PDA

View Full Version : Whose having a better year?

Mavericks#1
04-24-2005, 01:54 PM
UNO Football: NCC conference Champions

UNO Womens Soccer: NCC Champions and 3rd straight final four.

UNO Wrestling: Back to Back National Champions

UNO Womens Swimming: NCC Champions and top 10 in Nationals

UNO Mens Basketball : NCC conference Champions and Regional Berth

UNO womens Tennis: NCC conference Champions

UNO womens volleyball : regional berth

Baseball and Softball are on track to win conference titles.

That would make eight conference titles and one national championship.

SDSU on the other hand has 00000 titles, but a ton of humilating losses and a whole bunch of woulda, coulda and almosts to throw in there.

You guys keep chest bumping each other about going D1, while we fill up our trophy case. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mavs #1

ballz
04-24-2005, 02:05 PM
I won two science ribbons in 8th grade, I was pretty proud of myself. Do those ribbons mean I had a better year scientifically than a guy who was up for the Nobel prize but didn't win. I don't think so. UNO can keep filling their cases up with the NCAA JV awards, SDSU wants something more. Pretty pathetic that your even bragging about the awards you got from the NCC, as if thats the same thing as when SDSU, NDSU, and UNC were in it.

Mavericks#1
04-24-2005, 02:27 PM
From what I have seen, the teams that SDSU, NDSU or UNC have in the sports that UNO won titles in... it would not have mattered if they were back in the NCC or not. Need I remind you that we pounded you in soccer, swimming and tennis. The way SDSU fans celebrate every morsel of victory, it is like they have won the Nobel Prize when in all reality they have just won two eighth grade science ribbons. Maybe you can use that knowledge that you gained from those two science ribbons to build your D1 tennis program an indoor facility or a stadium for your D1 soccer team so they don't have to play in a city park anymore.

Mavs #1

Texas_Jacks_Fan
04-24-2005, 02:32 PM
soccer?
swimming?
tennis?

::) ::)

Mavericks#1
04-24-2005, 02:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/jr4311/7959.jpg

Is this you Ballz? Way to parlay those two eighth grade science ribbons.

GoJacks
04-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Mavericks#1: :D

Congrats on your impressive sports season this year at uno. When is the parade? and ribbon cutting ceremony ??? Have you started building the trophy room yet?

SDSU knows quite well how those trophies look in our trophies cases. WE HAVE PLENTY OF THEM. Obviously this is something NEW to you because if SDSU, ndsu or unc were in the your conference UNO would not NEED TO BUILD A SINGLE TROPHY CASE.

WE are not greedy so you and the rest of the NCC can enjoy what is leftover from our departure.

Mavericks#1
04-24-2005, 02:47 PM
D- Town,

Do me a favor and in that big trophy case that your talking about. You know that thing that you won't use for a long time... if ever. Find me a trophy that says NCC Conference Champion Football. I will save you the trouble unless it reads 30's,40's or 50's you won't find one. Good luck against Missouri Rolla this year. That has all the makings of a true D1 football game.

Mavs #1

ballz
04-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Nice comeback.... a picture HAHAHAHA. I've got a good idea now, why don't you call JBNJBQ an idiot for posting pictures again... hypocrite. You're pathetic.

SDSUFAN
04-24-2005, 05:38 PM
D- Town,

Do me a favor and in that big trophy case that your talking about. You know that thing that you won't use for a long time... if ever. Find me a trophy that says NCC Conference Champion Football. I will save you the trouble unless it reads 30's,40's or 50's you won't find one. Good luck against Missouri Rolla this year. That has all the makings of a true D1 football game.

Mavs #1

Hey you will find 3 NCC title from 1961, 1962 and 1963.
Oh by the way when will the janitors dust off those old faded red banners hanging in the dump call SAPP Field House? When is UNO going D1? Probably never.

SiouxFallsJack
04-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Can anyone explain how the NCC champion in football doesn't make the playoffs?

How far has the once mighty NCC fallen?
Not since 1978 has the conference champion not made the playoffs.

