01-26-2005, 05:05 AM
South Dakota schools land western Iowa football recruits

The state of South Dakota will be getting the services of two of western Iowa's top high school football players.

Harlan Community senior Kevin Kruse has given a verbal commitment to the South Dakota football program, while Council Bluffs Abraham Lincoln senior Chris Johnson has pledged his loyalty to South Dakota State.

Kruse, a 6-foot-2, 200-pounder, narrowed his decision to NCAA Division II schools USD and Northwest Missouri State before selecting the Coyotes. His father, Clifford, said Kruse visited the Vermillion campus last weekend, where he was offered a partial scholarship.

Kevin Kruse called the USD coaching staff Monday night to tell them he was accepting the offer.

"After he made that phone call, you could tell it was just like lifting something off his chest," Clifford Kruse said.

Kevin Kruse was hoping to visit Northwest Missouri State, but hadn't received an expected phone call from the Bearcats to set up the details, his father said, so he decided to act on USD's offer.

Kruse ran for 2,011 yards and 41 touchdowns last season, including a Class 3-A championship-game record 273 yards on 21 carries as the Cyclones blistered Decorah 42-7 for the 3-A title. The 3-A state player of the year also played defensive end for the Cyclones. Clifford Kruse said the USD coaches project his son as an outside linebacker in college.

Abraham Lincoln's Johnson also gained more headlines for his play at running back. The 6-2, 220-pounder ran for 692 yards in the first three weeks of last season, but a severe ankle injury hampered his production the rest of the way. He finished with 1,192 yards on 172 carries, and also played linebacker for the Lynx.

Lynx Coach Bob Forsyth said Johnson's combination of size, speed and character will make him an outstanding college player.

"He'll be a captain for them some day," he said. "He's going to flourish there."

Johnson, who scored a 27 on his ACT, was contacted by a variety of schools, from the Ivy League to Division III. He narrowed his choices to Division I-AA SDSU and Division II Augustana (S.D.), visiting both. He decided on the Brookings-based school late last week.

Forsyth said Johnson is also expected to become an outside linebacker.

"They did a great job recruiting him," Forsyth said.

Mavericks#1
01-28-2005, 03:28 AM
Man this board is dead. I am off probation in two days and you all are putting me asleep.

SDSUFAN
01-28-2005, 05:45 AM
Man this board is dead. I am off probation in two days and you all are putting me asleep.

How about those Bellvue Bruins? Did you catch the score? 63-53 IN FAVOR OF THE JACKS. Attendence 1023 so you got that right.

OK_Jackrabbit
01-28-2005, 06:00 AM
I'm looking forward to the end of double-secret probation for Mavs and Jake. Let's get back to smack.

Rabbitlivinginverm
01-28-2005, 07:24 AM
Mav-

Where's your pal BigJake been lately? Must be spending his time on the D2 boards. I'm also anticipating your release from double secret probation. Good luck. How long do you think you'll last before you violate the terms and conditions of your probation and it gets revoked? 2 months is my bet. ;)

Mavericks#1
01-28-2005, 07:50 AM
How long do you'll last before you violate the terms and conditions of your probation and it gets revoked? 2 months is my bet.

Vegas has the over/under at one week. ;D

NorCalJack
01-28-2005, 08:56 AM
I was looking through the achives of this site and I noticed a thread stating that Wayne State beat UNO in men's basketball last season on Dec. 11, 2003. :P

Did UNO win the NCC last year? I thought so.

Maybe the NCC should look into adding Wayne St. (Neb) into the conference.

Mavericks#1
01-28-2005, 09:27 AM
They did beat us last year but not by 26 points and not at home. I have heard that Wayne State doesn't want to increase football schollies from where they are at. We would love to have them in the conference.

Rabbitlivinginverm
01-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Hey Mav,

89 hasn't been around for a while, do you have the nuts to post on another thread before you're off probation?

Mavericks#1
01-28-2005, 09:59 AM
If he doesn't hurry back I am taking myself off double secret probation or whatever I am on.

Don't worry, I am ALWAYS watching.

Rabbitt in Verm

I threatened to do it before and this is the response I got. You should know better than to questions whether or not I have the nads to do it. Look at my history. I wouldn't run smack at another school on their smackboard unless I had some nads.

Mavs#1

Rabbitlivinginverm
01-28-2005, 10:03 AM
It doesn't take too much courage (or nads) to run smack on another teams smack board for crying out loud ;). It's takes bigger nads to walk across this sheet of ice they call a parking lot within the next hour so I can begin my weekend a little early! ;D

Rodentia
01-28-2005, 11:01 AM
[quote author=Mavericks#1I wouldn't run smack at another school on their smackboard unless I had some nads.[/quote]

That's hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. It doesn't take any courage to talk trash online.

