Mighty Mavs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mighty Mavs

Great article on the bright future and great success UNO athletics has had over the past few years. I have only taken a few of the highlights from the article. Biggest athletic budget of any D2 school and top 40 of D1AA!!!!  Are you kidding me!!! This is coming from a former AD from your state. The state of your athletic financial well being comes from a few posters on this board. Big difference coming from an unbiased source.
    Don't look over your shoulder now rabbitts... that noise you hear is a herd of Mavericks on the move.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=...;u_sid=1414823

School's commitment helps make UNO force in Division II athletics

When Bob Danenhauer stepped down as athletic director last August, he was credited with helping bring about a golden age for the UNO program - after all, the Mavericks had won 15 North Central Conference championships in eight years.

It turns out they were just warming up.

Seven of the 15 University of Nebraska at Omaha programs have won NCC titles this school year. Four others finished second.

But UNO would be a power in any Division II conference. After the winter sports season, the school ranked eighth nationally in the Sports Academy's Directors' Cup standings measuring overall athletic performance.

Strong showings this spring in baseball, and women's softball, golf, tennis and track should help the Mavericks finish near the top.

The UNO wrestling team is excused for finishing second in the conference. It won its second straight national title.

Women's teams won NCC titles in soccer, softball, swimming and tennis.

"I can't remember any year quite like this," said UNO sports information director Gary Anderson, whose connections to the school date back several decades.

But in the mid-1990s, the school committed to funding each athletic program at or near the limit allowed on either the national or conference level.

"And we wanted to be competitive in all our sports - not just put our eggs in a few baskets and tell the rest of the sports, 'Best of luck.'"

UNO's success is no surprise to Kelly Higgins of Omaha. Among other pursuits, the former South Dakota athletic director serves as a consultant, compiling and analyzing things such as athletic department budgets.

He said UNO has the highest Division II budget in the country, just ahead of North Dakota, and would rank among the top 40 in Division I-AA. UNO's budget is $6.7 million. Danenhauer said the athletic department budget tripled during his stay and that contributions and donations from boosters rose from about $150,000 to close to $1 million annually.

"You've got good coaches, a lot of money and a great location," Higgins said. "You combine all those factors and it makes success a whole lot easier."

The hockey program was an instant revenue producer that boosted the athletic department budget and helped support four new women's programs - soccer, golf, swimming and tennis.

And because of the dorms, it has helped us recruit the in-state and area athlete. If you look at our rosters compared to 10 years ago, you see that."

"The kids might want to know about the athletic success," he said. "But the parents are more concerned about the overall quality of the school and the education. That's what shows that this is really a great place to be."

Re: Mighty Mavs

First off, yawn, this is D-II news.  Why is it on our board?  That being said, let me once again offer up my congrats on your recent success.  As I have pointed out before,  UNO finally starts winning after SDSU, NDSU and UNC leave, coincidence?  I think not.  Rather then bash the Rabbits every chance you get maybe you should be thanking us since our moving to D-I has allowed you to taste some D-II success.  Finally isn't that just like a former USD AD to misrepresent the facts.  He lumps in the money that UND and UNO spend on D-I Hockey (both school's pride and Joy, hey maybe there is something to this D-I thing after all, huh Mav.   ) with your D-II budgets and declares that UNO has the largest D-II budget.  I wonder if misrepresenting the facts like that helped lead USD athletics to it's current state.  As USD's current AD said USD has a "chronic funding issue".  :

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I would expect more success and recognition from a school with all the advantages of UNO. I am sitting in a room with 40 people in southern MN and I bet not one of them has any clue about UNO. Not one.

Keep aspiring to be SDSU. Its flattering.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

And it says plenty about the character of a University that supposedly has the budget and the talent to compete at the DI level, but chooses not to.

"Courage is of the rarest traits in human nature, which goes lengths to explain why most wisthstanding tales are rooted in its majesty."  

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks02
          And it says plenty about the character of a University that supposedly has the budget and the talent to compete at the DI level, but chooses not to.

"Courage is of the rarest traits in human nature, which go lengths to explain why most wisthstanding tales are rooted in its majesty."  

Go Jacks02

I have seen a lot of guys go into fights with a ton of courage only to come out with a black eye and broken nose. There comes a point when a guy keeps getting of the canvas only to get beat down again that you start to wonder is it courage or is it stupidity.

Mavs #1

Comment

There comes a point when a guy keeps getting of the canvas only to get beat down again that you start to wonder is it courage or is it stupidity.

Did you mean off the canvas?

Uno....where they care about winning, not speling.

Comment

Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.

John Quincy Adams

6th President of the United States of America (1767 - 1848 )

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
                Don't look over your shoulder now rabbitts...
                You've summed it up perfectly, Mav: UNO -- forever the followers.
                @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne

You've summed it up perfectly, Mav:  UNO -- forever the followers.

Jackfaninne,

REMEMBER THE STORY OF THE TORTISE AND THE HARE. WE ARE THE TORTISE AND HOW IRONIC YOU ARE THE HARE. WE ALL KNOW WHO WON THE RACE DON'T WE!

MAVS#1

Comment

Mavs #D2

Remember the story about the obsessed D-II fan who persistently posted pointlessly on a fan board.

He was an antagonist at heart. He didn't just post messages about the sports team, he went after inviduals and entire cultures.

One fine afternoon, something good happened to him. It was about time.

Comment

Ah yes, Mav, but there's one big difference between the fable you reference and reality: Obviously, the tortise in the story had the will and desire to compete with the best and the fastest. We all know that you and your fellow UNO Turtles are happy as can be racing toward mediocrity.
                      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.

Comment

Ah yes, Mav, but there's one big difference between the fable you reference and reality:  Obviously, the tortise in the story had the will and desire to compete with the best and the fastest.  We all know that you and your fellow UNO Turtles are happy as can be racing toward mediocrity.

Could not have stated this any better. ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Ah yes, Mav, but there's one big difference between the fable you reference and reality:  Obviously, the tortise in the story had the will and desire to compete with the best and the fastest.  We all know that you and your fellow UNO Turtles are happy as can be racing toward mediocrity.

Mediocrity???? Help me understand how seven conference titles and a National Championship in one year seems medicore to you. If that is medicore, I will take medicore every year. Losing to a NAIA school in basketball.. that cries medicore to me.

Mavs #1

Comment

"in one year ..."

Exactly.  In a year in a conference with the level of competition significantly lowered.  Mediocre=Ordinary.  You can look it up.  And I'm not surprised you'd take that every year.  We wouldn't expect anything more from UNO.

A loss to an NAIA school?  "in one year ..."  Our first year.  Big difference -- we're raising our level of competition.  You're lowering yours.  Good luck to you and your Turtles.

"Mediocrity is excellent to the eyes of mediocre people." -- Joseph Joubert
                            @JacksFanInNeb

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks02
                              Mavs #D2

That is a great tag for Maverdink! I commend you for coming up with it GoJacks02!

MAVS #D2

I like it! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Working...
                              X