Mavericks#1
04-25-2005, 12:28 AM
Nice comeback.... a picture HAHAHAHA. I've got a good idea now, why don't you call JBNJBQ an idiot for posting pictures again... hypocrite. You're pathetic

Ballz,

Why don't you get more than five posts before you start talking smack. What kind of rabbitt fan are you?
Two of your five posts have been spent responding to me. You had better spend some time figuring out how to beat Creighton. They are a very solid baseball team.

Mavs #1

JBNJBQ
04-25-2005, 04:37 AM
I won two science ribbons in 8th grade, I was pretty proud of myself. Do those ribbons mean I had a better year scientifically than a guy who was up for the Nobel prize but didn't win. I don't think so. UNO can keep filling their cases up with the NCAA JV awards, SDSU wants something more. Pretty pathetic that your even bragging about the awards you got from the NCC, as if thats the same thing as when SDSU, NDSU, and UNC were in it.

I am very impressed with ballz:

That is a great assesment of the situation down at UNO. (They need to change their name O-NO)!

The "new" NCC the Junior Varsity of the NCAA! I like that! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

filbert
04-25-2005, 06:24 AM
Judging from the title of this thread, UNO may want to re-direct some resources from their successful small college athletic program to an obviously inferior English department.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
04-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Yay for UNO!!! They're the best!!! I'm sorry, I'll put in UNO grammer for you to better understand. There the Best!!! I love those Mavs!!!! I see now that I should hate SDSU because rooting for them is pointless. Thank you Mav 1!!!! SDSU bad, UNO good!!! Electricity bad, candlelight good!!!

OK_Jackrabbit
04-25-2005, 11:39 AM
There the Harvard of eastern Nebraska.

bigjake
04-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Well at least OK-Jackrabbit knows UNO is in eastern ne. I truly believe that less than 50 percent of people in SD could accurately point to Omaha on a map. Good job Jackrabbit. Rabbit I could point to Norman right now on a map.
One topic I just don't hear about these days is your fund drive for the 20 million. Usually no news is bad news.
So while you have had some successes this year (fb, some women's sports and the smash hit of equestrian) you still haven't shown that you can establish the necessary underpinnings to a successful program - MONEY.
PS- I see where 89 Rabbit's other team (KU Jayhawks) signed a 27 million dollar shoe deal with Adidas. You people need to get Fred on the phone to ink a deal with some company to bring some of that money your way now that you are in the big time of D1.

89rabbit
04-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Jake,

SDSUFAN just posted about the the $20 million fund raiser yesterday.

Jake, FYI, I am more partial to Kansas State. The wife is a Wildcat and we "State" schools need to stick together. ;)

I did hear that your AD was working on a deal. Word on the street is that Nike offered UNO a pair of Air Jordans circa 1993 with brand new laces. Only time will tell if Omaha's "other" team will jump on this sweet D-II deal. ;)

Go State! ;D

filbert
04-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Yay for UNO!!! They're the best!!! I'm sorry, I'll put in UNO grammer for you to better understand. There the Best!!! I love those Mavs!!!! I see now that I should hate SDSU because rooting for them is pointless. Thank you Mav 1!!!! SDSU bad, UNO good!!! Electricity bad, candlelight good!!!

Beer Bad! Fire Pretty! (random BTVS reference)

Mavericks#1
05-03-2005, 06:59 AM
UNO just keeps winning. Every single program is having success.

Mavs Break School Record for Wins in Split
GRAND FORKS, ND -- The Nebraska-Omaha baseball team broke the school record for wins in a season Monday afternoon by defeating North Dakota, 6-3 for the ballclub's 34th victory of the year.

North Dakota won the opening game of the twinbill, 6-4.

The Mavs sent 10 batters to the plate in the third inning of the night cap and jumped out to a 4-0 lead. Lyle Lafountain went 2-for-3 with two RBIs. David Bodnar and Min Sung also had two hits a piece to lead the UNO attack. Tim Huber (2-2) scattered six hits over six innings and struck out seven to pick up the win. Brandon Kelley came on in the seventh inning to notch his fifth save of the season.

Nebraska-Omaha also grabbed a 4-0 lead in the opening game behind Josh Shirk's three-run blast in the first inning and Brian Frew's RBI double in the second but the Mavs had the lead slip away. The Sioux struck for a run in the third on a solo home run and took the lead for good with four runs in the fourth inning behind four walks and three base hits. UNO had the bases loaded in the final inning but failed to score.