89rabbit
01-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Hey Mav,

89 hasn't been around for a while, do you have the nuts to post on another thread before you're off probation?

Please don't tempt Mav, he has a hard enough time following the rules. ;)

Mavericks#1
01-28-2005, 01:16 PM
89 Rabbitt

I have not broken any of your rules since I have been on double secret probation. Even hardened criminals get good time for good behavior. So tommorow I am free to post where I want, right? It is the 29th you know.

89rabbit
01-28-2005, 01:26 PM
*From the Moderator

You are correct. Mav, Big Jake, and Sport_Buff come off of probations tomorrow.

Mavericks#1
01-28-2005, 01:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/jr4311/16367.jpg

Sports_Buff And Jake

We off probation party tommorow at my house. You Rabbitt fans are invited. Even you 89 Rabbitt!!!!!!

89rabbit
01-28-2005, 02:07 PM
I just got back from 4 days in Florida, so I don't see a trip to Omaha in this weekend's plans, but thanks for the invite! ;) :D

bigjake
01-28-2005, 03:46 PM
I too am very excited about coming off of probation. It has been a humbling time but I have accepted my penance with as much grace as I can muster. I do think I will be back as a kinder gentler poster especially since we are coming upon the season of Lent.
I must admit that I have missed sdsu and ndsu a lot this year. Not much in basketball bc we can fill our schedule with other interesting schools from the rmac, miaa, and even northern sun. But I do miss your fb team a lot bc we can't come up with enough good opponents to keep the fb season entertaining week after week.
Finally I was highly amused with 1st Row FAnatics post on the Big Sky Conference. Actually he is a fair poster and doesn't just kill us for differing but there comes a time when it is time to put the Big Sky to rest. Now is the time. You guys are almost like the boyfriend who just won't go away. It hasn't gotten to stalking but is past the annoying stage. I am sure the BSC would like you to go away. You may get the MId Cont or some other league but a little dose of reality is in order. Say goodnite to the BSC!! IT is becoming a very unhealthy addiction for you SD people - kind of like Oklahoma people and rooster fighting!

89rabbit
01-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Do you really want to talk about unhealty addictions? :o ;)

Go State! ;D

OK_Jackrabbit
01-29-2005, 05:58 AM
kind of like Oklahoma people and rooster fighting!
Don't forget catfish noodling. That's another Okie favorite, for some reason.

JBNJBQ
01-29-2005, 07:55 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/jr4311/16367.jpg

Sports_Buff And Jake

We off probation party tommorow at my house. You Rabbitt fans are invited. Even you 89 Rabbitt!!!!!!

NICE PICTURE!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Mavericks#1
01-30-2005, 03:17 AM
I am glad you liked the picture. Means more coming from the picture king. ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ
03-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Men's Regional Pairings:

1. Metro St. vs 8. Northern St.
2. UNO vs 7. Winona St.
3. USD vs 6. Neb. Kearney
4. Mankoto vs 5. Fort Lewis

Women's Regional Pairings:

1. UND vs 8. Fort Hayes
2. Moorhead vs 7. St. Cloud St.
3. Regis vs 6. Duluth
4. Concordia vs 5. Metro St.

Mavericks#1
03-08-2005, 10:38 PM
JBNJBQ,

How come when you start a thread you never have any replies and no one views it. I am almost tempted to reply just to make you feel better. So instead you post under a thread that no one has posted under in forever.

Mavs #1

JBNJBQ
03-09-2005, 04:39 AM
I usually don't converse with idiots, but I will make an exception this one time.

DII playoff schedules only fit under this thread. I made no comments with the post. It is, what it is. No response is necessary or expected from anyone for most of the things I post.

I know you and Fat Jake get off coming to this board and "visiting" with the "BIG BOYS". You love it when a DI fan responds to your stupid questions or comments. Somehow it must make you both feel significant?

I have no problem with that. I have always been kind to the less fortunate. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

bigjake
05-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Maverick1 - This is basically between you and me since people don't come onto our thread. Did you see where the jacks might be forming a league with the likes of longwood, jersey inst of tech, among others. They will be traveling from Texas to New York, to Utah to Indiana and other places. That will rank almost with the Hawaii Rainbows in miles traveled. Some brutal travel.
What is your opinion Mav? I think it tends to help scheduling but those players better be good at studying on a bus bc they will be spending a lot of their college exp. on one.
But to the jacks credit they are now up to 42 fb rides on the way to 63.

89rabbit
05-02-2005, 05:36 PM
I have been hearing that DSU wants to go NCAA D-II and join either the NSIC, or the NCC for some time now. Here is another story that hints at that.

Here are highlights from the Fargo Forum:

A downsized DAC10 to consider its future

By WAYNE ORTMAN Associated Press Writer
The Associated Press - Monday, May 02, 2005

SIOUX FALLS, S.D.