The previous school record for wins in a season (33) was set back in 1976 and matched in 2002.

UNO (34-16, 11-5 NCC) will host Minnesota State, Mankato in a four-game series on Friday and Saturday at the Ballpark at Boys Town.

89rabbit
05-03-2005, 07:12 AM
UNO just keeps winning. Every single program is having success.

Mavs Break School Record for Wins in Split
GRAND FORKS, ND -- The Nebraska-Omaha baseball team broke the school record for wins in a season Monday afternoon by defeating North Dakota, 6-3 for the ballclub's 34th victory of the year.

Congrats to the Mavs on their record. As you said at the top of your post, every single UNO program is having success this season, the NCC's first without NDSU and SDSU. Coincidence ???

Mavericks#1
05-08-2005, 06:44 AM
Yesterday while you guys were spending your time googling for pictures and finding definitions for words, we at UNO were consumed with winning titles again.

A. UNO women won the NCC title in your home state and could host a regional tournament for a chance at a National title.

B. UNO baseball beat the MSU 3 out of 4 to win the conference title and thus is hosting the conference tournament. We outscored MSU in one of those games 22-1. We continue to add to the wins to the best year in the history of our program.

C. The womens tennis team advanced to the National tournament by defeating Washburn in the regional in their own backyard.

So you guys keep talking about how you might do this and could do this in the future and we will keep winning titles which is what I am most interested in and what I most care about.

Go Mavs! ;D

Mavs #1

JBNJBQ
05-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Happy Mothers Day!

bigjake
05-08-2005, 05:46 PM
As usual Mav- a tremendous post!! I truly believe that your contributions to this site deserve some kind of recognition in the Rabbit Hall of FAme up there in BRookings. Not only have you done a great job recently but you have maintained a level of excellence on this site over the past year that really merits some kudos. Unbelievably informative, funny and full of useful insights. Nice job, Mav!!

Mavericks#1
05-09-2005, 02:53 AM
As usual Mav- a tremendous post!! I truly believe that your contributions to this site deserve some kind of recognition in the Rabbit Hall of FAme up there in BRookings. Not only have you done a great job recently but you have maintained a level of excellence on this site over the past year that really merits some kudos. Unbelievably informative, funny and full of useful insights. Nice job, Mav!!

Thanks for the props Big Jake. You have had many classic posts yourself. We will have to meet sometime at Maverick game and compare notes. While I don't think that I will ever make the Rabbit Hall of Fame, I would like to Nominate JBNJBQ to the Hall of Shame for having all these posts on here that no one ever reads or replys to. Even his own people don't find any humor in what he has to say or his weak picture smack (yawn). I got to go now to check if we have won another championship in the last 24 hours. We have won so many lately I am losing track.

Go Mavs! ;D

Mavs#1`

JBNJBQ
05-09-2005, 04:31 AM
Trolls ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

GoJacks02
05-09-2005, 01:10 PM
To: Big Jake and Mavs#1

Good thing you two have each other. Which one of you wears the pants in the relationship?

As far as your posting about the success of UNO Sports...thanks for the updates. It's hard to find any coverage of UNO sports in the Herald because the Mavs are always buried behind the real programs in Nebraska.

UNO can go on to be the most successful DII program in the country, and that news still wouldn't be as exciting as seeing the Jacks open up the season with the Illini.

You don't become strong by lifting the same weight the rest of your life. If you want to better yourself, you become comfortable with saying that challenges to short term success pay dividends in the future.

I couldn't bench 300 lbs the first time I tried. I knew, though, that I would never be able to if I kept preparing by working out with 100 lbs on the bar.

It's time that you understood, Big Jake and Mav#1. This move isn't about bringing home national champtionships in every sponsored sport.

NDSU, UNC, and SDSU - hell, even UND and UNO - were strong enough DII programs to immediately be competitive at the DI-AA conference level. In fact, Oien and others tried to convince the NCC members that the entire conference was ready to jump to Division I. Some programs, though, were scared.

South Dakota State is becoming stronger. I have talked to many an athlete and read many a quote that referred to how playing against top competition has made our athletes better.

Even if State fans turn a deaf ear, Big Jake and Mavs#1, get your shots in while you can. Soon, the letters UNO will only make State fans think of a crappy card game.

filbert
05-09-2005, 05:36 PM

. . .

Even if State fans turn a deaf ear, Big Jake and Mavs#1, get your shots in while you can. Soon, the letters UNO will only make State fans think of a crappy card game.

With respects, when I hear the letters UNO I think first of the University of New Orleans. Perhaps we'll be playing them soon in hoops--I wouldn 't mind a road trip to New Orleans.
;D

bigjake
05-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Go Jacks 2 , I disagree with your post but I respect the fact that you write a good post. You don't just post stupid pictures but rather have some nice thoughts in there. Don't agree but you make good points. Enjoy your time in d1 obscurity. We will be in d2 obscurity but at least we will be winning in d2 obscurity.

JBNJBQ
05-10-2005, 04:49 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
05-10-2005, 07:52 AM
Go Jacks 2 , I disagree with your post but I respect the fact that you write a good post. You don't just post stupid pictures but rather have some nice thoughts in there. Don't agree but you make good points. Enjoy your time in d1 obscurity. We will be in d2 obscurity but at least we will be winning in d2 obscurity.

As a team that was the laughing stock of the NCC (Morningside used to look forward to playing UNO), you should be thanking SDSU and NDSU for jumping up to D1. With the two state schools out of your league, your programs will see more available recruits and less competition in your conference play. For years, SDSU has been taking many of the top DII recruits from UNO. Now, UNO only has to worry about losing the best of the best. Of course, you'll never admit it, but SDSU and NDSU jumping to D1 actually helped ensure you will remain successful at the DII level and not fall back into the "guaranteed win" that your program used to be.

Rabbitlivinginverm
05-10-2005, 08:28 AM
As a team that was the laughing stock of the NCC (Morningside used to look forward to playing UNO)

Ha! Enough said.

Mavericks#1
05-10-2005, 09:05 AM

Good thing you two have each other. Which one of you wears the pants in the relationship?

As far as your posting about the success of UNO Sports...thanks for the updates. It's hard to find any coverage of UNO sports in the Herald because the Mavs are always buried behind the real programs in Nebraska.

UNO can go on to be the most successful DII program in the country, and that news still wouldn't be as exciting as seeing the Jacks open up the season with the Illini.

You don't become strong by lifting the same weight the rest of your life. If you want to better yourself, you become comfortable with saying that challenges to short term success pay dividends in the future.

I couldn't bench 300 lbs the first time I tried. I knew, though, that I would never be able to if I kept preparing by working out with 100 lbs on the bar.

It's time that you understood, Big Jake and Mav#1. This move isn't about bringing home national champtionships in every sponsored sport.

NDSU, UNC, and SDSU - hell, even UND and UNO - were strong enough DII programs to immediately be competitive at the DI-AA conference level. In fact, Oien and others tried to convince the NCC members that the entire conference was ready to jump to Division I. Some programs, though, were scared.

South Dakota State is becoming stronger. I have talked to many an athlete and read many a quote that referred to how playing against top competition has made our athletes better.

Go Jacks02

I liked your post but there were a few things that I disagree with. Opening your season with Illinois would be more exciting than being the most successful program in D2?? I continue to fail to see how getting trounced is exciting. UNO basketball opens with Nebraska,but other than being curious to see how we compete, the game does little for me. We will lose and to me that is never fun. I have been around D1 sports my whole life living in Omaha so I guess seeing teams playing big name schools just doesn't do it for me anymore. But your school and state being new to D1, I guess I can understand why you might get a little excited. But speaking for myself I would guess that will wear off some time in the future for you guys.

I think that the D1 move is great for your state and as an academic institution. Being the only state without a D1 school was not a good thing for South Dakota. My point is that from an athletic point of view I am not sure this was a good move for SDSU. Since that is what this board is set up for, that is why I will be skeptical of the move and talk about it in this forum. You will never get an arguement out of me that the move was not good for your state.

In using your weightlifting analogy, If your goal is to bench 300lbs, based on what I have seen lately with your athletic program, you are barely lifting the bar. I wish you good luck in trying but you have a very long way to go. Remember Thomas Edison had over 1,000 inventions fail before he discovered electricity. Does anyone ever remember the 1,000 failed inventions...No, they just remember the one that succeeded. I think on the Fantasy Island that you all live in, that failure is something that you haven't considered. I am just here to remind you that the possibility is real. Got to get back to my Fantasy Islands reruns. Boss... De Plane De Plane.