The Dakota Athletic Conference, down to eight schools for the next school year, has the invitation for new members ready and waiting.

Finding a taker may be a bit harder, said LaVern Jessen, commissioner of the DAC10.

The University of Mary, at Bismarck, N.D., will leave the conference to join the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference in a move from NAIA to NCAA Division II.

Financial problems at Si Tanka University at Huron leave its future in doubt. Classes ended last month and the school has filed for bankruptcy.

The DAC has reworked its athletic schedules for next year to remove Si Tanka games. Mary will play out its DAC schedule, but as a nonconference opponent.

"Eight (schools) is a workable number," Jessen said. `We would like to have 10 teams. That's ideal, particularly for football because you have nine conference games and it's very difficult to find more than one nonconference game.

"However, having said that, it's not easy to find new members. As we look around the area there isn't a team that we know of looking for conference membership. We are going to obviously attempt to find interested schools, but frankly at this time we don't have any good prospects."

A 10-member DAC is allowed two qualifiers in each the men's and women's NAIA basketball playoffs, but it will be allowed only one qualifier with eight members.

"We've requested an exemption to that rule next year because of this thing happening so fast," Jessen said.

Black Hills State University, South Dakota Tech and Dakota State University join North Dakota schools Dickinson State, Jamestown College, Mayville State, Minot State and Valley City State in the DAC roster next year. . . .

Dakota State's membership in the DAC isn't set in concrete, either.

"I've got to look at what is best for DSU. We are at this point in time trying to be a strong member to what will eventually be the DAC8," Wockenfuss said. "But at the same time we've been very open in our interest in looking at other avenues, other possibilities, mainly for budget reasons and some fan interest and alumni interest. Our present geographic alignment doesn't allow us any opportunity there." . . .

Anybody hear anything coming out of Madison?

Rabbitlivinginverm
05-02-2005, 05:57 PM
I haven't heard anything. I used to talk to a former DSU AD quite frequently but haven't spoke to him in about a month. If I bump into him, I'll ask him what's going on. He usually has some good insight...

gojacksgo
05-02-2005, 11:30 PM
I posted this on the Argus too.

This last winter, they were thinking about it, but the committee chose to stay in NAIA for now, but look for another conference if at all possible, which pretty much isn't, unless somehow the GPAC would let them in. Wouldn't make too much sense though.

Now, with the DAC losing 2 members, it could happen in the future, but I think they would want to fully fund their athletic programs first. They are giving out alot more money for scholarships now - I'm not sure how far they have to go yet though in order to get up there with the rest of the teams in the NSIC(I'm guessing). They weren't anywhere near what Mary was giving out - Mary will actually lose the amount of scholarships they can give out by moving to D2 though.

RabbitinVerm, Which former AD do you talk to...Giolio?

Mavericks#1
05-03-2005, 04:06 AM
Maverick1 - This is basically between you and me since people don't come onto our thread. Did you see where the jacks might be forming a league with the likes of longwood, jersey inst of tech, among others. They will be traveling from Texas to New York, to Utah to Indiana and other places. That will rank almost with the Hawaii Rainbows in miles traveled. Some brutal travel.
What is your opinion Mav? I think it tends to help scheduling but those players better be good at studying on a bus bc they will be spending a lot of their college exp. on one.
But to the jacks credit they are now up to 42 fb rides on the way to 63.

Good question Big Jake. I think for SDSU to find a conference it will be a bunch of misfits thrown together much like their football conference. The Big Sky keeps telling them no and The Valley doesn't seem to want to expand so I think its going to be a weird conference if they are going to get into one. As far as the travel, I think Greyhound has their $99 anywhere you go special still going on. Maybe they can take advantage of that.

Go Mavs! ;D

Mavs#1

JBNJBQ
05-03-2005, 04:34 AM
The "New" NCC

Not Championship Caliber

You guys forget the NCC wanted SDSU.

SDSU wanted something bigger and better!

89rabbit
05-03-2005, 06:17 AM
I posted this on the Argus too.

This last winter, they were thinking about it, but the committee chose to stay in NAIA for now, but look for another conference if at all possible, which pretty much isn't, unless somehow the GPAC would let them in. Wouldn't make too much sense though.

Now, with the DAC losing 2 members, it could happen in the future, but I think they would want to fully fund their athletic programs first. They are giving out alot more money for scholarships now - I'm not sure how far they have to go yet though in order to get up there with the rest of the teams in the NSIC(I'm guessing). They weren't anywhere near what Mary was giving out - Mary will actually lose the amount of scholarships they can give out by moving to D2 though.

RabbitinVerm, Which former AD do you talk to...Giolio?

Thanks for the info. I could totally see Winona St. moving to the NCC and Dakota State taking their place in the NSIC if they were ready to go (had their scholarship funds in place). It would give Northern a nice in-state rival.