Go Mavs! ;D

Mavs #1

Mavericks#1
05-10-2005, 09:13 AM
As a team that was the laughing stock of the NCC (Morningside used to look forward to playing UNO),

Funny how things come full circle... Now Morningside looks foward to playing SDSU. Nothing like beating a D1 school on their home floor to make your season.
;D ;D ;D ;D Ha! enough said

Go Mavs! ;D

Mavs #1

jackmd
05-10-2005, 09:51 AM
I liked your post but there were a few things that I disagree with. Opening your season with Illinois would be more exciting than being the most successful program in D2?? I continue to fail to see how getting trounced is exciting. UNO basketball opens with Nebraska,but other than being curious to see how we compete, the game does little for me. We will lose and to me that is never fun. I have been around D1 sports my whole life living in Omaha so I guess seeing teams playing big name schools just doesn't do it for me anymore. But your school and state being new to D1, I guess I can understand why you might get a little excited. But speaking for myself I would guess that will wear off some time in the future for you guys.

I think that the D1 move is great for your state and as an academic institution. Being the only state without a D1 school was not a good thing for South Dakota. My point is that from an athletic point of view I am not sure this was a good move for SDSU. Since that is what this board is set up for, that is why I will be skeptical of the move and talk about it in this forum. You will never get an arguement out of me that the move was not good for your state.

Illinois hasn't trounced us.....yet. Who is UNO opening with next year?

Our struggles are part of the expected course. Scheduling games against Illinois, Kentucky, Georgia So., etc... not necessarily expected.

I would say one win over a program like Illinois would be worth more than DII excellence. A single birth in the NCAA women's or men's BB tournament would definitely be more significant. We left a place that wasn't what it use to be for the promise of a much better place. Cliche, its a journey, a marathon not a sprint.

Lastly, we just don't give a damn what UNO is doing. Please don't update us anymore.

89rabbit
05-10-2005, 09:56 AM
I know in the past I was one of the worst abusers of this rule, however I have changed my ways.

Please don't feed the Trolls.

http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm#WIAT

An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and upset people. . . .

Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.

Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can not be changed by mere words. . . .

The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding others not to respond to trolls.

When you try to reason with a troll, he wins. When you insult a troll, he wins. When you scream at a troll, he wins. The only thing that trolls can't handle is being ignored.

Go State! ;D

JACKGUYII
05-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Let's just ignore them as there have to be more stimulating topics on this board than engaging these two posters who are just seeking attention.

sports_buff
05-10-2005, 12:55 PM
[quote author=89rabbit When you insult a troll, he wins. When you scream at a troll, he wins. The only thing that trolls can't handle is being ignored.

[/quote]

If this is the case then Mav. #1 and BigJake have really been having their way with you. They have been beating your a$$ for about a year now.

People can't ignore them because they are the main reasons most of you get on this board. There is only so much you can say about your sports teams getting their butts kicked. So what else can you do besides taking your frustrations out on Jake and Mav for pointing it out to you.

Mavericks#1
05-10-2005, 02:05 PM
If this is the case then Mav. #1 and BigJake have really been having their way with you. They have been beating your a$$ for about a year now.

People can't ignore them because they are the main reasons most of you get on this board. There is only so much you can say about your sports teams getting their butts kicked. So what else can you do besides taking your frustrations out on Jake and Mav for pointing it out to you.

Amen to that brother!

89rabbit
05-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Nothing we can do about Trolls feeding each other, of course they will grow tiered of this too.

bigjake
05-11-2005, 05:30 AM
Maverick1, Another outstanding post. You are a credit to this site and I truly believe that your participation keeps interest up and keeps people coming back for more. Maybe some day the Jacks will get good enough where a few of their opponent's fans will come onto this site and run some smack. I can't see the Illini fans feeling very threatening by sdsu and coming here to run some smack but you never know.
Great Fantasy Island reference but quite frankly I was more a Love Boat man myself.
You are a hall of fame poster Maverick!!
PS - I like to give props when they are due and you have to give credit to these sdsu fans - at least they have a few hundred people who are interested and who post. I am not registered on the UNC fan site but go over to read their stuff and they only have about 45 registered members. Nobody cares. At least the Jack fans care.

JBNJBQ
05-11-2005, 10:43 AM
http://www.mythes-et-legendes.net/mythes/troll/troll1.jpghttp://www.mythes-et-legendes.net/mythes/troll/troll1.jpg

..........Fat Jake?.................................Maverdink?

I see trolls travel in pairs so they will have someone that will talk to them!;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Mavericks#1
05-11-2005, 11:15 AM
JBNJBQ,

89 Rabbitt has asked you over and over again to quit feeding the Trolls or (best smack runners on this board as I like to call us). Can't you follow simple instructions? When your moderator asks you to jump, you ask how high. So fall in line like the rest of these Rabbitts.

Go Mavs! ;D

Mavs #1

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
05-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Can't you follow simple instructions?

I'm sure that phrase is one that has haunted you since first grade.

GoJacks02
05-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Big Jake and Mavs -

It comes down to what type of person you are - your personal beliefs about the value of winning compared to competing.

When State was a part of the NCC - which WAS the ACC of Division II - I always thought that there were schools playing at the DI-AA level that couldn't compete with Jacks athletics. When SDSU decided to jump, it left me saying, "FINALLY!"

When I look at the first year against Division I competition, I am encouraged.

The Jacks took down Southern on the gridiron - that's not a small accomplishment. A winning record isn't either, even if we there was a blowout from Georgia Southern mixed in (there aren't many teams at the I-AA level that Georgia Southern doesn't blow out).

In volleyball, the Jacks stamped out teams like UTEP and Boston College.

The women's basketball team knocked off plenty of teams from upper-tier schools, and put a scare into some nationally ranked teams too.

Sure, the men's basketball team - historically a point of pride for the department - didn't do well that year. We lost most of our leadership to defection or infection, and truthfully, we wouldn't even have been a very good DII team this past year. It's not going to stay that way, though. And you both know that just as well as I do - if you are honest with yourselves.

In my personal opinion, without challenge there is no room to excel. The spirit of competition is what motivates me - giving my all against all opponents regardless of whether I know I can win. Character is built in such ways. I don't need a scoreboard to tell me I am better than someone.

The Jacks CAN compete in Division I. In their first year, and most assuredly as the Jacks reputation grows.

Reclassification shows courage. There are some big kids on the block, and we're not backing down from anyone. We'll take our lumps, and we'll be wiser for it. We've already won a couple streetcorner fights, and soon we'll have the respect of the neighborhood.

Mavericks#1
05-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Big Jake and Mavs -

It comes down to what type of person you are - your personal beliefs about the value of winning compared to competing.

When State was a part of the NCC - which WAS the ACC of Division II - I always thought that there were schools playing at the DI-AA level that couldn't compete with Jacks athletics. When SDSU decided to jump, it left me saying, "FINALLY!"

When I look at the first year against Division I competition, I am encouraged.

The Jacks took down Southern on the gridiron - that's not a small accomplishment. A winning record isn't either, even if we there was a blowout from Georgia Southern mixed in (there aren't many teams at the I-AA level that Georgia Southern doesn't blow out).

In volleyball, the Jacks stamped out teams like UTEP and Boston College.

The women's basketball team knocked off plenty of teams from upper-tier schools, and put a scare into some nationally ranked teams too.

Sure, the men's basketball team - historically a point of pride for the department - didn't do well that year. We lost most of our leadership to defection or infection, and truthfully, we wouldn't even have been a very good DII team this past year. It's not going to stay that way, though. And you both know that just as well as I do - if you are honest with yourselves.

In my personal opinion, without challenge there is no room to excel. The spirit of competition is what motivates me - giving my all against all opponents regardless of whether I know I can win. Character is built in such ways. I don't need a scoreboard to tell me I am better than someone.

The Jacks CAN compete in Division I. In their first year, and most assuredly as the Jacks reputation grows.

Reclassification shows courage. There are some big kids on the block, and we're not backing down from anyone. We'll take our lumps, and we'll be wiser for it. We've already won a couple streetcorner fights, and soon we'll have the respect of the neighborhood.

Go Jacks02,

I have to say that you are one of the better posters on this board. Your womens basketball did impress me with how well they did. The reason why your football team did well is that they are in D1aa which is the perfect spot for them. I wish UNO could play football in D1AA but the powers to be say that you can't compete in D1aa in football without other sports following to D1. I do admire the courage that it took for the University to make the move.
Where we disagree is with the importance of winning compared to competing. The only place that I can think of that competing is rewarded is 1st and 2nd grade YMCA rec leagues where kids get a participation medal. After that they start keeping score and keeping standings. If it was all about competing than no coach would ever lose his job. A coach with no wins could argue "Hey, we are competing I should be able to keep my job" Why does the NCAA pay the BCS schools millions of dollars? Because winning does matter. If your goal is to compete. Good luck! I want to UNO to win. Coming home from watching UNO lose is not fun even if we competed hard.
Keep the good posts coming 02.

Go Mavs! ;D

Mavs#1

GoJacks02
05-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Mavs 1

You're right, that is where we disagree. Here's why.

As soon as sports turn professional, they become about winning and losing as a means to an end. And, I will even grant you that at BIG TIME college programs - I am talking about Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, and programs of that nature - it's about winning. Not only do those programs create national acclaim for their host institution, they also contribute financially. Only the top Division I programs can claim that kind of success.

With State, and many programs of equal size, the athletic program isn't chained to the budget and bottom line. It's understood that the program will lose money. The value of athletics is found in the way in which it is uniquely tied to public opinion. It's an easy way to mobilze the alumni and it attracts the attention of prospective students.

Jumping to Division I - the mere idea - has distanced State from any other South Dakota institution.

Now, I know you said you agreed that the jump was good for State, so I am not going to try and hammer that home. I just wanted to point out that there are only a few programs in the nation that have a reason to be obsessed with wins and losses.

There's a philosophical divide, obviously, between your mentality and mine. Perhaps its the way we were raised in sports and what sports means to us individually.

To me, sports is a methaphor for life.

Success is born through a combination of hard work, compassion, and preparation. When the time comes, you forget the pressure and execute. The object is to win, sure. But, no one wins every time. You hold your head high no matter the outcome, though, because you gave all you could.

Forgive all the cliche, but, there's a reason sports lingo creeps into our everday vernacular - because sports an easily identifiable and quantifiable blueprint for success in life. But, to care so much about wins and losses trivializes the nature of competition.

Since success is ALWAYS directly proportional to the size of the challenge, I appreciate the fact that State has decided to provide it's student athletes with a chance to achieve greater things.

When State was competing for recruits with other area institutions, I thought the decision-making process came down, basically, to non-sports factors. What do they want to major in? Where do they live? Where did their parents go? Now, though, I am proud to say that prospective athletes can choose State based on their committment to sports - to testing themselves against the toughest challenges.

It matters to me that future athletes will graduate from State better prepared to succeed in life - since, after all, "most of them will turn professional in something other than sports." It only means good things for State's future.

Go Jacks!

OK_Jackrabbit
05-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Mavs 1
And, I will even grant you that at BIG TIME college programs - I am talking about Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, and programs of that nature - it's about winning. Not only do those programs create national acclaim for their host institution, they also contribute financially.

FYI: OU Athletics contributes not a penny to the educational mission of the university. In fact, they have yet to repay the educational part of the university for a $12 million interest-free loan made years ago when the football team was in the tank. Two years ago, the academic part of OU cut $19.7 million from its budget and that $12 million plus interest would have come in handy... meanwhile, athletics bought $1.5 million worth of new furniture for their offices that year. Neato.

If Mavs1 wants a big-time program like that, he can have it. Athletics won't make SDSU a household name like OU. But athletics won't bankrupt the university either. And SDSU athletics will never operate under its own set of financial and academic rules. Give me competition and integrity any day.

GoJacks02
05-12-2005, 10:13 AM
OK_Jack...

I was operating from an NCAA research document exploring the budgetary success of college programs, and the relative small number that come out on the positive side - which then, in turn, don't act as a drain on University resources.

I didn't know about the finacial situation at Oklahoma, but, I am at least glad you appear to agree with me about State. DI-AA college athletics still has a chance to take advantage of what is pure about college sports, and I think that's important.